Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Aren't there three? Anyway, two of them ARE the aliens!! And I don't think we can tell the other aliens anything. If they are here or in the near field just outside, then they know everything anyway. As Elon Musk said, "maybe we are just the players in an alien video game"
Yes and i believe bernie is going to do hilary in california,shame
Righto guys i just copped a razor cut the size of my first saito prop strike at the hairdressers this morning.Conversation got round to hairdressing is a trade here and the hourly rate for all that study.She's the same age as me so i asked her how far back in the last century did she get her trade certificate,that's when the trouble started.

Dave you ridin the hogley ferguson?
Old 06-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

As a matter of fact I'm riding it in about 20 minutes, and again tomorrow, I've been fishing in Mo. for 10 days. Spent yesterday installing a new thermostat and lower radiator hose on the Misterbishi. I think it's a short timer. It needs something new every week now at 206,000 miles. It's throwing a Throttle Position Sensors code now. The Check Engine light has stayed off for one whole day and night. My F-150 with 210,000 miles seldom needs anything.
I have a new un run OS .95v, it's highly unusual for me to have a new engine for an hour without running it. The crankcase vent is cast as anh integral part of the crankcase. TDC is marked on the prop driver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0932.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2165708   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0931.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2165709  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
My F-150 with 210,000 miles seldom needs anything.
I bet the a/c went out a long time ago, Dave. Don't they all die right at 100K miles? I sold my truck I bought in 1993 a couple of years ago and got a new 2012 model. Trucks sure have changed....for the better, imo. As much as I loved the old truck I wouldn't swap back.

Sr. T, I guess everyone is a crook, the insurance guys, the adjusters, and the customers and my sister in law.

I deleted a post or two since names were mentioned and went too far over the political comment restriction line. Sorry, but had to do it.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:55 AM
Hobbsy

I just recharged the AC about two weeks ago, I did it myself, it will still make your arms ache. It blew one of those little caps off on the high pressure side. 7 bucks for the caps and three cans of R-134 and it went right back to work. I've actually been looking at a Dodge 1500 Diesel but you can't get a Dodge with an extended cab and an 8 foot bed. With both GM and Ford you can. My wife drove the F 150 to Ashburn, Va. yesterday, she'd rather drive it than her car. It's smoother and quieter. The worst enemy for an AC system is not using it. Ford automatically runs their AC systems every so often the keep the oil circulated and the seals lubed.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-05-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

If you robbed us of some posts i reckon that makes you a thief! as far as vehicles go i sometimes wish the manufacturers would simplify things call me a dreamer and make them as basic as a honda ct110 stepthru to own.Something the younger generation would come to value(cheaper)if they could get their faces out of their phones and actually realize where they are,specially when the pull out in front of you or sit at a green light texting...ahh that feels better pphhhtt.

Dave i like the os idea with a keyed prop driver,wish saito had done it,or did they once.

ps just read a test on the new tesla electric motorcycle,pretty fast and dead silent so no one can hear you coming plus,even with the latest battery technology it takes 8 hours to recharge for a hundred mile range or so.They say the electric motor itself is good for 450,000 kms.You can buy a special quick charger for an extra 5 grand here but it does'nt look anything like a three pin 240v plug we use here and the bike retails for around 25 grand.I think the battery is going to do a gremlin(the movie)well before you start saving any money on fuel or oil,which is consumed so you can recharge the battery,so much for being green.And not with envy
Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Putting my F150 to work tomorrow. Picking up a travel trailer that I just bought. Going to do some "roughin it", in style. I love my 14 F150 EB. Getting 20 MPG in it, without the trailer of course. I got it last year and already put over 39K on it. It had 113 the day I bought it, and one year to the day I had 36120 miles on it.

I need inspiration on a Hanger 9 P-47 150 Razorback. I have one of these, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...J9LBoCc1zw_wcB that I got for it, it has a DLE30 on it so need dual switch for RX and Ignition. I just dont know where to put it so its concealed, but that I dont have to take the top off to get to it.

Ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Rudolph Hart

Look up a youtube vid kwik posted of his corsair with the fg57t,nice little magnetic cowl flap hid the tacho and switches.

Gas must be cheap over there we pay about 4 dollars a gallon here(1.15 per litre) and average mileage per year is 20,000 kms(12,000 miles) yours sounds huge at 36,000 miles.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 AM
Hobbsy

The Shell here in Oak Grove is at 2.29 per gallon.
I run ethanol free gas in my F-150 now and it gets 18.5 mpg and only 14.5 mpg on the 10% Ethanol gas. Government genius' at work.

