Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Slamn Sammy its 1/5th scale with a 81" wing span and a 64 1/2" fuselage. center rear of the wing has been modified to look more scale and the luggage door on the left hides a compartment for the RX and lighting system switches, remote glow plug connection, and the battery compartment for the lights. It will have a TF cockpit kit and dummy luggage will hide the battery/switch compartment. Landing lights are on their own servo coupled to the flaps to turn them on/off. The nose wheel has a Robart strut made for the kit. The airplane is powered by a Super Tigre .75 side mounted engine with TF discontinued Super Tigre manifold and the original discontinued cowling muffler. I also have two TF plastic spinners (1 red and 1 white) I can use but have decided to go with a Tru-Turn aluminum spinner instead. The markings are vinyl decals made by Decal-it. The pants won't be used since the CAP airplane doesn't use them (Reminds me of police cars with their steel rims and minimal size hubcaps). Two of my sons were cadet officers in CAP and one went on to join as a senior member. He requested CAP livery on this one. He wants them displayed to the cadets to see so I agreed.

Mike

Am I going a little nuts on mods? yes but I'm not the first on this site by a long shot.
MAN! Thats what it's all about. I love scaling them out. My wife bought me a Top Flight gaint scale P40 and a GS P47 for Christmess one year. I had sholder surgery and had to retire and the depressing of the recovery and not being to work anymore was getting to me. Then Santa came and l spent from January-June in front of the Tv with a panel line pin drawing lines and dots. Look at my photo gallery and you will see the out come. The aluminum spinner would be a nice touch. Keep up the good work. =-)

Last edited by slamn sammy; 05-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Pope, you are right BUT you didn't read the post, it says you have to collect it. That is you have to come here to SE QLD to take possession. Old Fart our red is not rocket fuel (it is better that that Margaret River stuff) because we don't add nitro to it.
Sorry about that . I got all excited about having a shot at a right answer that I had a premature pronunciation !! Hang on to the bottle , I'll be up around lunch time tomorrow . I know its a long way but the thought of getting a freebe from you tightwad maroons ( sp ) is worth the trip . Cheers the pope
Old 05-27-2015, 03:14 AM
slamn sammy

Hay There OldFart. l don't see any models in your gallery? Show us some of your work, bet you have some nice plane's!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Popey that is honestly the funniest thing read,thankyou.

Sammy will post a couple here.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:51 AM
slamn sammy

Morning there FlyinOKC. Your name is Mike? If not, sorry about that. if it is, COOL! We need to meet up sometime and go flying! My mother in-law lives in Fort Smith and we go up there all the time from Little Rock. Theres a show coming up there soon at Flight Masteers, as well as in Ok, city. We have to make a trip to Dallas then from there to Ok, City sometime? Was coming in May and had to redo it. Send me a message with a Ph# and l'll holler at you. <[email protected]>

Last edited by slamn sammy; 05-27-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
Morning there FlyinOKC. Your name is Mike? If not, sorry about that. if it is, COOL! We need to meet up sometime and go flying! My mother in-law lives in Fort Smith and we go up there all the time from Little Rock. Theres a show coming up there soon at Flight Masteers, as well as in Ok, city. We have to make a trip to Dallas then from there to Ok, City sometime? Was coming in May and had to redo it. Send me a message with a Ph# and l'll holler at you. <[email protected]>
PM sent Sammy!

