Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember that years ago, they used to not sell the Enya engines with mufflers. This was back when Altech or World Engines were selling the engines here in the USA. You had to buy the muffler separate. Worst was that the mufflers were quite expensive too. Sometimes if the engine was on sale it actually cost about the same as the muffler did at the time. So many people, including me too, went with Slimline or Tatone or Dubro mufflers instead as those mufflers were more inexpensive.

Here are some of my Enya 15's:
You can get a OS muffler to work on the engine too.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
My 15-III requires the strap on muffler, because the exhaust port flanges haven't been drilled through. I don't know if the 15-IV has them drilled through or not. Although it may seem a bother, the Enya strap on muffler works quite well. Regarding a throttle arm, you might be able to modify a spare servo arm to suite. One thing I did notice is that prices are up. Ken's engines don't come with mufflers, and after pricing them with they do cost. For me, E-Bay has been a cost effective choice, even considering a few bad purchases.
If I had a suitable drill press or lathe I'd drill the engine case and bolt a muffler on. Is looks as though it should be drilled, there's an impression on each side of the exhaust port where the holes should be.

I can't imagine these little engines being too offensive with open exhaust..
Like most Enya engines, these don't like much nitro I'd assume?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 AM
earlwb

They didn't start drilling out holes for a bolt on muffler until the Enya .15-5 and SS-15 engines came out. They changed the crankcase mold at the time and it has the through holes a little farther apart than the earlier versions of the engine. I assume that was to allow them to continue to use the strap on mufflers without the straps of course. Technically, there is little reason to switch to bolt on mufflers over the strap on ones except maybe aesthetics.

Well the clubs normally require mufflers now. Usually as long as there is a muffler on the engine it is OK. But there are some areas and locales where the noise restrictions are pretty severe though and those locations can be a real problem. But yes a little .15 isn't all that offensive sounding in the air. The noise levels tend to drop off considerably with some distance. In the past we used to use the Dubro tongue mufflers a lot on the Enya engines. The mufflers had a set of washers and baffles you put onto it. I usually used all of the baffles and washers, so it wasn't doing much to reduce the noise at the time. The Tatone Peace pipe mufflers were quite popular too, as was the Tatone universal manifold thingies. The Tatone Peace Pipe mufflers weren't all that great, but they looked good on the engines though. The Tatone Calumet muffler was another one too.

If I remember right, Brodak was offering some machined one piece tongue mufflers that would fit on the engines too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tatone_peace_pipe_muffler.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2014627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tatone_universal_muffler.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2014648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tatone_calumet_muffler.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2014649  

Last edited by earlwb; 07-16-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the web page hasn't been updated in a while, but...Stuka Stunt Works has the Tongue style mufflers listed...the best thing about them is they are light weight.
http://www.clstunt.com/products.htm

C/L venturis available too...among other things.

Last edited by proptop; 07-16-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

earlwb has a good point, one is not limited to only Enya mufflers. Any of suitable chamber size and exhaust opening can be adapted if the bolt locations or re-drilled bolt locations are past the exhaust outlet ears. Here is an example of a Testors McCoy .40 Series 21 Black Head with a YS muffler adapted to it.

I've got a Tatone Peacepipe 09-19 muffler on my 09-III TV, it works fine. That muffler has a small chamber, would be IMO marginal on a .15 and too restrictive on a .19 engine. I've flown this engine with this muffler, and it works out really well for the smaller .09 engine.

Here, I have a Tatone 09-19 Calumet muffler with restrictive baffles and has hardly any expansion chamber. It would probably work on a .15, but one must grind away the internal baffles to reduce the restrictions, otherwise it overheats the engine and ruins it. (Many a modeler ruined a good engine in the 1960's and 1970's by using these.) Second photo, I started "Dremel'ing" away the baffles (photo shows in progress, not completed), leaving portions in place to support the center bolt so it doesn't collapse the aluminum casting when tightened. End result was a tongue muffler for a Testors McCoy 19 Red Head, but in removing restrictions with additional hole drilling rendered it ineffective as a silencer. I plan to plug the holes using JB Weld and try it on my other Enya 15-III TV.

Here, I bought an M153 muffler off E-Bay for a song, but it was missing the bolts and strap. I had two spare bolts of correct size and made a strap by cutting to size and drilling a piece of galvanized steel pipe (or vehicle muffler) hanging strap. This Enya 15-III TV currently sits on the nose of my Sig Wonder.

Regarding cheap Enya engines, here I picked up an Enya 35-III TV for $20 shipping included off E-Bay. It has tight compression but was missing the proper 7x1mm prop nut which I replaced. I added an Enya muffler I had on hand to complete it.

