Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club MAGNUM !

Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 PM
rlau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club MAGNUM !

Ernie, thanks for the reply, its 35 degrees here and might be a while till I get my planes up in the air. I will try to richen it a bit, the last few flights I did richen it alot and it seemed to help. The tower muffler wont fit on the plane I have the engine at a 45degree angle and it is to long. Would it hurt the engine to take the baffle out, will that give it more power? Mine is also hard to turn off and, call me stupid but where exactly is the low end adjustment. thanks Randy
Old 11-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: s mac

Can any one tell me if a Magnum or ASP crankshaft will fit as SC 91 fourstroke ?
I am having no luck finding SC parts.

Cheers,

s mac
I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would say yes. You might just have to take
a chance and order one....and hope it fits.

FBD.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rlau

Ernie, thanks for the reply, its 35 degrees here and might be a while till I get my planes up in the air. I will try to richen it a bit, the last few flights I did richen it alot and it seemed to help. The tower muffler wont fit on the plane I have the engine at a 45degree angle and it is to long. Would it hurt the engine to take the baffle out, will that give it more power? Mine is also hard to turn off and, call me stupid but where exactly is the low end adjustment. thanks Randy
-------------

If your fuel tank isn't very close to the engine and its centerline isn't in line with the spraybar of the engine, I would not remove the muffler baffle.

It might produce a bit more power without it, but then you might run into problems with "rich midrange" syndrome and very difficult tuning. It depends upon where the pressure nipple is installed in the muffler and just how large the carb ventura has been made.

I love guys that modify engines and then ***** about how crappy they run afterwards. Don't be one of those guys, please. <G>

Old 11-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Flyboy Dave

Randy....look at the side of the carb where the throttle linkage hooks to.
See that screw in there ? Turning it "in" (clockwise) leans the low speed
mixture, and vice versa. Only turn it 1/8 of a turn at a time, and always
check the high speed mixture when you have changed the low speed.
Close the high speed needle until the engine peaks-out (max rpm), then
open it up until the engine audibly slows down some.

Usually if you remove the baffle....you will still have Ok pressure to the
fuel tank, but it depends on the individual application (plane). If you remove
the baffle, and you have to open the high speed needle way up to get the
engine to richen-up.....you have lost too much of your fuel pressure. Your
engine could run lean and over heat from lack of fuel and lean running. Put
the baffle back in to restore the needed fuel pressure.

FBD.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 AM
IronCross

Anyone gat the new Mag 1.80 yet... How does it perform ?...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Does anyone know what size prop is good (and the crank threadsize) for the Magnum/ASP 400 5-cyl radial?

Thanks,
Teryn
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: teryn1-RCU

Does anyone know what size prop is good (and the crank threadsize) for the Magnum/ASP 400 5-cyl radial?

Thanks,
Teryn

Have you fired that baby up yet ?... Love to hear it run
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Getting the engine in a few days. Here's some vids of my 5-cyl Saito 325:

www.terynd.com/saito325.html
Old 12-05-2005, 04:17 PM
IronCross

Love the sound of 4 strokes and the multi cylinder ones are even better... Looking forward to a report on that 1.8 Mag ...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have four 4 stroke engines and I love them all. I have a Saito 91s that is my strongest engine, OS 70 Surpass and 2 Magnums (70 & 91) My OS and Magnum engines are on par with each other. I have posted a video here of my Magnum 91s four stroke flying my 1/5 scale SE-5a that weighs in at 10.5 lbs. The plane flys very scale like and everyone at the field connect believe my Magnum has the power to fly this plane. But seeing is believing. I have a APC 14x6 prop on it and I run it rich using Omega 15% fuel.

If I had all of the money I needed for this sport I would be using Saito and YS engines only. But I have to work for a living and the best engine for the Money is the Magnum 4 strokes, bar none.

Enjoy the video.

http://media.putfile.com/Jim-Flying
Old 12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone know anything about a 180 Magnum two stroke that was made a few years ago. I just bought a plane with one on it, brand new never has seen fuel. Plane is getting a bigger motor but I was wondering how the Magnum would compare to an OS160FX. If it's close, I'll save it for a 10 to 12 pound plane. If it's alot weaker, I guess I have a new paper weight.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 AM
RcKrazy23

I have a very old never been used .40 magnum abc series. Any recommendations on how I should break it in, such as how many tanks should I burn, if I should adjust the throttle from idle to full back and forth, etc?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
jstanton

Gare

I have an old Magnum 40GP engine I broke in 3 years ago. I looked up the directions for break-in on the manual that I have and it says to use 10% nitro with at least 18% oil synthetic/castor mix. First tank to be run very rich and start with 2 1/2 turns out on the needle. If the engine starts to die when you remove the glow starter turn the needle value it until it just keeps running. You want the engine to run as rich as it can on the first tanks. The next 2 tanks learn it out about a 1/4 turn more after each tank. Now your are almost ready to fly. On the fourth tank learn it out until you reach optimum RPM than back it out 3 clicks. Do the pinch test when it is at high rpm. The engine should change rpm that return to running speed. Remember to test the engine by picking it up and pointing it to to the sky at a 45% angle with it running at high RPM. If it does not die than you are set to fly. If it dies right away it is to lean, if it sputters it is to rich.

