Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:12 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Thanks Richard! I will investigate further.

The pope you should try some of the rum they don't import from down in the Caribbean. My brother was harbor master for a while in British Tortola and the rum was out of this world!
Weed never interested me it gives me a headache probably another allergy or something. I guess in Goolwasa there must not be much to do but drink, smoke, and watch the telly. When I was younger i found Cricket interesting and would have like to try it. But it struck me like golf and what you call football, something I would want to play but not watch unless I needed a nap! I mut say though that Women's World Cup was fairly exciting I was surprised to see so many total points at that level of play. I wonder if the USA Women's team could give the men's team some pointers?
Hi there F...okc you make it sound like drinking , smoking and watching telly is a bad thing . At least Ive given up on feeling up my sister ( not like O.F. ) !! The bundy rum comes from Queensland which last time i checked was in Aus although they do act a little funny up there . I know of a couple of pointers the girls could give the men but my lips are sealed . I used to like watching yanky football but its not on free to air anymore like the baseball and now we get piss poor coverage of the F1's as well so I might have to get of my fat arse and walk the dog although thats a struggle as I have to drag him 1/2 the way home ( 2 yr old lab ) , the only time he comes near you is when theres food around . A bit like me and the misses . Cheers the pope
Old 07-09-2015, 01:14 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by spaceworm
According to the Laser engine website the crank threads for the 300 are M10mm x 1.5.
Laser 300v

(Click images to enlarge with dimensions)
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Bore mm[/TD]
[TD]Stroke mm[/TD]
[TD]Weight grm[/TD]
[TD]Prop Size[/TD]
[TD]Crank Thread[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]33.5[/TD]
[TD]26.9[/TD]
[TD]1600[/TD]
[TD]20x8[/TD]
[TD]M10 x 1.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Come close to getting a laser a couple of times but never bit the bullet , maybe when they bring out the 30cc gasser . Cheers
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
FNQFLYER

Popey / Old Fart I thought I would let you know that we have a good crop of mushrooms growing at our field. One has to harvest them prior to flying. I am not "stretching the truth" here BTB. On reaming prop holes the fox / dubro is probably the best. Did I mention I have been going through the engine storage bins and so far have successfully fired up 3 engines (including a Saito 50) by just supplying fuel (15% nitro) and glo power. All started well and ran well. The point here is that they had ATF run through them while the engine was hot after a lean run to fuel run out (little to no residue in crankcase etc, all holes (carby and exhaust) blanked and wrapped in cotton. These 3 engines last flew in Malaysia in the 1990's. No evidence of bearing or other problems. Good inhibiting leads to engines lasting and being returned to service easily. Now an engine purchased of e bay by a club member is another matter.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trev thats a good point re the atf afterrun oil.

Popey you knock some of that off..what you are saying or hinting at is offensive pm me if you would like to discuss it,or here if you like.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 PM
the pope

Which part is offending you , the soiling of your pants , dribbling or getting on the mushrooms ? So telling the pope he drinks warm beer or is gonna hallucinate is ok ? Shame on you and your saitos !!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there F...okc you make it sound like drinking , smoking and watching telly is a bad thing . At least Ive given up on feeling up my sister ( not like O.F. ) !! The bundy rum comes from Queensland which last time i checked was in Aus although they do act a little funny up there . I know of a couple of pointers the girls could give the men but my lips are sealed . I used to like watching yanky football but its not on free to air anymore like the baseball and now we get piss poor coverage of the F1's as well so I might have to get of my fat arse and walk the dog although thats a struggle as I have to drag him 1/2 the way home ( 2 yr old lab ) , the only time he comes near you is when theres food around . A bit like me and the misses . Cheers the pope
"At least Ive given up on feeling up my sister ( not like O.F. ) !!" I have an old friend from down there and she led me to believe that sort of thing only happened in her native Tasmania?!

You got to love labs! Mine is a runt of a Chocolate lab she is the same size as my Boxer/Beagle about 50 lbs. (23 Kilos). Beautiful dog very loyal and loving and the biggest chicken in the county unless there is a window between her and what she is barking at!

I love the workmanship of the Laser engines, true craftsmanship at its best! Alas they are a we bit out of my price range so I'll stick to my Saitos.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:39 PM
the pope

Yeh very fond of the Labs , great family dog , they have a heart of gold . Anyone whos ever had one would know and have a soft spot for them .The amount of people that come up to u with a nice story about them is amazing . I have had 3 since I was a kid and the last one lasted a week shy of his 16 birthday ( up until the day he died he would snap food out of your fingers like a bear trap ) . Anyone who ever knew him was heartbroken that day . We still miss him dearly .Our latest one feels he has to be the one who babysits my sons 3 yr old . Follows him around everywhere stressing out somethings going to happen to him . When hes gone he flops into a heap and sleeps for ages . As for the Tasmanians the age old joke here in Aus was that they had 2 heads from all the in breeding but now weve moved on to the New Zealanders and their fondness for sheep ! Wouldnt mind getting a laser gasser if it ever comes out reasonably priced which I doubt but you never know . I keep telling my self to stop getting any more engines as I have plenty of engines but we all know how that goes . cheers the pope

