Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine naming a radio for what it was really meant to do,would confuse the advertising exec today.I remember looking in the open back of a big valve radio in the late fifties when a kid and liking the colour of the glass on the valve stems,how it varied and even then i thought maybe you should'nt touch them while it was plugged in..specially after i heard what capacitors do,more violent than a lucas short circuit setting fire to the leaking carby on my beesa 350 single.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have noticed swap meets in the past year or two are getting smaller, less goodies, more reselling of ARF and crap. If you see a Saito, usually they are asking full retail or someone grabbed it before you could touch it. Quite a few times there were retailers selling new items, at full retail, same things you can get online. The first few I attended I ran out of cash and there were a lot of items I had to pass on due to lack of cash, but the last few I walked out with cash still in my pocket.

I don't know if its just me, or what, but I am losing interest in building. My Biper is still sitting on the bench waiting for me to finish painting the rudder, struts, ailerons and door. Maybe because my back starts to ache after standing for a while, or maybe just not into it. Or maybe because my job it damn near 12 hours a day long that last year I barely had time to fly, and when I did, the weather sucked.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The length is a bit of a challenge, it only has 2 7/16" from the firewall to the front edge of the cowling and a box firewall would move everything back negating the weight gain. I'll be hanged if I would lengthen the nose. A FA-40A puts right where the original 1971 ST .60 engine (I got one of these in my collection) would set. The suggested engine was the old bolt on head ST and there are nowhere near what is produced today.
I would add a second firewall back. I think the .56 would be perfect as well. With the aft "real" firewall, you can maintain that short nose look that the DR1 requires to look right. On my 1/4 scale, I had to box my engine back 2.625" to maintain the correct nose. It was xtra work, but worth it in the end.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have noticed swap meets in the past year or two are getting smaller, less goodies, more reselling of ARF and crap. If you see a Saito, usually they are asking full retail or someone grabbed it before you could touch it. Quite a few times there were retailers selling new items, at full retail, same things you can get online. The first few I attended I ran out of cash and there were a lot of items I had to pass on due to lack of cash, but the last few I walked out with cash still in my pocket.

I don't know if its just me, or what, but I am losing interest in building. My Biper is still sitting on the bench waiting for me to finish painting the rudder, struts, ailerons and door. Maybe because my back starts to ache after standing for a while, or maybe just not into it. Or maybe because my job it damn near 12 hours a day long that last year I barely had time to fly, and when I did, the weather sucked.
No doubt the hobby has changed. And it is tough to get things done when you work a lot of hours. My shop is tough to keep warm, so I have a hard time getting out there when the temps drop too far. Even though I have a blast heater, it is tough to maintain the temps.

While I still love building, and do more of that than anything, I have lost interest in R/C. That aspect of the hobby has really lost me right now. I am building and flying Control line now, again after a long absence. As hard as it is for many to believe, it is more fun to fly. I am currently preparing to make the trip to the AMA Nats to fly CL combat. The ultimate model airplane experience possible IMO.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

If one of you likes building and the other flying saitos how far is it from CO to IL i'd get together and do some flyin.If they are too far apart buy a scooter with a sidecar and head for the nearest pub/off licence/drive thru and fill er up.A good bike ride cleans the cobwebs out was lucky to run into a couple of mates this monday long weekend at a cafe for breakfast.All the cops are out on the main highways doing random breath test and looking for hoons,meanwhile we do one dry run thru an awesome 30 minute set of swervery out on the back roads to check for radar(double point/double fine licence demerits on a public holiday)and since there ain't one it's game on.Got back and felt that good i stripped a saito down,been putting that off for ages.Gets your mojo back!

Barry the woodgrain props are finished with a 2 pack enamel clear.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
No doubt the hobby has changed. And it is tough to get things done when you work a lot of hours. My shop is tough to keep warm, so I have a hard time getting out there when the temps drop too far. Even though I have a blast heater, it is tough to maintain the temps.

