Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
PETEPA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

I have an older FOX .78......I Iam considering a  replacement carburetor...
Which should I buy, the FOX (late model) 2 needle carb. or a Conley/Perry with FOX adapter   either way they cost about $50.00...

ANY opinions?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Don Ness
I have a Fox Eagle .74, runs great wide open, but when I try to idle it down, it dies like I sut the fuel off. Fox says it won't run with the EZ carb, it needs a two needle valve one. Has any one had this problem, and did a new $50 carb cure the problem.

Yiou would want to use the newest model carb Fox makes on your .74 engine. The EZ carb wasn't really intended for the .60 and ,74 engines, so it may or may not work on them. The idle circuit may not be rich enough to work on the big engines. But the EZ carb works fine on the .40 and ,45 engines. Actually the newest carb is a modernized 2 needle carb, the low speed needle is sort of hidden, but it is still there. I can vouch for the newest 2 needle carb as it works good on the big engines. Normally you don't even need to touch the low speed needle, or if you do it is only a small tweak for the adjustment.

One thought is your fuel tank placement in relation to the carb, and how long the fuel tubing is in length going to the carb. I assume you are using muffler pressure to the fuel tank as well. If the fuel tank is too low, or the fuel line is too long, or the prop is too small, or the glow plug is contaminated, then the engine may have idle problems on you. If you have some stuff like a fuel filter, fuel filler device, etc. They may be leaking a little too. Also if it idles Ok when the fuel tank is full versus when the fuel tank is low on fuel, that might mean it needs to be richened out a little more too.

Now if you have the older 2 needle carb and it works fine, there is no reason to upgrade to the new carb, unless you want to.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: PETEPA
I have an older FOX .78......I Iam considering a replacement carburetor...
Which should I buy, the FOX (late model) 2 needle carb. or a Conley/Perry with FOX adapter either way they cost about $50.00...
ANY opinions?
Actually, although either carb would work, but I do really like Fox's newest 2 needle carb. I am really impressed with how well it works. So much so, that I get a urge to upgrade all of my engines to it.
Now if the venerable butterfly carb is working fine for you, then there really isn't any reason to upgrade, unless you want to. The carbs are normally very good.
I use a short length of neoprine black tubing on the tapered fuel fitting. The silcon tubing will simply slip right on off on you, but the neoprine tubing will sort of bond to the aluminum fitting.
When Fox designed and manufactured this carb, they didn't have silicon tubing yet.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 AM
PETEPA

It has a different 2 needle carb than the one in your picture....i can't get it to "lean out"...When I set it according to the instructions with the engine, I can get it to run but "sloppy rich". When i try to lean it out,  It's still sloppy rich with the Hi speed needle all the way in.

I have seen the new Fox carb. on a FOX .45 an it worked perfectly rite out of the box....

Bob Baumstien listed a Perry with FOX adapter in his inventory but he just wrote back and said he no longer had it.... So I guess that answered my question....
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 AM
earlwb

Petepa,   Have you run your .74 engine on a engine test stand?  I suspect something is wrong somewhere, but it may not be the engine. Running the engine on a test stand would help isolate the problem.  The other thing is if you tried a new glow plug or not too.
What fuel are you using?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
PETEPA

It is an older FOX .78  (not a .74),
It has been used very little but the carburetor will not allow me to lean out the engine.....I am running it on a test stand that I use for all of my engines....
When I set the needles per the instructions included with the engine, It starts ok and runs sloppy rich...I can crank the HS needle all the way
closed and it is still sloppy rich....4cycling mostly and blowing  unused fuel out the exhaust....This is a first for me with any engine..
I have an extensive collection   This is my first FOX though....

