Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
Senior,

I have one of those little drones! Actually, they're hard to fly because they aren't that stable and orientation is difficult to keep straight in your head. The weight is a factor, so it is like a heavy helicopter. It takes a while for a control input to start acting and it then zings off on you. I got the Glimpse where my iPhone will rest on the xmitter. You can't fly it off of the phone video. At least I can't. Not enough cues on the screen to know if you are 10' or 20' away from something. I use it mostly indoors for flying in the living room at night but I have threatened the wife of a scouting flight when she is in the shower one night. Activating the camera really takes a hit on available flying power, but the HD video is incredible. I really want it to practice enough to use outside and fly up around squirrels in the trees or chase cats and chipmunks around on the ground. The 4 blades are too loud, imo to hover around waiting to film hummingbirds at the feeders. We'll see next year on that.

My mini coax indoor helicopter is far easier to fly. I had the original large sized Blade with the tail rotor and it was hard to learn. I think the batteries had a 4-5 minute life and the gear train was loud.

When it was new, I flew the drone up to the ceiling and over a ceiling lamp and it blew out years of dust from the open globe. I thought I would be smart and just hover it around the wood floors and flow the dust under sofas and chairs but the wife noticed it that night and asked what had been going on.
I agree there blw ( brownie points with a mod ) I got one of those tiny $25 things from banggood and man did that take a beating bouncing off the walls . ceiling , tv you name it . God rest its soul but I got my $ worth and made me like it enough to get the spedix 250 which is great fun but in no way is this thing easy to fly as mentioned above . But im taking very slowly as its a 3hr round trip for spares . As for being a scum bag just for flying these whats up wit dat ? Who cares what form of modeling you like , when they get the bug who knows they may end up at a club and fly airplanes just to please the FOG's ! As for perving at the neighbors I usually drill a hole in the fence , easier that way and you dont have to recharge the batteries ( only in your pacemaker ) . Cheers from the dirty ol pervert , knuckle dragging Pope
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Think I will get 4 little Saito .30's and build an engine quad. Oh wait, I bet that will not work. But it might look, and sound really cool!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 PM
the pope

Ive thought of how cool a glow powered quad would be for quite awhile . Maybe withe the cox engines with the built in fuel tanks would be easier but it hurts my brain just thinking about . Dont let me stop you though !!!! Cheers the pope
Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those kimber handguns are good quality popey.Dave should introduce you to his large friend??

The blade barry mentions are good for chasing the next door neighbours tomcat.If the wife is in the habit of taking a bath you'd be better off with a submarine

ps vert you make that quad with the four saito 30"s and take it round to barrys place,he'll have the dusting done in no time at all,just open the doors and windows first.Be interested to see the start procedure..
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Rudolph Hart

You've got a cox .049 with a saito plug in it?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:39 AM
the pope

Dont you start ! Although I think some people re-tap the head to fit a normal plug and then YES a saito plug would be init . SATISFIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers the pope
Ps shouldnt you be out fighting bush fires rather than trying to stir up trouble ?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

K, of the engines your mentioned the .65 is the real keeper. It' one of the finest engines made. Here are your bearings, $11.88 and free shipping.

~http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/2026/rc-engine-bearings/econo-power/saito-fa-65-65

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-20-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:41 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by blw
Senior,

I have one of those little drones! Actually, they're hard to fly because they aren't that stable and orientation is difficult to keep straight in your head. The weight is a factor, so it is like a heavy helicopter. It takes a while for a control input to start acting and it then zings off on you. I got the Glimpse where my iPhone will rest on the xmitter. You can't fly it off of the phone video. At least I can't. Not enough cues on the screen to know if you are 10' or 20' away from something. I use it mostly indoors for flying in the living room at night but I have threatened the wife of a scouting flight when she is in the shower one night. Activating the camera really takes a hit on available flying power, but the HD video is incredible. I really want it to practice enough to use outside and fly up around squirrels in the trees or chase cats and chipmunks around on the ground. The 4 blades are too loud, imo to hover around waiting to film hummingbirds at the feeders. We'll see next year on that.

