Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cougar- you sound like you are on the right path in sleuthing around. The well tuned 125a is pretty much a miser on 15%.

Old Fart- and a manly way to ride if there ever was one! I envy the winter fun you were having out there. I like the way you told your tale without whining. Guess you had a face shield on as you didn't mention a frozen face.

By the way, what are your Saito idle speeds with wooden props? Did you get anything reliable below 2000 rpm?

Last edited by blw; 06-28-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

FlyerinOKC- honor flights too? This country is going to be okay with sons like yours.

Last edited by blw; 06-28-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:18 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the cold. Cairns minimum temperature is above the max temp for the rest of OZ (it is raining there though). Here it is in single digits until about 0700hrs or there abouts most mornings. But to more important stuff. Yesterday, attempting to fly a 1/4 scale cub in the monthly scale "rally" or what ever you call it the Saito 91 (resurrected after many months of being idle) was given a "clearing run" refuelled and would not then hold a reasonable throttle acceleration and in general had the tuning wandering plus or minus 1 turn on the main needle. Finally on a "slam acceleration" spat a prop, result one lost spinner nut and scratch one 15x6 APC prop. Problem has been traced down to a worn (dodgy) front bearing so off to the bearing shop this week to get the relevant bits. The shrinking of car sizes here in OZ has me looking a ways and means of getting my models into smaller station wagons / SUV's which is leading to me delving into the darker reaches of my engine storage boxes. So far 2 x Saito 50's have turned up along with some OS 20 and 26 four strokes and a NIB Saito 56. Life gets interesting when the body warms up and you are in retirement.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I wonder, my 100 is like the 125, only runs good sloppy rich, the belly of my Cub is a slime pit after an 8 minute run, which is more than half the 12 oz tank of fuel, and not at WOT. Idle is a bit poppy, so wondering if my LS is either too lean or too rich, which is affecting the high end.

I had someone help me with my DLE20, I did the tuning, he did the listening, and said lean, rich, as I tweaked it and it now purrs purrfectly. Since the 100 is inside a cowl, I would like to know if I should fiddle with the LS and which way, before pulling the cowl off.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by acdii
I wonder, my 100 is like the 125, only runs good sloppy rich, the belly of my Cub is a slime pit after an 8 minute run, which is more than half the 12 oz tank of fuel, and not at WOT. Idle is a bit poppy, so wondering if my LS is either too lean or too rich, which is affecting the high end.

I had someone help me with my DLE20, I did the tuning, he did the listening, and said lean, rich, as I tweaked it and it now purrs purrfectly. Since the 100 is inside a cowl, I would like to know if I should fiddle with the LS and which way, before pulling the cowl off.
LSN needle will affect all but the last bit of throttle before WOT. It can make your Saito a methanol hog if it is too rich. I set the LSN as lean as it will go & still transition smoothly. I keep turning it in a few click at a time, checking for transition until I reach the point where it stalls. then I richen it up just enough for smooth transition.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
LSN needle will affect all but the last bit of throttle before WOT. It can make your Saito a methanol hog if it is too rich. I set the LSN as lean as it will go & still transition smoothly. I keep turning it in a few click at a time, checking for transition until I reach the point where it stalls. then I richen it up just enough for smooth transition.

I'll give this a try. I picked this up at a swap meet and it hardly had a tank through it, guy couldnt keep it running. The LSN was way out of whack, it would only run with the GP lit, when the power was removed it would quit. I reset the LSN to where it is even with the bevel and it fired up and ran, haven't touched it since. It will idle at a very low RPM for a long time, but feels like it loads up at half throttle after a while. I only have about 3 full tanks through it, but I think it can run better than it does, so will pull the cowl and try to tweak it some more to see if I can get it to run better.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Rudolph Hart

It's good to start on the rich side of things from a safety angle and engine longevity.I've done bearings in the past running them to lean not to mention the cam and lifters were a bit dry.

Barry i mostly run the 82's in weekend hackers.Tried a 14x6 zinger once,when i landed i took the prop off and stood on it.Tried a zoar 14x6,good performance and both wooden props gave a good steady 1800 at idle.Mostly i run apc pattern props.
ps no the face did'nt freeze will try to post a couple of pics

pps trev WILL NOT want to borrow a helmet and do a couple of laps around the bathurst mountain circuit as a pillion,damn thing wheelies too much now due to the short wheelbase etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	2106288   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	901.1 KB
ID:	2106289  
Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 AM
the pope

You taken the training wheels off now Fart ? Cheers
Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I have a tried and true old FA-80 any suggestions on which engines have compatible parts to renew the rubber seals, etc?
Old 06-29-2015, 02:18 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart NO I don't want to get back on any sort of bike that has an engine capacity bigger than my biggest model a/c engine. When I last tried I put a big Yamaha under a semi trailer followed by throwing away a vintage Velocette at the carousel corner at Lakeside when we were there testing a new 240Z rally car. Something about messages from those "on high" and my bank manager querying the high cost of leather purchases. I keep my Bathurst excursions to running around there in tin tops, lot safer
Old 06-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Rudolph Hart

Okc any shop like repco over here will sell you o ring kits,some do gaskets as well.Just looking at the new 82 and how different the crankcase is,a new ally backplate and carb mount thingy to instead of the plastic ones.

