Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
RH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried, without success, to get a good photo of the LSN on the FA-72 that I asked about. However, the top of the LSN is slightly less than 1/16" deeper than the inside edge of the bevel. And that's with the needle bottomed out. At that setting the engine still runs. This prompted me to dig into the carb function some more. I haven't bothered to explore the mechanics of these carbs in the past so this has given me the opportunity. And this leads me to even more questions that I'm hoping some of you can share your opinions.
I pulled out two old cards from my boxes. They are either from 82s or 91s. From the part numbers listed online it looks like they may be the same carb, spray bar, and needles for both models. Can any one confirm that?

On one of them, the LSN protrudes quite a bit further out from the other when screwed all the way in. As a result, the LSN doesn't cover as much of the slot in the spray bar. There is a considerable difference so in my mind that simply reinforces the comments that say that there are not specific needle settings and that each engine needs to be tuned independently. Has anyone experienced this much disparity in how far in the LSN will go?

These photos were taken with the throttle open, so the opening in the spray bar will obviously decrease, and possibly close altogether when the throttle is closed. I'm wondering if this could be a factor in the FA-72. Comments?
One more... Has anyone ever experienced the threads for the LSN getting gummed up with old fuel to the point that it won't screw all the way in? Didn't think of this when I was at the shop. When it stops snowing and the plows come through I'll see if a good cleaning will fix the different.

Rick...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_154524.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2195858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_152855.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2195859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_152519.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2195860  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

RH, every now and then someone will come in here and say that their HS needle is ineffective, in not being able to richen the top rpm downward. That could very well be the case with the bottom right picture. It looks that engine would quit at about half throttle wnen coming down from full throttle. The settings are not all the same from engine to engine but that is pretty far in from the norm. IE, this carb is from a 2.20 Saito that would idle at about 1,600 rpm. WOOPS, WRONG PICTURE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito FA .40 ring 009 (Small).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2195894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 2.20 carb 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2195895  
Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
RH

I have a Saito 82 that I rebuilt that doesn't have a plane to go on at the moment. I think I'll put it on my test stand and rotate the other two carbs on it to see what it takes to tune it between the two.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick it's times like these you need a well trained dog like saito here.. for two shots of jacks and a handful of ice cubes in his water bowl he'll dig a hole,bury a 125 then squat over the hole and take a dump.Mind you he's well trained
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 AM
RH

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Rick it's times like these you need a well trained dog like saito here.. for two shots of jacks and a handful of ice cubes in his water bowl he'll dig a hole,bury a 125 then squat over the hole and take a dump.Mind you he's well trained
Old Fart...

I do have one old Saito that never has wanted to cooperate. Can I send it to you and have your 'Saito' properly dispose of it. I pay well.

Rick...
Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Send it north a couple of hundred miles, I'll make good use of it. No such thing as an unusable Saito.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rh
send it to me i will fix it and send it back
Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll fix it and use it!

Man, slim pickins at the yearly swap meet this year. There were several Saitos about, but nothing I could either afford or use. I am look for a 62 size in particular for my T-Clips, and could find nothing. I did spot a brand new 72, but it got snagged before I could get to it. There were a few in planes, ranging from about 30 to 125, no 180's though, which is the other size I am looking at. There was a brand new FA-80 in a box too, but out of my price, nor would I be able to use it. I have way too many planes as it is( I know, you can NEVER have too many planes!), so I didn't consider any of those that were already engined, unless they had exactly what I needed, and my friend grabbed this ugly black thing for $30. Had a dirty OS 70 in it, but had brand new servos and an RX that will work with his radio. Guess he got a good deal on it.

One guy had a new OS 52 and was asking $200 for it, I paid $80 for mine with just 4 tanks of fuel through it. I went to this one in particular looking for BSI glue and for batteries. Every time I came to this one, there were a couple vendors selling both, and today, none were there.

There is another SM on Feb 4 that I usually attend, so hopefully I can find some goodies there, but I noticed a down trend the past few years, the pickins are slim for Glow, kits, and plans. I see a lot of drone crap, and electric stuff now, but mostly things that came from arf or are arf.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Acdii
the last swap meet i attended it was the same way. If i had it was worth.50 cents and someone else had it was worth $50. Even ebay has a lot of people selling glow to go electric. And hear of a lot of clubs switching to electric. And kits are getting rare unless you love sig like i do.
Is it just people are not talking time for them selfs or is the and enthusiasm towards our Hobby or flying with out the Aid of some sort of electronic device like drones becoming a thing of the past.
And the use of The internal combustion engine is like voodoo to most people anymore. At lest all i hear is its to loud, to messy and too hard to take care of.
I guess we live in a plug and play Society.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM
acdii

Last sentence nails it. Why work for it when you can get it already done for you. I know that I could never get even close to retail on brand new still in the box Magnum 91 or a Something Extra still in its shipping box.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Pete, over here tramp stamps are the lower back tats on women.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by blw
Pete, over here tramp stamps are the lower back tats on women.
Hi there blw , I wouldnt go explaining any thing to O.F. He thinks tramp stamps were " back in the day " when he would go to the social security office and get food vouchers ! He would trade them in for moonshine and saito 125 engines .
Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by RH
Old Fart...

