Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 05-28-2016, 08:56 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are limits to what we should tolerate. A needle in the arm is just to easy. A public gallos and and good hanging.

Ken
Old 05-28-2016, 05:23 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While giving someone a good beating if u catch them in the act I dont disagree with but a public hanging ? Man thats harsh . What about the insurance companies that take your $ for 20yrs and then try and find every loophole to avoid paying out . To me there bigger scum . I had a tree flatten our shed and I men it was squashed like a pancake . The adjuster came out and couldnt even look in there . He said just write a list and send it in . Well thats when the fun started . I had an old C.L. plane , lawn mower , paint tins and all the usual stuff . All stuffed . Then I get a phone call with some stupid cow sounding like she was doing me the greatest favor in the world offering me a $ amount and either like it or lump it . I said I havent even tried putting a $ amount and I would get back to her . Anyway the amount was no where near the value so I told her so and then she had the hide to tell me that I hadnt used the plane in yrs ( must have been a mind reader ) and the paint tins werent full ( how would she know that ) and the lawn mower was old . I took what she offered and I told her I read the policy and it states to fix or replace so thats what they were going to do . I complained to the insurance ombudsman and got a nice letter and a additional cheque . A-holes . Or what about dudes who take oldies $ in some scam or other . These crimes dont seem to carry the same weight although coming face to face with someone in your own home must scare the bejesus out of you and thankfully it hasnt happen to me . Cheers
Old 05-29-2016, 04:00 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgiateddy
Looking for some help with a Saito 150 w/ 16/6 prop :

I have a float plane ( my 1st build of floats ) ready for maiden; however, the engine just isnt tuned properly. I am a B+ at tuning so help is needed. Ive tried the common attempts of high end then low end. It feels like I am chasing my tail. The engine will not let me get to high rpm to work the high needle to perfection. It spits and sputters. Ive tried leaning. Ive tried riching.

I feel the low end original factory setting would be great; however, the only advise to where factory low end is states flush with the throttle arm level. Seems less than absolute. The high end is easy to find for a starting point. 3 Turns out and fine tune.

Any ideas how to get the low end near factory original ? or suggestions how to get this 150 cooking so I can fly my float plane !!!!

thanks,

Teddy
Teddy a 16x6 is very small for a 150.Start with the lsn flush with the throttle arm and tune for max rpm,if in doubt ask dave to help you he's real good on tuning saitos and so is barry.They are the best i've read and make sense which is easily digested.Even tho i hate 125's you can trust me

Flyin again you are the best fisherman in town..never seen popey go off like that before
Old 05-29-2016, 02:26 PM
FNQFLYER

Gee the conversation re fences, winglets etc is getting interesting. Winglets and fences stop lift flowing from the wing root to the tip and thus forming vortices that generate drag. The "fences" you talk about Old fart (or at least I assume so) are actually vortex generators that re invigorate the airflow in the conventional sense and improve the response/effectiveness of the flight controls, actually the ailerons. Fences are very crude winglets. Now re hoerner tips, on STOL moded a/c the sensitivity of the ailerons is greatly reduced at slow speed and this was an attempt to improve the performance (flight controls) of single engined a/c. Unfortunately the loss of top end speed reduced their popularity.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well had my first flight with them and it was WAY too windy to find out how they work. 16+ MPH winds make that little plane do a dance. I tried slowing it down to see if it would Harrier, but the winds were just too gusty. With the tail wind and 3/4 throttle it SCREAMED by me like a tiger with its tail on fire. Going full throttle into the wind though, you could really see it struggle. Those wings were dancing!

On that 150, unless you prop it correctly, you will never get it to run right. Too small a prop and you dont have the mass for a decent idle, and can over rev it on the high end. I run a 15x6 on a 100, and 17 x 6 on the 125. YES OF I do have a 125!!! It flies my Stang quite well thankyouverymuch. I picked it up at a swap meet dirt cheap, and thought I was going to have to fiddle with it. Nope, I just adjusted the valves when I first got it, it sat a year on the nose of the 51, and 3 seconds on the starter and it was purring. Didn't have to touch it.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 AM
Rudolph Hart

If you fly something faster and saito powered the wind don't matter so much sounds like you were having as much fun as we do.

