Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 115 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3519

Thread: Club FOX!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Club FOX!

Does Fox make a carburetor with a neck size of .590" (that goes into the engine) and a venturi of 10mm or larger? My ST S90 needs a bigger carb so it can breathe better. The S90 has the same exact carb as the Italian G51. 9mm venturi. I don't recall if they share the same neck size, but I know the .90 is .590".

If Fox doesnt make one, I'll probably track down a Jett carb.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Fox .45, .50, .60 and .74 engines all use the same flange mount carb. They do not make a round base carb that can be inserted into the engine type of carb in this size range. The small frame .40 engines use a square base carb for inserting into a square hole in the engine crankcase (an adaptation from the Fox .36 combat engine days). What I did was make an adapter for the Fox carb to insert into a hole like shown in the pic above.

Oh yeah the carb has approximately an 8mm venturi bore to it ( about 0.300 inches).

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

The Fox .45, .50,Β* .60 and .74 engines all use the same flange mount carb. They do not make a round base carb that can beΒ* inserted into the engine type of carb in this size range. The small frame .40 engines use a square base carb for inserting into a square hole in the engine crankcase (an adaptation from the Fox .36 combat engine days). What I did was make an adapter for the Fox carb to insert into a hole like shown in the pic above.

Oh yeah the carb has approximately an 8mm venturi bore to itΒ* ( about 0.300 inches).

I thought Fox had a round neck carburetor these days... I stand corrected. I may have to source an ASP 108 carb, or get one from Dub. I'd rather have one of Dub's carbs though.

Hopefully next year I'll have some spare money to turn in my twice killed Fox .40 small case in exchange for a Fox .60.

Thanks for sharing the info, Earl. I'll keep looking...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: earlwb

The Fox .45, .50,Β* .60 and .74 engines all use the same flange mount carb. They do not make a round base carb that can beΒ* inserted into the engine type of carb in this size range. The small frame .40 engines use a square base carb for inserting into a square hole in the engine crankcase (an adaptation from the Fox .36 combat engine days). What I did was make an adapter for the Fox carb to insert into a hole like shown in the pic above.

Oh yeah the carb has approximately an 8mm venturi bore to itΒ* ( about 0.300 inches).

I thought Fox had a round neck carburetor these days... I stand corrected. I may have to source an ASP 108 carb, or get one from Dub. I'd rather have one of Dub's carbs though.

Hopefully next year I'll have some spare money to turn in my twice killed Fox .40 small case in exchange for a Fox .60.

Thanks for sharing the info, Earl. I'll keep looking...
    If you can get yourself down to ASP level, you can get carbs dirt cheap from Hobby City/King or HobbyPartz.
    Content, but not Complacent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HSukaria - I am not ultra fond of the idea of using a "cheap" carb, but I'm not totally opposed to it. I am in the market for a good 2-needle carb that works well and has a larger Venturi than stock. The ASP 108 carb is said to add 1000rpm, and a good tuner muffler/MCP will add another 1000rpm. We'll see how far I actually get on this.

My buddy needs stuff from HP/HK so I might tack a carb on his order to combine shipping.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HSukaria - I am not ultra fond of the idea of using a ''cheap'' carb, but I'm not totally opposed to it. I am in the market for a good 2-needle carb that works well and has a larger Venturi than stock. The ASP 108 carb is said to add 1000rpm, and a good tuner muffler/MCP will add another 1000rpm. We'll see how far I actually get on this.

My buddy needs stuff from HP/HK so I might tack a carb on his order to combine shipping.
    Sounds interesting. I wonder how the throttle response and tank pressurization will be with a big venturi.

I was just cracking up because your two choices included the cheapest and (possibly) one of the most expensive carbs out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

HSukaria - I am not ultra fond of the idea of using a ''cheap'' carb, but I'm not totally opposed to it. I am in the market for a good 2-needle carb that works well and has a larger Venturi than stock. The ASP 108 carb is said to add 1000rpm, and a good tuner muffler/MCP will add another 1000rpm. We'll see how far I actually get on this.

Sounds interesting. I wonder how the throttle response and tank pressurization will be with a big venturi.

I was just cracking up because your two choices included the cheapest and (possibly) one of the most expensive carbs out there.
    Well, an OS 7D fits the ST 90 but they're very hard to find and expensive, possibly more costly than a Jett carb. The reason I'd lean towards the 7D or Jett carb is A) they're proven to work well and B) the .590" neck size is common among many engines so it could be used on more than one engine. I know the quality is hit and miss with Magnum/ASP in the carb department so I'm a little leary of that. (I would prefer to support US companies if possible, another reason for thinking Fox or Jett). The crankshaft has a pretty healthy sized hole (I forget the exact size) that is a good bit larger than the carb throat. So I'm not real concerned with fuel draw. If I went to a 12mm or larger carb then I can see a problem arising.

