Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

Plus me for 2 units on the new 4 stroke plug please!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 AM
mike109

G'day PC and Firey, Sadly, the "Special" muffler is out of stock but Ken does have the standard (noisier) version so I will probably try to get one of those. I have been running some other Enya two strokes lately. An old 40SS plain bearing engine has the "standard" muffler and is quite noisy. My 45SSBB has the "special" muffler and is very quiet by comparison.

I will buy a few four stroke plugs too and you can both have a couple if I manage to get them. Will be interesting to see how they go.

I have been using Enya plugs in my Enya two strokes and they do seem to be good plugs. In particular, the one in my 45SSBB and the one in my Super Tigre G51 both do not show the usual drop in revs when the plug driver is removed.

In my four strokes (mostly Saito but some Laser, one Enya and some other lesser brands) the revs drop on all the engines when the plug is removed. It is not enough to be a problem but it is quite noticable. (I use one fuel for most my engines - 10% nitro, 5% castor, 15% Klotz T-200 and methanol. I use all castor in a couple of older iron/steel plain bearing engines.)

Now for an email to Ken.

Cheers

Mike in Dubbo
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM
tiffitech

If the rpms are dropping when your remove the glow driver, then you need a hotter plug for this engine and this type of fuel at this temperature...

Kind Regards,

Holm
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 AM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

Holm,

The Facebook link I posted is for a group created by Enya lovers by Ken Enya himself. Kinda neat to put a face to the name - I hope he posts pictures of the factory on there!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks for the FB link. Good to put faces with names.

Larsen
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CustomPC
I was soooooo close to bidding on that engine.
Me too but I knew Mike was interested so I held off, nice guy that I am . OK, plus I've already got one, don't fly RC now and I've got far too many engines anyway . Back when I and my son used the Enya we only used 80/20 all castor and a Master 12x6 prop and it was dead reliable. Also bags of power. I eventually raised the compression considerably and got slightly more than 20% extra power on the same prop/plug/fuel.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I got a question regarding my Ballraced Enya SS30 engine. It came with the standard airbleed/single needle carburetor. I have read around the web about using the 2-needle carb. Is the 2-needle carb that much better than the airbleed carb? Is there any performance advantage? I havent ran mine yet, and to me it doesnt matter whats on it for metering fuel. If the 2-needle carb gives a more linear powerband I would opt for it but if the powerband doesnt change much between the two carbs, I'll just keep what I got.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've got it all cleaned up (there was a lot of dried oil-crud inside!) and oiled (castor of course) and ready to break-in.

Does anyone make a decent .25-.30 trainer kit? I think I might use the Enya instead of the TT .46 for my first trainer plane since its a little more robust than my TT...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 AM
tiffitech

The simple looking Enya "Airbleed Carbs" aren't that simple as expected from most people.
There is a small fuel metering slit in the valve (like Perry Carbs) and the Carbs are functioning very good so far.
Don't know what a TN carb is doing on this engine bu I would keep the installed carb as long as I don't have Problems
with it.and with Enya Engines it's very unlinkly to have Problems...

Kind Regards,

Holm
Old 09-24-2011, 05:37 AM
LaCerne

The carb that's on there is excellent. It is a metered carb with the air bleed used to trim the idle. Just set the air bleed screw 1/2 way across the hole, set the high speed needle and run it. Unless you are at a higher altitude this should be a very close starting point. Run the engine a several times before you try to tweak the idle adjustment, Enyas just get better with age. If you are having trouble with the idle, check the glow plug 1st. I've gotten lazy in the last few years and find it easier to just run Enya 3s or 4s in my 2-strokes rather than finding a less expensive plug that runs as well. You should have lots of fun and success with that engine. I have 2 25BBs, and I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 30BB one day.

I have an engine addiction that I don't want to cure!

Have fun,
Larsen
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: tiffitech

The simple looking Enyas ''Airbleed Carbs'' aren't thsat simple as expected from mot people.
There is a small fuel metering slit in the valve (like Perry Carbs) and the Carbs are functioning very good so far.
Don't know what a TN carb is doing on this engine bu I would keep the installed carb as long as I don't have Problems
with it.and with Enya Engines it's very unlinkly to have Problems...

Kind Regards,

Holm

ORIGINAL: LaCerne

The carb that's on there is excellent. It is a metered carb with the air bleed used to trim the idle. Just set the air bleed screw 1/2 way across the hole, set the high speed needle and run it. Unless you are at a higher altitude this should be a very close starting point. Run the engine a several times before you try to tweak the idle adjustment, Enyas just get better with age. If you are having trouble with the idle, check the glow plug 1st. I've gotten lazy in the last few years and find it easier to just run Enya 3s or 4s in my 2-strokes rather than finding a less expensive plug that runs as well. You should have lots of fun and success with that engine. I have 2 25BBs, and I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 30BB one day.

I have an engine addiction that I don't want to cure!

Have fun,
Larsen
Thanks gentlemen. I am fully aware of the complexity of the airbleed carburetors on these engines. I was just curious as to the TN carb being more advantageous than the airbleed carbs. (I read all 47 pages of this thread before I bought the engine, which I paid $48US shipped to my door NIB) I am building a much nicer break-in stand and once its completed, will break the SS30 in. I could not source any quantity of Enya glow plugs, so I bought a card of McCoy MC59 plugs which I've used in all my other engines with very good results. I found 2 copper washers on the long MC59 plugs to put the bottom of the plug flush with the inside of the combustion chamber. Now that all of the oil is cleaned off the outside of this engine, it really shines. I cant wait to run it!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM
LaCerne

I have very little experience with the TN carbs. The 60 CX is the only engine I've run with the TN, it didn't seem any better just different. Hopefully someone else will chime in that has more time with the TN carbs.

