Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure. I'll have to dig it out and take a shot. You'll laugh at how ugly it is. But it is a good flying model and is a true beater.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Barry can't beat your favourite flying model eh? was sitting in the shed working on one of mine after drinking a short black mexican and eating two chocolate chippies i'd dipped in the short mex.Made me wish that we had fewer politicians flying saitos at the club..never tell you the truth about prop figures on how much nitro or even if they own a tacho much less what prop pitch they are running when they can see you ain't wearin your glasses which reminds me..sure i just seen two pigs and a duck fly past the shed door,is that a saito related disease or something you pick up down under
Old 05-20-2016, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
Sure. I'll have to dig it out and take a shot. You'll laugh at how ugly it is. But it is a good flying model and is a true beater.
Remember, beauty is only covering deep but ugly goes clear to the balsa! ;-) Besides if its too pretty it ends up a hanger queen!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Barry can't beat your favourite flying model eh? was sitting in the shed working on one of mine after drinking a short black mexican and eating two chocolate chippies i'd dipped in the short mex.Made me wish that we had fewer politicians flying saitos at the club..never tell you the truth about prop figures on how much nitro or even if they own a tacho much less what prop pitch they are running when they can see you ain't wearin your glasses which reminds me..sure i just seen two pigs and a duck fly past the shed door,is that a saito related disease or something you pick up down under
Dude, you really shouldn't drink and type. LOL
Old 05-20-2016, 06:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Dude, you really shouldn't drink and type. LOL
Somebody has to keep his favorite brewery in business! ;-)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:04 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Saito 100
Saito .72 Golden Knight
Saito FG14c gasser

Last edited by GSXR1000; 05-24-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Rudolph Hart

And your first names suzuki? welcome

Acdc if you can drink and drive safely by missing everything except harleys the keyboard is a doddle
Old 05-20-2016, 05:39 PM
acdii

there you go, foddlin your keyboard again
Old 05-23-2016, 08:17 AM
blw

Here it is. It has numerous mods. You can see the flat deck on top from the firewall to the turtle deck. That is very handy. I didn't replace the cheeks after the last crash. I may build up a streamlined nose for it. It has a shortened canopy. Counterbalances on the elevators and rudder. Tip plates. Raised main gear. No flying wires. Actually, I think the rudder was enlarged by the builder. I've copied the old one and replaced it after a crash. It has a new aileron on the left wing. The patches are mostly from the midair with another SSE. Both of our wings were crunched and some 6" of my leading edge strip was stuck into the other guys fuselage. We both landed ok. I also put on a real tailwheel mechanism as the old one kept tearing out the bottom hinge. You can see the tip plates cover full aileron travel.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSE wingtip.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	2163906   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSE plane.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	553.6 KB
ID:	2163907  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 AM
acdii

Ah, thats what you meant by tip plates. Looks like a good add. One thing that looks off on your plane, which could explain low prop clearance, your motor seems to be sitting lower than it should. Hard to tell without the side cowls. The tip of the prop hub is dead center to the LE on mine. I am in the process of making new wing braces for an Ultimate Bipe, which leaves me with a bit of extra 1/8" plywood, looks like an easy add so I will give it a try. Anything useful that makes it not look just like all the rest is a good thing.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 AM
blw

I'll check the engine placement. I did all that work when I was new to model airplanes. To be honest, I've never gone back and looked at that work

The tip plates prevent tip vortices from hitting the ailerons, and handling is noticeably smoother since the ailerons work only in smooth air. They aren't getting close to stalling at the tips, so stall speed is cut way down. It comes in very slowly now, so you can have fun with it. Takeoff rolls are only a few feet with the NT and the Tower's muffler. I measured more than 1000 RPM gain by changing mufflers.

I was given a SSE kit that is 75% built by a guy who just can't build models. I took off the Monokote and found all kinds of serious mistakes. It is on my to do list, but I'm thinking of making the fuselage a few inches longer and putting a Saito 72 on it one day.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just on the Horizon Hobby website and I noticed that there are very few spare parts for the Saito 72. The last I checked (several years ago) they carried just about every part there was for the engine. What's going on? Is Horizon no longer refreshing their stock? That would be a big disappointment. One of the advantages of Saitos has been plentiful and reasonably priced spare parts.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by blw
I'll check the engine placement. I did all that work when I was new to model airplanes. To be honest, I've never gone back and looked at that work

The tip plates prevent tip vortices from hitting the ailerons, and handling is noticeably smoother since the ailerons work only in smooth air. They aren't getting close to stalling at the tips, so stall speed is cut way down. It comes in very slowly now, so you can have fun with it. Takeoff rolls are only a few feet with the NT and the Tower's muffler. I measured more than 1000 RPM gain by changing mufflers.

I was given a SSE kit that is 75% built by a guy who just can't build models. I took off the Monokote and found all kinds of serious mistakes. It is on my to do list, but I'm thinking of making the fuselage a few inches longer and putting a Saito 72 on it one day.
Spent about 45 minutes last night and made up a pair of these wing tip plates. Will see how they work. Used Red covering just to make my plane unique, makes it easier to keep track of when in a pack of them.

