Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
cracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking for acceptable props for the FA-220. I am thinking of an 18x8 for overall performance and good transition but I have no clue as to what brand and where I can get the best deal on purchasing them. I got this engine from a fellow I know and he was getting out of the hobby. It has very little run time. I plan on putting it in a Goldberg Sukhoi that previously was running a Saito 150 and needed weight in the nose. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That should be an awesome Sukhoi! Is yours the kit or ARF?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 AM
cracker

Kit I believe. Very well constructed by the builder and a nice color scheme.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

Havnt gotten my Turbo Header yet , but ordered one for an 82 aac and about to order one for my 180 . Will give some feedback on them when I can

Mike
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking a 220 is more of a 20 X 8 engine but you can get by with a 18 X 8
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
silver.kiwi

Very nice looking engine there. Bet its loud with the flex pipes on it Cant imagine you having problems with it. Saitos are the best wish i had the cash to fork out on one of there radials or twins i just like the way they look.
I fell for the look and sound thing too. However, the model I have is an older version with a pump that runs off the cam that is supposed to provide better lube to the crankcase but doesn't. Also, as I understand from posts in this forum, the dual carbs are problematic and flameouts are a problem even with onboard glow. Guess I'll find out as there's no turning back now.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
silver.kiwi

[.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

Very nice looking engine there.[sm=thumbup.gif] Bet its loud with the flex pipes on it[sm=47_47.gif] Cant imagine you having problems with it. Saitos are the best wish i had the cash to fork out on one of there radials or twins i just like the way they look.
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
I fell for the look and sound thing too. It's just that I have the older version of the 100T that has a cam driven pump that was supposed to improve lubrication to the crankcase but didn't. Also, as I have read here, it has dual carbs. and they are very problematic. Read that to mean lots of flame outs even with Onboard Glow. I guess I'll find out as there's no turning back now??????????
Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: silver.kiwi

Very nice looking engine there. Bet its loud with the flex pipes on it Cant imagine you having problems with it. Saitos are the best wish i had the cash to fork out on one of there radials or twins i just like the way they look.
I fell for the look and sound thing too. However, the model I have is an older version with a pump that runs off the cam that is supposed to provide better lube to the crankcase but doesn't. Also, as I understand from posts in this forum, the dual carbs are problematic and flameouts are a problem even with onboard glow. Guess I'll find out as there's no turning back now.
The plane should fly OK but flight will be rather scale like

These engines run rather reliably. If you like you could run the pump to the tank rather than the crankcase and use a regulator on the carbs.

mine runs easy and doesn't drop cylinders or anything. The needle valves were very easy to adjust
Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 PM
YBP

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

SK, that engine should be very straightforwrd to set up and run,. Set the airbleeds halfway across their holes and then set the HS needles about 3 turns out and fire it up. Next procede to lea each HS needle about 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time alternating back and forth. Use a prop that you'll know the ballpark rpm for a .90 sized single. Say a 14x6 at 9,500 for a Saito .91 single, Jim can correct me if that is wrong. As you approach 9,000 you'll be very close, I have a 1.30 and that's the way I did it. It has the same two carb set up as yours except its carbs are 2 needle.

Hi Hobbsy.

I recently bought a used 130t. I would really appreciate your #´s on propsize, rpm, approx LS & HS turns on your 130t.
I have had it running just to hear it run. Just for a couple of minutes tho, because it needs new bearings and it seemed to be a little low on compression on one sylinder. It got better after running, but I don´t know if it will be 100%. I guess I´ll just change the bearings and have a go.
I´m planning on using it on a 1/5 kangke monocoupe.

Thanks,
Lars.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Stick40

Ok I just recently bought a used u can do 3d with a saito 72 and it my the best engine i have ever owned. So , how can i become a member of club saito!

Stick 40
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

SK, that engine should be very straightforwrd to set up and run,. Set the airbleeds halfway across their holes and then set the HS needles about 3 turns out and fire it up. Next procede to lea each HS needle about 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time alternating back and forth. Use a prop that you'll know the ballpark rpm for a .90 sized single. Say a 14x6 at 9,500 for a Saito .91 single, Jim can correct me if that is wrong. As you approach 9,000 you'll be very close, I have a 1.30 and that's the way I did it. It has the same two carb set up as yours except its carbs are 2 needle.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Do you have a good way to tell when the bleed screws are halfway across their holes? I can barely see in the left carb, but not good enough to really see the screw position. The right carb is impossible because the hole is hidden on the back side of the engine and you'd have to be a gnat to see in the thing.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
linkadrip

Well looks like no TurboHeader for my FA62A[&o] Just gonna have to use the 90 from horizon and my regular muffler set up to get my muffler in the cowl looks like. And the TurboHeader sounded really cool too.

