Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

RC Friends, This has little to do with modeling but was/is fun anyway. I restored this 1975 Herschede Grandfather clock, it has been running since 8:00 AM Tuesday and is only about 25 seconds slow. I still ave a couple of white paint spots to remove, (carefully), luckily they are tiny. It was made in Mississippi in 1975. The "works" were pretty dirty, I cleaned them with NAPA Electronics Cleaner then re-lubed the moving parts with a special Swiss Made clock oil I ordered.I had to adjust the ratchet device which the pendulum activates, to get the tick tock even and regular.According to clock "ekspurts" I'm not supposed to have that skill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0935.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2167119  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your a/c still works, Dave. Mine died after about 16 years on my old truck. I sold it several years ago for the 2012 model I have now. It was 19 years old and it sold in less than 20 hours of being advertised on Craig's List. I hauled a lot in that truck, moved 5 times, etc. Lots of time in the mud and woods with it.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Hobbsy

My brothers each have an F-150 and 250 with 240,000 and 250,000 with AC's untouched so far. Mine is older in years but younger in mileage.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
RC Friends, This has little to do with modeling but was/is fun anyway. I restored this 1975 Herschede Grandfather clock, it has been running since 8:00 AM Tuesday and is only about 25 seconds slow. I still ave a couple of white paint spots to remove, (carefully), luckily they are tiny. It was made in Mississippi in 1975. The "works" were pretty dirty, I cleaned them with NAPA Electronics Cleaner then re-lubed the moving parts with a special Swiss Made clock oil I ordered.I had to adjust the ratchet device which the pendulum activates, to get the tick tock even and regular.According to clock "ekspurts" I'm not supposed to have that skill.
Ok i'll take your grandfather clock and up you with a picture of a secret fg57t refuelling station in my shed..

Name:	20160612_153650.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	2167452  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Hobbsy

Hey Pete, is that like, "how bout a stubby Mate"? At least it's alky and not petrol.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Rudolph Hart

Oh that hurts dave,it is a petrol engine and ain't got no apc prop on it either see pic i posted it upside down so you'd break your neck lookin at it

Name:	20160612_153712.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	2167453  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:46 AM
Rudolph Hart

here's another upside down one,new camera is my only excuse is my only excuse

Name:	20160612_153743.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2167454  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Upsi-Daisy

I'll fix that for you OF,

Name:	Airplane Ducati.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2167457  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hey thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 05:20 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps try posting when your sober !! Thats a nice looking plane , Its a bit of a shame that the canopy looks a little funky unless thats just your cheap ass camera doing tricks again . ( I like giving a compliment with one hand while slapping u in the back of the head with another ) . Guess where I learnt that ? Cheers the pope
Old 06-12-2016, 05:54 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

OOOh OF, came over to the Dark Side with an FG? I was at the annual SIG Flyin this weekend, and was flying my T-Clips with the FG-11 in it. I was up about 20 minutes, while other planes, at least 6, went up and came back down, out of fuel or battery. I finally landed, and two guys look over and said, didn't think you were ever going to land, and I said I was getting tired, could stay up another 40 minutes if I wanted to. Another guy asked, how big a tank that thing have? He was shocked when I said 12 ounces. Even more when I said I still have over half a tank of fuel left.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yes the fg's fly forever on bugger all but they lack the raw and unpredictable bark of a saito nitro single,and the odd prop hunting mission.This fg57 has excess hp for the plane if it does'nt feel and sound raw enough i'll find an old 300 nitro twin same engine mount,that would sound and look good too.Was running in a 115 once that pulled itself out of a bench mount at full throttle and did an unauthorised test flight in the workshop.Luckily i'd just bent over to get another beer out of the bar fridge.

ps damn right popey hows the drug problem going?

Dave you don't start splainin soon i'm taking possession of your grandfather clock on the bet and will charge you the freight costs to send it downunder friend...you're right tho,would be more fun to sit down and have a bench racing session.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:44 AM
Hobbsy

I'm in trouble Pete, I don't seem to be splainable, I even corrupt little girls into being Harley fans. She's a Saito fan also, no vest yet for Saito's.

Name:	HPIM0922.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2167657  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, the FG's are quiet little buggers, which is good at times, I was able to fly it with the electrics, which made more noise. Had lots of guys asking what I had in the T-Clips and were surprised when I said a 4 stroke gas Saito, think I have one of them now on the look for an FG-14 for his plane. If you ever decide you dont want that FG, you can always send it my way, I can find a home for it.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm in trouble Pete, I don't seem to be splainable, I even corrupt little girls into being Harley fans. She's a Saito fan also, no vest yet for Saito's.
Buy her an Indian that will ween her of Harleys. ;-) For Saitos there is no need of a cure she should be encouraged often!

On the subject of clocks I have repaired a nuimber of old anniversary clocks for fun with good results. I have a turn of the century American made Cuckoo clock with an Austrian movement that totally ate my lunch. I have it in a clock shop and it has befuddled two different master clock repairmen so I don't feel so bad. My son has a old JC Penney Grandfather clock with a Chinese movement. The movement is total junk they don't even import it anymore. We have decided to install a good quality quartz movement and a pendulum driver to get it working again. The clock sold for about $100 new so the case isn't the greatest so we decided against a mechanical movement. I found Timesavers to be a good source for reasonably priced parts. Their website stinks but their printed catalog is quite useful.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-13-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Speaking of Saito engines I saw a used older 150 this weekend I can get for about $75 to $85, the hold back someone unqualified has taken it a part. The back cover gasket is thin cardboard and the exhaust pipe and carb are in each other's port into the cylinder. It was dirty but I didn't care about that, it did turn over and had compression. I was tempted but I'm not working and didn't want to spend the money on a "maybe" engine. Would you take a chance on something like this?

