Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

Using my Enya .35 heads.
The standard compression head is about 2.7mm deep whereas the high compression head is about 3.7mm deep. Trying to measure fractions of a millimeter is tricky if you aren't using a caliper or something though.
My apologies on the fuzzy pics, I didn't realize the lens picked up a bit of oil on it until I had put everything away already. But you can still get the idea though.

Standard head is about 2.7mm deep

The high compression  head is about 3.7mm deep

Both standard head on the left and the high compression head on the right.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: fiery

Iron and steel it is ...

I'll run it in on 25% castor fuel and see how I go. I am going to put the old P&L back in it as I now believe there is nothing wrong with them.
As you run it the compression seal may actually get better from the varnish left behind by the castor oil.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I am going to break my SS30 in today, so I'll hear firsthand just how "noisy" it is. I have a bucket and some big hose to route into a needed to keep noise lower. Looking down the road, if I decide to put this engine in a go-fast plane, what would be the best choice for a tuned muffler on this engine?

edit: Added picture. 2 runs, 2 minutes each so far. 5% nitro 25% castor, MC59 with 2 washers, and APC 9x5 prop. I grabbed the 9x5 by mistake, someone stuck it on the 9x6 hook. I didnt look at it to make sure, so go figure. I'm going to see if I can get an hour on it today.

Exhaust ran into a bucket to lower the noise.. I just set it up this way to start with since I had the stuff to do it. Noise level is actually pretty good, and since I used clear vinyl tubing I can see the obnoxious amount of oil going through it. There is no doubt its well lubed.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Rendegade

I had a similar setup for years, with the bucked filled with just enough water to cover the exhaust tube, but the outlet was just a hole in the top. It'd burble away to it's hearts content, and make the most sickly milky yellow water you've ever seen.

It did however cut the noise right down to the point where I was running in engines at 7 and 8pm (in darkness) in a suburban backyard and no one even knew I was doing it!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
earlwb

Outboard boat motors (you know the full size people ride in the boat kinds) use the water as a muffler all the time. It makes for an excellent muffler.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Rendegade

Yeah, I know. I design those things for a living. The ones people ride on that is.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I managed about 12 runs, 2 mins each on my new baby. My camera geeked a little, but I took a short vid during run 5. Not much to watch, it's just running pig rich still. I'm running it wot, and have the needle set as rich as it will run stable. Any richer and it surges a little and has now quit on me twice. 6900-7200rpm is where it's running.

I started out with an empty bucket. There's about an inch of condensate and oil mixed in the bottom of the bucket. I'm goin to add water to the bucket so I can keep running it while the wife sleeps til noon.

Pretty painless. My glow plug is a super trooper. Still looking good after 3/4 of a quart of fuel. This thing restarts like a dream being this rich. I'm really surprised. As good to run or better than my ST 90 which was painless to break in also. I like painless. I'll put that video up later in the morning should someone want to see it.

Edit: Added video. My camera is on the fritz, so towards the end the picture might look green or finally pink.. sorry. I'm going to use another camera for any subsequent videos.

It happily 4-strokes along.. The bucket had nothing in it during my first set of runs, I added water to the second one to see if the noise drops. I'll test it out later this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYqRrlO1FA

Edit #2: Water in bucket, hose submerged about 1". Quieter yet. Mainly prop and carb noise now. Didnt wake my wife up, either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36bpBMQm70I
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

As I run the engine more, I can definitely hear the difference in how it sounds and how it runs after 30 minutes of running. I've had to richen the needle a few times to keep it in the same rich condition. I have noticed some fuel seeping from the main needle threads. Is this normal to see when in a very rich position? Its not dripping or anything but I've seen it look about the same after each run. Just wet.

This thing starts like a dream. I'm amazed.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
earlwb

Yeah it is normal for fuel to seep out of the needle valve. That is the muffler pressure helping to force feed fuel into the engine. What you don't want is the reverse happening where it sucks air instead. Some engines do it more than others. On some engines they have a small O-ring seal to help limit the seepage too. That might be worth checking if it has one on it.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Yeah it is normal for fuel to seep out of the needle valve. That is the muffler pressure helping to force feed fuel into the engine. What you don't want is the reverse happening where it sucks air instead. Some engines do it more than others. On some engines they have a small O-ring seal to help limit the seepage too.
I hadnt had any of my other engines weep like this, though I'm not concerned. I use muffler pressure on all of my engines and just hand noticed it before.

I have about 45 minutes of run time on the SS30 so far. First 30 minutes I kept it below 7100rpm. Its probably overkill, but I ran it 2 minutes at a time and let it cool down between runs. The Cylinder head was maybe just a touch warmer than body temp.

