Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

Would be nice to have a stack of boxes like that for real. I just have my one. Need to get the machine tooling so I can make my own replacement parts.

captinjohn, you mess around with casting your own metal parts?

Been thinking about setting up a small smelter in the back yard.

http://www.thefoundryzone.com/Produc...ace_Style2.htm
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Would be nice to have a stack of boxes like that for real. I just have my one. Need to get the machine tooling so I can make my own replacement parts.

I ain't smart enough to do it. If Enya went back into VT 240 production ya think maybe $3,000.00?

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, time to up the ante. How many of you guys (besides Paul and his Staggerwing) that have VT-240s are actually flying them, not just displaying them in your private museum? BTW - I have not flown mine yet.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 AM
AmishWarlord

Look at an OS 300. $1,200.00

So if they still have all the tooling they would be about that price.

No market for it though.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: rrengineer

OK, time to up the ante. How many of you guys (besides Paul and his Staggerwing) that have VT-240s are actually flying them, not just displaying them in your private museum? BTW - I have not flown mine yet.

Not flying mine yet. But going to. Going to design a plane around the engine.

Looks like most people, buy the engine, run it one time, put it away with raw fuel still in it.
Then let it sit for 10 or 15 years.
Next they try to sell it off for $1,000.
Give up and sell it off for $500
New guy tries run it but everything is gummed up.
He takes it apart to clean it but can't get it back together.
Then tries to sell the box of parts for $500

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94075.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1817107  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Ram Jet

I don't know but I have a 1.55 that I just put a Bowman ring in and it's never seen fuel. There are probably a-lot of fuels like me out there. :-o

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 AM
Ram Jet

Not flying mine yet. But going to. Going to design a plane around the engine.

Looks like most people, buy the engine, run it one time, put it away with raw fuel still in it.
Then let it sit for 10 or 15 years.
Next they try to sell it off for $1,000.
Give up and sell it off for $500
New guy tries run it but everything is gummed up.
He takes it apart to clean it but can't get it back together.
Then tries to sell the box of parts for $500

Yea, tell me about it. I have an eBay Enya .46 4C that I installed a Bowman ring in and all new bearings because the previous idiot didn't use after-run oil. Plus the cylinder liner has a small rust pit in it. These people should buy the disposable junk (I won't mention names).

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a dream the other night that I acquired two NIB R120's and somehow commissioned a machinist to make a crankcase to put the two R120 jugs onto. I woke up before I ran the engine.... boo hoo..

Someday, I will own one of the 1000 still NIB VT-240's. Not sure I'd ever fly it, mainly because I dont know if I would have the room for the plane it would have to be mounted to.... But it would be a fantastic engine to have in the collection.

Call it a bucket list item if you will..
Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 AM
jameighan

OK cool dudes,
I now have 3 flights on a 28% Sopwith Pup powered via an Enya VT-240 swinging a Master Airscrew 20x8 prop. With 20/20 fuel, it turns 7,400 rpm, but I have not had a chance to properly adjust the airbleed screws to obtain a low idle. The airbleed vents are set at 50% open and must be reduced to obtain a lower rpm idle and I will complete that soon.

The Pup weights 24 lbs W/O fuel and has 2500 sq of lifting area. I made the exhaust manifolds out of 3/8 copper elbows and had to use silver solder on the joints. I also utilized x2 R120 mufflers with a hard mount to the firewall and 1/2" teflon tubing to couple the mufflers to the copper manifolds. I just didn't want the R120 mufflers hanging on the engine without support. I did not get a chance to measure the sound level yet, but the in air sound is very low with the R-120 mufflers and it had the attention of many club members who love WWI models powered with 60cc to 100cc gasers.

I purchased the engine used as a basket case and did a 100% rebuild approx 5 years ago and it was worth the effort. At that time I was still able to purchase parts from MRC and it's a bummer that they dropped the Enya product line. Also note that one 14oz fuel tank per engine half works great with the muffler vent feeding each tank. Just place your fingers over the muffler outlet and hand crank the prop to prime the carbs, then apply the electric start and you are in business.

After my Concept Models Fleet is completed, I'm planning on a BUSA Fokker DVII which will be powered via an Enya VT-240 with the same muffler/fuel tank/prop combo as on the Sopwith Pup.

FYI,
Jim Meighan
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM
rrengineer

Pictures! Movies! You can't make a claim like that without pictures to back it up. 24 pounds, wow!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That smelter looks like a neat idea. I did read about one some time ago but now I think it would for sure be a good thing to try. If you ever watched the Movie "Worlds Fastest Indian" you can see how Burt melted down Chevy & Ford pistons too make his own pistons. Wellrent the movie....its great to watch and he did set the Worlds record. Capt,n
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM
captinjohn

I was to a fly-in near Rockford Mich several years ago. I got too see a old style race airplane that had a EnyaV240 on it. Man did it sound great. Is was one of the only times I did not have my camera...or I would have taken some photos. I cannot even remember the name of the airplane but it sure did sound & fly good. I wish someone from that area that has any imformatiom about that airplane would post it here. Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I had a dream the other night that I acquired two NIB R120's and somehow commissioned a machinist to make a crankcase to put the two R120 jugs onto. I woke up before I ran the engine.... boo hoo..