It doesn't seem to matter if I use muffler pressure or not either.
This is an early two needle carb they had before the "easy needle" ( air bleed) carb.   FYI

I like the looks of the new FOX carb. but don't like the price  (approx. $50.00)  A friend bought one for his older FOX.45 and it works great!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 PM
earlwb

I thought the new Fox carb for $49.95 was pretty cheap myself. Wait til you price a OS carb for a .60 engine ($69.95 for a OS carb for a 75AX engine, retail $81.99), or one of the other top tier brands carb prices.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

earlwb,

I have used several of the low DB Bisson Mufflers and think they are fantastic. Normally the Low DB muffler is larger for a given size. I have bought one for every engine range( 20-40, 40-60, 60-80) I have. I haven't tried one on a Fox yet, but plan to do so soon. They have been superb in every other application I have tried. They have a very nice sound!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

PETEPA,

The older 78 did not need muffler pressure so don't use it.  That should have a midrange adjustment.  Was this the earlier buttyfly valve carb or the later twin needle MK X?  I am thinking the needle may be bad.  Some were sent with the wrong or improperly tapered needle?  If the MK X you can still buy needles for it.  If not maybe someone here could probably show how to file it to the correct shape.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: earlwb

ORIGINAL: Don Ness
I have a Fox Eagle .74, runs great wide open, but when I try to idle it down, it dies like I sut the fuel off. Fox says it won't run with the EZ carb, it needs a two needle valve one. Has any one had this problem, and did a new $50 carb cure the problem.

Yiou would want to use the newest model carb Fox makes on your .74 engine. The EZ carb wasn't really intended for the .60 and ,74 engines, so it may or may not work on them. The idle circuit may not be rich enough to work on the big engines. But the EZ carb works fine on the .40 and ,45 engines. Actually the newest carb is a modernized 2 needle carb, the low speed needle is sort of hidden, but it is still there. I can vouch for the newest 2 needle carb as it works good on the big engines. Normally you don't even need to touch the low speed needle, or if you do it is only a small tweak for the adjustment.

One thought is your fuel tank placement in relation to the carb, and how long the fuel tubing is in length going to the carb. I assume you are using muffler pressure to the fuel tank as well. If the fuel tank is too low, or the fuel line is too long, or the prop is too small, or the glow plug is contaminated, then the engine may have idle problems on you. If you have some stuff like a fuel filter, fuel filler device, etc. They may be leaking a little too. Also if it idles Ok when the fuel tank is full versus when the fuel tank is low on fuel, that might mean it needs to be richened out a little more too.

Now if you have the older 2 needle carb and it works fine, there is no reason to upgrade to the new carb, unless you want to.

[img][/img]

earlwb,
The problem I am having with my .74 is that it runs perfectly on the ground, but quits at part throttle while up in the air. I know that usually means that I might be too lean on the low end, but I was running fairly rich on the bench (I have limited experience with Fox engines though). But you mention that the EZ carb is not intended for the larger .74? Would that possibly be my problem?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 AM
earlwb

I don't think so. your problem is something else. Actually in retrospect thinking, I think the EZ carb ought to work on a .74 engine.  The other guy had a problem with idle not high speed operations. It might simply be a defect with the carb in that case.

In your case, You are either a little too lean or a little too rich with your engine. I can't tell from here though, one has to be there to see and hear it. it may also be a really tight engine and it is running a little too hot in the air when the prop unloads more.

I would suggest filling the fuel tank to 1/4 full and then start up and run the engine, and adjust the needle valve for a low fuel tank condition, do it nose high to ensure it is running Ok with the nose pointed up. Then stop the engine, and refill to full. Then start it up and see what happens.
If the engine won't run at 1/4 of a tank of fuel, then you have a fuel problem of some sort with the fuel tank and fuel lines or something.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM
hsukaria

I don't think so. your problem is something else. Actually in retrospect thinking, I think the EZ carb ought to work on a .74 engine. The other guy had a problem with idle not high speed operations. It might simply be a defect with the carb in that case.

In your case, You are either a little too lean or a little too rich with your engine. I can't tell from here though, one has to be there to see and hear it. it may also be a really tight engine and it is running a little too hot in the air when the prop unloads more.

