Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, the rear cylinder idle mixture could not be set as the needle was completely ineffective no matter where I adjusted it. Being the idle mixture effects the high speed operation, I automatically assumed the buggered needle may not be allowing it to seat far enough to lean the mixture. I blew the carb out and have yet to retest it. I'll re-run it with the needles unmodified and see if blowing the carb out fixed the problem or not. We are gonna be running engines all day Monday so that will be the day I mess around with it further.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 PM
VampeD4
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 Old Engines + Extra's

the 2 Bull Dog's .09 RC Engines are in good shape. one of them needs Carb Screws.

the 2 Fox .07 RC Are like new. and i have 5 Extra Glow Heads ( NEW ) and the 2 Glow Heads on the Engines Are Good.

the Fox .09 is like new. it needs a Needle and Prop Nut. Glow Head is good

NO PROPS / SPINNERS

95.00 Shipped. Paypal Only. USA Shipping Only

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=995418
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0703.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2027444   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0704.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	2027445   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0705.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2027446   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0706.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2027447   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0707.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2027448  

Last edited by VampeD4; 09-01-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About a year ago I sent a glow engine to Fox for a repair(needed a connecting rod). Today I received my unopened Box o Fox with a letter stating that
"We are not able to repair engines at this time". Took them a year to decide that?
Read in to it what you will.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM
VampeD4
My Feedback: (80)

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
About a year ago I sent a glow engine to Fox for a repair(needed a connecting rod). Today I received my unopened Box o Fox with a letter stating that
"We are not able to repair engines at this time". Took them a year to decide that?
Read in to it what you will.
maybe its you. ???
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VampeD4
maybe its you. ???
LOL. Maybe spray some perfume on your package before you send it off next time. They might change their minds.

I kind of sympathize with Fox's situation. They are keeping up parts for engines that have not been in production for a long time. If I were in their shoes and really wanted to keep producing engines, come up with a small number of new and competitive designs and drop all the old stuff. I know it would upset a bunch of old engine collectors, but hey, it's a business. If they don't want to stay in the model engine business, then it's time to move on.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Fox has no parts whatsoever AFAIK.

Sharon said she'd send me user manuals for a few engines and never did. I called and left another message after the last email went unanswered and didn't get a call back.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Fox has no parts whatsoever AFAIK.

Sharon said she'd send me user manuals for a few engines and never did. I called and left another message after the last email went unanswered and didn't get a call back.
Maybe I should sell my Fox 74?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

when OS, Enya, Rossi, Ys and many more imports started coming to US with some REALLY good engs. it put Fox in a down ward spiral. Fox made good engs. some of which were VERY good and some in which gave many guy fits. Fox engs. didn't go in for a ''PRETTY'' eng. like the imports did and fox just lost more and more ground with us in the rc industry. to survive Fox diversified into other interests, Gov. contracts, etc. hense they began to lose interest in making engs. and parts for the engs. we hold dear. i have stock piled many of my favorite Foxs namely the .60 hawks, some eagles. they were first rate engs. in my book. fox went thru some growing pains with their carbs. and guys had fits with them, lost patience with them, crashed a few planes because of those issues and just went and bought OS's and other imports and put their Foxes in storage or sold them. i myself went with Perry carbs. not that i did not understand fox carbs. but i found the perry carbs. just better and with less hassle for me. the Fox Hawk .60 was and still is my very favorite eng. for over 50 years now. i have had many makes of engs. over this years which i liked but not as much as my Hawks.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by fujiman
when OS, Enya, Rossi, Ys and many more imports started coming to US with some REALLY good engs. it put Fox in a down ward spiral. Fox made good engs. some of which were VERY good and some in which gave many guy fits. Fox engs. didn't go in for a ''PRETTY'' eng. like the imports did and fox just lost more and more ground with us in the rc industry. to survive Fox diversified into other interests, Gov. contracts, etc. hense they began to lose interest in making engs. and parts for the engs. we hold dear. i have stock piled many of my favorite Foxs namely the .60 hawks, some eagles. they were first rate engs. in my book. fox went thru some growing pains with their carbs. and guys had fits with them, lost patience with them, crashed a few planes because of those issues and just went and bought OS's and other imports and put their Foxes in storage or sold them. i myself went with Perry carbs. not that i did not understand fox carbs. but i found the perry carbs. just better and with less hassle for me. the Fox Hawk .60 was and still is my very favorite eng. for over 50 years now. i have had many makes of engs. over this years which i liked but not as much as my Hawks.
Not bad but one error: AFAIK, Duke never made model engines only. It was always a sideline to his manufacturing activities. When his foundry & machines were not tied up on other contracts he used them to make a run of engines.

CR
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charley
Not bad but one error: AFAIK, Duke never made model engines only. It was always a sideline to his manufacturing activities. When his foundry & machines were not tied up on other contracts he used them to make a run of engines.

