Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 PM
warrenmiller11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120r3 problem

i have one cylinder not making compression and last time it ran it was spitting a lot of unburnt fuel. does it mean i need to replace a cylinder or a piston??. lost a bit of power too last time i ran it. it was ok the first 4-5 flights but then no compression on of the three cylinders buf the other two are fine. also is the cylinder or piston interchangeable with an fa40 or completly different thing??
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,a nice shot of your 120 radial with flex exhausts.A shot of my 200r3 with a keleo ring exhaust,do you use them? ps the beer can is for scale

Have you pulled the rocker covers to check that a pushrod has'nt slipped out of the rocker cup on one of the bottom cylinders? saito triples take a lot of running before the lower left cylinder (looking from the front) will stay lit for an extended time at idle or low rpm.Adding five to seven percent pump gas to your fuel mix mostly cures that.

Jim i've flown the cmpro midget mustang with many different pitch props but i like the 15x8 because it's still really slippery and quick plus i get a sonic boom sometimes off the prop tips,the boys love it.Re your fa82 in the shoestring,are you saying you want to see 11800 on the ground?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 AM
warrenmiller11

yeah i removed rocket cover everything is nice n tight were it belongs in the cup
Old 01-01-2019, 02:15 AM
Rudolph Hart

Got your problem solved then,your not running 3% castor in your fuel are you?? just kidding mate.The more information you give to people here about your experience with saito's and what you've done so far to fix the problem.Your thoughts on what else you think may be wrong and what you did on xmas day if you have time
Old 01-01-2019, 02:53 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
your not running 3% castor in your fuel are you??
Hey, I resemble that remark! Hahaaa

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Your thoughts on what else you think may be wrong and what you did on xmas day if you have time
Christmas day? Went through some flight training routines with my Gson and his Apprentice S 15e, that is until it started porpoising coming out of a loop and broke the fuselage in half. She nosed in hard but those planes are tough. Broke the motor mount, shredded the cowl and broke a plastic clevis. A little glue and total cost for parts was $25.00. The smile on his face is worth every penny.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Pete, I am shooting to get the Keleo ring this month, so I'll report as it happens.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by warrenmiller11
i have one cylinder not making compression and last time it ran it was spitting a lot of unburnt fuel. does it mean i need to replace a cylinder or a piston??. lost a bit of power too last time i ran it. it was ok the first 4-5 flights but then no compression on of the three cylinders buf the other two are fine. also is the cylinder or piston interchangeable with an fa40 or completly different thing??
Warren the 120 triple has a shorter stroke than the FA 40-a so the bore is larger on the 120. I'll look it up and make sure though.

Saito 120 R-3 Bore===.9"/22 mm Stroke===.6"/16.2 mm

Saito FA 40-a Bore===.86"/22 mm Stroke===.68"/17.4 mm

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-01-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:58 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Thanks Pete, I am shooting to get the Keleo ring this month, so I'll report as it happens.
Pete, Dave, does the Keleo ring work like a header and help with exhaust scavaging? Increase power output?
Old 01-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Hobbsy

Probably not tuned exhaust wise but more free flowing than the crinkle pipes. That's just a guess though.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:19 AM
warrenmiller11

cool thanx for the cylinder infos. chrismas day i ate turkey and watched tv. so i dissambled the back cover witn engine mount nothing seemed broken or loose but still no compression in one of the cylinders. suspecting a bent valve or somethin like that but have to dig deeper.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 AM
warrenmiller11

i also run a sullivan inboard triple glow igniter with 14x7 3 blade i get 9700 on the ground for 12 pound top flite corsair.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Recheck the valve clearances, you said tight, they should have some slop to them. push on the valves to make sure they are not sticking either. Blow compressed air into the intake and exhaust as well to see if a valve is open. Do this before tearing into the engine.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy New Year to all!

Fairytail ending with my Saito 100. I stuck a flathead screwdriver between spring coils on the intake valve and got it unstuck. Not sure why it got stuck in the first place but I oiled it and is working fine now. Compression is back! Compression is not perfect but very good.

One thing I noticed is how different the valve adjustments are. I thought that may explain why the valve got stuck but I checked and set the proper clearance. Has anyone else noticed such a difference in valve adjustments?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Re your fa82 in the shoestring,are you saying you want to see 11800 on the ground?
Pete, no, not at all (I just did the numbers again on the calculator), for the 82a to produce the "same" speed (89mph) as the OS did at 11800, the 82a will have to turn an APC 12X10 at 9500, and in the review Dave posted (see link below) the 82a will only do 8900 with the 12X10, that is 5mph less (84mph),

yet I think it may do it with the slightly larger FA100 Carb and Intake.
I think it will be worth the try , if it doesn't work then all I need to buy is a new Intake for my FA100, if it does work I will have to buy a new Carb and new Intake, like I said, I think it's worth a try, it will be fun

EDIT; if I can get the 82a to turn the 12X10 at 10500 that will get me 10mph faster than with the OS, at 99mph

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...76727d3abf.jpg

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 01-01-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:42 PM
the Wasp

oops,
Happy New Year my friends, Happy New Year, I hope you all have a very good year, I hope good things for all of you !!!

Jim
Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Quikturn

Happy New Year to all!

