Club FOX!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

Quepasa...

The old bushing .29 would do best on a high castor fuel. 50/50 castor synth (ie: Sig Champion) would be about the minimum AFAIC.

These engines don't need much nitro...5 or 10% is plenty so it's real easy to make your own fuel. I'd go straight castor with ANY of the older lapped/bushed designs.

The .25BB is a great engine! A little bit higher vibration than most other engines in this displacement range, but it has a good bit of extra power as well. Runs best on 5% fuel (although it tolerates slightly higher nitro without argument). Pulls a 9-5 or 10-4 prop real well, and keeps on pulling in the turns where it counts!

Solid engine!

Ed....The Tatone Peace-Pipe muffler is a piece of leaky junk. If you'd ever used one...you'd never do it again. I'd certainly not recommend one to anyone. Even an enemy.

---------------------

I'll have you know that the Tatone Peace Pipe was the first muffler I ever used at all. In fact, I don't remember anything else being available in late 1969
or 1970.

I was flying a newly built Goldberg Senior Falcon that was powered by an OS Max .58 R/C engine and flown with the rotatable exhaust baffle for an entire season (talk about ringing ears!). Then the club passed the muffler rule. Everyone was scrambling to find a usable muffler. Engines did not come with mufflers back then, but instead just the rotatable exhaust baffles.

I bought the largest Peace Pipe that I could find, took it apart and proceeded to hollow it out with a Dremel Moto Tool. Next I glued some sandpaper to a flat surface and then took the two halves of the muffler and slowly sanded their mating surfaces to a perfect match.

I had a tube of rubber cement (forget who made it - black and white tube) and carefully applied the glue to one side of the two mating surfaces, then rejoined the two major pieces of the muffler together, applied the screws and waited for the rubber cement to cure. Voila! (wah-lah). It worked successfully for a few years without incident. Oh, and I opened up the exhaust outlet/stinger as far as practicable too. It wasn't quiet, but it did take some of the high frequency components of the exhaust note down a bit. Idle was just fine without the baffle too.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of those evil things (Peace Pipe) in the late 70's it seems. Our club then had no muffler rule, and to most of the guys there at the time...mufflers were a "fad". <GGGG>

Yeah. Fad. Flash in the pan. Mufflers never really did catch on did they. <GGGG>

The only reason I had one was because I thought it'd be neat. That thing was a debacle in metal. I probably didn't pay more than a dollar or two for it at a swap meet, and if thats what it cost....it was a dollar or two more than it was worth.

I suppose that if you sealed it up, and hogged it out...it'd have been OK.

It would have been a better idea IMO to have just saved my paper route money and bought a Semco.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live near Ft. Smith Ar and have been to the Fox plant numerous times. I'm taking my old fox BB 40 R/C up for an overhaul. I'm getting a new piston, cylinder and connecting rod , all for 38 bucks, which includes a factory test run and carb setting. When this engine was new it had fantastic power and a count the rpm's idle. I'm gonna install it on a Tower Fun 51, should have all the power i need.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
gzkpez

Richard,

If the Rocket 09 is the fox with the tank at the back and the intake at the back of the cylinder, you can subistute I belive a cox medalion needle valve asm. pretty easly can be used. I belive that is what I did for mine. I could get all the parts but the needle valve and did look for a OEM for a while, even after I got it to run.

It starts and runs very nice, except when it runs backwords. It does not have any power. The Glow head could be drilled and tapped if the element burns out.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM
gs_790

I was going through a closet the other day and stumbled upon a box from Fox Gold Cup Motors.
Back about 10 years ago my father and I flew gliders and a friend gave us this brand new motor.
The sticker says 27400 Fox Eagle "74" BB Ring Schnuerle.. I've been poking around
the internet, but cannot for the life of me find a website where I can find a price for this motor. If
any of you know what a fair price for this motor would be, that would be a great help.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 AM
kamakazi

I don't know what a fair price for this engine would be for the Fox Eagle .74, but I have one and it will run circles around any other brand of engines i've seen. It's very poweful and has a count the RPM's idle. I dont think i've ever had a dead stick landing with mine. If this engine is NIB, I'd say its worth at least 100.00 bucks. Try E-bay, theres Fox engines on there all the time.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 AM
RaceCity

I'd agree with the $100 (or so) price on a .74. That's a good engine.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Don't have a 74, but do have a new in the box 78 in my collection. I never ran one. Was it a good engine?

Richard
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
RaceCity

<GGGG>

I remember a guy in our club (waaaay up north) that had one in a Johnny Casburn "Lucky Fly" back in the late 70's.

(Our club had like 5 people, so it's real easy to remember who had what)

I don't remember the specifics (prop, etc), but I DO recall that we were mostly all running open header back then. Let me tell you....it was the LOUDEST engine on the face of the earth. The Lucky Fly was as heavy a model as you're ever likely to see. Almost as if it were assembled with depleted uranium. That Fox would yank that baby around like nobodies business.