Popey you just know where them wheels are going trev never admit on a public forum that you crashed a velocette (i hope for your sake it was'nt a venom) the new wave retro bike crowd will do really bad things to you
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Bikes can be a little unforgiving I traded in my last bike years ago on a TR-3A and sold it 5 years later at good profit when we had our second child. I added a Dickey seat but that one was only good for one small child not two. Not to mention that garage looked really good in winter when I scrapped the ice of my daily driver! My son just traded his Honda VTX in on a Harley Electric Glide, its a lot easier on his bad back he picked up in the Army.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Okc any shop like repco over here will sell you o ring kits,some do gaskets as well.Just looking at the new 82 and how different the crankcase is,a new ally backplate and carb mount thingy to instead of the plastic ones.
I have a pretty good supplier for O rings I was thinking more of along the line of pushrod seals. I will need to check the LHS see if he has any dead stock you would be surprised what he has sometimes.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:27 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, for o rings Bunnings, or Masters for others (overseas) include a trip to your local airport parts supplier they have all sorts of goos stuff. If buying there ask for time expired stock (it should be cheaper).
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM
acdii

OK Check this out. Pulled the cowl off the cub and found the pressure line had popped off the tank, that explains why it had to run so rich, no pressure to feed the carb! Got the line put on, put the cowl back on, and it ran OK, two full turns in on the HS, and it ran smooth with a lot less smoke, then it quit. ARGH, pulled the cowl off again, the feed line popped off. I wired them on, put the cowl back on, ran it again, and got the top end smooth, low end is still a bit rough, then it quit, AGAIN! This time the feed line split at the tube. This time I got my soldering iron out, put bulbs of silver solder on the ends of the tube, straightened them out, put new lines on, wired them on, and made sure no sharp bends, and left the cowl off.

Ran out of light to go any further, but I think the slight adjustment to lean on the LS may do the trick, it had quit at idle, and as the fuel ran out it ran much smoother. Transitions are a bit burbely from low idle, so hoping I got this licked. Other than the low idle this is a strong running engine, once I nail the idle down so it is smooth, this will be a great combination, just the right power for the Cub. At half throttle, very scale like flight and sound, WOT it will pull towards heaven! I will be able to hover this one, did it on Sunday for a brief moment, but it was gusty so it got knocked askew, but at 3/4 throttle it held its place.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Old Fart, for o rings Bunnings, or Masters for others (overseas) include a trip to your local airport parts supplier they have all sorts of goos stuff. If buying there ask for time expired stock (it should be cheaper).
The guys I get my O-rings from are an industrial gasket company and half the time because I need such small numbers they don't charge me. I like my O-rings fresh so I don't keep a lot on hand.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have a tried and true old FA-80 any suggestions on which engines have compatible parts to renew the rubber seals, etc?
All Saito singles from FA-50 to FA-80 use the same valve train from the cam to the valve springs, including the covers/seals. Only the valves differ.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thankyou richard.

Okc is it true that no diehard saito shed tuner would ever leave his bar fridge door open,warm alcohol not good.It's nearly as bad as crashing your favourite saito
Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM
the pope

Your not a true drinker unless you drink warm grog !
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
All Saito singles from FA-50 to FA-80 use the same valve train from the cam to the valve springs, including the covers/seals. Only the valves differ.
Sending you a PM....Thanks Capt,n
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM
FNQFLYER

oh is the pope a pom???
Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
oh is the pope a pom???
Why you @#$##@@$$@$%$#^%$ how dare you say a thing like that . Im a square head from way back in the early 1800s I think . Now them Germans have big glasses so they must be able to drink quick or like warm beer as well . Been a pretty messed up couple of days down this way with the murder of the crows footy team coach ( by his son ), thats what family's for I guess ! Cheers the pope
Old 07-03-2015, 11:32 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

after 10 years Saito just purchased Club Saito for 1.5 Million. Thank you !
Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 AM
Rudolph Hart

I can't take all the credit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.