Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

RCV Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RCV Engines

Anyone actually own one of these? If so, tell us about it, please.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines

There are two kinds. One has the prop turning at engine speed and the other has the prop turning at half speed.

The engine itself is a 4 cycle of the sleeve valve design. Therefore it is not the most powerful 4 stroke around. But they seem to be reliable, everyday, easy to tune, and trouble free engines.

On the prop speed reduction versions there are certain advantages to running a larger prop at a slower rpm. Especially for scale models.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fly:

RCV are having a promotion currently, offering a 58CD to AMA chartered clubs for evaluation. We had our first report on the one sent us at our meeting tonight. Point being, along with the evaluation engine there was a coupon to order any RCV from the factory in England at a 15% discount, and approx $8 for shipping/handling. If you are AMA and a local club member, RCV has given permission to copy the coupon and buy as many as you want.

Might be worth following up.

Incidentally, the report tonight was all sweetness and light. The fellow doing our report likes the engine very much.

Bill.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the RCV .90SP and the .58 CD they are fine fine engines and do what is promised. The .90SP turns a 17x6-10 fourblade at 5,500 and the .58 CD turns a 13x6 at exactly 9,000 rpm. I run them on WildCat 10% nitro Premium fuel with 16% 80/20 syn./ castor blend. They do not respond to more nitro.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Rv7garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... so far it sounds like these are the least finicky four strokes out there. My apparrent mistake was to buy an O.S. 70 Ultimate- seems like a lot of people have had problems with it.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:44 AM
RCV Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I should just inform you that the RCV club program is only running with specified clubs and that any discount structure is for those club members only. Therefore unless you are a member of one of the clubs, you would unfortunately not be entitled to any discount.

Sorry for any confusion, but I am very pleased that the engine tester from Bill's club is happy with his engine.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Laurenne:

Whatever restrictions there may be this is still a very good deal for those who can take advantage of it.

Recommended, if you want one of the RCV engines.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
RCV Engines

I agree Bill

Sorry, I didn't want to put anyone off purchasing an engine .

The main purpose of this club program is so modellers can see the RCV engines running for themselves, which we belive is important in getting our engines accepted as a real alternative to conventional 4-strokes.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 03-08-2005, 04:48 PM
bipeaddict

I own the RCV 60 SP and placed it in a Smith Mini-plane. You certainly don't have to mess with valves. I haven't had any problems with my engine other than the a throttle screw backing out due to vibration. I wrestled with it for awhile before I realized what was going on. I have been pleased over all with the engine.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:05 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

I have a .58 CD and a .120SP that have both been run on the stand only. They start easily and run strong. The SP series have serious cool factor and the large props seem designed for 1/4 scale WWI fighters. I am mounting one on a Nieuport 28 and plan to try 22x10 and 24x6 props. The 24x6 is actually about scale length.

I might go with a .91 CD on a funaero Albatros DIII I have (still in the box) although I originally bought a YS 91 for it. I won't get around to building that one for a while though.

BTW, I can easily hand prop the .120 SP. Just prime it good and wet first. Starts right up.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Jeff

With regard to the 120SP propeller, I wouldn't advise using a pitch of less than 10. The 22x10 should be fine and a 24x10 could also be considered.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
jchumley

Thanks Laurenne:

I came to that conclusion myself over the weekend and I put a 22-10 on it. The max RPM went up 220 RPM and the engine seemed to run cooler.
ORIGINAL: rcv

Hi Jeff

With regard to the 120SP propeller, I wouldn't advise using a pitch of less than 10. The 22x10 should be fine and a 24x10 could also be considered.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-11-2005, 11:58 AM
dasintex

I have the 91CD and it works great; I scaled out a Kyosho 40 size AgWagon CropDuster complete with working/spraying spray booms; all the plumbing/water pumps/water tank/scale enhancements increased the weight; needed a 90 size engine fly the beast; no other engine would fit; the RCV 91CD is a 90 size engine that is no bigger in height than a 60 size 4 Stroke; fit better than the YS53 that was originally in this plane. I highly recommend the RCV CD engines; have no experience with the SP RCV engines.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:50 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; A fellow at our field recently visited England and came back with a 58CD, he brought it to the field yesterday. We had a bit of a tough time bolting it down to our bench mount due to the length of the mounts. We finally held it down with 2 6-32 machine screws at the back. Primed it ant it fired right up. While it was running a rain squall passed overhead sending everyone running for shelter. Not much experience really, but it sounded a little loud but smooth. I'm hoping it will work out, it seemed pretty smooth for a new engine, it didn't shake at all. The engine seemed very broad at the base, and not very light. Funny I thought the same thing about my Laser before I got used to it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
WRM

What about 3D ?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
laker500
My Feedback: (2)

Hello,
I heard rumor once that they were noisy engines. Not loud from exhaust but gear train type noisy due to the design of the engine itself. Can anyone tell me if this is true or false? I was considering the inline style for a Midwest AT-6 that I bought all framed up and ready to cover. I like the idea of the inline style fitting all inside the cowling. Does anyone know if you can get any sort of custom exhaust for that situation? This is only in the thinking stages as I have other projects to finish first but I saw this thread and thought I could learn something. Jeff
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Barber
We haven't had any direct experience with 3D flying, but the RCV CD series could be suitable. The SP series have the reduction gearing, so the prop swings at half the engine speed which wouldn't be suitable for 3D

