Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 05-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dan/Sr. Telemaster may be able to help you.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:41 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you all know, to be a Maroon, you have to be a Queenslander of impeccable standing (or born here), and reside in the state, to be a blue (or cockroach), you only have to reside in New South Wales, or claim you are one. Thus that excludes both "the pope" and "old fart" from the exulted levels of maroon dom. Another good day has presented itself so once again I am forced to make my presence felt at the local field. Today it is the 65's turn in a 85% Bomber. I will test it with 15% nitro (Texaco) and a 15x6 prop and with 30%+ nitro and a 13x6 Bolly carbon (duration). Te eyes are working really well after the cataract operations and the flying is just getting better. Oh yes Old Fart I found a spare YS 63 so investigation into the problems with the other one are on hold until after the state champs.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triumphman49
FYIOKC, . . . "While I'm thinking about it what is the performance difference between the 300 twin with a single carb and the 300 with the dual carbs? I was thinking a single would be easier to adjust but I figured there was a trade off. I have a scratch built project that the prototype was powered with a 270 twin so I was thinking a 300 would be a good choice unless I decide to go over to the dark side and try a gasoline engine." Try this link and enjoy the dark side . . . . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NJ...ature=youtu.be
On the contrary, the dual carb engines are easy to balance while the single carb engines are impossible to balance at idle.

There is only a slight performance difference @ WOT.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-31-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:27 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Just so you all know, to be a Maroon, you have to be a Queenslander of impeccable standing (or born here), and reside in the state, to be a blue (or cockroach), you only have to reside in New South Wales, or claim you are one. Thus that excludes both "the pope" and "old fart" from the exulted levels of maroon dom.
TROLL !!!!!!!!!!!! cheers
Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Did someone mention a 1/5th SIG Cub? I just got mine in the air after 2 years building it. Has a Saito 100 GK with Evolution 15x6, and it flies GREAT!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by retransit
Has anyone a link for a YouTube video on removing the valves and valve springs on a Saito? I have a friend's Saito 1.00 that needs a new jug, damaged in a crash. I have to swap out the valve gear and am having a difficult time with the clip removal. I've seen it discussed here, but can't come up with a link to help me with the removal.
No,but this may ease the job a bit.After completely enclosing the assembled head/barrel and your hands in an airtight ziplock clear plastic bag(druggie bag here in aus) you need two bikini clad brunettes standing on either side of you.One should be holding your can of beer with the straw just below your lips,if you panic you are going to suck naturally the other brunette would be doing something like holding your cuban seegar
Old 05-31-2015, 03:50 AM
Rudolph Hart

Be nice popey..
Old 05-31-2015, 04:02 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
No,but this may ease the job a bit.After completely enclosing the assembled head/barrel and your hands in an airtight ziplock clear plastic bag(druggie bag here in aus) you need two bikini clad brunettes standing on either side of you.One should be holding your can of beer with the straw just below your lips,if you panic you are going to suck naturally the other brunette would be doing something like holding your cuban seegar
In these parts we employ well endowed bare breasted redheads for assistance.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:28 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Saito Bud's, I treated my self to about two Saito's worth of new Air Conditioner for my shop. The previous one was a temp until I could afford a larger one. At 8000 BTU it was woefully inadequate in a 22.5 by 22 foot room. This new Amana is 11,600 btu cooling and 10,800 heating with a heat pump and if needed resistance heat. It was 90 plus here yesterday and it ran very little in the Power Saver mode. And so quiet. It weighs 91 lbs but I got it in there by myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0632.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2099669  
Old 05-31-2015, 10:34 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Well, that helped.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by retransit
Well, that helped.
The key helpful operative here is the [plastic baggie that will catch the circlip as it flies out of the grip of the tool (NO!, NOT the blonde or brunette or redhead tool that may be assisting you). And, the circlip will fly away and you will never find it unless it is captured in the baggie. Ask how I know.

Sincerely, Richard
Club Saito #635; Saito FA-56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM
the pope

Be nice popey..
You dug yourself a nice size hole there . Its up to u to get out ! One thing for sure the pope gets into trouble for less . Cheers
Old 05-31-2015, 03:09 PM
FNQFLYER

To more serious matters. We use naked women as assistants here, maybe that is why we are so relaxed. Tried the second YS out yesterday (one I o/hauled a couple of years ago) wouldn't start, problem after stripping it partially was that timing was out 20 degrees. Get ya ever time, I don't know how that happened but I now have 2 of them in bits one series 1 and one series 2. So guess what they go into the tupperware containers and out with either the new Saito 62 or the ever reliable 65. I get an extra 5 seconds engine run over the YS more later. Oh yes the pull off fuel line works with that little diesel to shut it off. 12,500rpm is no longer as terrifying in the little beast.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I don't think 'relaxed' is the right word........
Old 06-01-2015, 03:38 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
I don't think 'relaxed' is the right word........
Barry that only happens some time after you have drunk the glass of wine,it's like expecting a saito to pull peak revs straight out of the box before it's had any serious nitro.