While I still love building, and do more of that than anything, I have lost interest in R/C. That aspect of the hobby has really lost me right now. I am building and flying Control line now, again after a long absence. As hard as it is for many to believe, it is more fun to fly. I am currently preparing to make the trip to the AMA Nats to fly CL combat. The ultimate model airplane experience possible IMO.
Rich, check out aerofred.com they have a ton of free C/L classic plans you may be interested in downloading, they are free. I have been a member of AeroFred for about 10 years I think. I know a bunch of guys around here including the owner of my LHS are getting back into C/L using the old engines from back in the 60s and 70s.

I couldn't resist anymore and work on the DR.1 yesterday correcting a few minor errors on the wings. Parts W6 thru W8 (6 of each) look almost exactly a like with some small variances in dimensions and they were mixed together so I had to remove them and redo them I got the correct six installed on the bottom wing panels now. The wingtips weren't positioned quite right on the bottom wing panels so I removed them. I spent 6 hours yesterday inventorying parts and reworking the bottom wing while looking after the wife (she' ill) Since it didn't happen unless you have a picture, this is all I have to show for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100740.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2151259  
Old 03-07-2016, 05:21 PM
acdii

Well I did spend some time doping my Biper. Got the first coat of yellow on the rudder, door and one aileron before I ran out of mix. Need to mix up another batch and get the other aileron, the window frame(door) and then a second coat on it all. Also have to get a second or third coat of white on the struts so I can paint them yellow. Stunk up the house pretty good, but its a good stunk IYKWIM. I still have to cover the lower ailerons and get them painted along with the cowl, then I can do final assembly.

Then i can fire up the Saito 100 and see how it runs, I haven't run it yet, got it used.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Old Fart
If one of you likes building and the other flying saitos how far is it from CO to IL i'd get together and do some flyin.If they are too far apart buy a scooter with a sidecar and head for the nearest pub/off licence/drive thru and fill er up.A good bike ride cleans the cobwebs out was lucky to run into a couple of mates this monday long weekend at a cafe for breakfast.All the cops are out on the main highways doing random breath test and looking for hoons,meanwhile we do one dry run thru an awesome 30 minute set of swervery out on the back roads to check for radar(double point/double fine licence demerits on a public holiday)and since there ain't one it's game on.Got back and felt that good i stripped a saito down,been putting that off for ages.Gets your mojo back!

Barry the woodgrain props are finished with a 2 pack enamel clear.
Losing interest seems to be a phase that all r/c people go through. It makes no sense but it happens whether with building, flying, or all of it. You just have to ride it out or set off the interest again somehow.

I never drive without one of 2 Valentine 1 radar detectors I have. Both are kept up to date on police radar improvements or frequency band changes. Those things get up to 9 radiating units and have arrows to show front/back and the sides. Knowing where it is at is the best part even though laser bounces like light. They rank up at the top for sensitivity and accuracy. There is no telling how many thousands of dollars those detectors have saved me. They aren't an answer to all of the worries one has when wanting to go out for an illegal low altitude romp somewhere, but it cuts the odds down by a huge factor. They make them for bikes too.

I envy your 30 minute route. I have a 2 mile one I call the pinball because it slings me around like a pinball, and has a some small hang time place. I have to be careful because it comes from back streets on to campus and on to a new road they skimped in planning, so it has some nice small turns and sudden ones. You have to cruise it a few times to make sure no police or pedestrians are around and then let her rip through there. Always gets the adrenaline flowing.

S2000 chasing Ducatis on The Tail of the Dragon http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3D&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

I did'nt realise the honda s2000 was that quick.This dragon tails run is in the smoky mountains in tenessee? i watched the vid,trees on either side like here and not much room for a mistake.Also the roo's and bushchooks(emu)galloping across the corners was missing specially for the guys riding ducati's up front.But then i remembered that grizzly bears live up there and i think it would be worse to hit one of them,do ya reckon,like you've just bowled the animal over so it's not going to be too happy plus you've probably got gravel rash and a broken thing or two plus a huge angry looks like your ex handbrake bearing down on you.At least you could try to negotiate with her whereas the grizzly just behaves like a bulldog chewin a bee.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

You got that right O.F., grizzlys have all the forgiveness of a mother in-law with a toothache!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

I did'nt realise the honda s2000 was that quick.This dragon tails run is in the smoky mountains in tenessee? i watched the vid,trees on either side like here and not much room for a mistake.Also the roo's and bushchooks(emu)galloping across the corners was missing specially for the guys riding ducati's up front.But then i remembered that grizzly bears live up there and i think it would be worse to hit one of them,do ya reckon,like you've just bowled the animal over so it's not going to be too happy plus you've probably got gravel rash and a broken thing or two plus a huge angry looks like your ex handbrake bearing down on you.At least you could try to negotiate with her whereas the grizzly just behaves like a bulldog chewin a bee.
You got that right O.F., grizzlys have all the forgiveness of a mother in-law with a toothache!