I would suggest filling the fuel tank to 1/4 full and then start up and run the engine, and adjust the needle valve for a low fuel tank condition, do it nose high to ensure it is running Ok with the nose pointed up. Then stop the engine, and refill to full. Then start it up and see what happens.
If the engine won't run at 1/4 of a tank of fuel, then you have a fuel problem of some sort with the fuel tank and fuel lines or something.

I will run it on the bench tester next. I retired that plane, it was falling apart while still new. It was an ARF made by a less reputable manufacturer.

Regarding prop size, would a 12x7 be too small for it, causing too much unloading in flight?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 AM
earlwb

According to the instructions the earlier eagle IV .60 and .74 engines came with the EZ carb for a while, so the carb ought to work fine.

ref Eagle IV instructions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1298466003
in this thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...955929&page=11

Fox suggests a prop from 11x7 all the way up to a 14x6 for the engines. It depends on the airplane, and other factors though.
So a 12x7 prop should be fine.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

I have 2 eagle 60's nib need mufflers modle # 16099 verticle bolts , 1 25 need the same , 1 19 need the same , anyone know where I can find them ? thanks in advance.

charlie
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
PETEPA

See the attached link to FOX manufacturing.....

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...ndex&cPath=143

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

they do not have them I called thanks anyway
Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: lazyace
I have 2 eagle 60's nib need mufflers modle # 16099 verticle bolts , 1 25 need the same , 1 19 need the same , anyone know where I can find them ? thanks in advance.
charlie
Are these the Eagle I .60 engines? or the Eagle II, III or IV engines. Petepa gave a link toFox manufacturing for the newer Eagle Schnuerle engines and where to get mufflers for them.

Now the Eagle I has been out of production for many years now, so one has to search places like Ebay for the mufflers that fit them.
But you can use the muffler that fits the new Fox .60 CL stunt engine with ceramic cylinder too. The Fox Eagle I, Fox Hawk .60, and the new .60 CL engine all can use the same mufflers. You'll have to callFox about the .60 CL engine muffler as they aen't showing it on their website at this time. I have also seen it pop up on Ebay from time to time too.

the Mac's Mufflers one piece design like the 6340 for example, happens to fit the Fox .19 and .25 engines as well as the .29 and .35 or 36RC engines too.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: lazyace
charlie
Are these the Eagle I .60 engines? or the Eagle II, III or IV engines. Petepa gave a link to Fox manufacturing for the newer Eagle Schnuerle engines and where to get mufflers for them.

Now the Eagle I has been out of production for many years now, so one has to search places like Ebay for the mufflers that fit them.
But you can use the muffler that fits the new Fox .60 CL stunt engine with ceramic cylinder too. The Fox Eagle I, Fox Hawk .60, and the new .60 CL engine all can use the same mufflers. You'll have to call Fox about the .60 CL engine muffler as they aen't showing it on their website at this time. I have also seen it pop up on Ebay from time to time too.

the Mac's Mufflers one piece design like the 6340 for example, happens to fit the Fox .19 and .25 engines as well as the .29 and .35 or 36RC engines too.

I like the Mac's one-piece mufflers, super light, sleek, and lower restriction. A bit loud, but maybe not as loud as the Fox standards? I called Mac's Mufflers in the past about a different engine and they said they would make an adapter given the engine's dimensions. That would make it a 2-piece muffler, but who's counting? I have a couple on Super Tigre engines and they weigh less than half the stock Super Tigre mufflers.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
earlwb

here is my PBF plane with a Fox .25 on it using a MAc's Muffler

Here is a Mac's muffler on my venerable Fox 36RC engine as shown here.

