Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
If that's true I'll have to abandon Saito in favor of OS, Laser or Enya. I already got one OS, a .56 Alpha.
Do you have a reason for the APC phobia Dave? They aren't much in the looks department but they are performers.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM
blw

We changed our minds about that invasion thing. But, you guys need to learn the language before coming down here.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, I don't think of it as a phobia, I have about 7 of them, the just don't offer any advantage. Two of the 7 have the pilot holes mis-drilled at an angle, I tried to straighten the holes but that only made them oblong. I don't understand your thinking that the Bolly's are lacking, they work very well for me. I am trying to talk Dar out of a few more of the small ones.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:03 AM
Rudolph Hart

If that's true I'll have to abandon Saito in favor of OS, Laser or Enya. I already got one OS, a .56 Alpha.
Talk about a stubborn prop snob! and anyway os engine look plain ugly
Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by the pope
The reason schuey knew about the accidents before hand was that he knew he was going to cause them ! Some that come to mind is with Damon Hill fighting for the championship in Adelaide . That accident and his reason behind it was outrageous . He should have had that one stripped from him and Im all for a bit of push and shove but he deliberately drove into him because he pulled a clanger and hit the fence rendering his car knackered . The second was with Jacques Villinerve also fighting for the championship , he came off second best that time and he also nearly pushedBarachello into the wall at 300kph + that one could have ended anywhere . There were plenty of others also . I guess he didnt see the sking accident coming or he would have stayed in front of the open fire ! Cheers
It is in poor taste, I think, to kick a man when he is down. Maybe you do think differently "down under". Let us hope that you never end up in a severely compromised state of health, regardless of whose "fault" it is.
Sincerely, Richard
AMA 861960
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 06-18-2015, 05:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I use the brand I think works in the recommended sizes I lean more toward a scale appearance and still use both wood and glass filled props. I have a 14X4 K series on a 1/5th Cub powered by a Saito .80 because it works and its the scale size.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 AM
blw

Barry, I don't think of it as a phobia, I have about 7 of them, the just don't offer any advantage. Two of the 7 have the pilot holes mis-drilled at an angle, I tried to straighten the holes but that only made them oblong. I don't understand your thinking that the Bolly's are lacking, they work very well for me. I am trying to talk Dar out of a few more of the small ones.
Hi Dave. I used the tan colored Bolly's that Dar sent me and they just didn't pull the plane around with the same power of the APCs I had been using. It really was slower and sluggish. This was some few years back. I think both Bollys and APCs are not the best looking props and more could be done for looks. The off center hole is unacceptable. I would return them and call the company to complain. I haven't seen that myself but I'm sure going to check all of my APCs from on. I need to make a board with dowels, etc to check runout anyway. Been meaning to do it for a few years already.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:12 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by blw
Hi Dave. I used the tan colored Bolly's that Dar sent me and they just didn't pull the plane around with the same power of the APCs I had been using. It really was slower and sluggish. This was some few years back. I think both Bollys and APCs are not the best looking props and more could be done for looks. The off center hole is unacceptable. I would return them and call the company to complain. I haven't seen that myself but I'm sure going to check all of my APCs from on. I need to make a board with dowels, etc to check runout anyway. Been meaning to do it for a few years already.
I tried an XOAR 15 X 5 on my FA-91S CDI yesterday. Sure beats he!! out of those Zingers!
Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great.
as far as the saito 450r3.
I know am almost CERTAIN that the engine was assembled with a burr already on the main rod.
REASON. I Could barely turn the engine over before ran it. It Didn't even sound good.

I RAN THE ENGINE AN EVERYTHING RUNS BETTER THAN BEFORE!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Hobbsy

Dan, big brown dropped off a couple of Xoar 9x6's for my little .30's, I'll report how that goes.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM
FNQFLYER

Ed Bollingen make the "brown" props to
1/ Get rid of a lot of stock used in full sized props
2/ When they sold he continued making them.
He wasn't happy with the overall performance but they were good sports props and a cheaper alternative to his carbon fibre props. When they (Bolly Props) were made in china the quality of both went down and you could not get factory balanced props though all that now seems to be better. I personally prefer APC for my sports props. BTB Ed built props to my specs and we had a lot of conversations about props in general
Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
the pope

Hi there Worm , I added that last bit at a bit of humor !Obviously u didn't find that funny which is fine .You have a different sense of humor in the USA but I'm still chuckling at that line still. Here in Aus we laugh at unfortunate happenings . l'll try and be a bit more sensitive in future but I can't promise anything . Cheers the pope
Old 06-19-2015, 03:33 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there Worm , I added that last bit at a bit of humor !Obviously u didn't find that funny which is fine .You have a different sense of humor in the USA but I'm still chuckling at that line still. Here in Aus we laugh at unfortunate happenings . l'll try and be a bit more sensitive in future but I can't promise anything . Cheers the pope
Hi Pope, As you say, we have different senses of humor. Be yourself, don't change for anyone. The audience here on Club Saito is mostly from Down Under anyway.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 06-19-2015, 04:34 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nice one guys and this is tongue in cheek too.Richard true blue aussies are on top not down under as you say,it would be a good business opportunity here to invent a game played with a white round small ball and a long lump of round timber,we are going to call it a world series.

ps i believe popey was accurately descibing events as they unfolded at the time which was said by on air commentators,not now.The f1 driver lived at the edge of ice cold calculation and took that onto the sporting field,the two don't mix readily for fear or favour,money strips away human layers.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:18 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Nice one guys and this is tongue in cheek too.Richard true blue aussies are on top not down under as you say,...
My sincere apologies to all of you true blue Aussies. I will no more forever refer to you as being from "down under".