Name:	Enya .19-VI TV Tatone EM-4 Muffler Apart.JPG
Views:	1027
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2014666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tatone EM-4 Baffles Removed.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2014667   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-19 Calumet Muffler Converted to Tongue.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2014668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya35 w-New Prop Nut.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2014669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya15III w-Improv Muffler Strap.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2014674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eny09TV w-Peace Pipe2.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2014678   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy 40-BH w-YS Muffler.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2014689   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy 40-BH w-YS Muffler Back.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	2014690  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 07-16-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Improved clarification and better accuracy.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I know other mufflers will fit but without knowing exactly which ones fit, I don't want to gamble. I found a pair of Enya mufflers on eBay for a good price but they aren't the same size. Which is fine because a buddy of mine has a small strap on Enya muffler I picked up at a local shop for $5 that was NIP. It's probably the 154 muffler and had the strap
and bolts. We put it on a 19 V Enya but right now it's sitting in a box in his basement so perhaps that and one of the 2 mufflers I'm bidding on will be the same size. Ideally I'd like to put these engines on a twin engine plane and thus want both mufflers to be the same so both engines perform similarity.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is an expensive alternative, but I've often wondered how those little Enyas would run with one of these: http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...mageField.y=14

Must have 2X to 3X the volume of a standard Enya 15-19 size muffler. I think those Enya mufflers are pretty restrictive and also not very quiet. Good enough for the sport models I use them on, and yes, at a distance the noise is not bad, but I'd love to see what difference a Bisson would make. Anyone tried it?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM
earlwb

Those Bisson sport mufflers are great. I used a big one on a 1.20 size two stroke engine and the muffler worked really well. So the little .20 size muffler would work good too. The mufflers have a nice large volume expansion chamber on them.

Here is a pic of the Bisson Sport muffler on a GMS 1.20 engine I was tinkering around with. It also fits a Webra 1.20 too. It has a nice large expansion chamber with plenty of volume to it.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM
earlwb

We used to use the tongue mufflers on the Enya engines a lot in the past as they were cheap compared to how much the Enya muffler cost and the performance seemed about the same too, as the Enya mufflers were quite restrictive. Using some aluminum bar stock one could actually make DIY tongue mufflers like the Slimline versions using a hack saw, hand files and a drill press. The angled Dubro muffler was interesting in that it used a spring inside as the baffles. You would turn a screw to compress the spring to reduce noise and increase muffler pressure as desired.

The Dubro Muffler "Muffl'Air' were popular at the time. The one with the stack of baffles was always pretty good to use. Granted the tongue mufflers were restrictive and didn't reduce the noise much, but they were light in weight and didn't have much aerodynamic drag to them.

Last edited by earlwb; 07-16-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
buzzard bait

Earl, thanks for the comments. I picked up a Bisson 60 size sport strap-on for my old Enya 60s but have not tried it yet. My 60 II has a really small stock muffler and my 60 III didn't have any at all, so the Bisson will definitely get used.

I may spring for the little one too one of these days.

Jim
Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
earlwb

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I know other mufflers will fit but without knowing exactly which ones fit, I don't want to gamble. I found a pair of Enya mufflers on eBay for a good price but they aren't the same size. Which is fine because a buddy of mine has a small strap on Enya muffler I picked up at a local shop for $5 that was NIP. It's probably the 154 muffler and had the strap
and bolts. We put it on a 19 V Enya but right now it's sitting in a box in his basement so perhaps that and one of the 2 mufflers I'm bidding on will be the same size. Ideally I'd like to put these engines on a twin engine plane and thus want both mufflers to be the same so both engines perform similarity.
I should mention that the "new" unused Tatone mufflers need to be filed out or dremeled to fit the engines. They deliberately leave the exhaust inlet small so it can be custom fitted to most any engine,
Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
GallopingGhostler

I really like the Tatone Peace Pipe mufflers because they do work. However, they have relatively small chambers and are thus overstated. Here, I used a 29-40 Peace Pipe for an Enya 19-VI TV, although the smaller one says for .09 to .19 engines. With that muffler it silences effectively but doesn't restrict it like the smaller one. Included are photos showing the mufflers side by side.

