Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

i ran mine with a perry carb, rossi #8 glow plug(extra cold), a macs tuned pipe and header, and ran wildcat fuel with my own mixture ending up with 23% nitro and 19% oil that being a mix of 75/25 syn castor. worked great
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Anyone,

I need the following for a Quickee 500 Special (Race):

Piston #14004Q
Wrist pin #13606F

Prefer new, but good used will work.

Not available from Fox.

I'm not going to race it, just want a complete engine for my collection.

Richard

Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
quepasa

I had 4 bad engines. None were Foxes. 2 were Enya .35 baffel plain bearing motors, and 2 were HBs with PDP. (1970s vintage)Absolutely junk!
Never had a bad Fox and still own every one I ever bought. The .40 I have generates alot of vibration, but I believe it makes near as much power as most old .60s do. Still runs, carburates, and vibrates fine! The 2 ea. old Eagles are faitful with hundreds of flights between em. I can't remember a "deadstick" with any of them. My .29 plainbearing baffel motor bought in 1977 is still NOD...(new on display)
I'd like to put that ole gal in a "Jenny", but as bad as I fly, probably wouldn't chance it.
One of the things that is cool is that they all still run fine, and are fun to look at. Foxes customer support and parts are just a phone call away,,,AND,,,they speak perfect Southern English!

Not Bad!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RHarding...

Keep an eye on the internet auctions for the parts you need. Also, I'd double check with Fox regarding those parts. Ask for Randy. The front desk girls only know what's on the computer screen.

They have everything in a box someplace at the shop, and it's really just a matter of somebody going out there and rummaging around to find it.

Good Luck
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
RHarding

RaceCity,

They have been very good about doing that for me. Some of the parts they can find and some they can't.

Are you aware of Fox making a 36X with not only a slanted venturi but slanted to the right also (looking at the engine from the front)? A fellow gave me two of them today. I think I will take a picture and send it to Fox. Maybe they can tell me about it. Could have been done by the fellow who owned the engines some time ago.

Richard
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: RHarding
but slanted to the right also (looking at the engine from the front)?
That was part of Scarinzi's mods. Very common mod for non-restricted pressurized systems used for combat. I moded several of my 36X's this way.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 AM
RHarding

Cutaway,

Thanks for the reply about the 36X's. Tell me more. Who was Scarinzi? Was it necessary to run an insert in the venturi? What prop? What kind of RPM? Did you use a stock 36X needle valve assembly? Are they worth keeping in a collection? If not I will put them up for sale.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

fox'es are reliable as bricks , but the carbs are finicky. the ringed ones will
run forever. i've got 2 older 45's needing carbs, one is the real old shinny case version. theyve got monster compression.

which version carb is the best for these engines, the 2 needle or the EZ?,

THANKS RCU
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

WhiteRock, by all means get the 2 needle carb if possible, i've never had any luck with an air bleed carb, and thats all Enya uses.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kamakazi

WhiteRock, by all means get the 2 needle carb if possible, i've never had any luck with an air bleed carb, and thats all Enya uses.

--------------

When I first started flying R/C there were only two kinds of carbs. The first isn't worth mentioning because it did not use a butterfly or a drum in the throat of the carb. You simply selected between one needle valve set lean and another set rich. The air bleed carb was the other alternative. If you went to a flying field back in those days, you would see folks flying just like they do today. Start up, idle, taxi out to the runway, takeoff, fly around with various throttle settings and then land with an idling engine, assuming the carb adjuster knew what he was doing and the model/engine combo did not have any tank set up faults. Indistinguishable from today. Air bleed carbs work just fine when everything is set up as it should be. They do not deserve a bad reputation at all.

Enya offers two kinds of air bleed carbs. Both were to perfection when adjusted properly.

The first is the conventional airbleed carb, with which we are all familiar.

The second is a metered carb with an air bleed trimmer. This type of carb is every bit as sophisticated and finely adjustable as any OS two needle carb. It does not suffer any of the minor disadvantages of the conventional air bleed carb. This is the type of carb that comes on the Enya 1.20R and 1.55R. It also comes on the Enya .40CX, .45CX, .50CX and possibly the .61CX. I haven't checked the .61CX as yet, but at a glance it appears to be the same carb. The YS.91AC originally used the metered carb with an air bleed trimmer. I suspect they took so much flack over this from customers that they just caved in and changed to a needle trimmer on the 1.10, just to avoid the argument from those that didn't know any better.

The "problem" with these carbs is that the low speed adjustment screw works in reverse when compared to a conventional two needle carb. That is, to lean the low speed mixture, you must screw the air bleed screw "out", not "in" as you would on a two needle carb. This alone is enough to give folks that cut their teeth on a conventional two needle carb fits. For some reason, they just can't make the leap to "out" for lean and "in" for rich.

True air bleed carbs are a little more sensitive to tank height, or can be. Of course, this is why the two needle carb was invented. It is an improvement over a conventional air bleed carb. The modern two needle carb is the same as the Enya metered air bleed carb, however. I wish that Enya would take the time to explain the differences in their owner's manual. It would help their sales considerably, since so many folks are down on any kind of an air bleed carb because they don't know any better.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM
RaceCity

Ed, they'd have to read the owners manual first, and we both know that's not going to happen.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM
WhiteRook

can you still get the 2 needle carb for the FOX? 45
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
RaceCity

I believe you can....let me see here....(rummaging through my expansive library of all things Fox....)