I'm kinda splitting each half hour into sets of 5 runs. Again, its probably overkill but It cant hurt anything. First set of 5 runs after initial 30 minutes I let it go to 7600rpm, and second set I'm going to 8300rpm. The 3rd set I'll go up to about 9100 or so. Once I get to this point, I'll alternate with letting it run into a rich 2-stroke for a minute, then back to a slower richer 4-stroke for the second minute. Depending on how its responding, I'll give it more time in a nice 2-stroke run so at the end of maybe 2 hours total running time I'll be able to peak it out and get some real power numbers. This engine is not loose enough to backflip start yet. Still snug going from BDC towards TDC. Compression is good, but I think it'll get a lot better once the piston actually starts breaking in.

I'm really surprised given the amount of time the engine has ran, it still feels just like it did when it came out of the box. I'm guessing until the temp of the parts are allowed to get higher, the piston and liner fit will get better and better. I've pretty much been following the advice I've been given here and taking it nice and slow. The most surprising part of this little engine is it starts so effortlessly. I cant get over that yet.. It just seems crazy to me.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 AM
CustomPC

I bought an enya SS .45 Ringed from Enya last year, and it seeped fuel at the needle valve.

I looked at the parts list and saw that there was a seal on the diagram which was missing on the engine.

I emailed Enya and got a response almost immediately from Ken Enya saying that they no longer include that seal with new engines as modern machined threads are better than they used to be, but he'd send me one free of charge.

Sure enough, less than a week later i got an envelope from enya with the seal and it was nothing more than a short piece of fuel tubing that slides over the threads before you screw down the needle valve. The tube only needs to be approx 1/4" long.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

There's a 45CX used for sale in the classifieds. I'd snap it up but I used my engine allowance this month. (self imposed)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

There's a 45CX used for sale in the classifieds. I'd snap it up but I used my engine allowance this month. (self imposed)

I love the .45CX. Where is it listed? TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed Cregger
I had seen it in the rcu classifieds this morning but it's gone now. It was listed for $50. I just searched "Enya" in the classified section. I'll pm you if I see it again. I should have taken it when I saw it but I didnt.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed Cregger
I had seen it in the rcu classifieds this morning but it's gone now. It was listed for $50. I just searched ''Enya'' in the classified section. I'll pm you if I see it again. I should have taken it when I saw it but I didnt.

The wife reminded me of the piles of various engines that I have. I really don't need it. Go ahead and get it if you can find it. Thanks for saying, though.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Over the last 4-5 days I've been running my Enya 30SS BB on my test stand getting her all broke in and ready to rock. I have about 1hr 20min of run time on it, using about 3/4 gallon of fuel. I've been slowly leaning it down taking it about 1000rpm higher every 10 minutes. So far I've leaned it down to turn about 11,400rpm for 1 minute, then back down to an 8000rpm 4-stroke for a minute. Cooldown between each run. Since I've had nothing better to do, I've been taking it slow. Just in the last 4-5 runs have I noticed the piston starting to break-in.

I've been running this with a hose into a bucket of water (submerged about 1") off the muffler and today I had a few strange things happen. From a cooled restart, I took it to WOT rich and slowly leaned it down to bring the rpm up. Once I got to the 11,400rpm sweet spot, and left it there for a short time. Then all of the sudden the rpm would shoot up to about 12,500, I immediately richened it up 4-5 clicks which brought the rpm way down to 7800. This happened 2 or 3 times. In the later occurances, I pulled the exhaust hose up to just above the level of the water to see if this would change the behavior and it didnt. I had zero bubbles in the fuel line, the tank was nearly full and set exactly centered with the centerline of the carb. Fuel is 5% nitro 20% castor now (first 1/2 gallon was 25% castor 5% nitro), prop is still the 9x5APC, and glow plug is a MC59 that I started break-in with. It seems to handle the rich mixture just fine, and it idles down to 2300rpm. Is it possible the length of hose is acting like a tuned pipe and unloading the engine a tad at the 12,000rpm mark? I will run it again tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the phenomenon and I'll record it and post a video.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I didnt get as high a jump in rpm as I got yesterday, but there's a couple times you can hear the rpm jump a little. I pinched the fuel line once to make sure it wasnt just leaning out when the rpm spiked, and as you'll hear its still quite rich. In this video, the hose from the muffler is right at the water's surface in the bucket. I thought maybe the glow plug was crapping out, but it seems to be okay. The fuel is a fresh gallon I mixed two days ago. I made another run while this video was uploading with the hose above the water an inch or so, and the rpm seemed more stable, but I still got a 500rpm spike once I got down to 1/2 tank. It seems that this has something to do with it, as well as I'm finding the needle to be a slight issue. wiggling the needle changes the mixture and the rpms change with a piece of fuel tubing on the needle. No more leaks, but I have these goofy rpm spikes. The first time it happened it scared me - I thought it was going to blow up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jb8hDBvj8c