There are no Grizzly bears in the Smokey Mountains.Black Bears yes, but no Grizzly Bears.

You're thinking of the Rocky Mountains on the other side of the continent.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM
RC_Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
There are no Grizzly bears in the Smokey Mountains.Black Bears yes, but no Grizzly Bears.

You're thinking of the Rocky Mountains on the other side of the continent.
Black bears will mess you up just the same. Only takes a few minutes longer.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:41 PM
FNQFLYER

All this blood and gore. Give me a desert Taipan or on "old saltie" or a nasy pig any day. And for sheer nastiness an angry wombat 9seriously) or a tassie devil take a lot of beating. Old Fart didn't you know Oz is supposed to be the most lethal country in the world to live in, given all the real nasties we have here.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 PM
FlyerInOKC

Some of those boars over in R-Kansas get really big and mean. They will kill you if you give them half a chance.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:29 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Black bears will mess you up just the same. Only takes a few minutes longer.
I ran across one in the trail on my bicycle when I was pedaling across the base of Debar Mnt, in the Adirondacks. He was a scared as I was.

If a Black Bear does attack you he is wanting to eat you. They usually will stalk you, not charge, when they have that in mind.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:50 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
All this blood and gore. Give me a desert Taipan or on "old saltie" or a nasy pig any day. And for sheer nastiness an angry wombat 9seriously) or a tassie devil take a lot of beating. Old Fart didn't you know Oz is supposed to be the most lethal country in the world to live in, given all the real nasties we have here.
Yeh darn tooten imagine running across Tony Abbot in his budgie smugglers ! Would burn your eyes out in a split second . No body would want to come across that in a dark alley , give me a ol grizzly or snake anyday ! Cheers
Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
the pope

To be honest that was pretty lame driving ( my granny could drive better than that ) but it was on a public road so thats a good thing . If you want to watch some good drivers hangen it out watch these ( my bum hole would be twitching like a rabbits nose in the passengers seat especialy on the lawn mower)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFO6FD2lU5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHD...YpO_81jJre51WA
http://www.motormag.com.au/features/...a-ferrari-f12/ Ilike the bit where the passenger put the car in the sand trap and kimi says dont worry they bought plenty of cars with them !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4f-hlZGK4 I wonder if Ferrari knew what he was doing that day ?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
To be honest that was pretty lame driving ( my granny could drive better than that ) but it was on a public road so thats a good thing .
Yeah, but from what I heard your Grannie wore jack boots and broke up biker bars for fun!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:55 AM
the pope

Yeah, but from what I heard your Grannie wore jack boots and broke up biker bars for fun!
Sounds like you know her pretty well ! Did you use to go out with her ? You could be be my grand pappy . cheers
Old 03-11-2016, 01:34 PM
FNQFLYER

To qualify an entry in the Mena Creek pig shoot the pig has to weigh a minimum of 100kgs. Usual size for a win is around 300kg, yes thos figures are correct. Mena Creek is near Innisfail in far north QLD. I have seen croc that have chewed up running chain saws and outboard motors and returned for more(Ref the Northern Territory Times) and I have had angry 'roos demolish in inside of L/Cruisers, I figure that your Bears (of all sorts) fall just a little short of our fauna here in OZ. As a parting thought a 10 foot croc is approximately 100years old and apart from man is the only animal on this earth that will actively select and hunt its prey over days if needs be to catch and kill it. BTB my father used to be a croc hunter and I learned from him. Now my mate is fitting out a new full size Lanzo Airborn. Motive power is to be eithe an OS 60 open rocker or a Saito 65. 5 pound plus a bit model 10 square feet of wing area, should prove interesting.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM
RC_Fanatic

