Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hi folks
Any one have a line on whereabouts of NOS parts for Saitos Horizon Hobby sales think don't exist?
( Lot like current Harley D parts counters);hehe.
Need a few small things for two 150s I just put bearings in.
What do you need? I have a LOT of parts for the big Saito singles on hand. Pretty popular around here.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep I agree i am just saying my lazy approach to engine care has been my ticket for a long time. Most of the engine’s i have repaired. Have been ones that they run a couple times stuck them in the corner and then sell on eBay because there all stopped up.
I always say there is no go to method. If it works for you then stick with it.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
What do you need? I have a LOT of parts for the big Saito singles on hand. Pretty popular around here.
Thanks Jesse
Right now just a couple gasket sets and carb rebuild kits for a GN and a std 150.
More of a general question at this point for reference going forward.
​​​​​​
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Yep I agree i am just saying my lazy approach to engine care has been my ticket for a long time. Most of the engine’s i have repaired. Have been ones that they run a couple times stuck them in the corner and then sell on eBay because there all stopped up.
Pretty much what I have experienced also. Thanks for chiming in👍
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 AM
Jesse Open

Well with what has been said. I must be the luckiest Saito owner in history. I run straight synthetic in all my Saito four stroke’s and have experience zero problem’s. I don’t even run afte run oil. But i have only been flying for 30 years so that might be why.
The same engine for thirty years?
How often do you fly? Which Saito engine and how many hours?

I did replace the bearings in my first Saito, an open rocker thirty many years ago .The rest is original. Also had some varnish problems in the early days. Made changes in several areas that have worked out well. Well enough that I continue to use them and often make those changes for others at their request.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Hyjinx

Never said the wear was immediately apparent.
Also been VERY clear that indeed you can use too much castor Proper engine clearing and after run oiling minimize the tendency to varnish. Avoiding lean runs from tachometer chasing that last 200 RPM helps too

I didn't knee jerk react to observations of varnish from too much castor as so many have done It is a matter of finding an effective balance.

After forty years with four strokes and plenty of raw evidence from all types of fuel, store bought and custom blended, I stay with the low dose castor program based on solid observation. Not limited to my own engines but several times that from other owners.

The gallon or two a month flyer may never realize the diffeernce but it is there.

Thanks
Appreciate a voice of experience. Priceless. I have enjoyed a long conversation with Mr Kelly of Merlin glow plugs ( highly recommended) on this subject also. Absolute wealth of experience.
Thanks for sharing yours!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Captcrunch44

Well i have two 56’s I bought for a twin
in the 90’s and at that time i flew about every day. The last couple years mot so much. I finally put them in that twin and adjusted the valves. The 91’s and 80’s not as much time. But I also find that i have enough engines now that none of them get slammed like they used too.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Jesse Open

I agree with that too.

I hear people all the time who claim not changing their car oil worked great for them too. Then again they sell the car with only 20,000 miles on the clock.Worked fine.
I would rather buy a car with 50,000 and good oil at the prescribed intervals regardless how well the other guy did at 20K . Apples and oranges.
The strawman thing that gets thrown in all too often. No need to bash a reasonable dose of castor based on observations from too much castor oil, improperly used
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Thanks
Appreciate a voice of experience. Priceless. I have enjoyed a long conversation with Mr Kelly of Merlin glow plugs ( highly recommended) on this subject also. Absolute wealth of experience.
Thanks for sharing yours!
I have talked with Mr Kelly often.(Glow plugs, colder plugs with OBG , etc) Missed him at the Toledo show last year. Hope he makes it this year.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Captcrunch44

Read a story the other day about a guy who instead on running 10/40 and the mechanic tryed to tell him that was not good for your engine. He got upset of course. When the car left it was clattering from to much viscosity.
I sold oil for awhile and man some people are definitely stuck in the past.
But yes if a little caster makes people happy then go for it.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Jesse Open

I have seen many flat tappet engines where the owners tried to use non ZDDP oil. The guy at the auto parts said it would be fine in many cases.
Of course, cam and lifter wear was excessive!
We didn't mind replacing the cam and lifters, and they didn't mind using modern oils containing old oil additive ZDDP.

Already discussed that, sorry

Extending the life of any engine makes me very happy.

A similar story to yours, but the other way round

"Is 5W-40 Motor Oil Now Suggested For EcoDiesel Engines?