Last edited by the pope; 07-14-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I agree with you The Pope! The closest breed to a good Lab is the Kooikerhondje (Dutch Duck dog). They love people like Labs but are smaller dogs. If I ever get the point of needing another Lab I want one of the Silver Labs or another Chocolate. My first Lab, the one I grew up with, was a 135 lbs. Black Lab named King. We lost him at 13 to Kidney failure it was the only time I saw my father cry! My most recent Lab is a Chocolate runt weighing in at 50lbs.named Millie. She is 100% chicken but the best companion you could ask for!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I agree with you The Pope! The closest breed to a good Lab is the Kooikerhondje (Dutch Duck dog). They love people like Labs but are smaller dogs. If I ever get the point of needing another Lab I want one of the Silver Labs or another Chocolate. My first Lab, the one I grew up with, was a 135 lbs. Black Lab named King. We lost him at 13 to Kidney failure it was the only time I saw my father cry! My most recent Lab is a Chocolate runt weighing in at 50lbs.named Millie. She is 100% chicken but the best companion you could ask for!
I too would love a Lab. Our house had a black Lab that was the campus mascot also. My son had a yellow Lab, and good friends had a chocolate one. A cousin in Tuscany had a yellow one, that was much stockier. All great pets.

Here is an article describing the differences based on color:

"Black vs Yellow Lab
Black lab and Yellow lab are two out of the three types of Labrador retrievers with the chocolate lab as the third type. The Labrador retriever dogs are best known for their detection ability that police forces are using them to detect drugs, bombs, and dead bodies.Black LabsSince 1991, the black labs are the consistent top registrants of the American Kennel Club. This is because there are lots of people who love the black labs due to its very dark coat, the head is perfectly shaped, the skull is seemingly broad, and most of all they have friendly and kind eyes that can melt anyone’s heart. They are also best as house guards repelling any burglar attempts.Yellow LabsYellow labs, with playful and lively attitude, are the best dogs for any family that even children are safe to play with them. According to test conducted by the American Temperament Society, almost 96% of the yellow labs that they examined are more on family used, meaning, the labs prefer more to stay at home playing with their owners. If achieved full maturity, yellow labs can reach up to 100lbs.Difference between Black Lab and Yellow LabBlack labs and Yellow labs have differences despite the fact that they’re both Labrador retriever. Black labs are more of an athletic and worker type which is best as hunting companions and are considered as police dogs for their detection abilities. Yellow labs are more suitable to be house dogs for they are very playful especially with children. In terms of color, black labs are obviously black to dark in color while the yellow labs are from yellow to golden in color. Black labs can go up to 70lbs whereas yellow labs which commonly stay at home can reach up to 100lbs.If you are planning to have a pet dog, consider buying a Labrador retriever and choose wisely the difference between black labs and yellow labs. If you have kids at home then better pick the yellow labs for their friendly and playful nature. And if you want a dog that can guard your house while you’re away then the black labs are best for you.[TABLE="class: aligncenter, width: 1, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]In brief:
• Black labs are suitable for police dogs since it has a high ability to smell things distinctively like the bombs and drugs while the yellow labs are suited to be as house dogs for their friendly and playful nature.
• Black labs can reach a maximum size of 70 lbs since they are more athletic and working dogs whereas the yellow labs can reach up to 100 lbs due to the fact that they always stay at home and no exercise at all."
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I am not in total agreement with the article. I think they all have their own personalities, but with similar predictable temperament, unlike people.

Come on, let's please keep the forum about engines and dogs.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Thread reset time!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hillary'sreset.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	2109314  
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
SrTelemaster150

Things are getting dull around here. Perhaps we should open the debate on castor Vs synthetic lube?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
FNQFLYER

Castor verses synthetic lube. Latest Saito data to hand says castor is a "no no". But then we get different data it would appear that we get different to our Nth American cousins. But shock horror I was rereading my YS data and it informs me that up to 10% castor is considered acceptable BUT problems could be experienced with regulators etc if "poor quality" castor is used. On the dog front I have shot over and shown (in the ring) English Setters, and I have found them the absolute best gun dog and family dog ever and if you can con the kids into grooming you have the best of all worlds. I miss my english.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
FNQFLYER

Excuse the "errors / deviations" in the previous post it is freezing and my brain is still thawing
Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 PM
the pope

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107-0748_IMG.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	2109400   Click image for larger version

Name:	zack.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	2109401   Click image for larger version

Name:	05012011132.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2109402   Click image for larger version

Name:	crows lab.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2109403  
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
the pope

Those are for telemaster ! Compared to listeningAd nauseam about ign this is a breath of fresh air .Hey there Flier I hope those english setters are different to the red setters . My memory of them as a kid was their like a 2yr old kid on red cordial , Cheers
Old 07-16-2015, 04:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking dog The Pope!

