triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why YES , IT IS . . . . . Andy Griffith ! ! ! Good looking F4U Andy
Old 12-25-2018, 08:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

And (not to get off topic) I was the arena PA announcer for the Jacksonville Barracuda's hockey team, that's where the screen name came from.

Here's the flight shot
Old 12-25-2018, 10:16 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

wow that's nice !!, it looks like it's first flight, and not yet been shot at

Jim
Saito engines: a man's machine
Old 12-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for sharing andy it's a beautiful aeroplane,but more than that it's beautifully shot (steady jim) i would'nt go anywhere near that good with a phone camera and assume it was done professionally.Hope you all had a mint christmas day,since we are ahead of you guys time wise i've just had a great boxing day party but the santa suit is looking a bit saggy.Never mind,i've got till the 14th of jan to recover.Best wishes all
Old 12-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Are you allowed to have that handle?

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Saito, Saito,Saito, . . . . wonder how many responses this will get
I like the handle!

Hey Jim, I had to hold off on the SAITO 90 twin as I was waiting for a response from a local who had recently expressed an interest. Turns out, he still wanted it. However, you could be the big winner as I also have a spare FA-130TD, actually a far more desirable engine IMHO. This is the rarer, ABC version , Un-run in the box. I will sell it to you only for well under the going rate .

Reply VIA email as this is my last post at RCU
Please excuse the non Saito photo content.
Perhaps we should be talking hockey or milk trucks.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ooh thats purdy
Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

What, huh?! There is something in the picture besides a Saito win?! I didn't see anything!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:07 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Gary, I understand about you selling the 90 to some one else, that's all cool, first comes first, as for the 130, I would like it but is too big for me, it seams acdii likes it a lot LOL

thanks

Jim
Old 12-28-2018, 12:46 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps a moderator would tell us how many people regularly view these posts,i see regular comments from half a dozen people but there may be many more who just view and are helped by your knowledge gary.I won't insult you and say think about it as i'm sure you already have.Bear with me for a sec please.I like flying a good sounding saito fourstroke no matter what size,and hearing it go past,it's a reward for the time it took to fit that saito in an aeroplane you like.Your long post on your mechanical history although it mostly involved motorcycle engines gave me a sense of your experience and a willingness to listen to your opinion,saito engines ARE fourstrokes,i think it's a valid tell to others of your past experience...slap me if i'm wrong!!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:03 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Gary, I understand about you selling the 90 to some one else, that's all cool, first comes first, as for the 130, I would like it but is too big for me, it seams acdii likes it a lot LOL

thanks

Jim
Jim, I have a freshly rebuilt 90-T with new bearings, new lifters and a new pump, I waited 3 months for the pump parts. If you happen to have 100-T, we could swap.

Almost fully disassembled.

New pump parts

Velocity stack, properly flaired.

All done.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Jesse Open

Making an exception here for Jim's sake. I have a brand new 100T ABC with all the goodies. Factory fresh. Email sometime soon if you want it.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Scored crank pin and big end

Hey folks, need some guidance on my Saito 82a. I picked up this used low hour engine and tore it down to take a look and the big end of the rod and crank pin have scoring, probably from a lean run with no castor or very little castor. I'm thinking about using some emory cloth to clean up the crank pin but I have no idea what the max clearance can be and still provide a serviceable life. The rod big end has worn through the factory red compound, whatever this is, on the top and bottom of the journal and shows minute scoring as well. Right now there is almost no discernable slop between the crank pin and rod so I'm assuming the factory clearances were very tight. I will buy a new rod but would like to salvage the crank if possible. Can I take a thousandth or two off the crank pin to clean things up?