I kept my hand near the needle a lot, but I wasnt adjusting the needle the whole time. Once I got to about 12,400 I quit adjusting it until I got the spike in rpm. Does this thing sound right?

edit:

I ran the engine 3 more times since I took this video this afternoon. The last time I ran it with just the muffler and a chunk of hose about 18" long off the end blowing into the breeze. I tried to set the carb so it would just sit around 13,500rpm and for the first 20 seconds, it did. Then it just took off screaming away at 14,300. Taking the carb 1 click richer didnt drop the rpm much if at all, so a few more clicks and it slowed down to 10,500. leaned it a click or two and back to 13,500. It didnt seem to want to stay in one spot. It just wanted to scream. I should have grabbed a set of ear plugs before I did this. This thing is loud, holy cow! Wow.

I had seen a post or two about these engines not being real linear. I get the idea this might be what was meant by that?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 PM
rcdogie

Hello 1Qwk. I watched the video, when you did the pinch test it revved up then back down and stayed the same for a few seconds. It then revved up to 14100 on its own, To me it sounded like thermal runaway. I have the same engine in the controline version, I ran mine in on 5% nitro 25% castor almost the same way you did. After 2 hours i switched to 5%-22% half and half. With this fuel it would only hold a very rich 2 stroke without running away. I then went back to 5% nitro 25% castor, It now responds to the needle very well you can lean it to within an inch of its life, leave it there, open the needle and it instantly comes back to a nice fast four stroke. Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Mr Cox

It is a little hard to tell with the hose and bucket on the exhaust, but to me it sounds very rich all the time except from when it jumps up in rpm, that's were the engine likes to be in my opinion.

As long as you have full castor in the fuel it can handle a slightly lean run, so set it to keep the high rpm and see what the engine does. If it starts to drop from there, it gets hot and needs more running in (or running at least), but if it can hold the higher rpm it is certainly ready to be used. The leaner runs will give more heat and help to develop a castor varnish on the piston which is what you want, as it protects from direct metal to metal contact.

Wiggling the needle will move the needle in its seat and that can change the fuel flow, without having any leaks.

If the engine is too loud for you then you can use a slightly larger prop to keep the revs down.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Here's my break-in regimen I used on this engine:

2 minute runs with cool-down between runs for 60 minutes run-time.

30 minutes 4-stroke rich, about 6500rpm
10 minutes 4-stroke rich, about 7400rpm
10 minutes 4-stroke rich, about 8300rpm
10 minutes 4-stroke rich, about 9500 with occasional kick into 2-stroke, about 10,500rpm then back to 4-stroke. (1 minute 2-stroke, 1 minute 4-stroke)
10 minutes 4/2 break, occasional kick into 2-stroke at 10,500-11,000rpm

Next set of runs is where I noticed the "runaway" mixture.
10 minutes trying to keep it around 12,500rpm, then back to 4-stroke to cool off
From here it was tough to keep it in one spot, it would run at one rpm for a short while and then the rpm would jump. In the video I think it went up to 14,800 or so.

I can tell the engine isnt totally broke in yet, I havent peaked it yet. I was more or less trying to go in 1000rpm increments, running for 1 minute at this setting, then back to 4-stroke rich to cool off, then shut down for a bit. It definitely wants to scream, but I want to hold back a little as I'm sort-of paranoid. Its stupid, I know.. whatever. Anyway, I noticed when I brought the test stand into the house and I was looking it over and wiping the oil off, that when I wiggled the needle valve a little, I saw bubbles at the banjo fitting butting up to the body of the carburetor. I hadnt seen this before, so I'm going to pull the NVA off and clean/inspect it, and reinstall ensuring a good positive seal. I dont think its sucking air, moreso its just getting to the point its ready to run it up higher. In the last run I made, I took it to 13,500rpm and it stayed there for 10-15 seconds and revved up to over 14,000. I left it there and without touching it, the rpms started to drop back into a really rich 4-stroke and then bounced back into a cleaner 2-stroke at about 10,500. I opened the NV 5-6 clicks and the rpm didnt change. I went 4-5 more and the rpm finally started to drop some, down to about 9200rpm. It kinda went all over the place.

