Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Old 07-20-2015, 04:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

For those that think I'm not as technically educated, capable of anything technical, or otherwise question my credibility..... You're right. Couldn't and still can't afford college. Maybe someday. Not today, and not tomorrow. I will say that I do know how to tell if a circlip is seated in a piston. It's sad when a part like a circlip fails, and it's especially sad when I had nothing to do with the original part failing other than simply running the engine. I probably did that wrong though, I never do anything right according to certain kinds of people. Oh well, I don't care. I might be dumb in a miriad of ways, but I'm not completely stupid. I also find it utterly amazing that some people make it a point in life to spend copious amounts of time berating other people. Why? To show how "superior" you are to everyone else? Get a life. Get off the internet fora and go fly some planes or something constructive. Seriously, it's for your own health and safety.

blah. In the words of Mr. T.... "I pity the fool". At least I can spell AND I can post without being told what I should be saying or where.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 07-20-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: You're never gonna save the world!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:08 PM
flynal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys thanks for all the input.I'mvery disappointed this engine didnt work out ,but I'm not ready to give up just yet.i think I'll keep my eye open for another eagle 4 and put good parts from this engine on it.i did like the power and how It ran for its short life.and qwksport you don't need a education to be smart,experience counts.thanks for your comments.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by flynal
Alright guys thanks for all the input.I'mvery disappointed this engine didnt work out ,but I'm not ready to give up just yet.i think I'll keep my eye open for another eagle 4 and put good parts from this engine on it.i did like the power and how It ran for its short life.and qwksport you don't need a education to be smart,experience counts.thanks for your comments.
My last post was aimed at a troll that reads this forum and bashes most of the guys that reply in it for one reason or another. My experience means nothing due to my technically ineptness, ignorance, and what have you. Take it with a grain of salt like most everyone else. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few that seem to show up and argue for the sake of it. Annoyed as that does not help the OP or threads in any way.

I went back and had a boo at the post indicated and the carb is partially hidden within a cowl. Anyone have a more detailed pic? Are they available or are we stuck with Perry?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429
There are a few that seem to show up and argue for the sake of it. Annoyed as that does not help the OP or threads in any way.

I went back and had a boo at the post indicated and the carb is partially hidden within a cowl. Anyone have a more detailed pic? Are they available or are we stuck with Perry?
They are not available from Fox I don't think. They are a direct replacement fit to any of the flange mounted Fox carbs. I replaced the EZ carb on my 74 with the new carb with perfect fit and performance. I then removed it and placed it on a 45 that had an MkX carb with no issues either. The venturi size might be on the large end for a 45, but it still works for both my 45 an 74. So, I'm sure it will work for any other size in between. There are close-up pictures earlier in this thread, but you have to look back a ways. If I find one of my pictures of it, I will post it here.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
My last post was aimed at a troll that reads this forum and bashes most of the guys that reply in it for one reason or another. My experience means nothing due to my technically ineptness, ignorance, and what have you. Take it with a grain of salt like most everyone else. Good luck!
Tim, we like you just the way you are, don't worry about what others think about you. Keep posting your good helpful info.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by hsukaria
They are not available from Fox I don't think. They are a direct replacement fit to any of the flange mounted Fox carbs. I replaced the EZ carb on my 74 with the new carb with perfect fit and performance. I then removed it and placed it on a 45 that had an MkX carb with no issues either. The venturi size might be on the large end for a 45, but it still works for both my 45 an 74. So, I'm sure it will work for any other size in between. There are close-up pictures earlier in this thread, but you have to look back a ways. If I find one of my pictures of it, I will post it here.
See post #2976, it shows how Earl put the new Fox carb on an ASP engine with an adapter. (top of page 120)

Last edited by hsukaria; 07-21-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Don't feel bad. I have seen some awful behavior on a few threads I subscribe to and they seem to be the same members. A few have been banned along the way. Appears they can get away with more recently.

The Eagle powered F-15 has been sitting there staring at me for quite a while now and I checked it over with the intent of trying it out if our field is in good condition, (has not been this year). Just had to replace the NiMH pack as it died last attempt. Since all new installs are LiFE now, swapped that out, as well. Hope to have some flights soon to see how that engine tunes in.

Checked that post and good pic. Still wish I could get my hands on one.