Mike
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I'm glad I'm not a maroon.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by blw
Why do you say that? Do you have something to say?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
FNQFLYER

Well people it is a good morning for QLDers. A win is a win especially when you beat the cockroaches (aka NSW). Popey we aren't mean just don't believe in wasting effort. For those interested another flying today, testing a Saito 56 in Texaco configuration. B****y good to be retired on days like this though it is a bit cold. Sammy I empathise, had to stop work after my accident (broken shoulder) I don't expect to get full use of it ever again but I have enough use to do the things I want and need to do so I motor on. Also it helps to have good friends and a flying field 10 minutes away which is arguably the best in Oz. But enough I must pack the car ( I charged the battery last night so it should work) and get on my way.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 PM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Well people it is a good morning for QLDers. A win is a win especially when you beat the cockroaches (aka NSW). Popey we aren't mean just don't believe in wasting effort. For those interested another flying today, testing a Saito 56 in Texaco configuration. B****y good to be retired on days like this though it is a bit cold. Sammy I empathise, had to stop work after my accident (broken shoulder) I don't expect to get full use of it ever again but I have enough use to do the things I want and need to do so I motor on. Also it helps to have good friends and a flying field 10 minutes away which is arguably the best in Oz. But enough I must pack the car ( I charged the battery last night so it should work) and get on my way.
Sorry to hear that, hope it gets better, mine is times two. Keep working it, just don't over do it and 'DON'T LIFT ANYTHING' over 10-15Lbs MAX! Beleave me! Start the work out with heat for 15Min's, than use ice after for 15 after. You can work it out! OH! Buy a lot's of fuel and glue! Get better. Good flying
Old 05-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
Me too it's to close to moron.Sammy blw has a good sense of humour and what he say's is worth listening to.Now down boy and don't chew the good man's arm off woof woof...while i'm at it next time i let you off don't wander next door and cock your leg on the lime green shiny spokes and rims harley next or the owner will come over to our place and probably beat me to death,think of your stomach man..

Sam i'll try and post a pic of the midget it's made for an ax55 or 75 it's got a 115 saito in it.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:33 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Me too it's to close to moron.Sammy blw has a good sense of humour and what he say's is worth listening to.Now down boy and don't chew the good man's arm off woof woof...while i'm at it next time i let you off don't wander next door and cock your leg on the lime green shiny spokes and rims harley next or the owner will come over to our place and probably beat me to death,think of your stomach man..

Sam i'll try and post a pic of the midget it's made for an ax55 or 75 it's got a 115 saito in it.
LOL, I must be a MORON! I don't get it? I see you guys talk from Saito's to motorcycles, we all have a right to be here and l sometimes take things the wrong way, BUT! lf you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all. We should all care about our brothers and hear what they have to say. Just this (IS) not the place for name calling. If l'm not welcome here, l'll not be back. OldFart l'm looking forward to your pick's. blw, where good here. Sorry l jumped at you. l do respect what you have to say. All of you guy's at Club Saito.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, when you lot learn to play "a real man's football" then you can talk. Aerial ping pong doesn't cut it in the real world. For those uninitiated the game the other night (rubgy league a thugs game played by gentlemen according to Dickens) was "State of Orgin where the team players from the real world of football return to their respective states and play for said state and we usually kick "bottoms" cause we are that good. Now to more serious stuff lessons learnt from yesterdays testing, a Saito 56 swinging a 15x6 APC running 10% nitro, 15% oil (this is supplied contest fuel) set up for sports use burns 15mls of fuel in 1 minute 10 secs. With the LSN wound in it will burn same amount of fuel in 2.5 to 3 minutes. 8 mls of diesel fuel in an engine that won't shut off is sheer terror with the throttle wide open (12,000rpm in 2.5 diesel). Problem is a leaking carby after I had burnt out all that damm castor. YS 63 coughed on start up, now won't turn with the starter. Pulls through ok and spins readily without a plug in it, so a few hours in the shop today to sort this lot out. A few options for the long w/end comp and time to make them. The 65 looks like being pressed back into service, but we'll see. Oh yes it is marroon, as in the Caribbean indians who were cannibals, they lived in Jamacia in the 1700's.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:50 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gog8yzoc2mfzkf9/P51B.mp4?dl=0
Saito .56
Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Rudolph Hart

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	decathlon with saito 82 001.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	2099343   Click image for larger version

Name:	decathlon with saito 82 005.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	2099344   Click image for larger version

Name:	decathlon with saito 82 006.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	2099345  
Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 AM
Rudolph Hart

Sammy we seem to take our humour differently over here to there.The one thing i can say honestly is that it's almost never meant in a cruel way to a person,although we all know we can be at times.It's as much about conveying thoughts and feelings with good humour and hoping people you don't know and can't see will get the gist of what you are saying.

