Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The manual for the FG Saitos calls for low octane fuel, such as 87, and does not recommend premium(though I use it since it has no corn in it).
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
That's not the ordinary run of the mill "2 jaw puller". It has more in common with a caged puller. It has the ability to force the jaws into the groove. Where can one find one of those & how much do they cost?
Nice looking puller.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:41 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Dave- the boiling water is a good idea. Never did that. I have an extra large toaster oven in the shop. I need to get an oven thermometer and I'm set for using it. My wife is ok with using her oven though.

Good thing you didn't use the 'H' word about the red handled persuader. Remember the jokes a member got many years back when he had one of those in the background of a pic he posted?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
ps i reckon way back we should have lined up at tim allens auditions for tool timei always wanted that v8 lawnmower.
V8??? I want a V12!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny thing about fuel. All of the engines are basically designed to run on run of the mill pump gas with some ethanol in it. I run gas engines just for this reason. Convenient and cheap. I know guys that drive long distances to get "clean" gas. Really all you have to do is go to a local small airport and buy it from them if you must. I guess it would be nice to have gas that does not smell like the stuff coming out of the pumps, but It is so easy to just go to 7 eleven with my airplane can.

The one are where the Ethanol does play hell, is with the stopper style tanks. But I do not use them, and would not go out of my way to find gas that works with them just to say I have a stopper in there. Much better modern designed tanks now that solve any compatibility issues there.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:43 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that people who are of normal intelligence seem to think they know better than the manufacturers of the equipment they use. Saito provide a good broad spectrum of advice re fuels and run in procedures and given this people think they know better but more importantly blame the product when things go bad. The FG20 is a good case in point. People ignored the recall to get new carbies, didn't read the instructions re the ignition system, used their own fuel mixes and then blamed Saito when the engines failed. This is all well documented elsewhere, it is like the oil type and content discussion, SaIto is clear about the mixes and types to be used (though these vary from country to country it would appear) so why vary it. I do when I hunt for increased performance but I accept the consequences. BTB we have 110 LL aviation fuel here in Oz have had for years. 100 octone (leaded ) has been banned for at least 20 years to my knowledge.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:23 PM
vertical grimmace

I have quite a few gas engines, and I have never seen any of them recommend what would be considered higher octane. I tun the cheap stuff. Just like I do not run anymore nitro in my glow fuel than I need. More is just better in many minds. I see many comment in engine threads about using high octane. I have found through all of my research that this act should be discouraged.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev well said about the fg20 and users plus saito's early ignitions nearly stopped me from trying them.Mind you i'm stupid enough to be in a hurry to fire up a brand new fa115 so mounted it to some soft pine with self tappers.During the second engine run the 115 started tearing itself loose at 5000 which stretched the throttle wire to full throttle.The engine bounced off two walls then the floor and hit me right in the biscuit tin.

okc the front bearing is sealed and pre lubed never had one go bad yet.You can pick one side of the seal cover off if you want engine lube,i would'nt.

ps trev i got a problem.Do you remember the big snake chasing a mouse into my shed last year about this time? snuffed it with the house broom last time but the sabco brooms are really lightly built and it was touch and go for a while,well...now i got a shiny black mouse who lives in there and sure as shootin maybe the same thing might happen this year too.I've got the pump action out,the motorcycle and aeroplanes will have to take their chances.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Old Fart
okc the front bearing is sealed and pre lubed never had one go bad yet.You can pick one side of the seal cover off if you want engine lube,i would'nt.

ps trev i got a problem.Do you remember the big snake chasing a mouse into my shed last year about this time? snuffed it with the house broom last time but the sabco brooms are really lightly built and it was touch and go for a while,well...now i got a shiny black mouse who lives in there and sure as shootin maybe the same thing might happen this year too.I've got the pump action out,the motorcycle and aeroplanes will have to take their chances.
I was just curious, there is nothing wrong with permanent lubed bearings. On that scatter gun I hope it has a tight bore!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM
MFIGHT43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, hot topic! Thats good! Okay, here where I live, they use up to 15% ethanal in the gas, especially in the winter months. I have cheap, clean, race fuel minutes from my house. It does not, in fact have actual lead in it. There is an additive to boost the octane up. I am running very high grade, fully synthetic oil at the exact ratio called for in the manual. I know from other smaller engine sports, that the higher octane clean fuels tend to make the motor happier than the pump gas we have here. I am certainly not trying to boost the output of the motor. I just like the novelty of it, thats all. I am planning on running pump gas through it on the stand as well to experiment on how well it runs.