Last edited by Cougar429; 07-21-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Tim, we like you just the way you are, don't worry about what others think about you. Keep posting your good helpful info.
Nah.. I'm a jerk, I can admit it. I talk smack about this or that, but most of it is heresay. Whenever I buy an engine, I search the Internet to find everything there is to know about it. It amazes me how much and how little there is on some models. There are a few I regret buying, but most I enjoy very much. I still have several Foxes. I might put an ABC .40 Fox on a Mojo .25 profile even. I have to find my muffler adapter and get it on the test stand and run it in a bit. It has an MkX carb like the one I sent you.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 AM
hsukaria

Nah.. I'm a jerk, I can admit it. I talk smack about this or that, but most of it is heresay. Whenever I buy an engine, I search the Internet to find everything there is to know about it. It amazes me how much and how little there is on some models. There are a few I regret buying, but most I enjoy very much. I still have several Foxes. I might put an ABC .40 Fox on a Mojo .25 profile even. I have to find my muffler adapter and get it on the test stand and run it in a bit. It has an MkX carb like the one I sent you.
I am still thinking about what to install the 40 small case on. But one thing I ran into is that the MACs one-piece muffler and adapter don't fit on a C-case 40 with the MkX carb. The LSN is in the way. So, something to watch out for. I swapped mufflers and put a stock one on the 40 with MkX and put the MACs muffler/adapter on the one with the EZ carb. I still have to go back and try to get the 40 with the EZ carb tuned properly. I didn't try long enough to get it to idle right.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:04 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Don't feel bad. I have seen some awful behavior on a few threads I subscribe to and they seem to be the same members. A few have been banned along the way. Appears they can get away with more recently.

The Eagle powered F-15 has been sitting there staring at me for quite a while now and I checked it over with the intent of trying it out if our field is in good condition, (has not been this year). Just had to replace the NiMH pack as it died last attempt. Since all new installs are LiFE now, swapped that out, as well. Hope to have some flights soon to see how that engine tunes in.

Checked that post and good pic. Still wish I could get my hands on one.
I bet a lot of people wish they could buy the new Fox carb. The old MkX carrb body is identical to the new one (the EZ carb also). Somebody could try to machine the parts to make it be similar to the new carb, but not me, I am don't have machining skills.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I am still thinking about what to install the 40 small case on. But one thing I ran into is that the MACs one-piece muffler and adapter don't fit on a C-case 40 with the MkX carb. The LSN is in the way. So, something to watch out for. I swapped mufflers and put a stock one on the 40 with MkX and put the MACs muffler/adapter on the one with the EZ carb. I still have to go back and try to get the 40 with the EZ carb tuned properly. I didn't try long enough to get it to idle right.
I made an adapter for the C-case .40s to fit a TT .46 muffler to it. I can use the TT muffler or the .46 Jettstream muffler that fits the TT engine. Depending on weight, I will use either. The Jett muffler is lighter than the stock TT muffler. The small Fox muffler I have is louder than the Jett muffler.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:48 AM
hsukaria

I made an adapter for the C-case .40s to fit a TT .46 muffler to it. I can use the TT muffler or the .46 Jettstream muffler that fits the TT engine. Depending on weight, I will use either. The Jett muffler is lighter than the stock TT muffler. The small Fox muffler I have is louder than the Jett muffler.
Louder and much less performance. I might someday stick a mousse can in place of the back piece of the Fox muffler. Even if it would still be loud, it will help the performance some.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 PM
the pope

Yeh dont worry about it . If the pope did he would be curled up in a ball in the corner crying for his momma . As long as your having fun who gives a rats ballbag about anyone else ? Cheers the pope
Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

LoL Pope!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

I bet a lot of people wish they could buy the new Fox carb. The old MkX carrb body is identical to the new one (the EZ carb also). Somebody could try to machine the parts to make it be similar to the new carb, but not me, I am don't have machining skills.
What's difference betrween the new carb & the MkX?

CR
Old 07-24-2015, 07:50 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charley

CR
Not sure internally, but externally is a lot cleaner. The LSN is hidden and requires the use of an allen wrench. The HSN is a short, fat and stubby knob but also has an allen wrench socket so that you can access it when cowled with an allen wrench and not have to use an extension out of the cowl (maybe just a matter of preference). I have not compared the MkX to the new carb, but Earl has done that earlier in this thread (2-3 years ago?). My experience with the MkX is with the small case 40 and I purchased it used and already well tuned, so I haven't had the need to get involved with it much.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my 74 with the new carb. It seems to barely sip fuel. I also like the hex socket, which allows me to adjust the mixture with a ball driver from a comfortable distance. The new carb behaves well - no problems whatsoever. But I have no experience with the MkX.

I finally got my engine quieted down enough to fly at my club. It took a combination of the Fox Quiet Muffler from Hobbsy and a 14x8 APC prop. I wish Fox would get back to producing engines.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charley

CR
Here's the in-depth review of the Fox new carb by Earl, post #2697, page 108:

There doesn't appear to be any pictures of the New Fox Two Needle Carburetor out on the internet. So here are some pics of what it looks like.
It has a lot of similarities with the Bodeman Design Carbs as used on Webra engines, especially like the Webra TN carb. So they may have used it for inspiration, but I don't know. Now the hollow tube or spray bar inside the Webra TN carb extends only 1/2 the way across the bore, but the spray bar in the Fox carb extends all the way across the bore of the carb. The Fox carb barrel on the inside has a recessed hole to match the spray bar so that the barrel can close all the way. I also included the instructions on how to adjust the carb too. The carb also uses a main needle with a very gradual taper to it, so this allows for a wider range or less sensitive range of tuning. A sharper taper on the needle can make it more sensitive and harder to get a fine adjust setting. Especially with low or no nitro glow fuels. I have seen other brand engine carbs have such a narrow adjusting range that you wind up being 1 click rich and 1 click too lean.So having a wider adjustment range with the needle is pretty nice. Not having a detent means you don't have to compromise on trying to get the engine set just right where you wish you had 1/2 a click on the detent for the needle valve.

One rather esoteric feature of the new Fox carb is that you can rotate the spray bar slightly to change the mid-range transition. But you rarely need to make this adjustment. You might need to do this adjustment, if you had taken the carb apart and the spray bar was set off of pointing straight down. The hole in the spray bar (discharge port) should point straight down inside the bore of the carb. If you are having problems with the engine, you can remove the carb from the engine and check to see if the hole is pointing straight down or not and adjust it as needed. You loosen the two screws locking the spray bar/needle holder and rotate it ever so slightly to set it. It doesn't matter if you rotate the hole forward or backwards from pointing straight down. If the engine was running a little bit too rich in the mid-range and the low speed and high speed needles are set good, then you can try rotating the spray bar very slightly, in 1/64th of a inch to 1/32nd of a inch increments. So like I stated it is a small or tiny adjustment. Also this depends on the other two needles having been set good also. Many people tend to get ham fisted and go for 1/4 turn adjustments and you don't do that, just little movements and wait to see how the engine responds for a minute before you try it again. Do not make this adjustment while the engine is running though, way too dangerous. Anyway this ability to clock the spray bar is a feature that is on SuperTigre carbs and also K&B, and some others too. But if you read the instructions for Perry carbs you'll note that they state to make very tiny adjustments or rotate the idle mixture disc in very tiny increments. The K&B carb uses a eccentric off set screw head for this adjustment. Supoertigre also uses two locking screws on their carb. The Webra TN carb did not have this feature as the spray bar/needle holder was lightly pressed into the carb body, so it would be difficult to change it. I have retrofitted several engines with the new carb and also ran several new engines with the new carb and I have not had to make this adjustment.So I doubt you will need to make the adjustment. But it is a nice feature to have should you need it. Since the Fox factory tests runs all of their engines, if is extremely unlikely you'll need to ever use the adjustment. Plus the low speed needle will be set pretty close to perfect from the factory too.

Here is another pic as posted by Badger a while back in this thread:

You can see in this pic of a Webra TN carb where the Fox design could have been derived from.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those that think I'm not as technically educated, capable of anything technical, or otherwise question my credibility..... You're right. Couldn't and still can't afford college. Maybe someday. Not today, and not tomorrow. I will say that I do know how to tell if a circlip is seated in a piston. It's sad when a part like a circlip fails, and it's especially sad when I had nothing to do with the original part failing other than simply running the engine. I probably did that wrong though, I never do anything right according to certain kinds of people. Oh well, I don't care. I might be dumb in a miriad of ways, but I'm not completely stupid. I also find it utterly amazing that some people make it a point in life to spend copious amounts of time berating other people. Why? To show how "superior" you are to everyone else? Get a life. Get off the internet fora and go fly some planes or something constructive. Seriously, it's for your own health and safety.

blah. In the words of Mr. T.... "I pity the fool". At least I can spell AND I can post without being told what I should be saying or where.
You can log on to this forum and others..... you've not been exiled to "banned camp" . Your Blog is safe (smiles)...

You're a flippin Genius...
Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
You can log on to this forum and others..... you've not been exiled to "banned camp" . Your Blog is safe (smiles)...

You're a flippin Genius...
ROFL! "This one time... At banned camp..."
Old 07-27-2015, 12:36 PM
buffumjr

Anyone actually SEEN a Fox .40xBB from the sixties?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well in 1961 Fox produced the Fox .40 Rat Race engine. I assume people used it way back then. Fox had anodized it with a gold like yellow color sheen. But I think they quit doing it later though. Fox used the Fox .35 Rocket crankcase and stroked the engine with a longer stroke than the .35's. That resulted in there being a larger gap between the head and the top of the engine crankcase. Later Fox released the RC version of the engine too. Fox used a sticker on the side of the engine to denote its model, but the sticker would quickly disappear when in use.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by earlwb
Well in 1961 Fox produced the Fox .40 Rat Race engine. I assume people used it way back then. Fox had anodized it with a gold like yellow color sheen. But I think they quit doing it later though. Fox used the Fox .35 Rocket crankcase and stroked the engine with a longer stroke than the .35's. That resulted in there being a larger gap between the head and the top of the engine crankcase. Later Fox released the RC version of the engine too. Fox used a sticker on the side of the engine to denote its model, but the sticker would quickly disappear when in use.

What a beauty!!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM
buffumjr

I don't think I'd fly it, either. Must be rare as truthful statements by politicians.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.