Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
At minus 40 i'd be doing a lot of f and ceeing too just before i got the hell outta there.
Never saw it -40 here , but it got down to -37F twice since I've been here. Fortunately, when it gets that cold, it's usually dead calm.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
If it ran at all it would sputter & run very rough. 1 tooth would be 15 crankshaft degrees out of time. That is HUGE for cam timing. Any time I've gotten one 1 tooth out it would spit, kick back against the electric starter & fail to start.
Thanks. That is what I suspected.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I've seen -27 inside of an Army tent. No idea what it was outside. The wind was 30+ mph. I remember making my way through the wind from our tent to the mess tent and my face felt like it had been sandblasted. We had gas cans upside down on stands outside with a little hose running under the tent flaps to the carb on the pot belly tent stoves. I believe we were running gas and diesel 50/50 which was against regulations, and it stopped flowing somewhere around 3 in the morning.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 AM
blw

That's a good looking paint job in memory of those guys. Can't let the new generations forget what they did.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work
Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Old Fart
At minus 40 i'd be doing a lot of f and ceeing too just before i got the hell outta there.

Sammy come back! and tell us what's happening with the stinson reliant,still going to fit the 91? my h9 82" taylorcraft is around 15 pounds with a 182 twin and is built for aerobatics
Was going to post a pix of it but found this...apart from all the harleys we custom paint we'll sometimes do a car if it's special.This one is a tribute to the anzac forces of ww1.
What sort of nissan ute is that O.F. cheers
Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Rudolph Hart

Never saw it -40 here , but it got down to -37F twice since I've been here. Fortunately, when it gets that cold, it's usually dead calm.
I think at minus 37f people here would look dead calm and unmoving whereas in reality they is just frozen solid and screaming inside so bad it would make you cuddle the ex wife just to warm up.Seriously,as most people know wind chill multiplies cold something fierce.We don't sell any snowploughs over here so the eastern staters may think i'm a wimp,could be right but cold is cold.

Barry that sounds interesting being cooped up in a tent with the heating system you describe.If that tank was shared between other tents and i was that cold it's open to sabotage(stealing)in that i'm so inconsiderate as to drag the tank inside the tent so it don't freeze up.

Popey it's a late model holden commodore ute.The green pearl base colour is called poison ivy,billy thorpe had a good song with it.

Jpmac did you sort your problem out?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 AM
slamn sammy

An FA-91 won't be near enough engine for that plane. An FA-180 would be more like it.
l think it will be. The Stinson has a flat bottom Ws and rihgt now it is around 12 Lbs, l cant belive it! The funny thing is that Hobby King (USA) Has this plane for $263.00 to my door. RedWing hobby it for $400..+ l don't get it? It's the Harley/Honda thing! Would you pat $200.000 for a Chevy pick up just becouse a BMW dealer sold it? Think it's going to be a grate plane. Almoust have it dun. Doors and servo's in wing and it dun! Will post when l fly it. we got two more Mo's befoure good flying weather (Can't take hot weather any more, coold ez'er to deal with)
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by the pope
What sort of nissan ute is that O.F. cheers
It almost fits it the cowl! Real nice fit. The rocker cover's and muffler is all that is out of the cowl. l installed a dummy engine. Going to be a good lawn char flyer. Think it will have plenty of power! l have a Grate Planes LanceAir with a OLD O.S. .91 with a 81 In Ws that is fast!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
l think it will be. The Stinson has a flat bottom Ws and rihgt now it is around 12 Lbs, l cant belive it! The funny thing is that Hobby King (USA) Has this plane for $263.00 to my door. RedWing hobby it for $400..+ l don't get it? It's the Harley/Honda thing! Would you pat $200.000 for a Chevy pick up just becouse a BMW dealer sold it? Think it's going to be a grate plane. Almoust have it dun. Doors and servo's in wing and it dun! Will post when l fly it. we got two more Mo's befoure good flying weather (Can't take hot weather any more, coold ez'er to deal with)
12# on an 85" WS? That's going to be fairly high wing loading, especially considering the shape of the Srinson wing. The 91 might get it into the air, but there won't be any reserve power if you get into trouble. I wouldn't want a 91 on anything much over 8# unless it was very light wing loading.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What in your opinion is the sweet spot as far as airplane size for a FA-91?
What are you going to do with it? (How are you going to fly it) 3D, Loops and rolls, Etc. l had a Old Balsa USA Cub @ 1/4 scale with the full wing that flu grate. Had to dive to do a loop! LOL....... Any 55-100ln Ws plane would work, it's how your going to fly it. For 3D l would go with a 55-72ln Ws light plane. there not building like before. Lite wood and airframe's the tiket..
Old 08-23-2015, 04:59 AM
SrTelemaster150

l think it will be. The Stinson has a flat bottom Ws and rihgt now it is around 12 Lbs, l cant belive it!

My calculations for your 12# Stinson comes out to about 31 oz per square foot!

The 91 might (barely) get it into the air with a long runway, but there won't be any reserve power if you get into trouble. I wouldn't want a 91 on anything much over 8# unless it was light wing loading.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 AM
slamn sammy

My calculations for your 12# Stinson comes out to about 31 oz per square foot!

