Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
So, you won't be interested in the small carb I have spare? I am giving it away in case you need it for your small 40.
Both of my small .40's have complete carbs. If I needed one, I'd take you up on yours. I had gotten a carb carcass with the beat up lapped .40 I got awhile back and I couldn't get it to run worth crap with the carb from my old .40 that blew up. Swapped in the carcass parts (body, spraybar) and the needles and inlet from the other one and it ran much better. The hole in the spraybar in the poor running carb was way too big.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:50 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Both of my small .40's have complete carbs. If I needed one, I'd take you up on yours. I had gotten a carb carcass with the beat up lapped .40 I got awhile back and I couldn't get it to run worth crap with the carb from my old .40 that blew up. Swapped in the carcass parts (body, spraybar) and the needles and inlet from the other one and it ran much better. The hole in the spraybar in the poor running carb was way too big.
Do you remember if it had a barrel spring? My pile of parts doesn't include a spring. If it needs one, I'll dig something up and assemble it.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

No spring.

Its pretty quiet on that other forum...
Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 PM
hsukaria

No spring.

Its pretty quiet on that other forum...
Well, my work now is trying to get a better liner. Then I won't get to run the engine, or any other engine, until Spring.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Did you scuff the inside of the liner already? If so, did those spots show before AND after scuffing the liner?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 PM
hsukaria

Did you scuff the inside of the liner already? If so, did those spots show before AND after scuffing the liner?
Yes, those spots were always there. They really are pits, not just discoloration.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Okay. I wasn't sure if the picture was taken before or after roughing up the liner. Bummer.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My SuperTigre .51 has those exact, same streaks on the cylinder wall. We're having some of your weather here today. It's 10 degrees out right now. We didn't get any of the snow, but it's all around us.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The last few days I heard the Minneapolis/St. Paul area weather has been in the national news this week. Yuck. Sadly, I'd never want to live anywhere else.

It's so cold, a model engine left in the garage overnight locks up solid like it sat with castor goo inside for 10 years. Castor oil settles out of methanol when it's this cold as well. It's around 0F right now in my neighborhood, with 1-2" of snow expected and 15-20mph wind.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 AM
hsukaria

The last few days I heard the Minneapolis/St. Paul area weather has been in the national news this week. Yuck. Sadly, I'd never want to live anywhere else.

It's so cold, a model engine left in the garage overnight locks up solid like it sat with castor goo inside for 10 years. Castor oil settles out of methanol when it's this cold as well. It's around 0F right now in my neighborhood, with 1-2" of snow expected and 15-20mph wind.
I am in the process of buying a used good liner. I hope the deal works out. It might be ok to use this beatup liner, but after all the other things I fixed on this engine, I would like to finish it right.
Our weather is similar this morning, 0 deg with wind chill. My wife and some friends are planning to go and check out some ice sculptures tomorrow...outdoors. I can't imagine why that would be considered a fun thing at these temps. I'm going to the basement!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish you all the best for getting a new liner. Yeah saving the old liner would entail honing it out to remove the pits. Then making a new piston to fit the larger bore cylinder. Depending on how much material needs to be removed, then one may have to make a new cylinder instead. But that isn't a trivial thing to do though.
Bummer on the spots that are really pits in the cylinder.

I did get a bag of parts from someone for a Fox Eagle IV .60 engine. It had sat in the water during one of the Mississippi River floods. The cylinder was rusted out on it and not salvageable. But as soon as the temperatures improve out here (it is 17 degrees F at this time) I plan on exploring some other possibilities for a new cylinder and piston for it.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by earlwb
I wish you all the best for getting a new liner. Yeah saving the old liner would entail honing it out to remove the pits. Then making a new piston to fit the larger bore cylinder. Depending on how much material needs to be removed, then one may have to make a new cylinder instead. But that isn't a trivial thing to do though.
Bummer on the spots that are really pits in the cylinder.

I did get a bag of parts from someone for a Fox Eagle IV .60 engine. It had sat in the water during one of the Mississippi River floods. The cylinder was rusted out on it and not salvageable. But as soon as the temperatures improve out here (it is 17 degrees F at this time) I plan on exploring some other possibilities for a new cylinder and piston for it.
I think I found somebody with a good liner for it. So that is good news. I am also purchasing the gaskets for the backplate and carb. I tried once again to make my own gasket for the fox 45 backplate, and it aint pretty. I even followed everybody's advice, to no avail.