August 4, 2016 By Marc Roden
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge-ram-ecodiesel-logo-300x199.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2263223(photo credit: trucktrend.com)

EcoDiesel engines are being switched from 5W-30 motor oil to 5W-40 and apparently there is a good mechanical reason for it.

Update August 2016: We now offer an aftermarket oil filter for the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel engine There’s an online commotion brewing regarding a technical service bulletin (TSB) released by Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) on July 20, 2016. The bulletin pertains to an engine oil upgrade from 5W-30 to 5W-40 for the 2016 Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee models with the EcoDiesel engine. This bulletin directs Chrysler-Jeep dealers to drain the factory-fill 5W-30 motor oil and replace it with 5W-40 motor oil. You can TSB-18-078-16%20Oil%20Spec%20Change%20%282%29.pdf.Addendum cards have also been shipped to dealers which are to be added to owner’s manuals. These cards recommend the use of synthetic 5W-40 engine oil that meets the FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and API CJ-4 specifications.Some Dodge dealers we spoke to seem to think that this recommendation applies only to 2016 EcoDiesel models. Based on the language in the bulletin, it’s easy to arrive at that conclusion. But there is more to this story.Why Is 5W-40 Now Recommended For The EcoDiesel Engine?

It took some digging, but we think we may have found the answer. We spoke to several Dodge dealers and also FCA Customer Care. Few had even heard of the engine oil changeover or they simply read back the bulletin. But a service manager at a Salt Lake City Dodge dealership had heard all about the reason for this oil switch from an FCA warranty official.Apparently the 3.0L EcoDiesel engine is experiencing an unsettling number of main bearing failures. FCA is laying the blame on the thin viscosity of 5W-30 engine oil. They believe that the thicker viscosity of 5W-40 engine oil will cure this issue. This service manager suggested that all model years will have a 5W-40 recommendation and that 5W-30 engine oil will be obsolete for the EcoDiesel engine."

https://www.oildepot.ca/5w-40-motor-...iesel-engines/

Last edited by Jesse Open; 01-15-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: https://www.oildepot.ca/5w-40-motor-oil-now-suggested-all-ecodiesel-engines/
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Captcrunch44

Yep
Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 AM
mirion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked with Mr Kelly often.(Glow plugs, colder plugs with OBG , etc) Missed him at the Toledo show last year. Hope he makes it this year.
If Al is the Mr. Kelly you reference I don't think he is going to be at the Weak Signals show

Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Jesse Open

Yep, that would be him, Aldon.
Sorry to learn of his passing at the young age of 78. He was always a must see at the Toledo RC Show. I was hoping last year that his absence was not due to health issues.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:43 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Of the 4 used saitos I've rebuilt they all had damaged cams and lifters. I assumed from the beginning that it was due to poor valve lash maintenance. Now I'm not so sure. With this latest used 82 having valve sticking problems I'm wondering if it could it have been the use of too much castor in the fuel. It's too late for me to tell if sticky valves contributed to the cam and lifter failures on the first three saitos because I tore them down and cooked them for 24hrs at 175°f in antifreeze. All of the castor varnish was removed before rebuilding those first three. This latest 82 though has been an eye opener.
I've always been afraid to run too little castor in any model engine and so I tend to err on the side of caution. Perhaps that's not a bad idea with 2 strokes but obviously not such a good thing with 4 stroke glow engines.
I think I'll add "Too much castor" to my list of things that can cause cam and lifter failures ie sticking valves. Not to mention sticking lifters that are gummed up and won't spin in their bores.
I think you all who have said to run a low percentage castor eg 2-3% are right on. No castor? I'm just not there yet.
Glowgeek; as I told in an older post, that these Cams are what are called a "High Ratio Rocker Cam" but these Saito Cams are a bit different, in short, the high ratio rocker cam has less lift that allows the cam to have a Broader Nose, the broader nose allows more fuel/air to be delivered as the cam round's the Tappets bottom, simple because the nose is wider,, and the higher ratio rocker produces more lift, yet also increases Duration a bit. and these cams having less lift also allow the cams to last longer.
now how are these Saito cams a bit different than a "High Ratio Rocker Cam" made for an oval racing Chevy, well these Saito cams do have more lift, and the Saito Tappets have a small diameter, so they both can wear at a faster rate, but more performance. so as Jesse points out, I can see that the thicker Castor will help reduce wear on Saitos cam and tappets,