I will re-run this "loudmouth" today with nothing attached to the muffler (with ear plugs this time) and sealed NVA and take another video. I'll also try another glow plug that hasnt seen a gallon of 4-stroke rich operation.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I pulled the NVA off the engine, and found there was no sealing washer between the locking nut on the NVA and the body of the carburetor. I pulled the whole NVA apart, cleaned it out with acetone and reinstalled everything. I cut a new piece of fuel tubing to put on the NV threads that was a little shorter. I used high temp copper RTV silicone sealant on the threads of the NVA where it threads into the carburetor and between the lock nut and carburetor body. This time, I didnt have any spikes in RPM. I leaned the needle down to about 13,400rpm and it stayed there pretty consistently for the remainder of the run until I richened it down to about 10,000rpm to cool it off some and shut it down.

There was 1 small particle that came out on the actual Needle, but it looked like dried oil residue similar to what I found inside the engine. When I cleaned the engine out, I did not clean the carburetor out and I should have. Nonetheless, I've got a few more runs to make to get it peaked and finish the last little bit of break-in. I'll take maybe 1 more video when I get it closer to top rpm and call it good. I'm much happier now since the engine ran, and I used hearing protection. I'm not concerned with the noise, there's about 10 leaf blowers going in my neighborhood right now. I was more concerned with being able to hear this afternoon. For such a little package, this Enya .30 has a mighty bark that my TT .46 cant match.

I'm uploading the video from the run this morning right now, so as soon as its done I'll edit this post and stick a link in here.

Same glow plug as all other runs, same 5/20cas fuel, and 9x5 prop. Once I get it up to peak, I'll do some prop swaps and get some baseline rpm numbers that I can put in the Tach forum since there is only 1 or 2 posts about these little 25/30 Enya's.

Edit: Added video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6p_mgXDpA
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Mr Cox

Good spotting and fixing of the needle problem. Regarding the running-in, don't worry about doing it in steps of 1000rpm that's for petrol engines or something(?).
More importantly, do end each engine run on a fully leaned out setting and then let it cool down. You do want it get it hot in order to get the castor varnish build up, and then you let it cool while being off.
If/when you richen it during the run, it simply cools down during the run and there is then little point in stopping the engine and waiting after that. That's how I reason at least.

To me it only sounds happy when it is in the 14krpm range, I would just leave it there and see what happens. If the revs begin drop, then stop it and let it cool down, and repeat.

The bark comes from the baffle style of scavenging, there is not much to do about it except putting a better, twin chamber, muffler on there. Enya offers special quiet mufflers for the smaller engines, .09-.15, I don't know if they have any for the larger ones too.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Good spotting and fixing of the needle problem. Regarding the running-in, don't worry about doing it in steps of 1000rpm that's for petrol engines or something(?).
More importantly, do end each engine run on a fully leaned out setting and then let it cool down. You do want it get it hot in order to get the castor varnish build up, and then you let it cool while being off.
If/when you richen it during the run, it simply cools down during the run and there is then little point in stopping the engine and waiting after that. That's how reason at least.
I gathered advice over the last couple weeks and Downunder posted a pretty in-depth process and I've been following that. It seemed to make sense. The engine has been responding well, and I can tell the piston and liner fit is getting better. I was able to backflip start it yesterday. A few days ago I couldnt backflip start it - the piston would hit the snug spot in the liner and stop. The snug spot is gone now.

One thing to note and not that it matters, but the few runs I've made today I only dropped the rpm to about 10,500. I had been dropping it down to about 8000rpm the last few days.

I do see your point on cooling it off and then shutting it down being sort-of pointless. Though this way, while its cooling down the rest of the way being shut down gives me time to work on the honey-do list before the wife comes back to town.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Mr Cox

It sounds like you've made a careful running in of the engine, perhaps a little overcareful and not the quickest, but it is better to error on the safe side. My point is that the high revving state is nothing to be afraid of, on the contrary it is the way it should sound. I've had a look at the Enya webshop and it seems like they are offering quiet mufflers for all, or nearly all, of their engines. The one for the SS30 would be the SM251:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82344.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1671686  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

It sounds like you've made a careful running in of the engine, perhaps a little overcareful and not the quickest, but it is better to error on the safe side. My point is that the high revving state is nothing to be afraid, on the contrary it is the way it should sound. I've had a look at the Enya webshop and it seems like they are offering quiet mufflers for all, or nearly all, of their engines. The one for the SS30 would be the SM251:

All along, many have said if one of these engines are broke in properly, they will last nearly forever. That is what I was trying to accomplish. I want to have this engine when I'm 80 (and have it still run). I am done making copious amounts of noise today, but I got 4 or 5 runs on it. It was turning close to 14k the last time I ran it, so I'll give it just a few more flogs a smidge rich from peak rpm and call it good. All of the runs today have been flawless after I cleaned the NVA out. Huge improvement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.