Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So...Castor is not good for Saito? Would explain the slime and hard tuning I have with my 100. It ran great using Wildcat, but I grabbed 2 gallons of SIG 15% which is 50/50 Castor/syn oil. The bottom of my Cub is slimed heavily after every flight, lots of smoke too. Not too happy with the SIG fuel, seems like I go through it rather quickly too. Switching back to Wildcat.

Has anyone noticed that where CC, or OC is permitted, crime rates go down? I wonder whats up with that?

As for dogs, I find Collies make great pets. I have a couple of them. The female we got to calling E'or, like the donkey in Winnie the pooh, she always walks around with her head and tail down.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:52 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been seeing those stats acdii, hence my comments.

My dog is a rescue dog from a junk yard. Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu and maybe something else unknown. A good varmit dog and watch dog. good protector. She literally places her body between me and my mothers brain damaged chiwawa. Does not shed, I shed more than she does. Fantastic car dog.

Ken
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

acdii, when you started using the SIG fuel did you re tune the engine. It sounds like it is running rich. Most 100 + Saitos are supposed to use synthetic but castor should not affect it. In fact I am experimenting with an old Saito 65 with an old liner and running down to 15% oil in an attempt to get better fuel consumption for Texaco events. The real early 65's were ok with castor as were the 50's and I ran my first Saito (a 50) on both SIG and Byron castor fuel while I was in Malaysia. Mind you they were a cow to clean when I did an engine strip. On gun ownership my only comment is that after our federal government took away our weapons I noticed a distinct change for the worst in my dealing with Indonesian officialdom that was echoed by my compatriots in the military, which to me is not good at all. But enough of that.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think 50/50 oil is all that I have ever run in my .65.
Does make rather the mess. Just give the plane some deserved TLC after a day of flying.

The dirtiest my Kadet SR ever got was when I spent a week camping and flying in a desert dry lake bed. Did not clean good it till the end. Just simi decent wipe downs at the end of the day. Limited water. Had to goe fetch water, propane and a recharge deep cycle battery every day for the pop up camp trailer. A buddy lived close by, So I made daily trips to his house for a fresh battery. Did this in the middle of winter. Days were nice, but oh those nights. Would run the heater all night using a bottle of propane and 50% of a battery.
man what I blast I had though. The dogs loved it. A Lab/Dobie and a Lab/Dane. Had to keep them real close in the evening and then inside at night.Coyotes.
Kept my shotgun right beside me.

Ken
Old 07-23-2015, 04:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
acdii, when you started using the SIG fuel did you re tune the engine. It sounds like it is running rich. Most 100 + Saitos are supposed to use synthetic but castor should not affect it. In fact I am experimenting with an old Saito 65 with an old liner and running down to 15% oil in an attempt to get better fuel consumption for Texaco events. The real early 65's were ok with castor as were the 50's and I ran my first Saito (a 50) on both SIG and Byron castor fuel while I was in Malaysia. Mind you they were a cow to clean when I did an engine strip. On gun ownership my only comment is that after our federal government took away our weapons I noticed a distinct change for the worst in my dealing with Indonesian officialdom that was echoed by my compatriots in the military, which to me is not good at all. But enough of that.
Yep, had to pull the cowl to tune the LSN, may need a little more, but going to switch back to Wildcat for this one first and use the SIG for my other planes that dont have a cowl and are easier to clean.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys must be rich,i wipe the castor oil off carefully with a large tissue and store it in my flight box so i don't lose any to evaporationthen carefully unwrap it when i get home and wipe it over the bbq plate before i start cookin the snags.Theres a nice nitro after taste left on the palate but don't smoke to soon.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:11 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
You guys must be rich,i wipe the castor oil off carefully with a large tissue and store it in my flight box so i don't lose any to evaporationthen carefully unwrap it when i get home and wipe it over the bbq plate before i start cookin the snags.Theres a nice nitro after taste left on the palate but don't smoke to soon.

I'll bet you aren't troubled with constipation either.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hell no,after i found this forum all that castor i had backed up for years came pouring out and as you can tell it's still comin,is there any hope?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Hell no,after i found this forum all that castor i had backed up for years came pouring out and as you can tell it's still comin,is there any hope?
I don't know, do the doctors still offer to take you out back like Old Yeller?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Hey old fart, guess what I used a Sako Forester chambered for 338 win Mag and apart from the Ruger M77 in 270w it was the best rifle I ever had. I used it on Sambar deer and long range pig shooting on the Hay plains. Shots were around the 1 kilometre and were made using a rest but was good.
I had a Sako Forester in .308 Win; it had the short Mauser action with dovetail 'scope mounts. The bluing on that rifle was exquisite. AFAIK the Forester didn't come in .338. Sure you didn't have the Finnbear? It had the longer action that could accommodate the .338 cartridge.

CR
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The finish on the Sakos and Weatherbys were always exquisite. Its been a few decades which one had the slightly green bluing? We had an old now long gone gun store here and the owner had the most beautiful left hand model Weatherby .460 magnum. He was a Weatherby dealer at the time and always had a fine stock of Weatherbys and Sakos. One day when we were doing a little shopping and a little dreaming he realized my hunting partner were either left-handed or shot left-handed. He took us back to his private office to show us his private collection, I just loved it! My partner got the opportunity to fire the .460 once but I had a conflict and couldn't go. He said it was fantastic to shoot! He was 7"2" and 285 lbs.so he could handle a light artillery piece like that with no problem.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 PM
FNQFLYER

Pretty certain it was a Forester but cannot confirm as my shorting buddy is long gone. But it was definitely 338Win Mag, belted case and I used 250grn Noslers and I just filled up the case with Winchester 760 powder when re loading. It was a VERY good rifle as was my Ruger M77 that I bought back from IndoChina. Old fart had a good day at the field yesterday got 50 minute x 2 with my Radian and 1300 Lipo's. Ii was to good a day to use ic and I needed the gliding practise.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:44 PM
FNQFLYER

That should read shooting I want nothing to do with Shorten
Old 07-25-2015, 03:32 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev i've been running my saito's now for years on 15% no probs.The 270 was a good flat shooting rifle out to normal 3 4 or 500,the 7x57mm equalled it downrange where you hit stuff,7mm was a freaky caliber.