a bit more info on the "High Ratio Rocker Cam", when one of these Cams are used in a Chevy small block, the diameters of Chevy's Lifter Boars must be enlarged so the larger diameter Ford and Dodge Lifters can be uses. and the larger the Lifter's Diameter is the broader the cam's Nose can be made. and these "Shaft type" High Ratio Rockers can have a ratio well over 2 to 1, while a Chevy SB after market Non-Shaft Roller Rocker only go up to somewhere around 1.75 to 1 or 1.80 to 1, a stock Chevy SB rocker is 1.5 to 1

I hope I have helped

as for me, if I ever have the chance to build the engine I want, it will be a 416 Chevy SB with a Dart Block, and forget the Roller Cam, I will have to have what I want, a High Ratio Rocker Solid Lifter Cam, I will not care if other cars are faster, there is always a bigger fish, and I will not care if the oil cost more, I am a fan of Flat Tappet Solid Lifter cams and the HRRC is the best of them.

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 01-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, that would be him, Aldon.
Sorry to learn of his passing at the young age of 78. He was always a must see at the Toledo RC Show. I was hoping last year that his absence was not due to health issues.
Well, Weak Signals is getting Weaker. I was there last year and the amount of vendors was way down, SIG wasn't even there. It was so bad that I decided it is no longer worth the trip. I usually spend $1000 or more going there, but the past two years have been pretty short on vendors. 2017 was the sign when Hobby People didn't show, then found out they went OOB. They eliminated three rows of vendor slots for drone flying. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes the way of the iHobby Expo.

There used to be an annual swap meet in Waukesha, a rather large one, and they moved it two years ago to the north side of Milwaukee, putting it too far away for me to attend. There are fewer and fewer swap meets, and those that I have attended recently have been pretty sparse, there were more commercial vendors selling cheap trash arf and drones than anything else.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Jesse Open

Every bit of that is spot- on. If not for the fact it is merely a 75 minute ride, I would have dropped out quite some time ago.

Still worthwhile to stock up on props from Lanyu and for many folks to get a good break on glow fuel.Used to be a good place to buy Klotz and nitromethane too. Have to see how that lays out this year.

Hard to lay the current state of the hobby on tha club, but disconcerting none the less

Probably make the trek again this year, Not sure why, habit I guess,
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I ordered the Keleo exhaust for the 120 R-3 today. and I went backwards and bought a K&B 45 Sportster.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, looks like PSP is not making anymore run in stands. They have shown out of stock for months now. Guess I found a use for my mill after all. Time to get a couple small slabs of aluminum. Need a T cutter for the slots, and already have a plan in my head that I need to put down on paper. I have a Tatone for the smaller engines, but need one for the big gas engines.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goddam it dave every time i think you take a step forward and buy something good like a keleo exhaust ring you ruin it by buying a smelly two stroke,posting pics of graupner props and riding a harley etc.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 AM
Jesse Open

acdii
Good deal,
Pics will be appreciated. What size T cutter are you looking for?

Looks like with all these store bought products falling by the wayside; Model builders will be getting a bit more opportunities.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 01-17-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Goddam it dave every time i think you take a step forward and buy something good like a keleo exhaust ring you ruin it by buying a smelly two stroke,posting pics of graupner props and riding a harley etc.
Awe Pete, you gotta cut me some slack, my four strokes outnumber the two strokes, 15 Saitos, 2 OS to 5 OS la's, 2 Super Tigre's, a 2300 and a 4500, 5 Fox'.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-17-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 AM
Jesse Open

Very happy to report ZERO two strokes here. None to come either....

YS, Saito, Enya and OS. Every single one a four stroke

Last edited by Jesse Open; 01-17-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Well, looks like PSP is not making anymore run in stands. They have shown out of stock for months now. Guess I found a use for my mill after all. Time to get a couple small slabs of aluminum. Need a T cutter for the slots, and already have a plan in my head that I need to put down on paper. I have a Tatone for the smaller engines, but need one for the big gas engines.
Ge one of Ron Sexton's sands they can hold anything.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Jesse Open

And miss the fun of making one ???

Last edited by Jesse Open; 01-17-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.