Trev who bothers to fence inside an engine cowl of a popular arf nowadays to keep your methanol saito cool? nobody i can see,hav'nt seized one yet.

Acdc i'd be wary of anything i picked up at a swap meet reminds you of those smokey late sixties club nights out on the town.Never knew what you would come down with in the following days.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Old Fart
If you fly something faster and saito powered the wind don't matter so much sounds like you were having as much fun as we do.

Trev who bothers to fence inside an engine cowl of a popular arf nowadays to keep your methanol saito cool? nobody i can see,hav'nt seized one yet.

Acdc i'd be wary of anything i picked up at a swap meet reminds you of those smokey late sixties club nights out on the town.Never knew what you would come down with in the following days.
Well. so far only have one Saito out of the bunch that needed something. Of course its the one in the Biper. Ran the engine up yesterday, and while it ran perfectly, you can hear the bearing howling. There is also a tad bit of play in the shaft now. Guess I will have to order a new set, or see if I can find the ones out of my other one that I cracked the case on and see if they are OK. They were practically new, but I may have damaged one taking the thing apart.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM
the pope

As soon as I detect a bit of bearing issue I whipp them out . Usually its not noise but play . I figure its cheaper than having a scored top end and they dont require replacement that often anyway . Lean runs can be a killer but replacement is the cost playing in this game sooner or latter . Cheers
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM
acdii

Once I get a few flights in, I want this ready to fly on the 10-12th this month, or it would already be on the bench. When I get back from the SIG Flyin then I will tear it down and put new ones in. I don't plan to do a lot of flying with it, but want to show Hazel it, I told her I would be bringing it.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Speaking of Saito engines I saw a used older 150 this weekend I can get for about $75 to $85, the hold back someone unqualified has taken it a part. The back cover gasket is thin cardboard and the exhaust pipe and carb are in each other's port into the cylinder. It was dirty but I didn't care about that, it did turn over and had compression. I was tempted but I'm not working and didn't want to spend the money on a "maybe" engine. Would you take a chance on something like this?

Here is what it looked like new:

He had an unassembled O.S.Graupner Wankel rotary too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 150.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2165296  

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-13-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2016, 04:31 PM
acdii

Wonder if he thought flipping the exhaust and intake would allow it to run backwards. I have passed on quite a few large Saito's at meets, mainly because I have nothing to use them on. The one I passed on that I still kick myself over is the 300T BK. $300 and I passed on it. Now I know of something it would work perfect for.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Wonder if he thought flipping the exhaust and intake would allow it to run backwards. I have passed on quite a few large Saito's at meets, mainly because I have nothing to use them on. The one I passed on that I still kick myself over is the 300T BK. $300 and I passed on it. Now I know of something it would work perfect for.
I'll admit its tempting if I could afford the outlay.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

It would never start so i'd buy it for that money and more,take a risk.The paper gaskets you mention(back or front cover pages out of the glossy playboy magazine)make real good cam cover(gear clearance)spacers and you don't need one on the crankcase backplate.No pressure.Popey stop being so damn sensible i'm gettin worried
Old 06-01-2016, 05:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Old Fart
It would never start so i'd buy it for that money and more,take a risk.The paper gaskets you mention(back or front cover pages out of the glossy playboy magazine)make real good cam cover(gear clearance)spacers and you don't need one on the crankcase backplate.No pressure.Popey stop being so damn sensible i'm gettin worried
I may reconsider if he can't find a buyer. Don't worry about Popey, moments of clarity are known to appear occasionally at his age but they don't last long. ;-)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Pope- sorry about your loss. It happens here too. On the other hand, how about low lifes who rip off insurance companies.....like someone recently who is distant family, lets say. She was driving with my wife and some small company truck tapped the back bumper while at a light. Nothing bad and the bumper was dented in a bit. Probably could have popped it out but she let the body shop do it. No idea if it was repainted or replaced. Bottom line is my wife was fine but the family member ended up with $22k in her pocket for claims. It's really hard to not say something snide when I see her at family get togethers, but she's a thief imo and the reason adjusters act the way they do. BTW, her new husband just put in 30 years as a fire inspector for a major insurance company! And he lets her do it. Hard to believe.