My mini coax indoor helicopter is far easier to fly. I had the original large sized Blade with the tail rotor and it was hard to learn. I think the batteries had a 4-5 minute life and the gear train was loud.

When it was new, I flew the drone up to the ceiling and over a ceiling lamp and it blew out years of dust from the open globe. I thought I would be smart and just hover it around the wood floors and flow the dust under sofas and chairs but the wife noticed it that night and asked what had been going on.
The difficulty is relative. Few inexperienced people could take a fixed wing aircraft or scale helicopter & fly it with no instruction with out destroying the aircraft..
Old 11-21-2015, 11:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Senior, I used to instruct aerospace students at Auburn U. to fly the Vapor, the Ember, and later the coax helicopters indoors. We started out with planned scenarios on Real Flight. I had 4 computer stations for 2 students each, and each had different levels of difficulty from easy to the impossible set up for each class period. We would do round robin swaps every 30 minutes. They really did learn to fly good enough to fly those electrics including Blade mCX type coax's in a basketball arena without crashing them. What I learned quickly was to disable the combat modules on the coax's. They would sustain heavy damage falling 50-60 feet to the court floors when shot down.

I see where this is going, Dave. The 65 or the 56. I've never had a Saito 65, but Jim owned an ASP 65 4 stroke that was almost as sweet as the Saito 56. I think he had it in a Slow Poke and I walked out one day to bring it back to him when his knees were bad. It was a heavy plane and that ASP 65 yanked it around like it was a feather. A guy in town has the engine now. If you ever have a chance to get an old ASP 65 jump on it. Those are great engines.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM
FNQFLYER

My 2 bob's worth. I imported ASP 65's direct from the factory, never had a dud one, sometimes the carbies needed re working, but the factory gave us new / better replacement ones when asked, which was almost never.. Saito 65 and 56. In competition I have used both and mated to the right a/c they were fantastic performers. Our old 4 strokes are usually sold or relegated to sports a/c. I can still get NIB 56's but I'll drive miles to lay my hands on a "good 65". I am saying both good engines equally interchangeable and as an aside I am gaining renewed respect for my 50GK.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Hobbsy

Barry, I saw Jim's ASP .65 run, it was impressively strong and quick revving.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
Barry, I saw Jim's ASP .65 run, it was impressively strong and quick revving.
It is a surprisingly great little engine, isn't it!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev i've run a couple of asp 160 twins in,they sound better than my saito 182,look better as well.The carbs are a bit cranky we fitted an os carb.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Trev i've run a couple of asp 160 twins in,they sound better than my saito 182,look better as well.The carbs are a bit cranky we fitted an os carb.

The ASP 160T is an opposed twin, the FA-182T is not.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 AM
Hobbsy

The Saito 1.30 and 1.82 sound better if you prefer a little lope in your four stroke music.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 AM
slamn sammy

Happy Thanksgiving All 😀
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Dont you start ! Although I think some people re-tap the head to fit a normal plug and then YES a saito plug would be init . SATISFIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers the pope
Ps shouldnt you be out fighting bush fires rather than trying to stir up trouble ?
If memory serves me correct I think it was Mecoa who made a replacement head for Cox engines so you could use a regular glow plug. There was also the same type of replacement heads for other engines using a Cox still head/glow plug combo, The problem with 4 Cox .049 on a quad would be running out of fuel and diffrent times. Quads don't like losing and engine. Now if you went with TDs or Medallions and a common fuel tank they might work. Use pusher props on two 90 degree off from the puller prop engines would negate torque!

Well what do you know I found them! I first saw one on a Novel engine.