CR
Sounds like a good business model to me.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One big problem is that Ralph Fox runs the company now and he is retired and getting older. he is Duke Fox's son. With the advent of the cheap Chinese engines flooding the market, it is difficult to want to keep on making model engines. Thus we don't know if Ralph's kids might want to keep it going or not. I hope they will be able to keep it going though. It would be nice.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by earlwb
One big problem is that Ralph Fox runs the company now and he is retired and getting older. he is Duke Fox's son. With the advent of the cheap Chinese engines flooding the market, it is difficult to want to keep on making model engines. Thus we don't know if Ralph's kids might want to keep it going or not. I hope they will be able to keep it going though. It would be nice.
I can only suppose that Ralph doesn't share his dad's passion for model engines. Here's an interesting thing: I worked a few AMA Nats while Duke was still living. If Duke could find time to come, he could always be found at the CL combat circles, watching and giving advice to his Fox engine users. CL was his passion, IMO; but he recognized that RC was taking over as a market he had to sell to.

CR
Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by Charley
I can only suppose that Ralph doesn't share his dad's passion for model engines. Here's an interesting thing: I worked a few AMA Nats while Duke was still living. If Duke could find time to come, he could always be found at the CL combat circles, watching and giving advice to his Fox engine users. CL was his passion, IMO; but he recognized that RC was taking over as a market he had to sell to.

CR
I think he did or still does share the passion to some extent. When he was a kid, he used to work part time and most all of his summers at the Fox factory. He used to test run many of the engines there, as well as run secondary machining operations on engine parts too. But when you work in the hobby, it then stops becoming a hobby and work instead. Thus although he might have some of the passion for it still, he is getting pretty old though. He was already retired when he took over the reins of the company,

'
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

It kinda goes for most anything.. Do what you love for a hobby and it is fun. Do what you love for money and it no longer ends up being fun.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
hsukaria

It kinda goes for most anything.. Do what you love for a hobby and it is fun. Do what you love for money and it no longer ends up being fun.
I always loved cars and airplanes. When I worked on airplanes, my hobby was cars. When I switched to work on cars, my hobby became (model) airplanes.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

I have a fox 45 but need either a carb body or full carb. looks like this but I have an low sped and high speed needle not an air bleed.
http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...9c685d5dfcb61f

Has a low speed needle and high speed like this
Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

You could replace that with the air bleed carb but if you want a twin needle carb I believe you need this.

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...oducts_id=1514

I know they do not have any engines left but maybe they have a carb or two. Be sure to call you may get a discount over the website.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Fox has no parts.

I will have some Fox engines for sale soon if someone wanted an engine for parts.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
I have a fox 45 but need either a carb body or full carb. looks like this but I have an low sped and high speed needle not an air bleed.

Has a low speed needle and high speed like this

Jesse,
You are in luck. The carb you show in the picture (EZ Carb) is what I have sitting as spare. It used to be on my Fox 74, but I replaced it with their new-fangled carb with 2 needles. Both carbs are easy to adjust. When we talked yesterday, I thought you meant the other carb with the square mount instead of the flat mount for the smaller 40. We can try my old carb on your engine. It is seized up now from old fuel, but I can free it up.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking for Fox's new two needle carburetor, but they quit making them along with the engines now.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
hsukaria

It might mean that we will have to start *******izing the Fox engines with different carbs.

It's a shame that the quit making even the new carb. I guess they don't have the manpower to keep it going.

Last edited by hsukaria; 09-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
hsukaria

Fox has no parts.

I will have some Fox engines for sale soon if someone wanted an engine for parts.
Tim, keep us posted, I'm sure there will be some demand.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Tim, keep us posted, I'm sure there will be some demand.
I am gonna keep either the .50 or the .46 ABC for Diesel use. I have a Davis head for the .50 but I may mill it to fit the ABC liner in the .46 and dump the rest. The ring seal in the .50 isn't that great even with a Bowman ring although it runs okay.

I currently have a .19RC cross flow, an iron/steel lapped .40, ABC .40 (both C-case engines), .46 ABC, a .50, and the 1.20 Twin. I am tired of fiddling with them to make them run right. The .40 ABC and .46 ABC are new. I'd rather have Enyas. Enya still makes parts and those parts are readily available. When I'm ready to get them up for sale, I'll post here before I put them on eBay. All engines are BB engines except the .19RC.

I have a matched set of custom head buttons for the Fox twin for low nitro use that I will include with the twin if anyone is interested in that engine. The twin is set up from the factory to use Missile Mist fuel (25% nitro) and I had no intention of using that much nitro in that thing. It sucks fuel like no other engine I've ever witnessed run.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-23-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 AM
earlwb

For carbs, I think that the Perry Carb people still make a Fox carb flange adapter. One could use the adapter and stick on a Perry carb or most any other carb for that matter. Tower Hobbies used to sell a version of the Fox .60 Eagle I with the flange adapter and a Perry carb on it. These engines still pop up from time to time on Ebay too.
They show it on their webpage still for $14.95. #FP-VA. http://www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm

The disadvantage was that it could use a carb that had a smaller intake venturi and thus one could lose performance in some cases.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-24-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-24-2014, 04:17 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

I adapted an OS carb on my 50BB, so should have the original two needle carb sitting in the spares box. Mid 80's vintage, but may be the same used on your 45.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.