It was pretty powerful, and seemed to run good by the standard of the day. I'd go out on a limb and say that if you can tune one of the old 2-Jet carbs (not to be confused with TN) carbs, and fit this thing with a decent muffler, you might have a real warhorse on your hands. Worth a shot!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 AM
quepasa

If I had anything planned that would take that .74 , I'd buy it from you right now! Foxes sug. retail price for a NEW one is $241.95
The "Factory Direct" price is $145.20 if that helps you.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:14 PM
gs_790

Thanks for the information, I just stumbled onto the fox site and was very surprised to find out that the retail was nearly $250. Not bad for one of those, "Maybe you can make better use of it than I can," moments. I'm not a big fan of ebay, so its not going up there. I'll post it up on the classifieds here for the time being at $150 (negotiable).
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
RaceCity

Fox needs to get rid of those ridiculous "retail" price lists. NOBODY pays that kind of loot for anything, and as much as I like Fox...you're gonna need a heckuva lot more than a .74 to pry $250 out of my cold, dead hands.

IMO...$150 for a .74 is a walk on the high side, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. My guess is you'll sell it for somewhere in the $100 range. They're just not so uncommon as to command much more.

Good Luck anyway!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gzkpez

Richard,

If the Rocket 09 is the fox with the tank at the back and the intake at the back of the cylinder, you can subistute I belive a cox medalion needle valve asm. pretty easly can be used. I belive that is what I did for mine. I could get all the parts but the needle valve and did look for a OEM for a while, even after I got it to run.

It starts and runs very nice, except when it runs backwords. It does not have any power. The Glow head could be drilled and tapped if the element burns out.

------------

A friend gave me one of those with only a few runs on it. After I ran it, I knew why.

You are right. It didn't make much power and the durned thing would start backwards just as easily as forwards. In fact, it almost seemed like it preferred to run backwards. Glow heads were expensive too. It disappeared from my room after I joined the USAF, as did all of my modeling stuff. Pesky little brothers got to the stuff, I suppose. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
quepasa

Yea RC I agree with ya. Fox might sell alot more engines IF they even advratised the "factory dirrect" price that anyone can get by just asking. Also some folks don't know that Fox will give you 50% off the "retail" price if ya send em an engine of another brand, but that puts ya right-about at factory dirrect pricing anyway.[] (Wonder what they do with all those "trade-ins") Guess they do what they have to do to survive. They have, and do build a fine engine, so I guess for some of us, the added cost is worth it.

For me?....All my Foxes are old ones I love and would be the last to go. My runners are all O.S. (another "overpriced" engine, but like a Fox,,,worth every penny in my opinion.)

Good luck selling that jewel!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

If you go to the Fox site and look at the link page you will find a link to Brodak. They are selling most all of the engines including the R/C engines at 30 to 40% off.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

does anyone know anything about the fox engine 26800 60 ABC tuned pipe engine? whats the difference between it and the regular 60 26700 ABC engine? i see from the parts list it has a different cylinder liner and the carb is a "F" carb which i know has a bigger bore. i wonder what the difference is in the liners between the 2 ABC 60 engines? anyone know for sure? no need to make things up or guess, i can do that.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
RaceCity

Check the flitelinesolutions.com website. There's a lot of info on there, and George might speak about that engine..I don't know.

Good chance however, that the port timing is cut different on the piped version.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
carddfann

Hey Fox fans!
Don't get me wrong. I like Fox engines too, but I'm not a seasoned veteran like a lot of you. I've had a Fox 35, 15, and 45 before I got out of the hobby (and now getting back in) and they never gave me a bit of problem - they were great. Heck, my 35 and 45 were used so I had no instructions and I still had an easy time adjusting them. Some things never seem to change. Fox is still around and their bad image still carries on. I joined a club and was talking about how I used to have Foxes, and the bad mouthing took no time to start. Really made me sick! Turns out almost all of them never owned a Fox when I asked and they reluctantly fessed up. All they are doing is passing on word of mouth from someone else who didn't know what he was doing, didn't read instructions, used wrong fuel, or just had a defective engine (and didn't resolve it thru Fox). Well, I'm getting some Foxes again and came across this website called Flite Line Solutions. I know they mean well, but what they say in the beginning is also damning for new customers who come across them while searching for Fox. Apparently a lot of things happened to certain Fox models that I was never aware of (because I had engines that didn't have these problems). I read about silicone around the carb on their 40 size, adding JB Weld to others, and cutting/filing on carbs and head buttons to solve running problems. No wonder Fox got a bad rap! Most people want to fly and not be a mechanic. My question is simple. How did these issues get out if Fox test runs each engine first and don't they believe in long term testing of new products to catch such design problems? So some of it is not just the owner or the owner's imagination. I know Duke tried to be an innovator, but the owners shouldn't have been the test subjects. I even read in Flite Line where one model had a crankshaft that ran directly on the aluminum casing and had durability problems. No wonder! Later, Fox added a bronze bushing to support the crank. Its that kind of stuff that bothers me. Has Fox improved these engines that had problems per Flite Line? Sorry for the long message and bless you if you made it to here.LOL
Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
kamakazi