Anyway, this was an idea I've kicked around for awhile. Not sure ill do anything just yet.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, an OS 7D fits the ST 90 but they're very hard to find and expensive, possibly more costly than a Jett carb. The reason I'd lean towards the 7D or Jett carb is A) they're proven to work well and B) the .590'' neck size is common among many engines so it could be used on more than one engine. I know the quality is hit and miss with Magnum/ASP in the carb department so I'm a little leary of that. (I would prefer to support US companies if possible, another reason for thinking Fox or Jett). The crankshaft has a pretty healthy sized hole (I forget the exact size) that is a good bit larger than the carb throat. So I'm not real concerned with fuel draw. If I went to a 12mm or larger carb then I can see a problem arising.

Anyway, this was an idea I've kicked around for awhile. Not sure ill do anything just yet.
    The ASP carbs from HK are so cheap, it won't hurt to try.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I kinda figured. I will look into it when I'm off work.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

while you're at it, check out their dirt-cheap glow plugs. I wonder if they are any good. Has anybody tested the HK plugs?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

while you're at it, check out their dirt-cheap glow plugs. I wonder if they are any good. Has anybody tested the HK plugs?
    I'll check with my buddy and see if be has used them or not. He's been modeling longer than I have. I know he likes HK's cheap servos.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I find the Perry section at Conley Precision to be a wealth of carb sizing info while indicating compatibilty between engine makes. I have tried just about every engine / carb combination in my stable. I am fortunate to have a huge collection to use for reference. I do the same with compatible mufflers. Sometimes the results are very rewarding.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

I find the Perry section at Conley Precision to be a wealth of carb sizing info while indicating compatibilty between engine makes. I have tried just about every engine / carb combination in my stable. I am fortunate to have a huge collection to use for reference. I do the same with compatible mufflers. Sometimes the results are very rewarding.
    I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the tip.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got to read part of the owner's manual for my Fox 74 online. One interesting trick it mentions is to tune the HSN for max power while the glow starter is connected, then noting if the rpms drop after removing the glow starter. The manual states that if the rpms drop after removing the starter, that indicates that the fuel needs more nitro.

Maybe you guys knew that, but I guess I shoulda read the manual.[&o]

Another interesting fact in the manual is that it claims that the 74 can turn a 14x6 prop. I tried a 13x6 before, but I had other issues to work out with the engine. I will try to do some more tuning to see how big a prop I can run. I like bigger props on my planes up to a point. I am running 12x6 now, but would like to go back to 13x6 later on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the link, Turbo. I looked at the site and based on what 1QwkSport2.5r is looking for, he will need to use a pump carb with a Perry pump. The size of venturi he is looking for is around 9.5 - 10mm, which only comes as a pump carb.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got to read part of the owner's manual for my Fox 74 online. One interesting trick it mentions is to tune the HSN for max power while the glow starter is connected, then noting if the rpms drop after removing the glow starter. The manual states that if the rpms drop after removing the starter, that indicates that the fuel needs more nitro.

Maybe you guys knew that, but I guess I shoulda read the manual.[&o]

Another interesting fact in the manual is that it claims that the 74 can turn a 14x6 prop. I tried a 13x6 before, but I had other issues to work out with the engine. I will try to do some more tuning to see how big a prop I can run. I like bigger props on my planes up to a point. I am running 12x6 now, but would like to go back to 13x6 later on.
    Thats really interesting. I would think that most engines would drop rpm some if setting the needle that way - since the plug is hotter, the ignition is advanced to the max. I am going to run an engine or two after dinner tonight and I might try that trick if I have time. I am going to see if I can snap a photo of the fuel droplets coming out of the carb with the engine running like Earl did. (and its an excuse to test out a few of my other props that I rebalanced.)

Thanks for the link, Turbo. I looked at the site and based on what 1QwkSport2.5r is looking for, he will need to use a pump carb with a Perry pump. The size of venturi he is looking for is around 9.5 - 10mm, which only comes as a pump carb.
    I think he meant to use their table for reference as to what size carbs fit what engines..? I don't believe a ST S.90 is going to need a pump to run a 10-11mm carb. Its been brought up (again, sorry this isn't specifically Fox related..) that the G90 will gain 1000rpm with a ASP 108 carb.. That carb is bigger in the venturi department but there was never any word of using a pump. I do have a Perry VP30 pump if I needed it, but I doubt I would.

I thought about modifying the carb thats on the engine, but I really don't want to muck it up as its an Italian carb that I dont want to go "too far" with. I find it interesting that the G51 and S90 have the same carb. That would explain part of the G51's ability to really snort. Rumor had it some folks were running 12x6's on them...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the Italian G51 with the bad main bearing I was able to run 13x4 prop with 5% and a lot of extra castor. I got about 10K rpms. Not bad, eh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I always thought that if you lost a lot of rpm when you removed the glow starter, your glow plug to nitro was off. You can change nitro content, or change glow plugs. Remember that lower nitro fuels use hotter plugs and high nitro use cooler plugs.