You are looking for Fox part #2700
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
WhiteRook

thanks race , i'll call em
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
kamakazi

Well im glad to find that out about Enya carbs, cause I have an Enya 40CX. Im gonna get right to work on that thing , I need it for my next project. I didn't realize that screwing the needle out leaned the mixture and screwing it in richened it. I wondered why the hell it always started slobbering a lot when i'd try to "lean" it out.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
MScooling

Hello All,

I have a Fox 15BB R/C I'm having problems with. I have the engine tuned great when on the ground, but once in flight it will almost always die. It sounds like it leans out, looses power, then quits. The cylinder head is smoking hot once I manage to land it. No matter how rich I run it on the ground, it leans out in flight and quits. So far I have lost 2 Lanier Shrikes due to this engine.

I understand you cannot tune it like an O.S./Japanese engine. The instruction manual calls for 3.5 turns on the high speed and 1 turn on the low speed. At one turn on the low speed, it will not even start. I need at least 3 turns to get it running reliably on the ground.

I have cleaned out the carb (MKX), needles look brand new, compression is good, muffler is tight, fuel tank is level with the carb (even tried different fuel tanks and fuel lines). Break-in was done according to the manual, and there's at least a gallon of fuel through this engine.

I'm running Morgan's 15% Omega. I've checked out Flitetlinesolutions, used their tips and still the same problems.

Anyways, I'm out of ideas.... I'd like to get this engine working, but if I loose one more plane to a dead stick it's going in the garbage.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45527.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	757547  
Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 AM
RaceCity

Don't throw it away....send it to me!

First off...the need to open the LS needle excessively says that there's either a restriction (pinch) in the fuel line, or...an air leak which is limiting the engines ability to draw fuel.

The "leaning out" and overheating is further evidence that this thing isn't getting enough fuel.

It's easier to diagnose these sorts of problems outside the plane, and on a test stand. If you have one....set it up with a KNOWN GOOD tank & plumbing and give it a try. Not with another tank crammed into the plane, because that's where these problems often originate. Get everything in the open so you can see what's going on.

If under these circumstance you're having the same basic problem, then there's likely a leak at the engine. The .15BB has not only a flange mount for the carb, but there's also another point right at the base of the carb body (see the allen head set screw up under there?) that could leak.

Check the backplate screws....make sure they're all tight.

The fuel is marginal for this motor, but should work. I'd add a few ounces of castor to that Omega to bring it up to 20% total oil.

Just an added note: Make sure you're not trying to run a LONG idle bar plug with this engine.

Let us know.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 PM
TheHawklord

Can someone advise on an engine I have aquired a Tartan 22CC Glow engine - I belive it is an early Fox model

Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
RaceCity

Tartan had nothing to do with Fox. The Tartan engines were imported by IndyRC some years ago.

I believe there are some fellas who freqent this forum who have some experience with those engines.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 AM
TheHawklord

Thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I have the fox .15 with c/l venturi. Fox instructions state this engine MUST be run on fuel containing 20% castor for lube. I have been running duke's in mine without any problems. The piston is iron running in a steel sleeve, so lots of castor is a must. I don't think straight omega is going to cut it here. Probably explains why your engine is getting so hot.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

I'm running Morgan's 15% Omega.
My experiance is that it may not run well on this fuel till its broken in. Otherwise the excess friction will heat up the cylinder causing the seal between the piston and cylinder to be broken, this allows blowby which further heats the engine. It will act exactly like it is running too lean.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM
rainedave

I think Duke, bless his heart, was a strange bird.

I just finished running an old - 1965, I think, .15 R/C. I had to familiarize myself with his "carburetor" since I've never seen anything like it before. The fuel line nipple is the LS adjustment.

It starts easily with a healthy prime. But, what surprised me was how well the throttle actually works. It doesn't look like it would, but it does. It's pretty loud running wide open, sort of like my Medallion .15 w/throttle.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some photos since this is the Fox thread. I actually have a set of plans that shows this very engine: the Peppermint Pattie.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26024.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	766205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40020.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	766206  
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM
kamakazi

Yep, i recognize the engine. It was the 1st R/C engine I owned. I think the fuel line turned with the throttle arm when you moved it, could be wrong, that was 1973.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:40 AM
fmichaelb

I remember the grab boxes, I still have the 45 BB RC that I bought from one of them in must have been 1982. Never had any trouble with it (Duke made me promise to always use 20% pure castor in it, and I always did, although to be honest, I haven't run it in 7 or 8 years, but it ran fine the last time I tried it). BTW, not saying they DON'T still make engines, nor that they're planning on quitting doing so, but you know it's just a small part of their business. They do a lot of (and I suspect make the majority of their income from) contracting sub-assemblies and 'to order' machine work for other manufacturers. Here's their website for that line of business: www.foxqualityaero.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.