Earl, as you mentioned before, trying to fit something like a new Sanye ABC p/l to an old engine might be a good trick if doable. I am not that well versed in machining, so I settled for the original parts.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:17 PM
earlwb

Well, my DIY gaskets tend to not look pretty either. But they were functional and they worked.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:05 AM
hsukaria

I got the new (used) liner and gaskets for my Fox 45. I assembled the engine. Now I need good weather to begin the break-in process. I know it has been mentioned before, but can someone remind me what the HSN and LSN should be set to initially? This is an MkX carb with a 0.312" venturi. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
My SuperTigre .51 has those exact, same streaks on the cylinder wall. We're having some of your weather here today. It's 10 degrees out right now. We didn't get any of the snow, but it's all around us.
Hobbsy, are you running the SuperTigre .51 with a pitted liner? Is it running ok? Just curious in case I have the same issue someday.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM
earlwb

I got the new (used) liner and gaskets for my Fox 45. I assembled the engine. Now I need good weather to begin the break-in process. I know it has been mentioned before, but can someone remind me what the HSN and LSN should be set to initially? This is an MkX carb with a 0.312" venturi. Thanks.
Here you go:
If the carburetor is far out of adjustment and the engine will not run, begin by screwing the high-speed needle all the way in, then turn it out 3 turns. Next close the throttle barrel until only a small slit is showing, then connect a length of tubing to the fuel nipple and blow through it. Adjust the idle needle until air is just able to pass through the tubing. As the throttle is opened there should be a noticeable increase in air-flow. This should give you a ballpark setting to begin with. Start the engine, advance to full throttle, then adjust the high-speed needle until the engine holds a steady 2-stroke setting. Next, reduce the throttle until the engine is at a fast idle, then, after a few seconds, advance the throttle smoothly. The engine should quickly, and smoothly, return to full throttle.
The low speed is about 1 and 1/5 turns out. My hearing is getting bad so I can't normally use the air blowing method much anymore.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by earlwb
Here you go:

The low speed is about 1 and 1/5 turns out. My hearing is getting bad so I can't normally use the air blowing method much anymore.
Thanks Earl. Now I just need some good, warm weather. That's the hardest part, I thin.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

Called Fox today. The lady said that they will not be making any engines anytime soon. But they are aware of other manufactures also not making any engines. If the demand for model engines goes up either because of the economy or lack of new engines, they may get back in.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Called Fox today. The lady said that they will not be making any engines anytime soon. But they are aware of other manufactures also not making any engines. If the demand for model engines goes up either because of the economy or lack of new engines, they may get back in.
Let's hope!! So many engine manuf. quit, there is eventually going to be some demand.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Dub Jett is still making engines in his shop in Houston. Spend twice the money on a Jett and get 10 times the smiles (and 30-40% more power).
Old 02-25-2015, 02:47 PM
hsukaria

Dub Jett is still making engines in his shop in Houston. Spend twice the money on a Jett and get 10 times the smiles (and 30-40% more power).
Yep, when all are gone, there's Jett. But most of us can't afford that kind of money. It is really more than double when you factor the half-off deal that Fox used to have for sending old dead engines as a swap.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yep, when all are gone, there's Jett. But most of us can't afford that kind of money. It is really more than double when you factor the half-off deal that Fox used to have for sending old dead engines as a swap.
Half off their "list price". You don't get half off their "sale" price.

There are lots of other engines that last as long or longer than a Fox, and perform better than a Fox for same or similar money. I'd trade up for an ASP/Magnum before I'd consider every buying another Fox.

I bought the Fox engines I did/have because so many here on RCU in this thread always said they ran well and lasted forever. Never saw anyone on any other forums speak as highly of them as they were here. The lessons I've learned about Fox engines is this... They are delicate engines. If you don't plan to modify carburetor parts in the event of a mis-shapen needle valve, have to change head buttons or add head shims to use more nitro, or use idle bar plugs because they run so poorly in the midrange, you're not ready to "power-up" with a Fox Gold Cup engine.

Some have had good luck with them, and I've had a couple that ran okay..... but they seem to be much more work than they're worth.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-25-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well this is the Fox thread, but Novarossi is still around for a bit, as well as the ASP/Magnum. They both have a very small distributor network. The Jett and Nelson are good too. Really better than the companies that have folded or hibernated. If you must have a Fox/TT/Webra etc. pick them up now on Epay or swap meets, there are still lots around.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 PM
earlwb

Well you could always go with Enya engines. They wear well and last a long time.
Unfortunately I think 1QwkSport2.5r wound up with bad luck on his Fox engine purchases. it wasn't good. he did encounter some issues I hadn't seen before.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 AM
hsukaria

I know for me, I bought all my Fox engines old and quite used. So, I would expect some work would be required to get them back to good shape. Also, the vintage of the engines would make them more finicky. You can't really compare a brand new engine to one that is 30 years old and worn out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.