Someday, I will own one of the 1000 still NIB VT-240's. Not sure I'd ever fly it, mainly because I dont know if I would have the room for the plane it would have to be mounted to.... But it would be a fantastic engine to have in the collection.

Going to all that trouble. why not two 1.55s. That way you could the have enough engine for an ultralite.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
jameighan

rrengineer,
I just checked my log book from 2007 and found the test stand results with the rebuilt Enya VT-240 at 60 degree F and with a Master Airscrew Classic 20-8 prop. With 10% nitro and 20% oil it measured 6,500 rpm/2000 rpm. With 20% nitro and 20% oil it measured 7,400 rpm/2000 rpm. That's a 900 rpm yield on the high end. I now use 20/20 fuel in all of my four stroke engines and add air tool at the end of the day.

In reference to a video, if I can get one of our members to take it I would love to post it on You-Tube.

Also note that with 2500 sq in of lifting surface with a slow flyer, 24 lbs is no problem. One of the older members told me to fly the 28% Sopwith PUP slower as it was goig too fast.

While I have my sights set on a 1/4 scale BUSA Fokker DVII for next year, I'm also thinking about a Vickers Gun Bus pusher with an Enya VT-240. I have not been able to locate a suitable kit as a wingspan of 90 inches would be perfect for this project. I like to build scale-like (stand-off scale) with good workmanship, but do not want to spend all the time into perfect scale detail.

Vist our club site at www.mcrcs.com and check out some of the photos and videos. We have many more videos to add in the near future.
FYI,
Jim Meighan
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I've posted this before, but for those that like to hear the VT-240 run, here's a short video of my Staggerwing flying

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFGlpwaw6w[/youtube]
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Going to all that trouble. why not two 1.55s. That way you could the have enough engine for an ultralite.

Cheers,
Bill
With Desert Aicraft & so many other 4 stroke gas engines coming on the market, I think Enya would have a very good design if they made a V twin using 2 Enya 1.55 cylinders. Only like the rest of the big engines, have it made to run on gas or at least spark ignition and your choice of fuel type. Capt,n
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM
rrengineer

I've posted this before, but for those that like to hear the VT-240 run, here's a short video of my Staggerwing flying

No link Paul
Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFGlpwaw6w[/youtube]

That's a HOT ship. Reno Air Races anybody? Terrific video!

Cheers,

Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I had a dream the other night that I acquired two NIB R120's and somehow commissioned a machinist to make a crankcase to plut the two R120 jugs onto. I woke up before I ran the engine.... boo hoo..

Cheers,
Bill
I think a 240 sounds better than a 310. That and I don't think they make the R120 anymore. I have a thing for engines that aren't made anymore. Twin .60's would be cool too.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

So here is another of the 1,000. Like someone said earlier, this one ran once and sat for some time and gummed up. A trip out to Bill Jensen for a good cleaning, checkout and test run resulted in a very nice engine. I mounted it to on a display stand (don't do glow anymore). It's sitting on my shelf and looking for a home of the front of an plane...let me know if interested...could be yours!
Murphey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66469.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1817325  
Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Ram Jet

I had a dream the other night that I acquired two NIB R120's and somehow commissioned a machinist to make a crankcase to plut the two R120 jugs onto. I woke up before I ran the engine.... boo hoo..

Cheers,
Bill
I think a 240 sounds better than a 310. That and I don't think they make the R120 anymore. I have a thing for engines that aren't made anymore. Twin .60's would be cool too.
And, probably be a smoother runner (less vibration) also!

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Murphey

So here is another of the 1,000. Like someone said earlier, this one ran once and sat for some time and gummed up. A trip out to Bill Jensen for a good cleaning, checkout and test run resulted in a very nice engine. I mounted it to on a display stand (don't do glow anymore). It's sitting on my shelf and looking for a home of the front of an plane...let me know if interested...could be yours!
Murphey

I ran ito a very savy gent on eBay named Noel Jensen. I wonder if he's any relation? I bought new bearings for my Enya .46 4C from him and had some very interesting conversations with Noel.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Didn't run across a Noel at BJ's Model Engine Service...Just Bill. He did put new bearings in it but I'm pretty sure he got them from Ken Enya.
M
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I got a chance to get out and run my little Enya SS30bb engine today. I really like this engine. It is just an absolute sweetheart of an engine. Even in 40°F weather, it fired off with a flick of the starter. This made my day.

I was going to try to run the 60-4C as well, but ran out of sunlight pretty quickly this afternoon. Hoping to have some time tomorrow or Tuesday to get another run or two in before the white stuff starts piling up.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Ram Jet

I got a chance to get out and run my little Enya SS30bb engine today. I really like this engine. It is just an absolute sweetheart of an engine. Even in 40°F weather, it fired off with a flick of the starter. This made my day.

I was going to try to run the 60-4C as well, but ran out of sunlight pretty quickly this afternoon. Hoping to have some time tomorrow or Tuesday to get another run or two in before the white stuff starts piling up.

I've got a brand new SS.40BB to install in a Brodak Oriental CL. I hope I have the same luck.

Cheers,
Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.