Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2256

Thread: Club Enya

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Club Enya

I'm not sure, but I don't think that the lapped piston and sleeve has a tapered bore like an ABC, ABN, AAC engine does, so there shouldn't be a tightness at the top. I have 2 SS25bbs and an SS40bb and there is no pinch at the top. They are very strong runners, and start and idle well.

Have fun,
    Larsen
    Larsen
    AMA 93432, SPA 411

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LaCerne

I'm not sure, but I don't think that the lapped piston and sleeve has a tapered bore like an ABC, ABN, AAC engine does, so there shouldn't be a tightness at the top. I have 2 SS25bbs and an SS40bb and there is no pinch at the top. They are very strong runners, and start and idle well.

Have fun,
    Larsen
    I am far form an expert, though I have yet to see a ringless engine with no taper in the bore. I have a fox .40 single BB from '83 that had a slight taper to it. Though it was run pretty hard before I got it, it did have a tighter fit at TDC until the wristpin clip broke and shredded the piston and liner. At the end of the day, it's going to get a nice long break-in and I'm sure this thing is going to really be a runner. I went digging through my small box of engine parts to see if I have another muffler that will fit and will be a tad quieter. I think the closest one is from said Fox .40 but I dont know if the bolt spacing is the same or not.

Anyone else know if they're supposed to have a slight taper in the bore or not?
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Folks should keep in mind that in addition to compressing the fuel/air mix in the top of the cylinder, the engine also relies upon the piston/lower cylinder bore seal to pump air and fuel into the engine. Many an engine runs bad because the lower end seal in the crankcase has worn too much, but still has great upper end compression.

I see no advantage to tapering the top of the bore in a lapped piston/steel sleeved two-stroke glow engine.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Folks should keep in mind that in addition to compressing the fuel/air mix in the top of the cylinder, the engine also relies upon the piston/lower cylinder bore seal to pump air and fuel into the engine. Many an engine runs bad because the lower end seal in the crankcase has worn too much, but still has great upper end compression.

I see no advantage to tapering the top of the bore in a lapped piston/steel sleeved two-stroke glow engine.

Ed Cregger
    The car engines I was speaking of run and tune very nicely. Neither of them were broke in by me and are ABC construction. With an oil film on the piston/liner in those two examples, there was a good seal. I think the piston to liner fit on the bottom of the bore was poor to start with.

As for the Enya - I cleaned all of the dried gunk out of the engine. There was quite a collection of "stuff" in my ziplock bag w/ Byrons airplane fuel I soaked the engine in. I only saw the brown crusty oil gunk - no swarf anywhere. The piston/liner may or may not be tapered - I do not know. I do know it feels tighter at TDC than at BDC, but the tightness is now more linear from BDC to TDC. Seems as though the dried oil gunk may have interfered some with the fitment. I am on the hunt for a stack of Enya #3 glow plugs.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

..for your question regarding the thread size:
    I have an SS30, but that's not the BB-version. I can check the thread size there for you if you want, but I'm shure that the thread is metric M3.
    Japan is an metric country and Enya uses metric screws for a long time now. If the thread is M3 there is an inch size thread that's a little bit greater in diameter, but don't ask me for the specification...

Regards,

Holm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tiffitech

..for your question regarding the thread size:
    I have an SS30, but that's not the BB-version. I can check the thread size there for you if you want, but I'm shure that the thread is metric M3.
    Japan is an metric country and Enya uses metric screws for a long time now. If the thread is M3 there is an inch size thread that's a little bit greater in diameter, but don't ask me for the specification...

Regards,

Holm
    I did some digging through my RC Car parts bin and found 2 screws that are the same thread/pitch but significantly longer. They will work fine. I've repaired the stripped hole as well. I'll have the engine back together later today (stuff to do in the mean time) but I'll have this thing running soon. I didnt find any mufflers with the right bolt spacing so I'll have to use the enya muffler and run the exhaust through a coffee can or something to lessen its "bark" and keep the neighbors off my back. They dont bother me much anyway, but I try to be nice about the noise.

I couldn't find any Enya #3 plugs this morning so I ordered a card of 12 McCoy MC59 plugs which I've used extensively over the last few years with good success. They were less than $6 apiece which is a lot cheaper than most retail outlets sell them for ($8-$10). I have a few left from the last lot I got from a RC Car buddy but I like to have a good stock of plugs.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just received a couple of old Enya 2cyle glow engines. I probably saved them from the trash bin, where they were headed.

There are and Enya .45 and a .19, They both appear to be 10+ years old. They turn freely and appear to have good compression.

Am am still flying glow powered and like the smaller trainers and motor-gliders. The plane I am flying mostely now is an OS .15 powered dynaflight butterfly.

I have had no experience with Enya engines in the past. I have had only OS, supertiger, Thindertiger and webra engines.

Are these decent engines? Are they worth cleaning up and using?

I don't even know if they are ringed / bearings etc. Any info would help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless the .45 and .19 were terribly abused and severely damaged, they are well worth cleaning up and putting into use.
    Enya engines tend to last a very long time. Think many many hours of run time, upwards of 100 or more hours no problem.
    The .19 is a lapped iron piston in a steel sleeve engine with a bushing crankshaft. The .45 is a ringed piston in a steel sleeve engine and it has a ball bearing supported crankshaft.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. They well be put to good use!

I am restoring my old Sr Falcon. I ran it with a webra .40 back in the 80s. It flew well enough, but it I think it would fly better with the Enya .45.

