Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
It's a neat old engine. It takes a special muffler with two tabs that fit into the exhaust port. Fox #90264 or 90265. They look like the regular Fox "Blimp" mufflers but it's a little larger. I could make an adapter and run an aftermarket muffler....
That's what I would probably do until I found an OE unit from FEEbay.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On these older style large frame engines you can use clamp on mufflers easily enough. I use a old Slimline muffler on my .78 engine and a Davis Diesel Development muffler on my .60 engine. You have to remove the exhaust baffle if the engine has one on it. You also make some sort of a plug for the two end holes that the exhaust baffle went through. The early OEM muffler had special ears or tabs that allowed for the exhaust baffle, so you didn't have to remove it. The later .78 engines use a muffler that still had the ears on it, but there was no exhaust baffle by that time.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the late model with muffler lugs on the side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2050105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2050106  
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Fox has a bad reputation everywhere it seems. I'm unimpressed with nearly everything about them when compared to even a cheap Taiwanese engine. There are casting flaws in every Fox engine I own. If Fox was selling their engines today, with the same flaws and quality control issues that I see in the older engines that I own, at the prices they have on their website.... They wouldn't sell anything to me, trade-in or not.

My little lapped .40 BB runs o.k., and my .19rc runs good. The rest of them I plan to leave in the boxes. My Fox .50 with MDS .40 parts in it will keep getting worked on until it's running close to what the .50 was supposed to do in the first place.
The fact that Duke sold stuff to hasten the break-in of his engines just floors me. That just screams trouble, especially in this day and age. Might be a good thing stuff like that isn't around much anymore.
Somebody had to say it...
Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 PM
earlwb

Fox quit selling the Lustrox stuff many years ago. Maybe middle 1970's or so was the last they sold the stuff. But they may have stopped selling it before then. It was for the lapped piston engines, not the ringed or ABC engines.

Well many years ago many companies sold engines like how Fox made and sold them. Some of those engines required a lot of reworking to get them to run too. Some of those companies were much more worse about it. It really sucked to buy a exotic foreign engine and it needed to be reworked before you could use it even. Serious reworking not so much simple stuff. Like having to fit a new piston as the piston was too small.

So the engines have come a long way from way back then too. So yes I can agree that maybe Fox hadn't quite modernized their methods enough.

But now that pretty much leaves Jett Engineering as the last American model glow engine company making engines in the USA. MECOA is a big maybe as they aren't really making anything much now either.

But I do have to say that the Chinese company Sanye (ASP, etc) has come a long way and is generally making pretty good engines. They have to be subsidized somehow to make them so cheap.

Last edited by earlwb; 11-29-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 AM
74SEVEN7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re. FOX "Lustrox", it might be interesting to learn that the great Peter Chinn was not averse to using it. Read the "Performance" section of his 1980 test of the FOX 36 RX - and it had the alloy piston !
http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...ox%2036RX.html
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74SEVEN7
Re. FOX "Lustrox", it might be interesting to learn that the great Peter Chinn was not averse to using it. Read the "Performance" section of his 1980 test of the FOX 36 RX - and it had the alloy piston !
http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...ox%2036RX.html
Funny that he used it because he thought the engine had a tight bearing.

CR
Old 12-01-2014, 03:42 PM
74SEVEN7

I may be wrong here (we need an expert engineer's opinion) but I suspect that "Lustrox" worked like this - it would have maximum abrasive effect on tight, closely fitted items (such as a tight bushed bearing) and correspondingly less effect on looser fitted mating surfaces. Even Duke himself recommended caution in using "Lustrox", but in the case of Chinn's Fox 36RX, it may just have needed that pinch of powder to free-up the bearing, whilst having little effect on the other fits.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Charley

I forgot that the engine in the article was a bushing type. Made sense to use the Lustrox.

CR
Old 12-01-2014, 08:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley
I forgot that the engine in the article was a bushing type. Made sense to use the Lustrox.

CR
A ringed bushing engine no less.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 AM
74SEVEN7

There were lots of those
Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by 74SEVEN7
I may be wrong here (we need an expert engineer's opinion) but I suspect that "Lustrox" worked like this - it would have maximum abrasive effect on tight, closely fitted items (such as a tight bushed bearing) and correspondingly less effect on looser fitted mating surfaces. Even Duke himself recommended caution in using "Lustrox", but in the case of Chinn's Fox 36RX, it may just have needed that pinch of powder to free-up the bearing, whilst having little effect on the other fits.
Well Fox used a extra super fine grade of garnet powder for the Lustrox. It was so fine that it would suspend in the oil film and not grind or polish anything. But if there was a high spot someplace then the garnet would get squeezed into the high spot and polish or grind it down until it wasn't a high spot anymore. Anyway that was how Fox explained that it worked. So in a engine that didn't have any wear points or high spots the lustrox wouldn't wear anything out. I remember him demonstrating it one day. He daubed in a whole package of the stuff into a engine that was running, and it didn't appear to hurt the engine at all. I don't suggest anyone repeat it though. But it was quite interesting at the time.

