Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Aaron L.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Tim, it took 25 minutes to sell my Enya .80, my last Enya.

I'm bummed that I just missed that one. That was a good deal. Would like to pick up a good .80/.90/.120/R120/R155 Enya four stroke without having to pay an eBay price for it. Patience will pay off. It's a want rather than a need...

Would like to land a VT240, but that would take an enormous amount of luck (or way more $ than I wanna spend).

Also on the hunt for an .80X.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Maybe another option, Red Max is very good fuel, both glow and Diesel.

http://fhsoils.com/product/fc-fuels/
Thanks, I forgot about Red Max after they stopped selling diesel fuel, but I see they still sell glow, any way you want it.

Jim
Old 10-20-2016, 02:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron L.
I'm bummed that I just missed that one. That was a good deal. Would like to pick up a good .80/.90/.120/R120/R155 Enya four stroke without having to pay an eBay price for it. Patience will pay off. It's a want rather than a need...

Would like to land a VT240, but that would take an enormous amount of luck (or way more $ than I wanna spend).

Also on the hunt for an .80X.
I wish I was willing to part with some of mine - I have a 46, 60, and R120 4-cycles and recently got a SS40, SS35 Heli, and a 40CX among others. The R120 is a powerhouse!

I want to find a 21CX for my little 31" mono hull boat.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:17 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Sig does not sell all castor fuel in anything but gallons, which means huge shipping cost. I buy quarts of Sig Champion 5% and add some castor to it for my old engines. Jim
Sharps motorcycle dealer in Amarillo sells 1 quart bottles of Klotz Racing Castor Oil. I mix that with off-the-shelf RC fuel for my older engines, gives me about 25% oil with over 50% as Castor.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:56 PM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Even with the bigger carb and weight loss, it doesn't make any more power than a stock engine... Is the weight loss surgery solely to lower the vibration/reciprocating weight? Why the bigger carb?

The work looks nice on the piston, but perhaps the combustion chamber could use some smoothing?

I get 11,700rpm with my stock (airbleed carb) 60-4C on a 11x7 APC and 10% nitro. The lack of a muffler (vented fuel tank) makes the idle require being a bit rich for good throttling, but it's a good runner. Idles down to 2,300-2,400.
1)my main objective with the "surgery" was to minimize nitro and vibrations
2) my prop was slightly misstated - I got 11.100/2500 with a 11 x 7 3/4 Kavan prop.
3) Yes, power is not markedly increased when using 5% nitro as compared to 10-15% nitro in a stock engine
4) Saito carb was rather chosen for its twin "needle" function (and I happened to have a few lying around)
5) I´m not yet through with my "surgery" on this engine, my aim is to create a more "hemi-like" combustion chamber and to further increase compression and lower nitro content.
6) OK, promise to polish the head inner surface better next time.....!

This is my first major surgery with an 4C engine having a "wedge-shaped" head rather that the "hemi-heds" om Saito:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...-saito-4s.html
...and the result is still mixed.........although my Enya certainly purrs like a kitten now..
Old 10-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Edit by back spacing the whole thing until it's gone then type "Please Delete" and it will be deleted by a Moderator.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

canardlover, another option is you could hit the black triangle with "!" inside it (report post) to the lower left of the message, explain briefly why (duplicate post) and admin will delete.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by canardlover
1)my main objective with the "surgery" was to minimize nitro and vibrations
2) my prop was slightly misstated - I got 11.100/2500 with a 11 x 7 3/4 Kavan prop.
3) Yes, power is not markedly increased when using 5% nitro as compared to 10-15% nitro in a stock engine
4) Saito carb was rather chosen for its twin "needle" function (and I happened to have a few lying around)
5) I´m not yet through with my "surgery" on this engine, my aim is to create a more "hemi-like" combustion chamber and to further increase compression and lower nitro content.
6) OK, promise to polish the head inner surface better next time.....!

This is my first major surgery with an 4C engine having a "wedge-shaped" head rather that the "hemi-heds" om Saito:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...-saito-4s.html
...and the result is still mixed.........although my Enya certainly purrs like a kitten now..