On another note, can the valves be lightly lapped with polishing compound on this engine? I have an intake valve leak even though everything looks great, very clean. No debris on the valve stem or guide, no binding or sticking and the valve spins against the seat by hand with no discernable catches. The valve grind looks smooth under magnification but I have no way to view the valve seat in the cylinder up close. The valves will hold a cylinder full of alcohol overnight but I can hear it hiss air past the valve on the compression stroke. What do you all think?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 12-28-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn, you guys are making me drool! I can't afford to buy any more engines at the moment, but damn if those aren't some pretty twins. That 100 would be sweet on my Cub.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
On another note, can the valves be lightly lapped with polishing compound on this engine? I have an intake valve leak even though everything looks great, very clean. No debris on the valve stem or guide, no binding or sticking and the valve spins against the seat by hand with no discernable catches. The valve grind looks smooth under magnification but I have no way to view the valve seat in the cylinder up close. The valves will hold a cylinder full of alcohol overnight but I can hear it hiss air past the valve on the compression stroke. What do you all think?
I have a Saito 100 with the same problem. The intake valve leaks. Haven’t had time to tear mine down yet but my plan is to check valve clearances first then lap the valve with toothpaste if needed.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Quikturn

I have a Saito 100 with the same problem. The intake valve leaks. Haven’t had time to tear mine down yet but my plan is to check valve clearances first then lap the valve with toothpaste if needed.

It is my understanding that the 82 does not have hardened valve seats pressed in, rather the seat profile is just machined into the aluminum and chrome plated along with the rest of the cylinder bore. I've read somewhere that toothpaste may be too abrasive and cut through the chrome plating rendering the valve seat/cylinder useless. That's why I asked about using polishing compound. Good luck with your 100, post your results if you have time.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Making an exception here for Jim's sake. I have a brand new 100T ABC with all the goodies. Factory fresh. Email sometime soon if you want it.

I would like to trade up to the 100-T but can't do it out from under Jim. Thanks
Old 12-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Hobbsy

A pencil eraser is about as rough as you should get, they do a great job.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 12-28-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Thanks Hobbsy, any idea on the crank pin to rod clearance question I posted earlier?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know.

Thanks!

In the past, I used toothpaste to lap the valves on a Magnum 52 with poor compression. It helped a lot and the engine ran great afterwards.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Jesse Open

I use Simichrome metal polish with excellent results.
I could also suggest diamond lapping compound but it takes special care to avoid removing too much metal.
Very often however, the seat is not the problem but the valve itself needs to be replaced. Best to try a new valve before resorting to lapping.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Jesse Open

I could also suggest diamond lapping compound but it takes special care to avoid removing too much metal.
Very often however, the seat is not the problem but the valve itself needs to be replaced. Best to try a new valve before resorting to lapping.

Regarding the rod bearing fit:
Never attempt to lap soft materials like aluminum or bronze againt a hard pin. The abrasives embed and cause wear forever! Honing, broaching, reaming or single point boring are the better methods, depending on the material involved and the amount of metal to remove.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Hey folks, need some guidance on my Saito 82a. I picked up this used low hour engine and tore it down to take a look and the big end of the rod and crank pin have scoring, probably from a lean run with no castor or very little castor. I'm thinking about using some emory cloth to clean up the crank pin but I have no idea what the max clearance can be and still provide a serviceable life. The rod big end has worn through the factory red compound, whatever this is, on the top and bottom of the journal and shows minute scoring as well. Right now there is almost no discernable slop between the crank pin and rod so I'm assuming the factory clearances were very tight. I will buy a new rod but would like to salvage the crank if possible. Can I take a thousandth or two off the crank pin to clean things up?

No need to touch the rod or the crank, the clearance will stay the same for nearly forever, if you loosen the clearance it will then hammer itself looser.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

Regarding the rod bearing fit:
Never attempt to lap soft materials like aluminum or bronze againt a hard pin. The abrasives embed and cause wear forever! Honing, broaching, reaming or single point boring are the better methods, depending on the material involved and the amount of metal to remove.
Thanks, I'll try replacing the valve first. I understand what you said about lapping soft metals against hard ones, not good. I intend to replace the rod anyway.

I was thinking of maybe wet sanding the crank pin with progressive grits of emory cloth, down to 600 grit using the shoe shine method. It looks like I'll need to take around .002-.003" off the pin to remove the scoring. I have a micrometer to measure as I go but I don't want to waste a bunch of time on it if someone here says the clearance must be tighter than say .004". What can I say, I like to fiddle and fix versus buying new.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Glowgeek

No need to touch the rod or the crank, the clearance will stay the same for nearly forever, if you loosen the clearance it will then hammer itself looser.

???? Errrr uuuugh. Just run it with scored parts Hobbsy?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Hobbsy

Can you feel the scoring or just see it, Thanks. Do you have a picture? That would help a bunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.