Now using Lustrox with a ball bearing engine is not good, as the bearings would come close to contacting the races, and the Lustrox garnet powder may actually wear the bearings out.

Last edited by earlwb; 12-02-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmmm, I used to use the Silvo compound in my old Rossi .15 bearings to give a little more clearance. They were going over 30,000 rpm, and I thought they would run more free. (freeer looser, cooler whatever) Isn't grease just oil mixed with a very fine clay? It doesn't seem to damage anything if it is fine enough.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
earlwb

Yes, I now remember some guys doing that with the BB racing engines too. I never tried it myself. The premise for using it in a BB racing engine makes sense actually. Whether it works or not would be the real question. Modifying a racing engine is one of those things, where you keep changing something until it quits working right and then you toss that one in the trash can and pull another one out to have a go at it again.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

I'm certainly no expert, but the theory of selective abrasion in a running engine just doesn't make sense to me.

Sure, the tight spots may be polished a bit faster, but the high pressure areas on the crank pin, and crank shaft must certainly wear prematurely as well. Duke was a master designer, and superb salesman, but wasn't he also a master of hype! <G>

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by aspeed

Hmmmmm,

I used to use the Silvo compound in my old Rossi .15 bearings to give a little more clearance. They were going over 30,000 rpm, and I thought they would run more free. (freeer looser, cooler whatever) Isn't grease just oil mixed with a very fine clay? It doesn't seem to damage anything if it is fine enough.
Grease is a mixture of oil and soap.

The soap keeps the oil ( the lubricant ) where it should be instead of spreading all over.

Zor
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 PM
aspeed

Oh. I guess that is better than mud then :-)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM
aspeed

Originally Posted by earlwb
Modifying a racing engine is one of those things, where you keep changing something until it quits working right and then you toss that one in the trash can and pull another one out to have a go at it again.
Sometimes you can shim liners and do things that can be reversed, new heads, venturis, but yes, sometimes you use the trash can. I am afraid to port a piston any more for that reason.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by Bill Adair
I'm certainly no expert, but the theory of selective abrasion in a running engine just doesn't make sense to me.

Sure, the tight spots may be polished a bit faster, but the high pressure areas on the crank pin, and crank shaft must certainly wear prematurely as well. Duke was a master designer, and superb salesman, but wasn't he also a master of hype! <G>

Bill
This Lustrox deal has been analyzed to death. In Model Airplane News magazine (MAN for short), Duke Fox would publish a column called "Dukes Mixture." He wrote about Lustrox in a couple of them. Now, you have to understand that Duke loved CL Combat. If you went to a AMA Nats, the CL Combat circle was where you'd find Duke; him, his Rolls and his chauffeur. I went and talked to him a few times when I was working the Nats.

Anyway, Lustrox was a means to quickly break-in his iron-piston engines and their crank bushings. That's what Duke wrote in MAN and that's what he told a few of the CL guys when I was lurking around. They went through a lot of engines in CL Combat!

Oh well, just the ruminations of an OF......

CR
Old 12-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Zor
Grease is a mixture of oil and soap.

The soap keeps the oil ( the lubricant ) where it should be instead of spreading all over.

Zor
Actually they use stearic acid, it is found is soap and is found in animal fat, it is the substance that keeps soap and fat in a solid or simisolid state but is not actually soap or fat itself.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

Actually they use stearic acid, it is found is soap and is found in animal fat, it is the substance that keeps soap and fat in a solid or simisolid state but is not actually soap or fat itself.
Thanks Sport_Pilot for more precice information.

Our sources of knowledge are not always fully satisfactory.

Zor
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 AM
hsukaria

Folks, I am looking for a good Fox 45 piston liner for rebuilding mine. The one I have is pitted a little It might be ok, but it's good to try with a better liner. I am willing to pay or trade. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Can you post specs and a pic or two? May have something here.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 AM
hsukaria

I don't have them on me now, I will have to wait to this evening. I put in a new Bowman piston ring and compression feels quite good by hand turning. I have not run the engine yet. I thought I could try for a better liner if I can get one. Otherwise, I will go ahead and run it with the old liner.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
VampeD4
My Feedback: (80)

did you try Fox ?? http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...ndex&cPath=143

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.