Fairytail ending with my Saito 100. I stuck a flathead screwdriver between spring coils on the intake valve and got it unstuck. Not sure why it got stuck in the first place but I oiled it and is working fine now. Compression is back! Compression is not perfect but very good.

One thing I noticed is how different the valve adjustments are. I thought that may explain why the valve got stuck but I checked and set the proper clearance. Has anyone else noticed such a difference in valve adjustments?
Either you have two different length pushrods or the piston is not at TDC
Old 01-01-2019, 02:40 PM
warrenmiller11

happy new year everyone, so i opened my engine and no valves were stuck i cleaned everything oiled it up put it back together with the clearence check and still no compression. when the other two cylinder compress air the bad one actually sucks air in? could it be timing?
Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Glowgeek

Default 82 Update

Happy New Year To All, i hope it's a good one fer ya!

As promised I lobbed all the parts back into the 82 and fired it up. Omega 15%, 65°f, apc 14x6 and it peaked at 9750 rpm after a 20min re-break in BUT it wouldn't hold that rpm for more than a few seconds. Coming from idle to peak it was very quick and each time it would peak the same but after three seconds or so it would slowly drop rpm back down to 9200, then all of a sudden it dropped down to 8500 for a second. Whoa, better shut it down to idle I thought. So I'm standing there scratching my head while it's idling and screeeeech. I shut it down instantly and tore it down. The bearings which had felt so smooth and quiet before now sounded dry. I removed the bearings and bearing seals and sure enough they are as dry as a popcorn fart. The 2RS front bearing had no grease left in it and the shielded rear bearing (front and rear shielded) was covered inside with a super fine rust powder. The balls and races in both bearings are matt finish in appearance and covered with scratches. Man, I can't win with this darned 82. Adding bearings to my new parts list.

On the positive side, the reworked crank pin looks great after the run and the intake valve doesn't leak at all. In addition neither bearing spun in the case so I should count that as a blessing too, seeing as the case is discontinued.

Are we having fun yet?

Lonnie

Last edited by Glowgeek; 01-01-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Glowgeek

Maybe the picture was just taken with the engine on the intake stroke? I hope so.

Edit: Nevermind , I see it now. Yikes!

Last edited by Glowgeek; 01-01-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Quikturn

I rechecked TDC and took another shot. The rocker arms look fairly even but the adjustment screw & nut are off. If this is no good then the next step would be to check the push rods, tappets and cam.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:12 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Glowgeek

As promised I lobbed all the parts back into the 82 and fired it up. Omega 15%, 65°f, apc 14x6 and it peaked at 9750 rpm after a 20min re-break in BUT it wouldn't hold that rpm for more than a few seconds. Coming from idle to peak it was very quick and each time it would peak the same but after three seconds or so it would slowly drop rpm back down to 9200, then all of a sudden it dropped down to 8500 for a second. Whoa, better shut it down to idle I thought. So I'm standing there scratching my head while it's idling and screeeeech. I shut it down instantly and tore it down. The bearings which had felt so smooth and quiet before now sounded dry. I removed the bearings and bearing seals and sure enough they are as dry as a popcorn fart. The 2RS front bearing had no grease left in it and the shielded rear bearing (front and rear shielded) was covered inside with a super fine rust powder. The balls and races in both bearings are matt finish in appearance and covered with scratches. Man, I can't win with this darned 82. Adding bearings to my new parts list.

On the positive side, the reworked crank pin looks great after the run and the intake valve doesn't leak at all. In addition neither bearing spun in the case so I should count that as a blessing too, seeing as the case is discontinued.
Are we having fun yet?
Lonnie
you had the wrong bearings in it !! the rear bearing should not have any shields (none), and the front should only have a shield on the outside, you better check your Cam and Tappets too

Jim
Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Quikturn

Originally Posted by Glowgeek

Are we having fun yet?

Lonnie
Wow!

When I replaced the bearings in my 65 the rear bearing was super tight. It took a lot of heat to get that out and a be one back in.

Good of luck with yours.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Rudolph Hart

A better look at the keleo exhaust ring on my fa200r3 somebody asked if it helped cylinder scavenging.Two of the headers actually face each other on the ring itself so i doubt it.As dave is fond of saying i did'nt notice any diff in top end rpm.They are very well made out of soft ally and sound better than the flexi exhaust that i use on the fa115 in the mustang.

Freeze the new bearings the night before quicky and they just about drop in on their own.

Lonnie as jim says the rear bearing comes unsealed but the front bearing is fully sealed for life.I never remove the inner red seal of the front bearing,it just lets the crankcase crud in and washes that good quality factory grease out.

Jim does this calculator you use allow for the amount of rpm increase when the prop unloads a bit in flight? ie is it based on inflight data from an eagletree unit or similar onboard measuring unit.If so did they measure the difference in max ground rpm and inflight rpm in draggy and slippery airframes,just wondering because that would make a huge difference in how rich you are prepared to tune on the ground for an added top speed advantage because your engine won't run lean so quick.Confused yet?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Rudolph Hart

ps i'm not that hot at gardening either,the rake on top of the cupboard is for the odd snake you get on the back lawn
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 AM
Hobbsy

I see that the intake adjuster has about 3 threads below the rocker and the exhaust adjuster has 1 or less. It appears that the intake pushrod tube is bowed and has been whacked near the top, might be a figment of my mind though. If the intake pushrod is bowed also, that would explain the difference between the two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.