A lot of Fox engines came from Duke's grab bag. At the plant in Ft. Smith he used to throw all the rejects into a big cardboard box and you picked out what engine you wanted. They were cheap, but had flaws like ill fitting cylinder, piston combo and the porting wasnt up to snuff, all kinds of things. He had meant them to be for spare parts. A guy could purchase a .40 complete for about 10 bucks, and the carb was worth that much. But as we all know, people are like children, we think that engine outta be the top of the line engine when its just junk and he meant for it to be junk, but the guys that bought them thought they outta perform like the ones he test ran and were classified as top of the line. A whole bunch of these engines got out into the public and sold on places like E bay and other auction sites and at garage sales. I'll bet there are at least 2 to 3 thousand of them out there now. I never had any problem with one of his factor test ran and inspected engines, it was the clunkers I picked out of the grab box that was the problem.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
carddfann

Kamakazi,
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting to know and accounts for some of it. However, I don't know if that explains the stuff I read on Flite Line Solutions, but maybe it does. I was a little suprised by Flite Line Solutions when I first came across them recently. I know they mean well, but what they say can also hurt they company they say they love. On the "who we are" page, they say they are "long time dedicated Fox users...." and go on to say something like "contrary to what some people think, they can be made to work." For someone who's shopping for Fox and looking for their website, that comment can hurt if someone runs across it. I never experienced such problems and never knew what some people were talking about because the motors I had weren't affected and ran great. That website was an eye opener to me. Maybe I'll go back and get the engines I once had and stay away from the 40's and 46's because I don't want to mess with JB Weld and stuff like that, unless I know those issues have been corrected...carddfann.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: gzkpez

Richard,

The Gilbert heads fit the Fox .09 Rocket perfectly. I read that Fox made those engines for Gilbert anyway. Virginia Hobby Sport sells the Gilberts for around $25, so if you really need a replacement head that is one way of acquiring one.

David
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
RaceCity

I never heard the one about factory rejects being sold to the public, but if it's so....Fox kinda brought that one on themselves. Those things should have been smacked with a hammer, and made unsaleable.

As for the Fox .40, that is one engine I would NOT avoid. I like that motor, and I've liked it for years. The whole RTV thing you'd find is the ideal solution for sealing the carb to the crankcase. For awhile in the early 90's at least, the engines came like this from the factory until someone got the bright, labor saving idea to use a square rubber gasket at the base of the carb. This "solution" simply did not work, and allows air leaks like there's no tomorrow, and more tuning issues than you can shake a stick at. Mostly at the low end of the throttle range. The earlier RTV seal was far better. Air leaks like this would not necessarily be evident in a factory bench test, because this test involves mainly starting the engine, bringing it up to some benchmark speed and calling it good.

Most of the "turkeys" have been culled from Fox line-up these days, so just about any one you choose would be a good(if not great) engine provided you go into it fully aware that it will likely not offer the out-of-box, ready-to-go experience you'd get with an OS. What the Fox lacks at the front end of it's lifecycle, they tend to make up for at the tail end. Particularly with the lapped iron piston models, the longevity is something of legend. Decades of use isn't out of the question.

Welcome to the family...

Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM
kamakazi

Yep, i bought several of the clunkers at the plant. Duke had a hobby shop there and he put them in a box. I used them strictly for spare parts since I was learning to fly R/C . I runied a few crankcases and knocked fins offa the heads not to mention completely demolishing a few. There may be a few members of the Flighmasters model plane club in Ft Smith that remembers the grab box. That was in the 70's. I bought several of his factory test ran and inspected engines at a huge factory discount. Duke was a good friend to us modelers and tried to help us any way he could.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

i couldnt agree more. Fox engines are sometimes troublesome but not as bad as as presumed by alot of people. in this world of "just want to go fly" most want nothing to do with tuning an engine or anything that even resembles trying to figure out whats wrong, they just want it to run out of the box and go fly. and there is nothing wrong with that either. i dont have a problem with tuning engines and enjoy that part of this hobby as well as flying and putting planes together. and what i enjoy especially is getting one of my fox powered planes out and have it really fire right up and run as well or better than whatever else is out there. yes i have had problems with them and plenty of them, but i have always figured out why and really enjoy doing that. i see and totally understand why most people dont want any hassle with engines and would not suggest using a fox engine to avoid it but, i dont have any other engine brand suggestions for them either. at least if they do run a fox i can help them. whats really cool is how the more mature, "older" , members of the club here really enjoy seeing me run my foxes and not the other engines. one project i was bound and determined to get running was a goldberg skylark with a fox Q-500 race version engine powered. it was kinda tough at first, but i managed to get it running finally. and i mean i could get it out, fuel it up and it would start easy, idle decent and run full out, without deadsticking till either it or i finally cracked the leading edge of the wing and i had to retire the plane for fear it would snap the wing. uno, i might run that thing one more time![8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
kamakazi

I never owned one of the quickie 500's , but a friend of mine did and it screamed. I dont think there was another engine out there that had the oomph that thing did. Only way he could get a decent idle was to use a Fox idle bar plug.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.