Here is what it looked like new:

He had an unassembled O.S.Graupner Wankel rotary too.
OK I got an interesting email today, the guy running the estate sale offered to let me have both engines the Saito 150 mentioned above and the box of parts allegedly to be an OS/Graupner Wankel! I get to keep the Wankel and if I can fix the Saito we can negotiate a price with the estate owner. If I can't fix them I pitch them with nothing owed. I don't have to tell you guys what I answered.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 PM
FNQFLYER

Hopefully this all works. A previous Prime Minister here in Oz had this brilliant idea to give the peons "fast internet", all worked out on the back of a beer coaster. Well I had my perfectly good ADSL system taken away and this system was inflicted on me. Simple to install, took 3 hours and lots of chatter with "tech experts" in the Phillipines. After connecting I was told it would "not be stable" for at least 24hrs and my entire wifi system in the house, printers, internet connection to other computers in the house is "stuffed". Hopefully this bit is working and I can waste heaps of time on the other stuff. Fixing errant Saito is dead easy after all of this.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 PM
the pope

Boy some people are hard to please ! I have yet to get mine and like u dont want it as what ive got now is perfectly ok . My mammie had it installed and its like 2x suitcases bolted to the wall . W.T.f. in a couple of yrs theyll probably be the size of a fag packet and i dont mean the Elton John type fag packet ,
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 PM
blw

Dave- that's pretty good on airconditioners for the time in service. My S2000 has a massive a/c and heater considering it's a 2 seater, so we usually are out in the winter with the top down and the heater blasting away. Feels really good. Same for summer too with the a/c. I guess the designers knew what drivers would be doing with the car.

Pete- your world sure looks different than most other folks by the looks of your camera shots. I've got to admit I'm beginning to like the upsidedown look better myself. Don't let the Pope rag you too much about your canopy. Maybe he has an ARF to show us how his looks.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by blw

Pete- your world sure looks different than most other folks by the looks of your camera shots. I've got to admit I'm beginning to like the upsidedown look better myself. Don't let the Pope rag you too much about your canopy. Maybe he has an ARF to show us how his looks.
Hi there blw , I didnt just stir him about his cheap ass canopy but his camera as well . He forgot to get the downunder version plus he's always drinking so were lucky we got a pic at all . O.F. the drug problem other than not getting enough is going just fine thanks very much , are you still on home detention ? Cheers the pope
Old 06-14-2016, 02:48 AM
Rudolph Hart

I'll send you a great ducati vid thats big on sound hell even an indian..

Popey if this clock conversation gets any longer i'm going to start talkin firearms so git yur act together yew southerner

Good luck with the 150 okc

Barry i'll see if i can figure out whats going on otherwise it's just as well people can get used to looking at 'down under' pics.That's a real good suggestion about popey putting up some pics has he ever done that? hope he does'nt post a selfie as well,that would be too much.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 06-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I pick up the Saito 150 and Wankel this weekend.

On cars I had a Triumph TR3A the air conditioning was removing the side curtains and putting the top down. It had a heater, or claim to, You opened a valve in the engine department seasonally and whe the fan blowing full blast you still couldn't prove it had a heater. The heater must have been provided by Lucas! Still it was the most fun I ever had with a car!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:29 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My hi school buddy had a tr3. His dad owned a heavy diesel repair shop. So the skills where there to not exactly leave the car stock.
We lived 5-7 miles from the coastal range (in the CA vally). We were always running in the hills. Found a few that had a high crest with straight approaches bothe sides. Favorite sport. Seeing how much air you could grab. It was a lot with the TR3. Did ya know the brakes and steering do not work when you are flying? We once met a car doing the same thing from the opposite side of the hill. They were still attached to the ground and swerved out into the orchard. Somehow missing all the trees, but doing a bang up job of getting stuck. We eventually got them out with the help of some potential low altitude aviators. After that we would go low altitude flying as a three some. Posted a safety at the top of the hill.

Ken
Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM
FNQFLYER

Guys, it looks like my basic nbn crap net is working. Big problem though the house phone is hooked up through the router, if it has problems no house phone but there are always things that come along to brighten the day. As most of you know I fly Old Timer a/c, well mostly, but to remove / let out some frustration I took on flying a jet the other day. It was offered to me by one of the "guys" with an ego bigger than the field. I managed to burn out the tank with no real incidents. Said "guy" then asked for some instruction on flying a duration model he had acquired somewhere. I tested the a/c it had a bit of go but nothing great, so I showed our guy the best approach for a newbie, which was promptly ignored after all how hard are these models to fly. WE launched him model did a perfect figure of 9 just missed him fortunately and apart from a re kitted playboy (I think) and a very bruised ego we have one less person casting scorn on our section of the hobby. Now the problem is where do I get the money to buy on of those suck blow tin cans.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:24 PM
blw

That sounds like a grand day, Trev. From OT to jets.

Pete, send me a copy of that video too as you have made me a Ducati fan.

My dad had a TR3 back around 1960 or earlier. I remember where we lived and it's easy to be close on the dates. White, of course. Hood up a lot. That's the bonnet to the down under crowd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.