On Castor vs. Synthetic I believe castor oil has an edge in engine protection if the engine is run too lean but this can be compensated for by running the engine slightly richer with synthetic. I prefer synthetic I find it is cleaner and doesn't gum up the engine like castor oil (Even so I still use after run oil).
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Can i swerve over to motorcycles? dave the harley new pressed steel fenders we get are much better quality now almost no filler needed and their candy colours and silk screening of logo's is mucho better but their production colours from one batch to the next vary a bit,your lime green one was a good case over there.

Castor oil tastes better on the bbq when you are frying sausages for your mates after you have had a few beers and been deafened in the shed by a big saito at full throttle.Can you imagine feeling the same way after synthetic.....yeh don't they make dolls out of that stuff?

signed
mr bean

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 07-16-2015 at 05:26 AM. Reason: to add more honesty
Old 07-16-2015, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Old Fart check out the new Indian Black Bullet Scout they built to go to Bonneville its a real looker!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 AM
blw

I was given a setter who was getting along in age. He had his papers and was a finished bird dog. I would hold him in a headlock so he couldn't see as I threw a tennis ball across the yards of several neighbors. When released he would run after it and stop to sniff at each spot where the ball had bounced. Amazing. I would also halt him and give him go left and go right commands to vector him to the ball too.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:05 PM
SkyPilot101

All my Glow Engines are Saito's, but as of late, the Laser 300 Twin has caught my attention. Presently, I am trying to secure a scheme that will enable me to procure one !!

moving on to Dogs, the Rat Terrier is my choice.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 PM
FNQFLYER

I had both Irish (Red) and English Setters. Both were good but the english was the better of the 2. I never had a Gordon Setter though. Mind you like all dogs the Irsh needing good training and exersise. On castor I still have memories of my mum giving me that stuff when I had constipation. I agree with the previous post re castor and engine protection. To many people run their engines to lean for no real effect and synthetic is at lot better to clean up than castor. I know I fly diesels.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, ran into my first real non-repairable problem. Was out flying the 100 powered Super 'Bolt last weekend and when the throttle was dropped for landing from the second flight heard a weird sound, like a pulsating resonance. First suspicion was a cracked prop, loose spinner or muffler, but quick checks at the field showed no evidence of anything obvious. Engine spins easily and smoothly.

With a rally this weekend thought a more comprehensive boo was in order. Again, nothing shocking and even rechecked valve train and lash. New fuel had the same behavior. Figured the best idea had pulling the engine and bolting on a spare. Fired up and runs as it should.

Removed the rear cover and found evidence of something banging around in there, (limited to light marks in line with the crank pin). With it in pieces found a couple of chunks of liner missing and scoring on the piston. CRAP!.

Still, wondering if this would cause what I heard as it still had power to spare.

Have neither seen this before, nor found any postings. Even with some time and age, anyone know if this is a warranty item?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Jim Branaum

Ok guys, I need an answer to a very specific question and not another lecture on the better way to do things.

I have a superb scale bird someone gave me that has a place for a fuel tank that is 3 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches tall and up to 7 1/2 inches in length. After considerable research (like I actually tried some other tanks) I am finding that the largest tank that will fit is a DuBro 16 oz tank. I also have a Saito 150S - NEW IN THE BOX. That engine fits the airframe perfectly, even to the cooling cutout in the cowl.

I am keeping secret the fuel partly because I have a lot of self mixed stuff without castor and some of the store bought (won) stuff has castor. I have been burned by castor in a Saito before... YMMV

At this time I have no desire to play the CDI games but want to run that engine STOCK.

Now that you know the details, here is the question: How long with that STOCK Saito 150S run on 16 oz of 10% glow fuel?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot would depend on your power settings. Obviously 1/2 throttle would last a lot longer than honking with it wide open.

Sold my 150 before running it, so this is a comparison. I can count on at least 9 minutes on 16oz tanks and moderate throttle with the 125a's. One has considerably higher consumption, but not broken in fully yet and hauling along a draggy big bipe, (1/5 WACO). The more miserly can land with at least 1/4 tank.

ps. 9 minutes are the average for me as I run out of things to do by then.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by Cougar429
A lot would depend on your power settings. Obviously 1/2 throttle would last a lot longer than honking with it wide open.

Sold my 150 before running it, so this is a comparison. I can count on at least 9 minutes on 16oz tanks and moderate throttle with the 125a's. One has considerably higher consumption, but not broken in fully yet and hauling along a draggy big bipe, (1/5 WACO). The more miserly can land with at least 1/4 tank.

ps. 9 minutes are the average for me as I run out of things to do by then.
Thanks, that is about what I thought and exactly what the engine is going on. The open cockpit is neat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.