The 91 might (barely) get it into the air with a long runway, but there won't be any reserve power if you get into trouble. I wouldn't want a 91 on anything much over 8# unless it was light wing loading.
Will see? lt's a 85.5 flat bottom wing.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:34 AM
SrTelemaster150

Will see? lt's a 85.5 flat bottom wing.
85.5" ELIPTCAL flat bottom wing that is about 950 sq in.

An FA-91 will be adequate on a 12# Sr Telemaster which has a 95" rectangular flat bottom wing that is 1300 sq in W/the addition of a lifting horizontal stabilizer.

That is 21 oz sq ft. You will be flying W/almost 50% heavier wing loading @ 31 oz sq ft.

It won't be a floater, that's for sure.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 AM
Rudolph Hart

Floater? if this thing has enough power to even ground loop itself i'll stand ......somewhere in the general direction of away.

Just kidding sammy friend but i have to state for the record that i like your sense of humour mate
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Sammy, I know how this work from being in the furniture business in the past. You have big retailers link Hobby King who can go directly to the manufacturer and order in multiple containers (think 50 foot semi trailer without the wheels). Then you have smaller retailers that go to a distributor who imports a container and then sells it to the retailers who then sell it to you. The nuts and bolts are if Hobby King buys the whole production run they are getting a better price then the distributor who may only be buying one or two containers. Hobby King could be selling the ARF for at or less than another retailer is paying for the same ARF! I have seen this happen in retail furniture, my former employer was adding stores in medium size towns in Texas by selling the bread and butter goods the local single mom and pop stores were paying for the same goods. They would complain but the distributor would tell them if you will buy in the same quantities you will get the same price. To buy in container quantities you have to pay upfront so its hard to break into with out deep pockets. Think of Hobby King as the hobby version of Walmart, if you have a problem you get the same kind of customer service.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM
blw

Hmmmm. I'm not so sure about the same kind of service between HK and Walmart. You can return anything to Walmart without a sales ticket.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 PM
FNQFLYER

Just back from "warm" FNQ and have caught up with the posts. Now in the sense of "fair play" I am about to "offer" a little red Saito book "for free". For those of you who don't know what it is you want know what you are not knowing about, so I address myself to those who know and don't have the book, give me you best story and or bribe and it will be winging its way to you where ever you are. On the 91 my mate has a "heavy 1/4 scale Cub that flies well with that up front no worries.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:10 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev i'll bet they call your mate firewall fred re throttle positions,c'mon you pick the right size engine in the first place,why torture yourself wondering if you will make it over the boundary fence? be like flying a 90 horse victor airtourer when you struggle to get over the fence on a hot day and ten minutes later you've got to 1500 feet and tuck the take off duck flap up,there goes 300 feet.Sammy your doomed!

ps i'm sending you a fireproof bottle of good nitro and a straw,do i qualify for the draw??
Old 08-25-2015, 04:21 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Just back from "warm" FNQ and have caught up with the posts. Now in the sense of "fair play" I am about to "offer" a little red Saito book "for free". For those of you who don't know what it is you want know what you are not knowing about, so I address myself to those who know and don't have the book, give me you best story and or bribe and it will be winging its way to you where ever you are. On the 91 my mate has a "heavy 1/4 scale Cub that flies well with that up front no worries.
Hi FNQFLYER, my only good story was the Armadillo Hat one, and it's follow up. But I have a bunch of Saitos including the Big Jug 120 abc. I would very much like at least a copy of the "Little Red Book" to go with my "little black book". And I will trade as much warm (hot) weather as you want from the US, and an armadillo hat if I ever find one. So, please make me a copy, and at least post it here on RCU. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard from "Down Under USA"
Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

What's an Armadillo doing in Connecticut? We see a bunch of Armadillo down here in Oklahoma usually after failed attempts to cross the highway. They aren't worth much and I think it would make a lousy hat, they don't even have enough meat on them to make them worth cooking!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What's an Armadillo doing in Connecticut? We see a bunch of Armadillo down here in Oklahoma usually after failed attempts to cross the highway. They aren't worth much and I think it would make a lousy hat, they don't even have enough meat on them to make them worth cooking!
Well, I know people in Texas. Here is a hat, doubles as a safety hat for construction projects. (picture credited to the original poster, not me)

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
FlyerInOKC

I don't blame you for adding a disclaimer to that photo!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:04 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, apart from "racing" we usually set up our a/c to fly ay 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for most manouvres. The cub is a 1/4 scale SIG and it works well. Mind you we also spend time getting the right prop for the model as well. Re the Victa, I have had the opportunity to operate a 115hp version and once a 'Plastic Parrot" liked the genuine Victa but did not like the Parrot. Another Labor failure to the country.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:31 PM
FNQFLYER

Old art, I don't allow that chinese watered down rubbish in my shed it has to be good VP fuel. BTB on my sojourn to FNQ I was talking to ne of the "old guys" and he put forward the thought that poor quality nitro was the cause of increased incidents of rusted bearings in our engines. A self defeating circle, poor quality product leading to increased percentages of nitro use which is in fact increasing the water content in the engine which leads to increased corrosion and so it goes. I am going to do an experiment (freezing it) with some nitro of questionable origin to see how much water content is present verses the stuff I use, which is sourced from the local drag racing fraternity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.