Sincerely, Richard
Old 06-19-2015, 12:20 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

It could be worse you could call them English!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 PM
blw

Interesting stuff about the Xoars for the 30 and the origin of the tan Bollys. I'll be watching to see what those Xoars do.

I was a bit late noticing that Marcos Ambrose returned to whatever is now politically correct to call down under to start up a racing team. An interesting fact about his racing here is how many times he placed around the top 10. He sort of slipped under a lot of peoples radar.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 PM
blw

Interesting stuff about the Xoars for the 30 and the origin of the tan Bollys. I'll be watching to see what those Xoars do.

I was a bit late noticing that Marcos Ambrose returned to whatever is now politically correct to call down under to start up a racing team. An interesting fact about his racing here is how many times he placed around the top 10. He sort of slipped under a lot of peoples radar.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Hobbsy

After receiving the Xoars I'm impressed by their quality. They are so light I'm concerned the engine may not idle well with them. The Bolly's and the Graupners have some heft to them.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Rudolph Hart

Dave there's always a heavy mas classic,they can't look that bad...

Barry marcus ambrose cut 19 laps yesterday in practice for this weekends round at hidden valley up in darwin,or the 'top end' as we say apoligies to all you downunder yanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 PM
GregM_172
My Feedback: (2)

Root cause of dead (left bottom) cylinders on Saito 170 and 90 triple.
I read many comments about this problem, but no-one seems to have addressed the issues root cause.

My suspicion is Saito know about the problem and that's why they are recommending 20% nitro. The idea of a glow driver is fine but in my book its only a band-aid solution. Plus consider by the time you load your model with all the glow driver kit/extra battery etc you are eroding the model flying characteristics. Such is the case with the Super Stearman with 170 and Kello, and flies and sounds just great, but as soon as all the glow kits goes on, it way too heavy and turns into a flying dog.

In my book we should not have to make band-aid solutions to solve this problem. The Saito's 56 and 30 work fine as single cylinders in any installed orientation, even down as low as 5% nitro (I have several of them in models). I see Saito recommend 10% nitro on the 200 does it suffer from the same problem at that level of Nitro?

Please note that I have no expertise in a model engine engineering sense. Perhaps there are problem with engine design, engine manufacture, fuel atomization? It is such a common problem I think we could all benefit with understanding what is wrong with these engines.

Could we get some commentary going around the root cause of this issue.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Hi Pope, As you say, we have different senses of humor. Be yourself, don't change for anyone. The audience here on Club Saito is mostly from Down Under anyway.

Sincerely, Richard
Thanks there Worm . I will be myself then , have you thought that if I tried to change you might get a worse version of the pope . Thats just not worth even thinking about ! Cheers
Old 06-20-2015, 02:57 AM
Hobbsy

Greg, I would disagree, I currently have a 1.00 twin and a TS 90 twin, I previously owned a 1.30 and a .90 triple, they do not drop cylinders, but, I only use Fox Miracle plugs and WildCat fuel in them. The .90 triple had a Keleo collector ring on it.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by GregM_172
Root cause of dead (left bottom) cylinders on Saito 170 and 90 triple.
I read many comments about this problem, but no-one seems to have addressed the issues root cause.

My suspicion is Saito know about the problem and that's why they are recommending 20% nitro. The idea of a glow driver is fine but in my book its only a band-aid solution. Plus consider by the time you load your model with all the glow driver kit/extra battery etc you are eroding the model flying characteristics. Such is the case with the Super Stearman with 170 and Kello, and flies and sounds just great, but as soon as all the glow kits goes on, it way too heavy and turns into a flying dog.

In my book we should not have to make band-aid solutions to solve this problem. The Saito's 56 and 30 work fine as single cylinders in any installed orientation, even down as low as 5% nitro (I have several of them in models). I see Saito recommend 10% nitro on the 200 does it suffer from the same problem at that level of Nitro?

Please note that I have no expertise in a model engine engineering sense. Perhaps there are problem with engine design, engine manufacture, fuel atomization? It is such a common problem I think we could all benefit with understanding what is wrong with these engines.

Could we get some commentary going around the root cause of this issue.
Greg your comments come from experience,about the cyl dropping out at low rpm there are two easy remedies.On 10% nitro add 7% unleaded to the mix.This mixture is good enough to keep a seven cylinder 770 indian built seidal copy running,two,add more nitro.Expect plenty of comments about fuel atomisation on saito radials and a guy who does good conversion kits for the gas radials,especially the fg84.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:05 AM
slamn sammy

Howdey Ya! Did ya'll miss me? l'm still around, got one eye here and the other on the Tv. LOL This is kinda a Q&A. l ended up with a Goldn Nite FA120 Tween plug, Pump engine? Has two needle valve's. One on the carb and one on the pressure line going to the tank. Theres not any time on the motor and l see why! The manual shows the pressure and the crank case drain line going to the tank. MAN! This thing is a tuning nightmare. It will not run on just one plug, it will start on one, then you have to light the other plug. You will get it tune somewhat, then you try to fly it and you may get one flite out of ten. Don't see a (Pump) in the system? BUT! lt will not run with out the tuning valve in place on the pressure line and -or set up like a regular engine. l'd like to remove the pressure line valve and set it up like a normal engine. Do l need to replace the carb? lf ya don't mind, please give your input.

Mike, hows that Cub and 182 coming? Have not hard from you.

OldFart, Whats up? Hope alls good down there.

Happy Fathers Day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.