Name:	Enya19-VI w-PeacePipe.JPG
Views:	853
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2014838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Vs Small Peace Pipe Top.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2014839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Vs Small Peace Pipe Bottom.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2014840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Vs Small Peace Pipe End.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2014841  
Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Here is my pair of .15IV's. The one on the left has some time on it, enough to have carbon built up on the piston. The one on the right sans carburetor is nearly new inside with a noticeable pinch at TDC. No carbon anywhere. It has run, but barely. Compression is good in his one and okay in the other. Both should be good runners once I get the parts to complete them.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2014848  
Old 07-17-2014, 06:38 PM
buzzard bait

A pinch? This is an iron piston engine. There shouldn't be any pinch.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 PM
GallopingGhostler

He probably meant by "pinch" that it has very good compression. If he moves the carburettor over to the one with stronger compression and receives back the muffler he loaned to a friend, then he would have a very good engine to break in. The other one, I'd buy a CL venturi and NVA, mount it in something with about 300 square inches wing area, and fly it on 60 feet cables, have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
A pinch? This is an iron piston engine. There shouldn't be any pinch.
With the head off, the piston will get stuck at TDC. It starts to get snug about 1/8" from the top of the cylinder. Yes I know it's an iron piston engine, but it has a pinch! My SS30bb had a pinch at TDC as well. After break-in it went away of course.

Ghoster: I'm not a CL guy, I'm strictly RC. I've wanted to have a twin engine something for a long time. I have a pair of K&B sportster .65 engines as well but the plane I'd need to build to house two of those would be huge. A twin .15 sized plane would be more reasonable for a first twin project. IMO.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 AM
GallopingGhostler

It's probably not unusual that Enya with its later engines would go to a mild tapered bore. They are still manufacturing cross scavenge engines (as well as Schneurle). I've noticed other .15's going for a song on E-Bay. Perhaps it may be worth it to purchase another engine, but this time complete? Use the incomplete one as a parts engine or strip others to complete it?

There are a good number of .15 sized twins on Outerzone for scratch building.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

It's probably not unusual that Enya with its later engines would go to a mild tapered bore. They are still manufacturing cross scavenge engines (as well as Schneurle). I've noticed other .15's going for a song on E-Bay. Perhaps it may be worth it to purchase another engine, but this time complete? Use the incomplete one as a parts engine or strip others to complete it?

There are a good number of .15 sized twins on Outerzone for scratch building.
I'm eyeing a NIB .15IV and a nearly new .15IV in boxes with carbs and mufflers for cheap right now. If the price stays right, I'll jump on them. I grabbed these other ones because I know parts are easily found for them since there's so many of them out there.

What are the differences between the different sub models (I, II, III, IV, etc.)?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'll add a question; do these little .15's prefer to rev like many Enyas? What props are ideal? I'm much more accustomed to larger engines .29+ so an 8x6 is he smallest prop I've spun though I did get some 7x3 wood and 6x4 APC props. Maybe a 7x4?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
earlwb

I usually ran 7x5, 7x6 props on my .15's. Of course 8x3 for RC combat and 8x4 tops for some planes.

Last edited by earlwb; 07-18-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM
steve111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying CL, I'd regard a 7x4 as too small for something like an Enya 15. Most glow 15s, I'd be looking at something like an 8x4. The Enya 15s, though, are quite torquey compared with their counterparts (eg Max 15), and Enya suggest an 8x5 or 8x6. Maybe a 7x6 if you want more speed.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any possibility of finding a place to fly that does not require a muffler for that size engine?

George
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM
earlwb

Originally Posted by gcb
Any possibility of finding a place to fly that does not require a muffler for that size engine?

George
Not likely in NY or back east for that matter, too crowded back there. Out west or in the Southwest areas would be your best bet where it is less crowded. But maybe if someone had a large farm, and a place you could fly at, you could do it sans muffler. But any of the AMA Club fields all would have a muffler rule. Of course if you find a location where they will let you fly a pulse jet OK, then I think a engine sans muffler would be a no brainer.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

I've found that for my Enya 09-III TV, a wood Top Flite 7x6 prop does well. With a 7x3 it just didn't put out much thrust, so 049 like. The higher pitched prop did the trick. Also it became a much easier to adjust beast when I went to wood, made starting and tuning much easier. For the Enya 09-III, Peter Chin observed that props smaller than 7x4 were of no advantage, as power fell off at the higher RPM's. I suppose the same is true of the Enya 15-III. There would be no need to go smaller than 8x4.

My Enya 15-III TV with an 8x6 Masters plastic prop puts out the same amount of thrust as my OS Max 15FP-S with 8x4 Masters.

Regarding differences between models, Enya continued to make various improvements to improve power output. The IV puts out a touch more power than the III, and etc. But the Enya III's are decent engines by all means, I am quite happy with mine. I've got three sizes, 09, 15 and 35.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding differences between models, Enya continued to make various improvements to improve power output. The IV puts out a touch more power than the III, and etc. But the Enya III's are decent engines by all means, I am quite happy with mine. I've got three sizes, 09, 15 and 35.
One significant difference between the Enya 09 IV and previous versions is that they moved the exhaust stack to the other side. Because of this, sometimes it is not just a drop-in replacement.

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.