Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I received the Fox .50, it's a mess but has decent compression, New BOCA Bearings are already on the way. It's currently in the antifreeze tank cookin. I already tossed the loser Phillips Head Screws and have the socket head MicroFastener Screws laid out. I cleaned out every bolt hole with a tap, then sprayed each hole out with Brakleen. It'll be a goodun in a day or so.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox 50.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2078382  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That crockpot trick works miracles.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
That crockpot trick works miracles.

Yes it does. I found out from experience (only once though), that using pure antifreeze is less likely to discolor (darken) the aluminum than the diluted antifreeze.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too run wildcat fuels. one of the best that have found!!!!!!!!! hope they don't quit!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM
fujiman

i also updated ALL my foxes from loser phillips screws to socket SS machine screws. just like them better.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yikes! Never used diluted. I would not want any water, or whatever in that process. Otherwise, it make them look like new.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Yikes! Never used diluted. I would not want any water, or whatever in that process. Otherwise, it make them look like new.
I was out of the undiluted once, so I grabbed some diluted from the garage, thinking "what the heck!!". Well, now I know. It wasn't on a Fox engine, and it only messed up part of the muffler, which doesn't bother me much. But still, now I know to be more careful about that.
I also replaced all the phillips with allen heads. Actually, one engine had a couple of flat head screws, obviously not originals.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, Hobbsy. That one has been around the block a few times.

Fit an adapter and a larger 40 class muffler and that one will be a gem.

I think I have one for a second engine somewhere, but as is usual by spring the build room is a disaster.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Wow, Hobbsy. That one has been around the block a few times.

Fit an adapter and a larger 40 class muffler and that one will be a gem.

I think I have one for a second engine somewhere, but as is usual by spring the build room is a disaster.
Hi Cougar, are you suggesting that Hobbsy use a less restrictive muffler than the stock Fox muffler?

I plan on shopping for some mufflers for my fox small case 40s this year in the Toledo Show. I have 2 C-case 40s, one with a stock muffler and another without any muffer. I plan on building a mousse can muffler for both. I need to get good at fabricating adapters though. I made a one-piece adapter for my fox 45 to use a mousse can muffler. But the adapter is only good for bench testing because to install or remove the muffler, I have to remove the backplate to access the adapter screws.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Not less restrictive, just quieter. A larger muffler has more time for the gasses to cool and volume to reduce, the reason you often see a much smaller outlet on that type. I found it was not necessary to go with the longer GMS style that inserts an alloy sleeve between the front and back housings.

As posted a while ago, my ONLY complaint with Fox was the rather loud exhaust. When I fitted the OS muffler to the 50BB's their exhaust was tamed to the rest of the 40 class engines with no discernible loss of performance.

An adapter is required due to the odd port dimensions on the Fox, with a taller and shorter profile than most other engines in that class. More often they followed the OS style in long and narrow. The adapter has to be able to fit the heads on the cap screws and that generally gives enough depth to allow for port profiling to match both ends. It does take a bit of time and effort to mark and match, but worth the effort.

Due to the bolt spacing on the Eagle IV 60 I could not follow that pattern and had to make the adapter in two pieces.

Also, if the surfaces are flat no gasket or sealant is required. One is shown there for a test due to the rather narrow wall thickness top and bottom on the OS873 that was sitting in spares and to help mark the port shape. I had to ensure the facing was flat on pretty much all the engines as they were far from perfect.

ps. As usual, we plan to hit Toledo on Friday. Be great to meet up and perhaps grab lunch.

Name:	Picture 079.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	2078739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 084.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	2078740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 086.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	2078741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 310.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	2078742  

Last edited by Cougar429; 03-04-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Hobbsy sent me an MVVS muffler that fits the .50 (and also the B-case .40, .45, & .46 I believe). I see MVVS stuff for sale periodically on RCG and ebay. Might be worth a look for those with B-case engines needing a quieter muffler. I haven't ran the FrankenFox on it yet, but I suspect performance to be better and also be a fair bit quieter than the Fox .50 stock muffler. When it gets warmer, I'm gonna put the new P/L into the .50 and get the diesel head back on it.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Not less restrictive, just quieter. A larger muffler has more time for the gasses to cool and volume to reduce, the reason you often see a much smaller outlet on that type. I found it was not necessary to go with the longer GMS style that inserts an alloy sleeve between the front and back housings.