Popey i talk about saito's in a general sense.Like what it feels like to hear one go by when it's well tuned at any throttle setting,if my posts annoy you or anyone else say so here or complain privately to the moderators,they will sort it out or give me a hint and i will retract anything that reasonably could offend a lot of people.Would you post a couple of pix re your saito's and what you think of them? and by the way i reckon you missed the humour in sr's post completely,redheads trump blondes and brunettes,fully clothed..
Old 06-01-2015, 02:22 PM
the pope

Where have I said your post annoy me ? Some I havent a clue what your raving on about but thats O.K. I will try and get some pics but its usually a pain for me . I have a 40 -2x82 - 100twin - and a 125 Cheers
Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 PM
FNQFLYER

Ok a follow up to yesterdays problems with the YS. It was timed incorrectly and after following the recommended method for timing in the YS manner it was still crap. SO pulled it apart and timed it as I would a Saito and guess what 12.900 with a 13x9 APC (it was relaxing on the bench) and 30% nitro. Could not ask for more. Now in the drag racer and will be flown tomorrow to check both the driver (pilot / aimer / what ever) and the aircraft out. Latest thoughts on Texaco engines is moving back to the 50 as it can be tuned for better economy than the 56. I am thinking that muffler design has a contribution here. The old cylinder types appear to be better for this purpose that the new "pot" style. BTB we do not use muffler pressure for Texaco and if I use a 4 stroke it will be my 30.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by triumphman49
FYIOKC, . . . "While I'm thinking about it what is the performance difference between the 300 twin with a single carb and the 300 with the dual carbs? I was thinking a single would be easier to adjust but I figured there was a trade off. I have a scratch built project that the prototype was powered with a 270 twin so I was thinking a 300 would be a good choice unless I decide to go over to the dark side and try a gasoline engine." Try this link and enjoy the dark side . . . . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NJ...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for the link interesting conversion! I know a LHS owner that has been experimenting with the glowplugs made for gasoline engines in other glow engines to see what works so an ignition pack isn't necessary. I am waiting for his report.

Oh by the way what kind of Triumph are we talking about here two or four wheels? I had the four wheel variety, a 59 TR3A great car! I garaged it in winter and there was always the excitement of discovery of what broke when I taking it out for the first time in the spring. The broken Clutch master cylinder spring was a particular interesting event on year. I'll spare you the joke on why Englishman drink warm beer.

Old Fart sorry to hear about the hardrive, another reason airplanes are better than women!

In view of the Aussie requirements to be a Maroon I shall refrain from making the suggestion we start a Maroon brotherhood!

Aussies are a strange lot then my judgement could be somewhat colored from having a close friend from Tasmania (the Arkansas of down under) and we all know nothing good ever came out of that bunch.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Thanks for the link interesting conversion! I know a LHS owner that has been experimenting with the glowplugs made for gasoline engines in other glow engines to see what works so an ignition pack isn't necessary. I am waiting for his report.
Bet he'll need to raise the CR.

Oh by the way what kind of Triumph are we talking about here two or four wheels? I had the four wheel variety, a 59 TR3A great car! I garaged it in winter and there was always the excitement of discovery of what broke when I taking it out for the first time in the spring. The broken Clutch master cylinder spring was a particular interesting event on year.
[/QUOTE]

Gawd, why would you want a car with a tractor engine?

CharleyMGB
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM
DGM

HI, GUYS.. I run all my Saitos on plain old 15% nitro and the same oil. Works great. On another subject, check the four cylinder/crankcase bolts periodically. MY .72 started running rough and losing power.. finally quit in the air. I landed and turned the engine over, noticed the cylinder was wobbling. Upon further check found all four bolts loose and that the pushrods had dropped out of the rocker arm adjustment screw pockets. The pushrod was just pushing on the rocker arm itself. Now I have lockwashers under the four bolts.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Charley

Oh by the way what kind of Triumph are we talking about here two or four wheels? I had the four wheel variety, a 59 TR3A great car! I garaged it in winter and there was always the excitement of discovery of what broke when I taking it out for the first time in the spring. The broken Clutch master cylinder spring was a particular interesting event on year.

CharleyMGB[/QUOTE]

Because when you modify it for speed you still have a wet cylinder design that lets you rebuild it as often as you like. Mine had the electric overdrive so I could idle and do 55! Now if you want a real laugh check out the "Thorsen Supercharger" kit they built for it! They made it sound like it was a bolt on but you better know a good machine shop when you get it! I didn't have that but I had a factory removable hardtop along with my soft top and two sets of side curtains.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by DGM
HI, GUYS.. I run all my Saitos on plain old 15% nitro and the same oil. Works great. On another subject, check the four cylinder/crankcase bolts periodically. MY .72 started running rough and losing power.. finally quit in the air. I landed and turned the engine over, noticed the cylinder was wobbling. Upon further check found all four bolts loose and that the pushrods had dropped out of the rocker arm adjustment screw pockets. The pushrod was just pushing on the rocker arm itself. Now I have lockwashers under the four bolts.
I run 15% Nitro in all my engines 2 cycle and 4 cycle and they all eat it up with no problems.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Charley

CharleyMGB[/QUOTE]

Furgeson held several important patents for tractors, none related to the engine however. Here is my '66 TR4a:

I had a '59 Frogeye in '62 and a '64 MGB in '64. A '66 Porsche in '66. Then got married.
Sincerely, Richard
'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-05 14.00.18-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	2100111   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-05 14.00.18-4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	2100112   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-05 14.00.18-7.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	2100113  
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

Nice!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM
FNQFLYER

I used to eat Triumps with my 240Z except for one modified by a workmate. It was a Spitfire with a 3B rotary engine fitted. Testing day again today, checking out the YS and a Saito 62 for performance. BTB my standard fuel for ALL my engines I use in sports machines is 15% nitro 20% oil (synthetic) and the remainder methanol. Works well and fuel for all models used on a fun day is in one bottle. Fuel costs for home brews is currently running at $7.50 per litre if any one is interested. That is using drag racer nitro (expensive) as opposed to the cheap watery chinese nitro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.