Pete, I'm receiving a 15x6 Xoar today for the OS .95, since we're free to chit chat off the beaten path I'll share the results here. Since the OS has a steel sleeve I'll not use my Saito break in method.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Yes and i believe bernie is going to do hilary in california,shame
Righto guys i just copped a razor cut the size of my first saito prop strike at the hairdressers this morning.Conversation got round to hairdressing is a trade here and the hourly rate for all that study.She's the same age as me so i asked her how far back in the last century did she get her trade certificate,that's when the trouble started.

Dave you ridin the hogley ferguson?
O.F. didn't anyone ever tell you timing is everything?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Look up a youtube vid kwik posted of his corsair with the fg57t,nice little magnetic cowl flap hid the tacho and switches.

Gas must be cheap over there we pay about 4 dollars a gallon here(1.15 per litre) and average mileage per year is 20,000 kms(12,000 miles) yours sounds huge at 36,000 miles.

I looked, couldnt find it, but did give some thought to the cowl method. Problem is the thin fiberglass cowl will chip and fray too easily to be a viable location. I may have to open the bottom of the cowl for cooling, then I have a location under the FW box where I can put the switch and be able to reach it.

Gas by me is $2.38 a gallon for 87, and I have been running E-free 91 Octane BP, but its over $3 a gallon again, so switched back to 87. I lose about 1-2 MPG depending on weather, and the right foot, but with a tune on the truck my MPG is still up around 20 MPG. lifetime average with both winter and summer drive is 19.2, best tank is 21.4 MPG.

Total cost for fuel since the day I bought the truck is $5110.39, which works out to $0.13 a mile in fuel costs.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I bought gas the other day for $1.89 & 9/10 today its up to $1.91 & 9/10. The 9/10s thing is a holdover from first half of the 20th century when gasoline actually sold for tenths of a penny. Gasoline was originally a waste leftover product of kerosene production. Kerosene is what built Standard Oil Co. (Ohio) and John D. Rockefeller's fortune.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thats interesting okc over here we pay lots more for diesel than petrol(gas)

Dave this run in with the os95v and a steel liner sounds interesting,how are you going to attack that?

Acdc just search 'saito fg57 corsair' the youtube vid is shot on an iced over lake in norway i think.At the start you get a good look at what you were asking about re switches and the way he has done it,very well
Old 06-07-2016, 04:01 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, here is an excerpt from the instructions.
("Breaking-in")The recommended procedure is as follows:Use the same fuel and prop as you intend for flying your model.1.2. Open the needle-valve 2.5-3 turns from the fully closed position and start the engine.3. Open the throttle slowly to the mid speed position, and disconnect the current to the glowplug.4. Now open the throttle slowly to the fully opened position and run the engine for no more than 5 seconds with the needle-valve tuned to produced near maximum r.p.m.,then, immediately, slow the engine down again by opening the needle-valve approximately one turn. The rich mixture, so induced, will cool the engine, at the same time providing increased lubrication.All internal-combustion engines benefit from extra care when they are run for the first few times known as running-in or breaking-in. This allows the working parts to mate together under load at operating temperature.Therefore, it is vitally important to complete the break-in before allowing the engine to run continuously at high speed and before finalizing carburetor adjustments. However,because O.S. engines are produced with the aid of the finest modern precision machinery and from the best and most suitable materials,only a short and simple running-in procedure is called for and can be carried out with the engine installed in the model.5. Repeat this process, alternately running the engine fast and slow by means of the needle-valve, while keeping the throttle fully open, then begin to extend the short periods of high-speed operation until two tanks of fuel have been consumed.

Diesel fuel in my area is 10 cents per gallon lower than the 87 octane.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-07-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:21 AM
acdii

OF Found it, thanks. Looks like the cowl on that one is much thicker then mine, maybe even ABS instead of glass. He had it open while running up the engine, if it were as thin as mine, it would have blown off. While I was looking at that one, there was another one with a Moki 400 that I just had to click on. Holy moly it sounds like the real thing!

Dave, that procedure is nearly the same for the FG-11. WOT and adjust the speed with the HSN. It said to run two tanks through, but after an hour, only finished one tank and was already at 8K. Great runner too.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:15 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nah if you look closely you will see a soft balsa frame supporting the cutout and hatch,sop,hinge quality is good too.Yes that moki 400 sure does it(look it up you other lazy so and so's,it's good).My favourite for sound and i so so wish that saito would make something similar is the kolm engine in the 'galloping ghost' flown at low level in europe.What a sound,if saito has one in the pipeline someone yell out cause i'd put that in a mk5 spitfire as soon as tomorrow.