it is actually fairly easy to make bridge adapters for fitting different mufflers to the engines.
Here is where I made a bridge adapter to fit a K&B muffler to a old wart Fox .45 engine. You don't need anything fancy for tools, just a hacksaw, drill press (unless you are really good with a hand drill), and some assorted hand files. You can use one piece to adapt or two pieces if the bolt holes interfere with each other.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM
earlwb

I had forgotten about it, but the Fox .35 CL stunt engine, as currently sold by Fox,  has a muffler that ought to fit the .19, .25., .35 and .36RC engines too. I haven't tried it myself yet, so I can't be sure though. But I doubt fox has changed the molds for the engine castings all that much over the years.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:48 PM
hsukaria

I got back to testing my used Fox 74 Eagle IV on the bench. This time I changed the fuel to Morgan Omega 5% with 15% synthetic oil and 5% castor oil. I used a Top Flite wood prop 13x6. It ran well with good transition, but still rich at the high speed with some transition hesitation close to the top.

WOT 10500 RPM without trying for maximum setting. Still quite rich.
IDLE 2000 RPM (could go as low as 1800 rpm, but a bit unsteady). It would idle indefinitely and then transition to WOT with slight hesitation due to rich high end.

Now the question is: Will it stall while flying on part/low throttle? I can't tell, I am not experienced enough, but it happened to me before.

BTW, I don't have a plane for this engine anymore. I have to find a cheap and simple airframe for it to do my testing before I put it in a warbird model.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
hsukaria

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

it is actually fairly easy to make bridge adapters for fitting different mufflers to the engines.
Here is where I made a bridge adapter to fit a K&B muffler to a old wart Fox .45 engine. You don't need anything fancy for tools, just a hacksaw, drill press (unless you are really good with a hand drill), and some assorted hand files. You can use one piece to adapt or two pieces if the bolt holes interfere with each other.
[img][/img]
That PBF plane looks really wild. Is that built from plans anywhere?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: hsukaria
I got back to testing my used Fox 74 Eagle IV on the bench. This time I changed the fuel to Morgan Omega 5% with 15% synthetic oil and 5% castor oil. I used a Top Flite wood prop 13x6. It ran well with good transition, but still rich at the high speed with some transition hesitation close to the top.

IDLE 2000 RPM (could go as low as 1800 rpm, but a bit unsteady). It would idle indefinitely and then transition to WOT with slight hesitation due to rich high end.

Now the question is: Will it stall while flying on part/low throttle? I can't tell, I am not experienced enough, but it happened to me before.

BTW, I don't have a plane for this engine anymore. I have to find a cheap and simple airframe for it to do my testing before I put it in a warbird model.
I don't have any reason for my engines to idle below 2,400 to 2,600 RPMs. That might be your problem, trying to idle too slow. Now granted after a engine is run in really good, it'll likely idle slower. Now granted if you are flying off of pavement, then a lower idle might be more useful, but I don't remember needing to idle at 2,000 rpms or less even then, when I flew off of hard pavement before.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
earlwb

[img][/img]

That PBF plane looks really wild. Is that built from plans anywhere?
The planes are amazingly simple. Here is the original articles and information on them.
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizzabox.htm

They are intended to fly slow like a 3D hovering machine does.

You can also make angled cuts on the front to make them into a delta type of plane if you want to fly faster too.
You can mount the motor mount and spine on the bottom for overhand hand launches. Or mount the spine and motor mount on top if you like the underlanded launch method.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 AM
hsukaria

I don't have any reason for my engines to idle below 2,400 to 2,600 RPMs. That might be your problem, trying to idle too slow. Now granted after a engine is run in really good, it'll likely idle slower. Now granted if you are flying off of pavement, then a lower idle might be more useful, but I don't remember needing to idle at 2,000 rpms or less even then, when I flew off of hard pavement before.

I fly off grass, so 2500 RPM would be fine. I was just trying to make sure that I had a safe margin for not stalling in the air by making sure that the engine was stable at lower speeds. Next I will work on tuning the top end. But I think changing the fuel helped a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.