Last edited by blw; 06-01-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Barry insurance companies own the tallest skyscrapers in the city,the tradesmen who subcontract to them own the lowest.For gawds sake don't sympathize with popey over that this could take up a whole page while some poor so and so is flinging saito 150 props all over the back yard.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

AC, the cam profiles are very different between the intake and exhaust cam. the exhaust has a nearly flat side on one side. It looks like there are pliar marks on the intake jam nut, forget about that engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0929.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2165485  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-02-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by blw
Bottom line is my wife was fine but the family member ended up with $22k in her pocket for claims. It's really hard to not say something snide when I see her at family get togethers, but she's a thief imo and the reason adjusters act the way they do. BTW, her new husband just put in 30 years as a fire inspector for a major insurance company! And he lets her do it. Hard to believe.
Because being on "the inside" he has 1st hand knowledge of just what a den of thieves insurance companies are.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Rudolph Hart

Or maybe the firey has inside information about who knows best how to light them just when i get comfortable with the fact that you hav'nt been here for ages sr and may have passed away you pop up again like one of those furrball creatures in the movies that you should never pour water on.I think it was called critters.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 AM
the pope

I think thats the 1st time Ive agreed with tele . Whats going on ? Next I'll get a gun !!!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:47 AM
acdii

OF that was Gremlins.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think I hit on an idea to solve three problems.

1. Congress and elected officials in general
2. Money in politics
3. Alien abductions

Here is how it works we tell the Aliens they are free to abduct all the members of Congress (we'll expand it to other elected officials later) for experimental purposes.
This gets all the undesirables, do nothings, and out and out crooks out of the way. If and when they are returned we'll shuffle them off to some remote island to work in agriculture while they take 5 or decades to recover. Since their terms are cut short no need for Congressional pensions.
Since the career span of elected officials is suddenly cut short and with the high cost with little return on investment people like the Koch brothers will no longer find it cost effective to buy elections and politicians.
If we're lucky the Aliens will find politicians so unsavory they'll euthanize them rather then returning them thinking we have enough problems already without them and decide the human race is a big waste of time and the Earth is such a backwater any way.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:58 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think I hit on an idea to solve three problems.

1. Congress and elected officials in general
2. Money in politics
3. Alien abductions

Here is how it works we tell the Aliens they are free to abduct all the members of Congress (we'll expand it to other elected officials later) for experimental purposes.
This gets all the undesirables, do nothings, and out and out crooks out of the way. If and when they are returned we'll shuffle them off to some remote island to work in agriculture while they take 5 or decades to recover. Since their terms are cut short no need for Congressional pensions.
Since the career span of elected officials is suddenly cut short and with the high cost with little return on investment people like the Koch brothers will no longer find it cost effective to buy elections and politicians.
If we're lucky the Aliens will find politicians so unsavory they'll euthanize them rather then returning them thinking we have enough problems already without them and decide the human race is a big waste of time and the Earth is such a backwater any way.
I like it. Now we just need to get the Aliens on board with it and we're good! This will work globally too.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Maybe we could start with our two assumptive presidential candidates?
Aren't there three? Anyway, two of them ARE the aliens!! And I don't think we can tell the other aliens anything. If they are here or in the near field just outside, then they know everything anyway. As Elon Musk said, "maybe we are just the players in an alien video game"
Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
the pope

The thing on D.T. head is a ferret , poor thing .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.