I hope this helps. Good look with your Magnum 40. My 40GP has been a very good engine for the last 3 years.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM
RcKrazy23

jstanton

Thanks for the 411 and optimism, after reading all the negative remarks on magnums I was starting to get worried. Looks like I need to purchase a prop rpm meter.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
RcKrazy23

Would my glow .40 magnum have enough power for my 7lb airplane or would it just float?

The next engine I purchase for a plane will be the highest engine requirement....BIGGER IS BETTER.....so why settle for less!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
jstanton

RcKrazy

I think you will find your old Magnum 40 will be a good runner. I have had trouble with some of my engines and almost 95% of the time it has been a carb issue. If you have any trouble the people at Global will be glad to help you. I have engines from all of the major manufactures and have had trouble with them all on and off, yes even OS. Don't give up on an engine if it gives you trouble. There is always an answer to its problem.

You will have a longer life engine if you run it on the richer side. I find that guy's that seem to have the most trouble with their engines don't have the patients to deal with it. They give up to early. Magnum engines are no better or worse then the other out there. I find them to be a good reliable engine at a very good price. And if you ever get into 4 strokes you'll find the Magnum line of engine and good a any OS. I know I have both and the Magnums are just as reliable and strong as the OS engines

Good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM
jstanton

RcKrazy

If your 7lbs plane is a trainer and is rated for a 40 size engine the Magnum 40 will fly it just fine. But if it is a sport plane you engine will not be up to it. What 7 lbs plane are you planning on using with your Magnum 40? And is you magnum 40 a GP or an XL model. You have a little more power with the XL model.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 03:13 PM
RcKrazy23

IT's for a hobbico asap cessna 182 arf, I doubt they make it any more. I got it 12yrs ago, but just got around to building it. The magnum .40 is from that time as well it's an abc series, which I think they discontinued.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM
jstanton

RcKrazy

On the side of the engine does it have a XL molded in the crack case? Does it have the old air bleed type carb or the newer two needle carb?
The cessna my need a larger engine that the magnum 40. It is not a trainer level airplane. Did you buy the engine with the airplane? Most 40 size planes weigh in at 5.5 lbs are less. So to fly a 7 lbs plane you will need a lot of wing area.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
jstanton

RcKrazy

I did a search using goole to try and find some information on the Hobbico ASAP Cessna 182 ARF. I could not find anything on a Hobbico Cessna 182, but I did find a Great Planes Cessna 182 ARF. Your magnum 40 should fly this airplane, but you will be on the lower end of the power scale, so you need to be at least a pilot that has completed your flight training with an instructor. If you are a beginner I would check with a instructor at your local flying club to see if he or she will be comfortable using this plane as a trainer. This is a very nice kit and I would not like to see you losing it while you are learning. If you can I would go with the Sig Kadet Senior or another trainer that is rated to use a 40 size engine.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
RcKrazy23

jstanton

I was trying to scan my cessna's manual, but after reformatting my computer I've misplaced the cd for my scanner. Anyhow, like I said this arf is approximately 12-13yrs old. The specs are:

Wing span 51 1/2"
Length 46 1/2
Wing area 615 sq. in.

The manual recommends atleast a 4 channel radio and .40 2cycle or .60 4cycle to operate.

So, my .40 magnum PRO should be fine, yes?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Andy McC

I bought a magnum 40 Gp off ebay last year. It was unused and had been in someones garage for a number of years. It has the air bleed carb. I ran it in with a castor blend and now use synthetic. I can't believe how good this little engine is. It will idle for minutes at a time and still give instant throttle response, most of my more modern 2 needle carbs would be hard pushed to match it. No it's not a power house but will hold its own against most other 40s. I would have thought 7lb might have been a bit over optimistic for a 40.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
RcKrazy23

I'm gonna weigh my airplane on a scale. I was thinking 7lbs might be more than the actual weight so I'll have to check to make sure.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Flyboy Dave

ORIGINAL: RcKrazy23

I'm gonna weigh my airplane on a scale. I was thinking 7lbs might be more than
the actual weight so I'll have to check to make sure.
I think 7 lbs would be heavy for a plane with an 51 1/2 wingspan. I'm thinking
5 1/2, to 6 lbs maximum. (and that's a lot)

If it were that heavy, I would go with some more power.

FBD.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 AM
RcKrazy23

Darn, that means I would have to be another motor. Hmmm, the manual says a .40 should be fine, are you suggesting that it would crawl and not be able to do basic aerobatics like loops, barrell rolls, etc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.