As posted a while ago, my ONLY complaint with Fox was the rather loud exhaust. When I fitted the OS muffler to the 50BB's their exhaust was tamed to the rest of the 40 class engines with no discernible loss of performance.

An adapter is required due to the odd port dimensions on the Fox, with a taller and shorter profile than most other engines in that class. More often they followed the OS style in long and narrow. The adapter has to be able to fit the heads on the cap screws and that generally gives enough depth to allow for port profiling to match both ends. It does take a bit of time and effort to mark and match, but worth the effort.

Due to the bolt spacing on the Eagle IV 60 I could not follow that pattern and had to make the adapter in two pieces.

Also, if the surfaces are flat no gasket or sealant is required. One is shown there for a test due to the rather narrow wall thickness top and bottom on the OS873 that was sitting in spares. I had to ensure the facing was flat on pretty much all the engines as they were far from perfect.

ps. As usual, we plan to hit Toledo on Friday. Be great to meet up and perhaps grab lunch.
I usually go to Toledo on Saturday, but I will see if I can take time off work and go on Friday. The swap meet would have better selection on Friday anyway. I will let you know if I can do it.

Regarding muffler adapters, I purchased a one-piece adapter from Jett when I bought a tuned muffler for my Fox 74. I don't know if they make one for the C-case 40. I might call and find out. I got too many other projects right now to try to fabricate adapters, especially nice ones. (you should see the nasty adapter I cobbled up!!)

BTW, I also used an OS 873 muffler for my Fox 45 and it sounded nice. But now I took out the aft section and added a huge mousse can to it. Not tested yet due to weather. I will post the results when I get the engine run-in and tuned.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Hobbsy sent me an MVVS muffler that fits the .50 (and also the B-case .40, .45, & .46 I believe). I see MVVS stuff for sale periodically on RCG and ebay. Might be worth a look for those with B-case engines needing a quieter muffler. I haven't ran the FrankenFox on it yet, but I suspect performance to be better and also be a fair bit quieter than the Fox .50 stock muffler. When it gets warmer, I'm gonna put the new P/L into the .50 and get the diesel head back on it.
That reminded me, I have an MVVS muffler and header that fit my Fox 74. But not sure what out there would fit the C-case Fox 40.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM
hsukaria

My last dodge I bought was a year old and 50k miles. Sold it to my dad with 237k and it's still going. 318 Magnum. It's tired, but it'll still start on a -20F day and will get you to work in 20" of snow. My current dodge has a lot more power but pathetic Goodyear tires. Only complaint with the truck is the cheap crappy tires they put on it. I'm a Mopar man for a daily driver, but my little go-fast rig is a 370hp (estimated) 358ci v8 equipped Chev S-10 2wd. I call it the fugly 5 liter eater. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the ugly beast.
You dislike the Fox engines for their shortcomings but you drive Chrysler products???!!! Those are the worst cars anywhere!!! You're better off with a Yugo.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Davis Diesel used to make a strap-on Soundmaster muffler for the .50. I could carry on a normal conversation next to the engine whilst running it full bore. Lost it in a crash, though.

CR
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Charley
Davis Diesel used to make a strap-on Soundmaster muffler for the .50. I could carry on a normal conversation next to the engine whilst running it full bore. Lost it in a crash, though.

CR
I have a Davis Soundmaster muffler, but would need to make an adapter to fit the Fox. It will fit the OS Max 80-H without modification.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by hsukaria
You dislike the Fox engines for their shortcomings but you drive Chrysler products???!!! Those are the worst cars anywhere!!! You're better off with a Yugo.
I've driven a Dodge since I got my drivers license and I've never had any serious problems with them. My 98 Dakota was bought a year old with 50k on it and I drove it for 13 years and sold it to my dad with 237k on it and still runs good. The 318 is a bit tired, but it never left me walking. My wife and I both drive Dodges (she used to have a Chevy) and we've had no big problems with either of them. I'll always drive a Dodge. New Chevy's and Ford's are ugly IMO.