Okc i'd rather get what ole yella got than sit behind a 460 belted case friend i don't care who made the stock.The 338 was about as much as i can do for comfortable shooting in any pos.The first time i handled a 460 round i thought someone had slipped me a browning 50 cal machinegun round.Way more than you'll ever need for any animal that walked the face of this world when you were on the menu.And when it comes to shooting something that dangerous i'll take a 600 nitro express side by side with a blackpowder load instead of the usual cordite strips for a good reason.If i miss the panic period will be much shorter.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:44 AM
SrTelemaster150

I'm so poor I have to hunt with a homemade rifle that I threw together with an old surplus barrel.

Did the rust blue job myself.

Even with the old military barrel, it manages to put most of the shots on the paper.

Can't afford any expensive hunting trips either so I have to be content with what I can shoot on my own property
Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by the pope
R what the heck Im on a roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjwRdlDG-U
Whether u like guns or not I could sit and watch this stuff for hours . Militry fails and russians fails is also pretty funny ( they seem to be on the vodka all the time which isnt necessary a bad thing ) cheers
Hey, calm down mate. (trying Australian here) I only asked if you were a vegan. That was a funny video this time though. Lots of good laughs and what about those young things learning to shoot? I almost shot the same kind of phone video when I let my wife shoot the Judge the first time, but wised up and gave her coaching so the recoil didn't surprise her. She loves it. You probably forgot the Judge is a revolver that shoots shotgun shells. Very popular handgun for soccer moms when loaded with birdshot and a would-be carjacker yanks open the minivan door.

I would link up that video that got some Army guys in deep trouble if I could. The one where they let the model babes come shoot big guns at the range wearing skimpy stuff. Moderators are forbidden from doing that sort of tomfoolery. (my Australian again)
Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Pope I sure wish those jar heads had been packing heat. (I call them that with great affection, having served with so many on my third ship. Some were good friends.........I almost said more, but did not want to get boot off the site.

Ken
Ain't going to happen Ken, so speak your mind. I feel the same way about the Ft. Hood shooting victims. They finally got their Purple Hearts (and the Marines finally got their half mast flag.)

Wasn't the worst mass killing in Norway on the island? Not the U.S. And in a gun free country too!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:12 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart did you know that when the government took away our firearms plumbing and irrigation stores in FNQ ran out of 10 inch pipe and the stuff was in short supply for nearly a year after the amnesty was in place. A number of years ago I bought up the remaining stock of 3 model shops (all the model a/c stuff). Today I am yet again delving into the stash for muffler bits for both Saito and OS engines. Any money made goes towards more modelling gear (or trips) and in some cases I actually get to trade and on offer is of all things a Taipan 1.5cc glo engine that actually runs. Which brings me to another point fuel. How often have you seen people having all sorts of problems starting / tuning / and running engines only to have the problem go away when some one elses fuel is used. The problem I generally find is water contamination. This can happen with constant decanting of fuel and leaving the lid of the container during our summer days (hot and humid). In Malaysia on a night with 99% humidity I left the l;id of a can of crappy fuel for an hour, the fuel weight increased by 10% in that time. I have mentioned before that to reclaim this fuel, freeze it and once the water forms an ice block decant the remaining fuel. Good for an emergency or to kill weeds with. It has been raining maybe it will fine up but the ground will be soggy so its off to the shed for me and into the treasure hunt.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Rudolph Hart

I assume the judge is chambered for a 410 shotshell? and i should post a link to that video if i can find it and knew how to do it

Trev i've never tried freezing fuel and hav'nt had any problems as far as i know.Stay shush on the 10" pvc pipe

Sr some nice photo's and a nice clean job on blueing.Nowdon't start the i'm so poor that i had to...or i'll tell you how i had to use a black and decker drill with a recycled battery to bore my bb gun out to 3006 one weekend.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 AM
James Ballard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBJskfCF0o
Old 07-26-2015, 02:38 PM
the pope

Hmm see the latest news where road rage turns deadly . So instead of the old fashion fisty cuffs someone wont wake up tomorrow . Awesome , and for the stats that crime goes down what a crock . Were those stats from Charlton Heston ?What about the " lion " thats on the loose , the guy rings up and his 1st question was can I shoot it . That cracked me up ( probably 2 little kids in a lion onesie
http://www.costumecollection.com.au/...FYGWvQodzRICXw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate
Cheers the pope

Last edited by the pope; 07-26-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:53 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

For us(me) less enlightened, what is the purpose of 10" pvc?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by WMB
Home made rocket launcher ? Every mum should have one .Then again pack one in the kiddies lunch box . Perfect for those school day massacres . Keeps the crime rate down !
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by WMB
Encapsulating firearms for burial?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

I think james ballard has a good sense of humour,we're all being boring and off topic?? so in this brief instant before some of us get back to it...

Sr no but i saw a spud,you might call it a vege gun that size go off once.If you stood right beside it the shockwave was a hum dinger and it made a sound like 'dorothy! bend over and kiss kansas goodbye'

popey i'll bet when you were born the doctor slapped your mum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.