Note to self --- do not go to Australia! Even if they are giving Saitos away.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:50 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
To qualify an entry in the Mena Creek pig shoot the pig has to weigh a minimum of 100kgs. Usual size for a win is around 300kg, yes thos figures are correct. Mena Creek is near Innisfail in far north QLD. I have seen croc that have chewed up running chain saws and outboard motors and returned for more(Ref the Northern Territory Times) and I have had angry 'roos demolish in inside of L/Cruisers, I figure that your Bears (of all sorts) fall just a little short of our fauna here in OZ. As a parting thought a 10 foot croc is approximately 100years old and apart from man is the only animal on this earth that will actively select and hunt its prey over days if needs be to catch and kill it. BTB my father used to be a croc hunter and I learned from him. Now my mate is fitting out a new full size Lanzo Airborn. Motive power is to be eithe an OS 60 open rocker or a Saito 65. 5 pound plus a bit model 10 square feet of wing area, should prove interesting.
Looks like crocodile Dundie is alive and well .I think I would be more scared of a bear .At least u can avoid the Croc by staying away from the water . The bears not so much , I was watching some YouTube vids of bears doing some chasing of some poor buggers who couldn't run - ride their bike fast enough . Sure gave them some food for thought pardon the pun . One guy had a nice tattoo on his arm unfortunately the rest of his body was no where to be seen . You have to be unlucky or stupid to get eaten over here . Those white pointers are a beast that do scare me , the one off Mexico I think was magnificent.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-Mexico.html here she is
another one a bit closer to home
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30600221...delaide-beach/
that one was about 10min away from where I used to live
Cheers

Last edited by the pope; 03-11-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by the pope
Sounds like you know her pretty well ! Did you use to go out with her ? You could be be my grand pappy . cheers
Popey nobody wants to be your dad ok?? and sometimes i wish someone in america would put you up for a few days and see how your anti firearms policy is working for you then brother.Tony abbott in budgie smugglers...are you serious? DT in the white house

On a serious note how many saito guys are here on this forum and do they ever talk about what it sounds and looks like to fly them.It's ok tuning them up in the shed but there's a lot more to it than that,what do you think?

ps takin the duke out for a blat tomorrow with a heap of harley riders...popey if you look at barrys vid of the s2000 honda chasing the ducati riders,you have looked yes?,at the end they catch up to this huge wobbling harley full dresser(look it up) and i swear that looked like dave..but the colour was wrong so it could have a fat moto guzzi
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 AM
acdii

OF I buy them to fly them, Only time they run, well, actually I have never run one on the bench, only the run up stand. When I heard the Saito for the first time when a fellow club member flew his 3d bipe with a saito, I had to have one. Now I only buy Saito when I go for a 4S. I stil get the occasional 2 stroke gas for big motors, but anything under 120 its a Saito. When I got my first one, the 100 GK, and got the thing to idle, it was SAWEET! purrs, idles really low, and runs great. Its in my 1/5th Cub and its a rocket with a 14x6, or scale with balls with an Evolution 15x6. Half throttle flights are very realistic in both speed and sound.

I have a SIG Citabria on the bench, my first real builders kit, and going to be looking for a Saito 56-65, whatever I can find, if I can't then I will splurge for another FG-11. This plane is very similar in size to the T-Clips that I have an FG-11 in, and it flies it well.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

I bet the saito 100gk revved it's nuts off with a 14x6 acdc and your outlook on running and flying saitos is same as mine,very enjoyable.

Dave just to prove i don't "have a bad attitude" to harleys i went for a ride with ten of them today on my duke.Younger guys up to 45 on hotted up vrods etc painted matt black and not carrying any luggage unless attitude can be weighed.These things will light the rear tyre up in third gear but seem allergic to corners or kinks come to that.I've got a question for you.How do you get a valve back into the airbox?? by the time we turned around and got back the bike was parked off the road and a valve head was sitting on the seat,my mate took a pic and i'll post it.

Trev that's a monster piglet and popey i meant to insult you,trust me,and best wishes mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.