The pix above are left to right,a percival mew gull(72") saito 220 engine,an edge 540(84")saito fg57 engine,and last my favourite the midget and 115 engine.I have another three identical one's still in the boxes,you need a good source of spares when you fly these things mate

ps has anyone else noticed that trev can be a bit of a footy snob when it comes to what he lazily calls real football(or foootbaa)as the poms say
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Sammy we seem to take our humour differently over here to there.The one thing i can say honestly is that it's almost never meant in a cruel way to a person,although we all know we can be at times.It's as much about conveying thoughts and feelings with good humour and hoping people you don't know and can't see will get the gist of what you are saying.

The pix above are left to right,a percival mew gull(72") saito 220 engine,an edge 540(84")saito fg57 engine,and last my favourite the midget and 115 engine.I have another three identical one's still in the boxes,you need a good source of spares when you fly these things mate

ps has anyone else noticed that trev can be a bit of a footy snob when it comes to what he lazily calls real football(or foootbaa)as the poms say
I get it there OldFart, Just here calling someone a (MORON) is like calling them a (DUMB AS*) BUT, It's all good. l like your picks. l rely like the racer. Here no one will race, they just want to hang up the runway thinking there a TOC pilot and thats ok, l fly 3D too. But not ALL DAY! Where good, Thanks for the picks.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Old Fart would you have a pict of the Percival ready to fly? Percival built some nice airplanes back in the day.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 AM
DGM

Just a quick word on maintenance. My .72 started to run erratic and then quit in the air., Checking it out on the ground I noticed the engine cylinder was moving. I thought the engine was loose but on checking it out found the four screws holding the cylinder to the crankcase had come loose and allowed the pushrods to slip out of the rocker arm pushrod pockets. The pushrods were pushing directly on the rocker arms themselves so the engine ran but poorly. SOO check them screws periodically.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice to know sounds like something I should add to my post flight checklist.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Somebody obviously disassembled that engine at some point, they are set so tight from the factory that they bend/flex the Allen wrench and make a loud cracking sound when they break loose.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Old Fart would you have a pict of the Percival ready to fly? Percival built some nice airplanes back in the day.
Sorry flyer my computer ate it's harddrive after a long session of looking at ladies of the night,you can google the aircraft,that pic was on an old backup disc,boy do i have some bad habits

Dgm that must be bad luck on the cylinder bolts,they must have been finger tight you don't need to tighten them very much.Put a drop of oil on the thread.Leave the red factory locktite where it is don't add more.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

That's okay Sammy, I think you are a maroon too.

Man DGM, you got away lucky with that much going on with a running engine. Old Fart is right about tightening the screws back down. They are too small to accurately use any torque wrench on, so you have to use your calibrated hand.

Sammy, I got to thinking about how The Pope is a maroon for sure. I wouldn't want to lump you in with him, so I take it back. You aren't a maroon.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Has anyone a link for a YouTube video on removing the valves and valve springs on a Saito? I have a friend's Saito 1.00 that needs a new jug, damaged in a crash. I have to swap out the valve gear and am having a difficult time with the clip removal. I've seen it discussed here, but can't come up with a link to help me with the removal.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYIOKC, . . . "While I'm thinking about it what is the performance difference between the 300 twin with a single carb and the 300 with the dual carbs? I was thinking a single would be easier to adjust but I figured there was a trade off. I have a scratch built project that the prototype was powered with a 270 twin so I was thinking a 300 would be a good choice unless I decide to go over to the dark side and try a gasoline engine." Try this link and enjoy the dark side . . . . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NJ...ature=youtu.be

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.