Larsen
Old 09-24-2011, 07:02 AM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The photograph of Ken Enya shows a young looking man. I had expected that Ken Enya would be elderly by now. Does anyone know if that photo is of THE Ken Enya? Perhaps the photo is his son?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Does anyone make a decent .25-.30 trainer kit? I think I might use the Enya instead of the TT .46 for my first trainer plane since its a little more robust than my TT...
One of the problems with a trainer that size is that it will be very hard to see in the air. Larger is better for most people learning to fly. Something to keep in mind.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: blw

One of the problems with a trainer that size is that it will be very hard to see in the air. Larger is better for most people learning to fly. Something to keep in mind.
Duly noted. I'm collecting thoughts from anyone willing to share on the subject. I haven't placed any orders yet so I'm open to all ideas. Awhile back I asked around and the consensus was either a Krafty 60 or LT-40. If it comes to one of those two, then the TT 46 will be the subject of punishment. (LoL)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a question regarding my Ballraced Enya SS30 engine. It came with the standard airbleed/single needle carburetor. I have read around the web about using the 2-needle carb. Is the 2-needle carb that much better than the airbleed carb? Is there any performance advantage? I havent ran mine yet, and to me it doesnt matter whats on it for metering fuel. If the 2-needle carb gives a more linear powerband I would opt for it but if the powerband doesnt change much between the two carbs, I'll just keep what I got.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've got it all cleaned up (there was a lot of dried oil-crud inside!) and oiled (castor of course) and ready to break-in.

Not all air bleed carbs are created equal. Especially Enya and YS carbs with air bleed adjustments. Yes, I said YS (.91AC four-stroke).

Some air bleed equipped carbs are actually "metered" (like two needle) carbs. Enya seldom, if ever, put a true air bleed carb on their ball bearing equipped models. Take the Enya .40/.45/.50/.60 CX series of engines. Most all, but not all, are equipped with metered carbs that use an air bleed trimmer circuit instead of an idle circuit needle. They work just like the latter type of carbs and offer superior fuel metering.

Frankly, the only time I have seen a big advantage with a metered carb is when running a tuned pipe. And even the true air bleed can work acceptable well with a tuned pipe in many situations. Don't change out the Enya carb. It would be an extremely rare situation were you to do so and realize an improvement.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Not all air bleed carbs are created equal. Especially Enya and YS carbs with air bleed adjustments. Yes, I said YS (.91AC four-stroke).

Some air bleed equipped carbs are actually ''metered'' (like two needle) carbs. Enya seldom, if ever, put a true air bleed carb on their ball bearing equipped models. Take the Enya .40/.45/.50/.60 series of engines. Most all, but not all, are equipped with metered carbs that use an air bleed trimmer circuit instead of an idle circuit needle. They work just like the latter type of carbs and offer superior fuel metering.

Frankly, the only time I have seen a big advantage with a metered carb is when running a tuned pipe. And even the true air bleed can work acceptable well with a tuned pipe in many situations. Don't change out the Enya carb. It would be an extremely rare situation were you to do so and realize an improvement.

Ed Cregger
I didnt really have the intention of changing the carb, I was merely curious since there are two or three different carb offerings for the Enya engines. IF I were to change the carb, it would be to the Enya TN carb anyway. I just wanted to know if there was an advantage or not. Since there isnt much of a difference, I'll leave it as-is. I'm totally fine with that. I'm just trying to be better "in the know".. I doubt I'll ever run a full tuned pipe on any of my engines. Most I'd do is a Jettstream as my TT really woke up with it.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Ah the sweet sound of an Enya 120 4-C. Float flying with a few slow fly-bys and a few landing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJHBOg8CIU[/youtube]
Old 09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Thanks for the vid, that was sweet. BTW, I just traded off a new 120 4C, I'm sure I'll kick myself for that someday.

Is you engine a 120R or standard 120?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

That's the standard. Nice running engine.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
fiery

OK ENYAphiles ... I have a question for you.

I am going to put an .29-IV special I was given by an elderly Gent into service.

I noticed it has almost no compression to speak of. I ordered a new P&L set from Ken Enya. It arrived a few days later.

Now, I can easily push the old piston through the old liner, bottom to top. However, I take the new items out of the packet .. and I can do the same to them!

Are these engines deliberately set up "loose"? My other ENYA engines are much more modern and have great compression.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck I forget now. I would suggest putting them in the engine and see if you have compression. usually you get good compression again, but don't forget to oil it, as the oil will boost the compression too.
If the crankcase hs a air leak in it, say the gasket leaks, then it can act like it has little or no compression too. Hopefully it isn't the front bushing on the crankshaft being worn out and sucking air.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM
mike109

G'day Fiery

Is it an iron piston in a steel liner? If it is, it will probably grow as you slowly (and richly) run it in over a couple of hours. Castor oil also will help by building up a varnish on the piston as it ages. It needs lots of short runs with a cool down in between. And probably 25% castor.

Mike in Dubbo
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
fiery

Iron and steel it is ...

I'll run it in on 25% castor fuel and see how I go. I am going to put the old P&L back in it as I now believe there is nothing wrong with them.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 AM
tiffitech

There are 2 different Heads for your Engine, a low compression and a high compression head.
The compression ratio will be 7.5:1 and 9.5:1 respective.
Maybe you have the low compression head mounted and the 7.5:1 ratio is appearing rater low..
We hadd a discussion about the head variants some postings before on page 46 (as you know),
so which head is mounted on your engine?

Kind Regards,

Holm
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 AM
mike109

G'day

I got caught with a piston and liner like yours. The engine came as "low use" but had almost no compression. I also bought a new one and the new one did have more compression but I suspect that if I had run the old one in properly that it would have been OK.

Cheers

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.