PS...Jacob Wetterling sounds very swedish...DS
I haven't found more than a 200-300rpm gain for every 5% nitro I add to the fuel in many of the engines I've run. Some engines have a marked effect from more nitro, but they are few. The 60-4C is not a huge responder to nitro. I typically use 5% nitro in them as well though they seem to idle a little better and transition a bit cleaner with a touch more nitro.

Whatever the case, I'd expect with such a weight loss, it ought to *at least* spool up a fair bit quicker even it if doesn't make more power. FWIW, Downunder did some work on a 2-stroke Enya some time to and found the optimum compression ratio for FAI 80/20 fuel to be in the realm of 12.8:1-13.2:1 IIRC - so if 5% nitro is what you intend to run, you should probably shoot for somewhere in the 10:1-11:1 CR area..

Jacob Wetterling (not sure if his families' genealogy, but he was abducted near his home in 1989 and only until very recently did they find out that he'd died the night he was abducted and buried not far from his home. The statute of limitations was up, so the murderer couldn't get tried for the muffler or kidnapping. The sick ******* should burn at the stake.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Nitrovein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's no wedge head, that's a bathtub head, and it ain't much you can do about that. You can't make it to another head type without extensive modifications.
Your modifications are going in two directions at the same time also, you might wanna read up on what you're doing.

What balancing factor have you used for the crank?
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 AM
canardlover

Thanks George and Dave, accidental duplication should be fixed soon../canardlover
Old 10-24-2016, 03:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Nitrovein
That's no wedge head, that's a bathtub head, and it ain't much you can do about that. You can't make it to another head type without extensive modifications.
Your modifications are going in two directions at the same time also, you might wanna read up on what you're doing.

What balancing factor have you used for the crank?
It was a wedge head, not sure if he helped it any as he cut away the squish area which would have helped atomize the fuel mixture.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 AM
canardlover

Well, yes Sport_Pilot ,but the original "squish band" was way too deep in the stock head to give any appreciable "squish band effect". In that respect I think "bathtub" is a fitting term as suggested by Nitrovein. Furthermore I now obtain a new squish band area depending on the exact thickness and width of my head shim. My other altenative to increase CR would be to fabricate a longer conrod. Did that on one Saito.50 as described in the cited Saito thread above. In there are also the answers to Nitrovein and 1QwkSport2.5R..../cheers
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Nitrovein

Well, yes Sport_Pilot ,but the original "squish band" was way too deep in the stock head to give any appreciable "squish band effect". In that respect I think "bathtub" is a fitting term as suggested by Nitrovein. Furthermore I now obtain a new squish band area depending on the exact thickness and width of my head shim. My other altenative to increase CR would be to fabricate a longer conrod. Did that on one Saito.50 as described in the cited Saito thread above. In there are also the answers to Nitrovein and 1QwkSport2.5R..../cheers

I didn't find answers when going through that thread, point out which "#" if you don't wont to write it again.

And now I definitely think you should read up on what your doing, especially when you don't mind experimenting and seem to have machines to simplify some work, theoretical knowledge should help you bring things together.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think the idea of a wedge squish band is to push a wave of mixture toward the spark or glow plug. Same with a hemi head which is why the squish band is a circle in a hemi. I tried to research this many years ago well before the web, and found not much published on this. It seems to defy calculations for proper squish band and is either copied from successful designs or by trial and error. But that was before the web and it may be easier to find this information now.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Nitrovein

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think the idea of a wedge squish band is to push a wave of mixture toward the spark or glow plug. Same with a hemi head which is why the squish band is a circle in a hemi. I tried to research this many years ago well before the web, and found not much published on this. It seems to defy calculations for proper squish band and is either copied from successful designs or by trial and error. But that was before the web and it may be easier to find this information now.
The old type of hemi heads didn't have any squish, that's why they where terrible on fuel and needed more advance in the ignition.
They have made hemi heads with squish pads that works better.
You can look at the wedge heads on V8 and see how they have changed over the years, the development seems never ending.
Today they use CFD for 4 stroke head design, it's easy to do early in the development, and the good part is that it starts to be available for consumer. For 2 strokes it's much easier.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM
canardlover

Originally Posted by Nitrovein
I didn't find answers when going through that thread, point out which "#" if you don't wont to write it again.