Come on.. A Yugo?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 AM
hsukaria

I've driven a Dodge since I got my drivers license and I've never had any serious problems with them. My 98 Dakota was bought a year old with 50k on it and I drove it for 13 years and sold it to my dad with 237k on it and still runs good. The 318 is a bit tired, but it never left me walking. My wife and I both drive Dodges (she used to have a Chevy) and we've had no big problems with either of them. I'll always drive a Dodge. New Chevy's and Ford's are ugly IMO.

Come on.. A Yugo?
You sold your old Dodge to your dad? The poor guy!!! (just messing with you)

I am slightly biased, I have/am working for both Ford and GM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Hey, I had a '88 Yugo GV that we drove for over 200K miles. Got over 35 MPG. Most people don't know the Yugo was a Fiat 124 built in Yugoslavia under license with Fiat tooling.

CR

CR
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Hobbsy

I am mostly a Ford guy but I've had two very good Dodges over the years, a 68 Dodge long wheel base van with a 225 slant six and 1971 Coronet wagon with the small block 318. My lone GM product was 1973 Chevy Vega Camback wagon on which I had Koni shocks and a 2.25 inch exhaust system that I pretty much made my self and it fed a Thrush Turbo Muffler. It was the two barrel version and automatic.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM
fujiman

FIAT stands for FIX.....IT.....AGAIN......TONY!!!!!!!!!! back in 1972 and 3 i worked as a mechanic/service manager for a fiat dealership. nothing but trouble with them. fiat cars were so bad they went out of bus. in this country. after a few years when all the dust settled down they tried again with the yugo!!!!!!!!!! wasn't long and people saw the lite and red tagged them also. now fiat has bought Chrysler!!!!!! OH BOY HERE WE GO AGAIN........maybe the 3RD time will be a charm. we will just have to wait and see. in the1960's, Chrysler's line of cars rocked!!!!!!!!! and still do, lots of them being restored and worth a ton of money. But getting back to the fox issue, i like the hawk .60, one of the better 60 class engine of the day in my opinion.

Last edited by fujiman; 03-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Hobbsy

Cougar, the MVVS 3245 for the .49 fits the Fox .56 and .50 perfectly.

Name:	Diesel .50s 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2078788  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a header could be used for the .50 and a mouse can muffler. A bit lighter, less damage from crashes, and additional power from open exh, not to mention the loss from any muffler besides maybe the Jett types. Most Fox mufflers were designed in the 1970's when a muffler was not socially accepted, so they were not developed till the 90's which was after Dukes ruling. Don't tell me about Yugos. High maintenance for sure. I have been married to one for 35 years. ( I better not tell her that though) We never sold them in Canada, but had the Lada and Dacia which were bad news. I had a new Dodge Charger/Turismo type which I thought was good at the time. 50 mpg, and a nice ride. When I look back, it was bad, stranded a few times when it was still under warranty, shifter falling off.... Not a Dodge fan, but I just got a PT Cruiser now, and it seems much better quality than before.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:12 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charley
Hey, I had a '88 Yugo GV that we drove for over 200K miles. Got over 35 MPG. Most people don't know the Yugo was a Fiat 124 built in Yugoslavia under license with Fiat tooling.

CR

CR
Just don't drive it across a bridge in windy conditions!! Bad news.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Charley

Married to a Yugo, LOL! Well mine was good - both the wife & the Yugo - but I had a Fiat 128 Spyder with a DOHC engine & 5-spd that was a lot of fun to drive but blew the head gasket if it got the tiniest bit hot. The last time it did that I had to shim the head. Got rid of it to a self-proclaimed automotive expert who was a gas station mechanic. He knew more about it than I did, he implied. "Go in peace," said I, as soon as he gave me the $$$.

But neither the Yugo or the Spyder ever stranded me.

Y'know, I have a Fox Eagle 4 .60 ABC that i'll never use. I think I have a Mac's Quiet pipe & header for it, cut for a 12x8 on 15% nitro. Have to look. Anyone want to buy it?

CR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.