The .19 may go into another project. I am thinking of some sort of small aileron - ugly-stick type flyer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Without seeing photos, or at least the model number cast into the crankcase, it's a bit difficult to say just which .19 and .45 you have because Enya have made so many different versions of each over the last 50 years or so. The .19 though will have an iron piston because even their last one (the 19X) used that although it was a Schneurle port with ball races. The .45's started with iron piston, went to twin rings then a single ring then finally an AAC Schneurle port with the .45CX.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anyone tell me how long Enya has made the SS 30 engines? Mine's model 4301 and I'm curious as to its age. I'm guessing 5-10 years but I cant be sure. Downunder - you got a guess?
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I remember the SS series being shown at toledo in 1986. They may have been out before then. Enya is still making them today.

Larsen
    Larsen
    AMA 93432, SPA 411

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While I do love the OS .40 & .45 FSR in the mid size engine choices, my all time favorites are the Enya .40 & .45 CX AAC engines. Why do I favor the Enya .40 to .45 CX series? Precisely because of the AAC piston and liner employed. As they heat up in a vertical ascent, the piston and the liner grow at a similar enough rate as to prevent the engine from sagging (assuming that you are running a 10x6 prop. This engine needs to rev up in order to produce monster torque. If you tune it the way that you would tune a standard ABC engine, you will never realize the power that this engine is capable of producing.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LaCerne

I remember the SS series being shown at toledo in 1986. They may have been out before then. Enya is still making them today.

Larsen
    Thanks for the info. I doubt my example is that old, but given they came out in '86 or thereabouts and still made today is a testament to them being good engines. I got mine all cleaned out, and I ended up tapping the stripped screw out to 6-32. The original screws are M3x.5pitch from what I can see but the hole was too large to do a M3.5 and I couldnt find a M3.5 screw locally anyway. I wasn't going to order a tap and 1 screw to find it probably wasn't going to work.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

*grin* Enya made only good engines ..

I really can't remember that anyone has complaines about poor quality or bad service.

There are rather old engines that where still build from time to time this days from Enya to satify some special requests.

Kind Regards,

Holm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tiffitech

*grin* Enya made only good engines ..

I really can't remember that anyone has complaines about poor quality or bad service.

There are rather old engines that where still build from time to time this days from Enya to satify some special requests.

Kind Regards,

Holm
    I have read this entire thread, all 47 pages. In those 47 pages, I didnt come across much negativity at all. It almost seems like a cult following. The fit and finish is very nice. I did come up with another question - Are Enya's designed to use short or medium reach plugs? I put a long plug with 1 copper washer in the head (while off the engine) and noticed the end of the plug protrudes into the combustion chamber some. Should I be using long plugs or medium reach plugs? I couldnt find much info on the reach of the Enya plugs.

edit:
    I did some digging around after dinner and found my answer. Evidently Enya does the medium reach glow plug bit in their engines like OS does. This is a new one for me - never had to use short or medium length plugs. Of course I dont have any short or medium plugs, so I remedied the problem with an extra copper washer.

My 30SS is all cleaned, oiled, and buttoned back up. Going to run it in 2 weeks..
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FWIW,

There is an ENYA VT-240 along with LOTS of parts for sale in the classifieds on RCGroups for $850.00. I'd snap that up if I had the cash on hand!

Would love to see it go to an Enya lover! You don't know what you are missing if you've never heard a VT-240 run with your own ears.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw that VT240 too. But I am cash strapped as well. Hopefully it will find a good home.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earl

That brown grung that was in your 4 stroke , I could not believe that, what was it Castor?? , I will check my old Enyas before running !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 123Cat
    Earl
    That brown grung that was in your 4 stroke , I could not believe that, what was it Castor?? , I will check my old Enyas before running !!!
    Heck, mine was pretty clean compared to what some other guys found inside of their engines. The oil gets into the cambox area through that hole in the top center between the camshafts. There is no drain at the bottom. So the oil and any residues simply accumulate in there. But my engine was mounted inverted so the oil drained out and didn't just sit in there like normal.
    But a little Dawn Power Dissolver had it cleaned up good in no time at all.

Fortunately, the old congealed castor protects the engine from rust, so it looks worse than it really is. After you clean off the old castor oil and crud, the metal underneath was still free of rust.

Tiffitech had found this inside his engine:

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After cleaning it up some:

The parts cleaned up, old grungy bearings still shown in the pic though.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's something you guys might find interesting. :-)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/242465062456546/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No... I don't have an facebook account, and I would hate it to have one.

Please describe what there should be interesting...

Regards,

Holm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day Enya lovers.

My "new" Enya 60XF-III turned up today (ex eBay). It has been "played" with a bit by its former owner I think.

1. The carby was on backwards. (Should there be an O ring or gasket under it?)

2. The case appears to have been painted with some sort of silver paint which is coming off in my hands.

3. The liner was rotated about 5 degrees in the case (straightened). Engine appears to have had very little, if any, running. Plug has been used.

4. The air bleed was completely closed.

5. The Mid Range adjustment was on the Lean side.

6. Needle was completely closed.

7. Perry pump instructions say not co close the pressure adjustment to closer than 1/32 inch from the back case. Appears to be at about that limit now.

8. No muffler so I need to find a suitable one. Any suggestions?

9. Props suggested range from 11 x 7 to 12 x 6. This thing must scream. Usable range - 2500 to 17000. Phew.

10. And finally, has TONS of compression.

Any comments?

Cheers

Mike in Oz
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was soooooo close to bidding on that engine.

Mufflers are still available from Enya in Japan for $25 or $38 depending on the model.

https://cs206.xbit.jp/~w041133/store...roducts_id=341

and

https://cs206.xbit.jp/~w041133/store...roducts_id=352

PS. If you're ordering from Enya in Japan, can you get a couple of the new 4-stroke plugs and I'll happily pay a portion of the shipping fee.

Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast