Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The balsa wood has gotten quite expensive. Buying the wood to scratch build a model has become quite expensive. Worse is that the wood selection isn't all that great at many LHS's either, too hard, too soft or defects in it. If you order it online, you you don't know what they will send you. The ARFs are cheap in comparison and they come pre-built for the most part. But even with the ARF's they tend to use unknown quality plywood, very little glue and the balsa is still questionable. I have to visit several LHS's to find enough wood to build something anymore, a few pieces from one store and a few more from another and so on.

I do like that Sun Fli, it looks a lot like a Kaos too. There is something to say for the simple box design planes. Yeah you can see the evolution of the pattern plane development with the Bridi planes if you check them out in historical order. I am thinking about getting one of them too.

Like you I have numerous projects in the works or planned, so it isn't like I will be getting right into building one right way.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Thanks, Hugh, it has a Fox IdleBar plug in it. I wouldn't know quite where to go from there. I could try the blue one here, it is a cool plug. Made by Taipan in OZ
A Fox #8 may be cooler. Do they still make plugs?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:39 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u want to speed up the built from scratch plane or don't have all the equip. to cut out all the pieces or can't find a ready made build type kit and if you supply the plans, Cornell Michael's kit cutting can cut u a beautifully cut kit and he knows how to do it rite. He has cut several warbird models for me and some custom kits.....modified them for some special projects of mine. kit cutting is not his main stay business wise so u will need to be patient and not be pushy. i can supply email and ph# if u would like.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hugh, Tower still has some of Fox plugs in stock including the #8's, no Miracle Plugs though, I need a couple of the Miracles for a Saito 1.00 twin I'm expecting.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Hugh, Tower still has some of Fox plugs in stock including the #8's, no Miracle Plugs though, I need a couple of the Miracles for a Saito 1.00 twin I'm expecting.
If you have a pair of Fox idlebar plugs laying around, they work superbly using 5-10% nitro in 4-strokes. In my experience (though limited), they performed better than the Miracle plug and the OS F plug.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Hobbsy

I just went looking online for some Miracles for a Saito 1.00 I'm expecting, so far no luck. I'll call Sharon Monday and check with her.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I just went looking online for some Miracles for a Saito 1.00 I'm expecting, so far no luck. I'll call Sharon Monday and check with her.
If you are just looking for a pair for now and don't find any elsewhere, I might have two new Miracle plugs around here. I know I have one for sure. If I can find a pair, I'll let you know in case you want them.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by earlwb
The balsa wood has gotten quite expensive. Buying the wood to scratch build a model has become quite expensive. Worse is that the wood selection isn't all that great at many LHS's either, too hard, too soft or defects in it. If you order it online, you you don't know what they will send you. The ARFs are cheap in comparison and they come pre-built for the most part. But even with the ARF's they tend to use unknown quality plywood, very little glue and the balsa is still questionable. I have to visit several LHS's to find enough wood to build something anymore, a few pieces from one store and a few more from another and so on.

I do like that Sun Fli, it looks a lot like a Kaos too. There is something to say for the simple box design planes. Yeah you can see the evolution of the pattern plane development with the Bridi planes if you check them out in historical order. I am thinking about getting one of them too.

Like you I have numerous projects in the works or planned, so it isn't like I will be getting right into building one right way.
I just cannot agree with this, sorry. I can build a 1/5th scale warbird for under $600 maybe less, painted to the ARF stage. And the quality would be 10 time what the ARF is, as it would be fiberglassed and painted. This sized ARF warbird now is pushing $1000. While balsa prices may be up, I really have not tracked the prices, but I have not noticed a significant enough of a jump to prevent me from scratch building. And that is all I do. If you go with Balsa USA or NAtional balsa, you can be assured you will get good wood. If you need something specific, contest grade etc. , they can sort for you as well.

If you are talking about these small .60 sized pattern planes, then there is no reason why you could not have one framed up under $100. The Dirty birdy ARF is $300. It really comes down to how much effort you want to put in. Building is the hobby for me. My flying is more purpose oriented as I am a competitor. Just flying around the sky got boring for me long ago. But that is what makes the hobby great right! I think I prefer CL flying more than RC, even though RC is what I am involved in most.

Hence my interest in Fox engines. At this point all of my Foxes are .36 combat engines. Maybe one day I will pick up a .15 schnuerle, I always wanted one of those.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 03-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Hobbsy

Thanks much. I'll keep my eyes here.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks much. I'll keep my eyes here.
I have one new one for sure and one that has a few runs on it. I think there might be 3-4 tanks of fuel on the one although it looks a lot more used in the picture than it is. If you want them, PM me your address Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2081407  
Old 03-14-2015, 03:13 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Just got a pair of FOX 59 control line engines from a friend. One is the short nose version and the other the long nose version. Really interesting to look at the long nose and see the quality of the manufacture. Both freed up and have great compression. Don't know what I am going to do with them but they are nice. When I first started rc in 1971 one of our club members had a Smog Hog with an EK radio and Fox 59 R/C engine. It was quite something at the time.
Larry
Old 03-14-2015, 03:36 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
Just got a pair of FOX 59 control line engines from a friend. One is the short nose version and the other the long nose version. Really interesting to look at the long nose and see the quality of the manufacture. Both freed up and have great compression. Don't know what I am going to do with them but they are nice. When I first started rc in 1971 one of our club members had a Smog Hog with an EK radio and Fox 59 R/C engine. It was quite something at the time.
Larry
Dang Larry, build one of those larger Shark CL stunters for that .59 long nose. Do you fly CL? I may have to bring down a 1/2 a to fly during off hours for a demo at your event.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:40 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
Larry
been modeling since dirt was invented, rc since 1974. rc has come a LONG way since then. my 1st radio was a hobby shack cirrus 6 ch. $199.99 (no servo reversing and had to buy extra reverse servos). engines prices have gone up and radios have come down.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

I just picked up a used 46. Was going to bid on a .50 as well but got back to the computer to late.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM
hsukaria

Ok, I know from experience and reading here that the MVVS and Rossi mufflers fit on the similar sized Fox engines. But I have only seen that for the B-case and larger engines. Is there a particular non-Fox muffler that fits the smaller C-case engines, like the 40 Standard? I don't mind using a Macs one-piece or similar. I just don't see the Fox engines listed in the MACS website and they don't provide a phone number to call and ask.

I am missing a muffler for this engine and if would like to try a muffler without the need to carve out an adapter if I have that option.

Last edited by hsukaria; 03-17-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM
earlwb

I think that there is a alternate brand that fits. But I don't have a engine handy to measure and compare on the MAC's website though. If you have your engine out, you can measure it and take a look see.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by earlwb
I think that there is a alternate brand that fits. But I don't have a engine handy to measure and compare on the MAC's website though. If you have your engine out, you can measure it and take a look see.
I will check again this evening. But the bolt spacing on the C-case didn't seem to match what was listed. Besides, the bolt spacing on the smaller C-case is actually WIDER than the bigger B-case engine. The B-case, however, has a taller exhaust opening. That is why I was not sure what would fit.

I plan on taking the Fox 45 and 40 with me to the Toledo Show in a few weeks and rummage through the used muffler piles.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Pretty sure MAC's makes a header which can be used with a mousse can.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pretty sure MAC's makes a header which can be used with a mousse can.
They list headers for the Fox 45 and 50 ,which I might get anyway for my 45. But they don't list anything for the C-case engines. The closest thing I got was the old bolton Irvine 40, but it doesn't match the Fox, a bit wider bolt spacing. I will have to go back home and re-check everything.

I will settle for an adapter, if they make one. I also called Jett Engineering to see if they make an adapter, but I have not received a call back from them yet.

Last edited by hsukaria; 03-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

I checked with MVVS on a muffler for the 50 and it's no longer available.

I've seen the listing on MACs site. May have to have a boo through the exhibitors list to see if they will be at Toledo.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429

I've seen the listing on MACs site. May have to have a boo through the exhibitors list to see if they will be at Toledo.
I had seen MACs mufflers at Toledo Show in the past, but not more recently. So, no telling. But I will take my 2 engines with me and shop around for mufflers.

The bolt spacing for the Fox 45 B-case is 15/16 inch. The bolt spacing for the Fox 40 C-case is 1 1/16 inch. MACs sells a header and one-piece muffler for the Norvel 25 that is 1 1/16 (1.062") That might work.

The MACs website lists headers for the Fox 45 and 50, but states that the bolt spacing is 1.10". That is not what I am measuring on my 45, 15/16" (0.9375").

Last edited by hsukaria; 03-17-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:27 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429

I just called MACs and ordered a header for the Fox 45 and a one-piece muffler and adapter for the Fox 40. The Fox 45 header is not listed anymore on their website since it is an older engine. But they still had it in stock. So you might want to call them up and find out.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:48 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is Bisson mufflers too.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I just called MACs and ordered a header for the Fox 45 and a one-piece muffler and adapter for the Fox 40. The Fox 45 header is not listed anymore on their website since it is an older engine. But they still had it in stock. So you might want to call them up and find out.
Pretty sure that the 45 has the same spacing as the OS 40 FSR.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

fuel man , how do you get your 74s to transition well ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.