I do have one old Saito that never has wanted to cooperate. Can I send it to you and have your 'Saito' properly dispose of it. I pay well.

Rick...
Deal

Popey you know barry will use me to light a bushfire under your six at any cost and he's not doing me any favours either.Just found out what tramp stamps really mean..is this why the ex handbrake got 'billy bob' tattoed on her chin? i mean who'd be stupid enough to call himself two first names when one will do? and back in the 60/70's those food vouchers were called 'tickets' take one before watching janice joplin sing 'oh lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz' nothin bad about that
Old 01-09-2017, 03:07 PM
the pope

I was once told never trust a man with a girls name . Another was dont bend down to pick up the soap when Old Farts around . I try to live by those little pearls of wisdom .
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
acdii

Keep them coming ad maybe you can make a pearl necklace.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Well, my feelings are officially hurt by those comments Pete. Especially since you have never sicced a moderator on to our fine friend, Mr. Pope when he is having one of his spells. But, I see you are chummy with him again and sticking together right now.

It's a good thing I'm not a vengeful person because a rogue moderator could make subtle changes to your messages just enough to get a lynch mob worked up. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

On a more serious note- can a couple of people send in their prices for a gallon of Omega 15%? I haven't had to buy fuel in a long time and the days approaching where I'll have to again. I don't trust the LHS prices much and comparison prices would be good to know.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You know I haven't bought fuel in so long I'm afraid to look now days. I think back before the holidays at my LHS it was in the $20 to $25 range.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM
acdii

Don't know about Omega, but Wildcat 15% 2&4 is $18 a gallon in Rockford.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by blw
Well, my feelings are officially hurt by those comments Pete. Especially since you have never sicced a moderator on to our fine friend, Mr. Pope when he is having one of his spells. But, I see you are chummy with him again and sticking together right now.

It's a good thing I'm not a vengeful person because a rogue moderator could make subtle changes to your messages just enough to get a lynch mob worked up. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

On a more serious note- can a couple of people send in their prices for a gallon of Omega 15%? I haven't had to buy fuel in a long time and the days approaching where I'll have to again. I don't trust the LHS prices much and comparison prices would be good to know.
Hey the voices are starting to return now where are my meds ? AS a moderator ( I would make a good one by the way ) u should know how inappropriate it is to stray off topic , and to talk about fuel prices is just way out of line . The only thing that ever really sends the pope's head in a spin is guns and when one peanut shows a pic of a majestic deer and then proceeds to tell with pride how he dropped it on the spot with a shot through the spine well the pope's gonna blow a gasket . Everything else that comes from the pope is just baloney and I say that with much pride !
Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
Hey the voices are starting to return now where are my meds ? AS a moderator ( I would make a good one by the way ) u should know how inappropriate it is to stray off topic , and to talk about fuel prices is just way out of line . The only thing that ever really sends the pope's head in a spin is guns and when one peanut shows a pic of a majestic deer and then proceeds to tell with pride how he dropped it on the spot with a shot through the spine well the pope's gonna blow a gasket . Everything else that comes from the pope is just baloney and I say that with much pride !
Those guys who brag about one shot are probably the same ones who would do an ARF or a kit build and tell you how it was perfectly balanced without lead and flew flawlessly on the maiden flight. Those guys need to go back where they belong like in politics or used car sales!

Would that be regular baloney or garlic baloney?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM
the pope

Hey , baloney is baloney especially when its coming out of the mouth and not going in !
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
acdii

I usually take a deer down with a full mag. Never know if it was the first, the last, or one in the middle that did it. My Something Extra is balanced with zero lead, and thats an arf.

;P
Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
I usually take a deer down with a full mag. Never know if it was the first, the last, or one in the middle that did it. My Something Extra is balanced with zero lead, and thats an arf.

;P
Do you write model review too? ;-)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM
acdii

I do, but not on a forum like this, it would get me banned...for life.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM
RH

I truly appreciate all the generous offers to help me find a new home for that troublesome Saito. If you saw my shop you would realize that 'unusable' is not in my dictionary. I just can't bear to dispose of anything these days even though I'm an 'old fart' (no offense ). Who knows when I might find a use for it. Let's just say it is 'temporarily out of service'. Besides, what better project for these cold, snowy days in the mountains but to be tinkering with a temperamental Saito in my toasty warm shop. The shoveling can wait.

Rick...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.