Dave are you running the engine in for someone else or is it yours?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, it is mine, a recent purchase, I almost bought the .62 version of it but decided I'd be more likely to use the .95.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:22 AM
acdii

Well until I find the rest of the switch, not much I can do. Somehow I misplaced the package it came in, pretty sure there are screws, and a backing plate(could be wrong and there was nothing else in the package). Today I fly, weather is perfect for flying, winds have died down from the 20MPH+ they have been the past 4 days. Going to maiden the Biper Cub, fly my P-51 a few more times, and get my trailer organized for the SIG Flyin this weekend.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to admit I'm outside my comfort zone on this one and running out of answers.

Side mounted a 100 on the Seawind and moved the tank down to the fuse below the wing tube. This lowered the CofG and should reduce changes and a tendency on this A/C to be a bit unstable in a turn when bank angle increased. To get the fuel up I mounted a Perry VP-30 on a fabbed bracket on the firewall.

NOTE: Have a Slimline Pitts style to go on this, but figured I would get a baseline before trying that.

Anyway, craft is ready to maiden IF I can get the bloody thing consistent. Ran it around the yard for over a half hour with no real issues. Took it to the field last weekend and first time throttling up the prop ejected, (lean condition). Never found the Higgleys so loaded it up again. At home pulled apart the filter. Since a new system this is most likely when you would see it blocked with "Schmigglies".

Yesterday tried again and here's the latest hair puller. Engine seems to peak out with the HS needle 2 1/2-3 turns out, but the LS is very close to bottomed out and hair sensitive. I have adjusted the pump output and even tried direct muffler pressure, (will have to put a check valve in the feed line for that one if I want to save my starter). No go for now as described, but I did also find a bit more consistency with the muffler feed disconnected, (straight pump).

So, still very sensitive on the LS, HS peaks out nice with good power, (15% nitro and 13/8 M/A 3-blade, a good combi for this one).

Other annoying problem is regardless of how I set the LS, it will cut out immediately or drag for a bit before dying off. I can extend that a bit, but find it loaded up when increasing throttle. I have a McD's Remote Glow in spares, but want to avoid any more systems and weight. Even though 2.4 also want to adhere to their instructions to avoid the glow power lead near the servo leads. With the throttle in the tail they would be pretty close as they come up the fin and into the pod.

Anyone have some suggestions? I have been looking into a Cline regulator setup but that one will need the tank pressurized 'ala YS and I find that problematic with a 4-stroke, (translated means no idea where to get the pressure pulse and still have effective case vent). Also heard that the VP-30 is a more consistent setup.

Name:	DSCF1187.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2166988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1198.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2166989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1199.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2166993  

Last edited by Cougar429; 06-09-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cougar, it sounds like your problems all stem from the fuel tank being below and far from the engine. My thought is to try an electric fuel pump but then you'll need a way to regulate pressure to the carb. Another thing to consider is the Saito pump system. You'll need a special valve Saito has and two taps in the rear cover plate with check valves. One for "in" and one for "out". With this, it'll pressurized the tank like YS does. You can read more about it in the link (#4).

http://saito-engines.info/pumps.html

Name:	image.png
Views:	87
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	2166997  
Old 06-09-2016, 05:55 AM
acdii

If you have to screw the LSN almost all the way in, you are getting too much pressure to the carb, but then your HSN is acting like not enough pressure. Sounds like there is a regulator issue. I never used a pump, so other than that I have nothing else.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Cougar429

I contacted Conley and will try another pump sitting in spares. Hope that cures the need for remote glow, as well.

Think it would also be a good idea to try the setup on the test stand again to see if the problem is in the A/C.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Hobbsy

Cougar, the Saito exhaust will power a Cline regulator quite well. the check valve traps the peaks of the exhaust pulses, The Saito exhaust will put a serious bulge in one of the stiff walled Sullivan tanks. I have three or four of the Perry pumps one being the crank pressure driven one, I gave up on them. If you go Cline, set the engine up with the fuel tank in the ideal position then when you add the Cline, nothing will change as far as the needles go.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Cougar429

I was hoping to get a reply on a Cline, but nothing yet.

If I read that right, you simply install a check valve in the normal exhaust vent line? If that's the case I would have to rethink how to allow ambient for refueling as it will all be cowled once the Slimline is installed.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:52 AM
Rudolph Hart

From what i heard cline shut down a while back.I have a couple,dave offers good advice definitley worth a try.Properly tuned the saito singles peak at just under 2 turns out.

Dave what would you put the 95 in.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 AM
Hobbsy

http://www.christiantraders.com.au/s...line_PCFS.html

The new home of Cline regulators as well as several other top quality products like TurboHeaders and Roto Flow fuel tanks.

Pete, it may end up on an old Joss Stick that used to wear a Fitzpatrick .61 that I sold..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.