Before

After

Name:	IMG_3120.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2164063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2164064  
Old 05-24-2016, 05:52 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by JPMacG
I was just on the Horizon Hobby website and I noticed that there are very few spare parts for the Saito 72. The last I checked (several years ago) they carried just about every part there was for the engine. What's going on? Is Horizon no longer refreshing their stock? That would be a big disappointment. One of the advantages of Saitos has been plentiful and reasonably priced spare parts.
noooooss, my Saito 72 Golden Knight is due for a rebuild after this flying season, hopefully they'll have parts in by then.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM
acdii

Hope I don't muck up my 72, its still practically new. I don't have a gallon of fuel through it yet.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM
blw

Advantage Hobby has some parts for the 72, but nothing large like backplates or crankcases. There is a hobby shop in England that I prefer to use. I need to find an invoice and get their website info. The English sites always seemed to be better stocked than most here in the U.S.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:35 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blw your wing tip plates (winglets or foklets) do not stop vortices hitting the ailerons rather they contain the "spillage of lift" off the end of the wing. The relative effectiveness on ful size a/c depends or not on whether the wing is designed for them of not. If you wish to check further on this I refer you to the Northrop theory books, Mechanics of Flight or Kernode, texts I still have in my library as reference. Also if you can acquire it the Boeing program for basic flight analysis called " Piano", it is old but still useful.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here are a couple of good articles on winglets you may find interesting. I chose to build my TF Cessna 182 with Hoerner wing tips for much the same reasons. Hoerner tips were developed in the earlier 50s with the winglet coming later.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2010/t_5.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device
Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 AM
georgiateddy
My Feedback: (11)

Looking for some help with a Saito 150 w/ 16/6 prop :

I have a float plane ( my 1st build of floats ) ready for maiden; however, the engine just isnt tuned properly. I am a B+ at tuning so help is needed. Ive tried the common attempts of high end then low end. It feels like I am chasing my tail. The engine will not let me get to high rpm to work the high needle to perfection. It spits and sputters. Ive tried leaning. Ive tried riching.

I feel the low end original factory setting would be great; however, the only advise to where factory low end is states flush with the throttle arm level. Seems less than absolute. The high end is easy to find for a starting point. 3 Turns out and fine tune.

Any ideas how to get the low end near factory original ? or suggestions how to get this 150 cooking so I can fly my float plane !!!!

thanks,

Teddy

Name:	CAM02525.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	2164281   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM02526.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	2164282  
Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
FNQFLYER

Hoerner tips were introduced to improve aileron sensitivity when STOL mods were carried out on the wing. The sort of devices that extend are there to reduce lift (generated on the top wing) from "running" down the wing from root to tip and falling of the end. Simplistic I know but fact. Early modellers used the fences you have installed to guide air over the aileron to improve sensitivity.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:44 PM
blw

Acdii- tell us how yours work out. I have about -40 expo on my Futaba for that full scale hydraulic controls feel. My SSE seems a bit softer going into a rolling action and comes out of a roll a bit smoother.

Trevor- I know there are proper names for these wing tip modifications and tip plates but I'll never keep the names straight. I have to disagree a bit about the airflow comment though. Both ends of any wing flies in disturbed air. Inboard air is disturbed at the fuselage-wing intersection and fillets help reduce drag there. Basically, if there is a differential between pressures on the top relative to the bottom of the wing there will be vortices at the tips.

How airflows are directed along a wingspan are first generated by the planform of the wing, like swept and elliptical wings.

Last edited by blw; 05-26-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

And the fences help direct air over control surfaces in a more direct manner,makes a huge difference whether swept or not.Good to see you are still alive trev.

ACDC is a popular band over here who do a fair bit of faffin as well,look them up you twit.Have you thrown a 125 in the bin lately?

Popey seems you arn't the only one lives in a state full of meth head robbin so and so's...got raided couple of days ago took cash and cards with my spare set of keys for the gunsafe etc,wish i'd been here to wave a friendly goodbye with both 12ga buckshot barrels into his running bum cheeks..ah fantasies
Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM
blw

Pete- I know how you feel. Years ago I got hit 3 times and lost 2 shotguns from that came from each grandfather, a Makarov 9mm, VCRs, and a few small things. Alarms couldn't deter them and I moved closer to civilization for police coverage.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:42 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Old Fart
And the fences help direct air over control surfaces in a more direct manner,makes a huge difference whether swept or not.Good to see you are still alive trev.

ACDC is a popular band over here who do a fair bit of faffin as well,look them up you twit.Have you thrown a 125 in the bin lately?

Popey seems you arn't the only one lives in a state full of meth head robbin so and so's...got raided couple of days ago took cash and cards with my spare set of keys for the gunsafe etc,wish i'd been here to wave a friendly goodbye with both 12ga buckshot barrels into his running bum cheeks..ah fantasies
Im no meth head thank u very much ! Perhaps if u werent hiding under the bed eating those funny green biscuits and pretending to be cheech and chong things may have worked out better . Hope u were insured and if so do the Aussie thing and add about $10 000 extra to the stolen list and go shopping . Cheers
Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 AM
blw

Be thankful it wasn't a r/c thief. Those guys clean out planes, radio, tools, and everything else when they hit someones trailer or shop. Some of the turbine guys loose $30k. To me, that's time for rounding up a posse and taking along the hanging rope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.