The addition of nitro also adds the benefit of bring more air to the mixture that changes the setting. I have seen that cure some bad carb habits in some problematic carbs. I use the smallest amount of nitro I can get by with. Part of my logic is just in case Glow fuel gets next to impossible to order / buy, so I have to mix my own. I am teaching myself to brew my own fuels as we speak. I even mix 15% with methonal and oil to lessen the nitro content. I hope I am doing all of this for nothing, but I mean to be able to run my glow engines thats what I bought them for...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Typically, I run 5% nitro 20% castor in most of my engines. I run 25% castor in my lapped iron/steel engines, and my bushed crankshaft engines. Nitro is expensive, so I try to use as little as possible. I've noted a 500-800rpm loss when running FAI fuel (true 80/20) even with some acetone in it, so I went back to 5%. I have tried higher nitro in my Enya 4-stroke .60, but it didnt run any faster or better with more nitro so I went back to my normal mix. I have been mixing my own fuel for two years now because a gallon of glow fuel costs me at minimum $32. My car fuel with 20% nitro and 12% oil is about $37 a gallon. Mixing my own, fuel costs me between $8 and $12 a gallon. I think I burned 6-7 gallons of fuel this year (about half of that was breaking in engines.. )

I went out to run the G51 some more, trying to get a picture of the carb "spitting", but none of my pictures captured the spitting fuel like Earl was able to capture. I was using a 1600 ISO setting as well.

Hsukaria - before I ran out of light for my tach to work, I ran a 10x6 APC on the little G51 and got 14,460rpm on 5% nitro 20% oil at 50/50 blend of castor/synthetic. (using up some experimental fuel). I also tried an 11x9 and 11x6 but it seemed overpropped with both of these props. The needle had to be very rich on the top, but transition ended up being pretty rich. I also tried the Fox method for setting the needle, and I lost almost 1000rpm when I removed the glow driver. The plug I was using was the same plug I broke the engine in on, which was used and abused to start with. I think it is a medium or medium/hot plug; not my normal hot plug that I usually use. Tomorrow, pending the rainstorm, I will try again with a new plug and my normal 20% castor fuel and run a few props.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Typically, I run 5% nitro 20% castor in most of my engines. I run 25% castor in my lapped iron/steel engines, and my bushed crankshaft engines. Nitro is expensive, so I try to use as little as possible. I've noted a 500-800rpm loss when running FAI fuel (true 80/20) even with some acetone in it, so I went back to 5%. I have tried higher nitro in my Enya 4-stroke .60, but it didnt run any faster or better with more nitro so I went back to my normal mix. I have been mixing my own fuel for two years now because a gallon of glow fuel costs me at minimum $32. My car fuel with 20% nitro and 12% oil is about $37 a gallon. Mixing my own, fuel costs me between $8 and $12 a gallon. I think I burned 6-7 gallons of fuel this year (about half of that was breaking in engines.. )

I went out to run the G51 some more, trying to get a picture of the carb ''spitting'', but none of my pictures captured the spitting fuel like Earl was able to capture. I was using a 1600 ISO setting as well.

Hsukaria - before I ran out of light for my tach to work, I ran a 10x6 APC on the little G51 and got 14,460rpm on 5% nitro 20% oil at 50/50 blend of castor/synthetic. (using up some experimental fuel). I also tried an 11x9 and 11x6 but it seemed overpropped with both of these props. The needle had to be very rich on the top, but transition ended up being pretty rich. I also tried the Fox method for setting the needle, and I lost almost 1000rpm when I removed the glow driver. The plug I was using was the same plug I broke the engine in on, which was used and abused to start with. I think it is a medium or medium/hot plug; not my normal hot plug that I usually use. Tomorrow, pending the rainstorm, I will try again with a new plug and my normal 20% castor fuel and run a few props.
    The plug that was with that engine you are testing is a Fox #8 plug, which is on the cool side.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There was no glow plug in the box. The plug I'm using is in my tray of "break in" plugs; old plugs that didn't run real great in the field or of unknown brand/heat range.

Edit:
    I'm going to try a Fox miracle, McCoy MC59, and maybe an OS F plug and use 5%nitro 20%castor. I'm still interested in trying the Fox tuning method Mythbusters style. LoL.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fox glow plugs:

I have not had much luck in finding out the heat range on various Fox glow plugs. I know the #8 is medium heat and the Miracle plug is hot. What about the following plugs:

Standard Long

RC Long

Gold Series standard Long

Gold Series RC Long

Also, if the plug is labled RC it seems to mean that it has an idle bar. Is this correct?

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fox described the #8 as a cold plug. I think the RC long both with and without idle bar is a medium plug and the Gold is a hot plug.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would be nice if glow plug manufacturers labeled their plugs to match the heat range: cold, medium cold, medium, medium hot, hot, etc... Then we would not have to keep wondering.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think if they would stamp the number on the plug itself, and include on the back of the package a brief run-down of the various heat ranges. Its not like any given brand has 15 heat ranges. Enya has a list on the back of their glow plug package as to what plug # is what heat range.

When I bought a whole card of McCoy MC59's, it had a table on the back of the card with the list of the 6-8 plugs, their heat ranges, and the part numbers. Unfortunately, they dont stamp the number on the plugs.

I will say, I do not like K&B plugs at all. Not nearly as tolerant of rich mixtures as some other plugs. The 1L's do not work well at all in the Sportster .65's I have. Not hot enough.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3