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/
Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, using OS carbies to fix "carby problems" is an established thing here. I always buy up any OS engines I see no matter how crappy if the price is right and the carbies are ok. I regularly use OS 1A's on diesel conversions (especially for Texaco events) and bigger ones to cure fuel shut off problems in Webras. There is a conversion around to fit a 1A directly to the intake of OS 61's for texaco. Don't need them for Saitos though.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
If memory serves me correct I think it was Mecoa who made a replacement head for Cox engines so you could use a regular glow plug. There was also the same type of replacement heads for other engines using a Cox still head/glow plug combo, The problem with 4 Cox .049 on a quad would be running out of fuel and diffrent times. Quads don't like losing and engine. Now if you went with TDs or Medallions and a common fuel tank they might work. Use pusher props on two 90 degree off from the puller prop engines would negate torque!

Well what do you know I found them! I first saw one on a Novel engine.

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/
Those glow plug adaptors from mecoa, for the .049 killed power. They had a terrible combustion chamber shape. The adapter to get was from Doug Galbreth, and I am sure they can still be had quite easily. This head uses a Nelson plug, and gave amazing performance. Get your TD up to that 24,000 redline mark. I have many of these. At this point though, the Fora puts most of the older engines to shame.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Rudolph Hart

I was assuming everyone would know that the fa182 is what i call an even firing flat twin engine and the asp160 twin was odd firing (sounds a bit like a vw with a broken exhaust) like the cute little 90 saito twin,a good looking head design too.

The 182 twin sounds good at full throttle in flight with an 18x6 mas classic,the prop noise is very realistic.

ps sammy where you bin??
Old 11-24-2015, 02:48 AM
Hobbsy

Awwwe Pete, are you greenin us about the even firing 1.82, here is it's crankshaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAI182TD23A_a0.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2132220  
Old 11-24-2015, 06:06 AM
SrTelemaster150

I was assuming everyone would know that the fa182 is what i call an even firing flat twin engine and the asp160 twin was odd firing (sounds a bit like a vw with a broken exhaust) like the cute little 90 saito twin,a good looking head design too.

The 182 twin sounds good at full throttle in flight with an 18x6 mas classic,the prop noise is very realistic.

ps sammy where you bin??
OS & its clone the ASP-160 fire every 360*, the FA-182 fires 180*-540*
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
slamn sammy

ps sammy where you bin??
I been here! Well....... l have been working on a 33% Hanger 9 Cap 232 that we drove 700 miles and a nite in a motel that l bought of RCU. l pulled what we call a Sonny Thomas! LOL....... What that means is, we had a OldFart who has passed away, that would take a good motor and work on it till we all (Standing back) saying "THAT JUST DON'T SOUND WRIGHT?" Anyway, he will tune & tune & tune then take off and crash becouse he forgot to refill the gas tank! LOL..... ='-) I installed a BME102 tween that had been on the slef from 09 till now, But! It was a new enging just did not have the power l needed for the airplane l had it on. 35% Su26. It started just had to do some tuning. It was (DOOMED) from the start! First it would not start? So l got the old power starter and twisted the gut's out of it till fuel was running every where. Then we pulled the cowl off of it to see if l had spark? No spark? Traced it back and found out that l had pluged the motor battery it backwords. DUH! Then l got it into the air just to have it die. just bent the landing gear. it's all good now. The Stnson flew good, But! The Satio did not have enuff for it so l installed the 26 gasser on it, flys real good. Also, wife has been sick and l had a nuther sholder surgery (AGEEN) Other that all is good. l don't know if ya'll do Thanks giving if you do, hope the best for you & your family. Happy Thanksgiving To All Name Fits!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	2132246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	2132247   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	2132248   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	2132249  

Last edited by slamn sammy; 11-24-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks for the gentle poke in the ribs dave,i was referring to what the engines sound like when they are running.

Sammy you've been busy.No we don't do thanksgiving over here but best wishes to all who do.

ps my harddrive took a major dive last monday so struggling away on my computer techs noah notebook.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:30 PM
vertical grimmace

My new 4-star .20 kit showed up yesterday. It looks at first blush to be a perfect model for the little Saito .30. This aircraft, even though advertised as electric, has a little caption in the instructions stating that there are no structural mods needed to use a glow engine. So couple the light design with the little.30, it should be a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.