Cheers
Laurenne
Old 08-09-2005, 02:27 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Jeff

Some of our older version SP engines did used to have a fair bit of gear noise. All SP engines now come with a helical gear (rather than straight cut) which reduces this. We now also individually test run and set up SP series engines to ensure the gear clearance is perfect. They do sound different to conventional model engines though (they sound more like the real thing )

With regard to custom exhaust the 90SP and 120SP use a M11 x 0.75 thread which is relatively standard (the same as an OS91FS) so you may be able to pick something up from the shelf. The 60SP uses a M10 x 0/75 (same as an OS52FS). You will need to ensure adequate air inlets and outlets are cut into your cowl for cooling.

Best regards
Laurenne

Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 PM
WRM

I am going to buy a 91CD tomorrow for my u-can-do 46. It will be mounted inverted . Will I need an onboard glow ? The fuel I will be running is Power Master Mean & Green 15% Nitro & 18% all synthetic . Is this suitable to run?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 AM
65 Chevy

Hi Guys,
I have the RCV 58. It is mounted on a self designed stick type plane which weights in at about 4 1/2 pounds all up and wet. This engines hauls that plane around quite well, but does not quite have the power to hover it. I do not find this engine to be heavy at all, if memory serve correctly, it is comparable to the older OS 4 stroke engines of the similar displacement. The crank case and mounting rails are quite a bit wider than a standard 4 stroke which does come into play on 40 size planes but the mounting rails are not much wider than a .60 two stroke.

You do get some gear noise from the engine, similar to the type of sound that you get from a Small Block Chevy engine with a supercharger on it... I kinds like the sound... Sounds like a little hot rod. Exhaust noise in not an issue. Other than the gear noise, it seems very quiet.

Inverted applications is really where this engine shines. The glow plug is mounted horizontally rather than vertically in the head. The glow plug does not become a well for unburned fuel like a normal 4 stroke. I only tried the engine inverted on my test stand, but went through 2 tanks of fuel (10 oz. each) with no noticeable difference at idle or transition. I would not think you would have to have an on-board glow driver on the plane to run it this way.

If I were to run this engine for 3D, I would try larger diameter low pitch props, and it might work out well. At the time, I was not into 3D and didn't do much experimenting with Diameter and Pitch for the purpose.
You might be surprised if you did.

All in all, I really like my 58. FUEL consumption is very low, even for a 4 stroke. I don't run my engines very lean so there is room for improvement if you want to run on the lean side.

I really like this little engine for its nice power, and small size. If I had the application I would not hesitate to own another one

Thanks for listening
Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 PM
jcorbin

I have a RCV 120sp I have communated with RCV and then we found out I was out of warranty. My engine has never been in an airplane. My problem is the first time I tried to run it the muffler got so hot it melted the threads right out of the muffler. I went through KMP and got a new muffler and pipe and ran the engine again, same problem. I only let it run for about a min. and a half the muffler and pipe got so hot smoke was pouring off of it. The engine itself was cool enough to touch with your finger. I'm running a fuel that meets RCV specs. and I'm running it rich. Does anyone have any ideas? I've never had this problem befor. I am currently running four four stroke engines with no trouble on the same fuel. Thanks JC
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM
RCV Engines

Hi

Is your 120SP cowled? If so have you allowed adequate holes to let the air flow over the engine. We would recommend a 3:1 (or at least 2:1) ratio of air outlet to air inlet.
Also what fuel are you using? Does it have any castor?

Although your engine is not under warranty it still may be worth sending your engine to our US service centre to see what is causing the problem.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Olliedog

Laurenne
I am just wondering if RCV will be doing similar evaluation test in Australia, or would the market be to small. I would love to see and hear one running with a custom exhaust similar to one I saw in a UK mag for a Lancaster. A real scale effect with no bits sticking out of the cowl.

Regards Greg
Old 09-02-2005, 06:41 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Greg

At the moment we have no plans as the costs involved in this program were high. We haven't ruled it out though.

With regard to seeing the engines in action, I have just uploaded a brand new website which includes tons more info, photos and videos of the engines. You should definately check out the B-17 footage with 4 x RCV58CD's. It sounds fantastic - see the following link
[link=http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv_gallery_video.htm]www.rcvengines.com/rcv_gallery_video.htm [/link] and click on the B-17 video.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM
jcorbin

Laurenne, You and I had several e mails about this engine. I have never put this engine into an airplane. It was just my luck that it sat around in the box untill it was out of warranty. The fule that I'm useing is running fine in three OS four strokes and one Sato and yes I run castor oil. I've thought of sending it to the US repair center but I'm woundering what the cost will be and if I'll ever be able to use the engine? I don't intend to bad mouth your product because I've never had a chance to use it. Sincerly John B. Corbin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.