And now I definitely think you should read up on what your doing, especially when you don't mind experimenting and seem to have machines to simplify some work, theoretical knowledge should help you bring things together.
Balance is treated in post #107 at the very end.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM
canardlover

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Squish bands of 0.5 to 0.7mm seems to work well in Saitos as seen from the discussion with "downunder" in posts #77 to #81. So that is what I opt for in the Enya too. Presently I have a 0.95mm shim in it which we all think is too much for effective squish band effect. Now after I have removed more material from the "bathtub/wedge" (whatever) head to again lower CR I envision to put in my 0.5mm shim again and hope the prop will stay in place..!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Nitrovein

Balance is treated in post #107 at the very end.
It said nothing about what I asked there.
But never mind, I guess you're just not the theoretical type of person. One can have fun even in darkness, sort of speak...

Good luck with your adventures!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 PM
canardlover

Experts seem to agree that a balance factor of 65% is to be aimed at. As seen from post #107 it is not possible to come even close to that by only removing weight from the reciprocating parts. Remains the possibility to add wolfram to the counterweight but that is certainly not easy. I have access to a wolfram wire but drilling the correct size hole in a Saito or Enya crank counterbalance has made me hesitate so far. Still on my "to do list" though...!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:08 AM
Nitrovein

What expert recommends 65% for this type of engine?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:44 PM
canardlover

Wink

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I haven't found more than a 200-300rpm gain for every 5% nitro I add to the fuel in many of the engines I've run. Some engines have a marked effect from more nitro, but they are few. The 60-4C is not a huge responder to nitro. I typically use 5% nitro in them as well though they seem to idle a little better and transition a bit cleaner with a touch more nitro.

Whatever the case, I'd expect with such a weight loss, it ought to *at least* spool up a fair bit quicker even it if doesn't make more power. FWIW, Downunder did some work on a 2-stroke Enya some time to and found the optimum compression ratio for FAI 80/20 fuel to be in the realm of 12.8:1-13.2:1 IIRC - so if 5% nitro is what you intend to run, you should probably shoot for somewhere in the 10:1-11:1 CR area..

Jacob Wetterling (not sure if his families' genealogy, but he was abducted near his home in 1989 and only until very recently did they find out that he'd died the night he was abducted and buried not far from his home. The statute of limitations was up, so the murderer couldn't get tried for the muffler or kidnapping. The sick ******* should burn at the stake.
I´m still haunted by your 11.700 rpm on the APC 11x7 so I attempted today to match that. Mounted the 0.5 mm shim which in combination with the slightly recessed piston crown some (0.3mm below the liner surface-see pic) should produce a partial squish band of approx. 0.8mm.
With a RAM 11x7 prop and muffler removed I got a steady 11.300rpm on 5% nitro and a steady 11.100 on 0% nitro confirming your figures quoted. Well, I will leave the engine as is for now and contemplate my next move to catch you. It may even take another carb switch to do it......!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	enya m. 0.5mm shim.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2187640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya+YS.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2187641  
Old 10-26-2016, 12:52 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I guess I'm of the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school, why all this mania about modifying heads and adding spacers to a perfectly good running engines for such a small gain in RPM? Seems to be it would be better if the engine is not producing enough power for the airplane its on to just switch it out and use the current engine on something else? I still believe Enya knew what they were doing when they designed it and it will run longer and more reliably left original.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

My Enya 60-4C is bone stock, about 3 gallons through it. What's my secret? Simple fuel. Nitro, methanol, and castor. Enya 3 or Fox idle bar glow plugs are the ticket. No other glow plug has given better performance in my Enya 4-cycles. You might see a few more peak rpm using a fuel with synthetic oil, but not much. I haven't even put a bowman ring in my .60 yet which I have a spare of.

My Mk I 46-4C turned 13,350 on a 10x6APC on 5% nitro after about 45 minutes on the bench. Not sure if that's great or not - and I know it's a small prop. I wouldn't fly it with that prop. Max rpm for the .46 is 14,000rpm FWIW.

Whats odd odd is most of the time, I get lower rpm figures than folks do further south or west (close to sea level). I'm about 850 feet ASL.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Is Fox still making glow plugs or did they go the way of the Fox Engines?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tower shows most things Fox as being discontinued. If I can locate some Miracle plugs I'll grab them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.