Thanks for all the input though!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM
braddock VC

Just to round off my little project regarding my 82 that seized up, I'm adding a couple of pix showing the piston skirt and the piston crown. I wiped this over with some kitchen roll just to stop it being too shiny for the camera.
I'm not sure how many hours I have on this engine, I bought it new in 2004 and it's only used full synthetic 10% nitro fuel, at a push I'd say it has at least 70 hours. Totally unlike the piston off an OS 160 Fx that had run on castor based fuel for just 5 hours before the guy that owned it before me managed to screw it up with a lean run, so much for castor then.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	saito piston 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2129017   Click image for larger version

Name:	saito piston.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2129018   Click image for larger version

Name:	fx 160 piston crown.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2129021  

Last edited by braddock VC; 11-04-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, I was practising for the Olympic Trench Discipline at the Lilydale range back in the day and my now ex brother in law was flying from the model field adjacent. He of course knew better than most and flew over the range just as I was starting a sequence, I had my 3 shot Winchester and got 3 from 3 on that pass.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

I don't think castor has much to do with what i saw in the photo's brad mate,you should not use a large adjustable spanner to prop up the presicion engie you are taking a pic of and second..if you ran a better apc prop on it....just kidding.Tell you what tho,evil karneaval would'nt jump those grooves in the side of your piston on his motorcross bike.

Clouds of balsa and covering trev?

ps a quick update on the mouse.I've used small pieces of hard cheese on a hairtrigger mousetrap for a few days and seen the mouse eating the cheese right off it so anyway after the mouse has eaten i go over thinking that can't be right and gently touch the tip of the bait plate,man that hurts.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:22 AM
braddock VC

OF I had the same problem with mouse traps, even tried the french version with the same result. They have to be lubricated and castor won't do it has to be synthetic, actually I used spray silicon, the type used for plastic curtain rails and the mouse mortality immediately increased.
BTW, the props are JXF, 14x6 for that motor and if they are better or worse than APC I certainly can't tell the difference except I get 3 jxf for the price of 1 apc from HK UK. I had one apc 14x6 but it broke in the long grass whereas the jxf trim it nicely.
Meant to add try peanut butter for bait on the traps.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by braddock VC
Just to round off my little project regarding my 82 that seized up, I'm adding a couple of pix showing the piston skirt and the piston crown. I wiped this over with some kitchen roll just to stop it being too shiny for the camera.
I'm not sure how many hours I have on this engine, I bought it new in 2004 and it's only used full synthetic 10% nitro fuel, at a push I'd say it has at least 70 hours. Totally unlike the piston off an OS 160 Fx that had run on castor based fuel for just 5 hours before the guy that owned it before me managed to screw it up with a lean run, so much for castor then.
Lots of carbon on the piston. Either you tend to set the mixture rich or you need to switch to a colder plug.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

FNQFLYER, is that why he is you're ex brother in-law?

I find peanut butter works better than cheese and I put two mouse traps end to end in case they try to jump over it. I like the ones with the big wide flat trigger harder to miss easier to trip.

Name:	Trap.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	2129160  
Old 11-05-2015, 01:25 PM
FNQFLYER

Re ex brother in law, well that is another matter but he got real pissed when he showed me his new hobby (flying model a/c) and I picked the crap out of his models fixed them then proceeded to show him how to really fly them. I had been flying on and off for years but at that point travelling for work (fixing a/c in Australia and SE Asia) sort of got me out of the loop. The shot gun thing was a "stress reliever" and for those who don't know Olympic Trench is a combination of skeet and trap shooting. On the FG 20 thing the ignition systems Saito supplied would "burn out " if left active and the engine not operating, fixed by having both manual (on side of a/c) and radio operated switches and using them. The original carby was a problem very quickly acknowledged here in Oz and fixed equally quickly.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM
vertical grimmace

SO at this point I can feel confident that if I get an FG 30, it will be a good running reliable engine? I have not had nor do any of my club members run a gas Saito.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Just inserting a blank space for dave..

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 11-06-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Re ex brother in law, well that is another matter but he got real pissed when he showed me his new hobby (flying model a/c) and I picked the crap out of his models fixed them then proceeded to show him how to really fly them. I had been flying on and off for years but at that point travelling for work (fixing a/c in Australia and SE Asia) sort of got me out of the loop. The shot gun thing was a "stress reliever" and for those who don't know Olympic Trench is a combination of skeet and trap shooting. On the FG 20 thing the ignition systems Saito supplied would "burn out " if left active and the engine not operating, fixed by having both manual (on side of a/c) and radio operated switches and using them. The original carby was a problem very quickly acknowledged here in Oz and fixed equally quickly.
Sounds like fun!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Lots of carbon on the piston. Either you tend to set the mixture rich or you need to switch to a colder plug.
Looks like leftover synthetic oil,one flash and your hash?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Hmmm, I'm just curious. How do you suppose a colden plug would lessen carbon buildup?

CR
Old 11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A future Saito fan, our 14th Great Grandchild

Name:	HPIM0767.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2129335  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hey nice one dave,congratulations.

ps have you taken him out to the shed for an engine run yet?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Pete, I messed up on that one, she's a girl, her name is Brooklyn, she's 4 days old. She makes her own four stroke sounds that don't smell very good. She'll be with us until a couple of days before Christmas when our granddaughter gets out of jail. Some way to start a life eh.

I redid the timing on my Saito 1.00, I made a better degree wheel, it was at 36.5 degrees btdc, Now it's at 34.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.