Update the manufacture of the turbomuffler is working on the 10mm Turboheader and will hopefully have them available sometime in the future for the Smaller Saitos So i might not have to go with the Horizon one.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Here's way i need a 90 and a muffler. Kinda hard to get it in the cowl otherwise dont want to end up cutting a big hole in the side of my cowl. Dont mind opening the bottom a little more. So i'll be patient an wait and see if a turbomuffler comes out for my Engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19745.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	875179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12466.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	875180  
Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
RPMcK
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys, I need some extra weight in the nose to get the CG where it belongs. Does anyone have experience with using Great Planes spinner weights on the prop shaft? I'm installing a Saito 180 and a 2 oz. spinner weight put the CG right on the money.
anyone know of any reason NOT to us it? Like balance problems or anything like that?

Thanks, Ron
Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM
silver.kiwi

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: silver.kiwi

The plane should fly OK but flight will be rather scale like

These engines run rather reliably. If you like you could run the pump to the tank rather than the crankcase and use a regulator on the carbs.

mine runs easy and doesn't drop cylinders or anything. The needle valves were very easy to adjust
Thanks for a positive note. I hadn't thought of using the pump to pressuize the tank, but I still have to wonder about enough lubrication for the lower end. Also, I'm not sure what type of regulator you're talking about for the carbs. Enlighten me please.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
w8ye

The Cline regulator
http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/fuelsysdesc.htm

Do it yourself
http://home.wanadoo.nl/pereivers/reg...pply/todo.html
Old 02-10-2008, 09:00 PM
silver.kiwi

Thanks, hopefully it won't be needed. From the photo of your 130, it looks like you have two regulators (one per carb) and two pressure sources (one per muffler) hooked to a "Y" fitting to a single lead to the tank. Likewise a single feed from the filter to a "Y" and then to each regulator. Is this correct? What was the advantage for this engine? Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SK, the biggest reason is that I'm a gadget lovin kind of guy and I have the stuff. I'll have to run the engine again to get some tach numbers, It's only 17 degrees so I don't know if it will be today.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Hobbsy

Link, You're in luck, I had the opportunity to wring out the proto-type of the TurboHeader for the Saito .62 today, it's the new style which is better looking and more compact. It's well packaged in a bubble pack envelope, the TurboHeader body and pressure tap have their own little plastic envelope, the pressure tap is not assembled to avoid poking holes in the packaging.

Engine=Saito .62a plain/velocity stack
Prop=Graupner 12x7
Fuel=WildCat 10%/18%-80/20 lube.
Plug=GloDevil 4C Special from Fuelman
RPM with stock cast muffler==10,030
RPM with TurboHeader=====10,288

I could not take tach pictures, the camera simply wouldn't work in the 22 degree temp and I didn't work too well either. I will test it on the Saito .50 and .56 as soon as I can. As soon as I can I'm going to pick up a couple more of them for my Saito TS .90 twin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75681.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	876860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18189.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	876861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78619.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	876862  
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
linkadrip

Hobbsy

Cool that is great[sm=thumbup.gif] i'll be placing my Order For one as soon as payday rolls around. Thats a very Good increase in rpm, I didnt realize that there would be such a large difference.

And i notice it already is at 90 degrees witch is perfect can be mounted straight up or straight down in my case coming out the bottom of the Cowling.[8D]

How did you get that one for the Saito 62A the Ad still doesnt show there is one for that size engine. Are you the manufacture of them?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
RC Specialties

Link,

I am glad you like the .62A TurbHeader. They have not yet gone into production. There is still more testing to be done. I was very pleased with the results Hobbsy reported. I have several sources to get independent unbiased testing done. Hobbsy was kind enough to test this muffler for me. This model is designed for the .50, .56, and the .62 range of engines. When all the testing is complete and the performance is as expected, they will go to production. It should not be long.

Jim
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
linkadrip

Great i will be watching for them. Probably wont be until the end of Febuary i will be able to get one. So take your time no rush. But i will be purchasig one when they go into production.

And thanks for the Info on there progress.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Hobbsy

OK, I got the check out the TurboHeader on an old 1994 Saito .56 and a Saito .50 from the last ones made.
Fuel=WildCat 10%/18% lube

Saito .56/stock cast muffler,
Plug==GloDevil 4C Special
Graupner 12x6
RPM===10,320

Saito .56/TurboHeader
RPM===10,530

Saito .50/Stock long skinny muffler, came with it.
Plug==Fox Miracle
Prop=Graupner 12x5
RPM===11,125
Prop=Graupner 12x5
Saito .50/TurboHeaderRPM===11,350

There probably aren't many Saito .50s and .45s out there but I will do the FA .45 also.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 PM
1rcaddict

Hey Hobbsy, Ijust followed your breakin procedure on a brand new 82, all went well until, after setting a rich HS i began to lean out the LS and the engine just quit. At first I thought it siezed because the prop was really hard to turn but after a few minutes the prop seemed to free up and I was able and I was able to start it once again. I made a slight LS adjustment and bam it seemed to sieze again. It's been about 5 minutes and although I am able to spin it, there is friction. Any ideas
Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
w8ye

If it is bound up you need to call Horizon. I had one do that and the connecting rod was seized on the crank pin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.