Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke chose mehanite for pistons and leaded steel for liners, on purpose as they have expansion coefficients that are nearly identical.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by controlliner
Duke chose mehanite for pistons and leaded steel for liners, on purpose as they have expansion coefficients that are nearly identical.
Not a heck of a lot of variation between the iron alloy's. Mostly because all but the stainless steels and expensive alloys are all mostly iron. Where as aluminum allows might have as little as 50% pure aluminum and bronze and brass alloys might have less than 50% copper. If he could have afforded a higher tech alloy he probably would have use a material with a higher expansion rate for the piston or a lower one for the sleeve. With the same rate the gap between piston and sleeve grows larger.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sport Pilot and controlliner,

Our discussions of the concepts of metallurgy may be rather simplified.

Alloys of iron show great and varied results from fairly small additions of other substances. Aluminum has very different possibilities and can accept larger alloy material %s.

When Duke settled on Meehanite and leaded steel the advanced techniques of alloying aluminum either had not yet even been tried or were still in the development of the technology, and of the precision processes needed to get it to work reliably.

One great gain in using aluminum alloys is the weight reduction possible. Reciprocating weight is a major factor in single engine vibration. Aluminum pistons with (cast) iron rings were used 'back then' but were more costly than producing simply machined piston/sleeve pairs.

Other difficulties existed, too. Rings wear and need occasional replacement, for example. Those rings often showed slack compression at prop flipping "RPM." Their seal relied on the compression and power forces 'blowing' the ring working surface into contact with the sleeve. Broken rings could and did cause major damage. Ports needed to be bridged - like the multiple small port windows on ringed McCoy engines. Too wide span could allow a ring to hang up on a port edge.

Dykes rings are much more supple, but still feel like slack compression seal on hand flipping the prop. They also wear and are subject to damage or distortion.

Metallurgy advances help most of the problems, but still need to be used "properly." Definite advantages, AND they usually include less messy exhaust deposits on the models.

Besides, we are used to replacing rather than repairing. Easier, and not much more expensive - considering the cost of replacement parts...

Last edited by Lou Crane; 06-27-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Aaron L.

Originally Posted by RHarding
About 6 years ago I bought all Fox parts from a shop that had been in business since the late 40's. He was the go to guy for engine repair. I'm thinning my herd now, so if anyone is interested let me know and I will send an inventory. These are new in Fox containers. I'm interested in selling the entire box of parts. Cheap. Thanks for looking. Richard
Very interested. PM sent.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Alloys of iron show great and varied results from fairly small additions of other substances.
Varied results, but not great. Iron alloys such as low carbon steel, leaded steel, and cast iron only vary about .0005 in/deg F.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Aaron L.
Very interested. PM sent.
I am looking for a throttle barrel with a 0.29 venturi (if not available, I'll take a 0.312) for a MKx carb. Would anyone happen to have a spare to sell? This is for another Fox 45 I recently purchased.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:41 AM
hsukaria

Updates on my Fox project engines:

The compact 40 that had overheated due to dirt behind the prop driver on a hot day has been successfully run on the bench. I did replace the glowplug too. I had drenched the engine with transmission fluid to flush out the dirt, but I think that caused some tuning and glowplug issues even after cleaning out most of the oil.

The Fox 45 with excessive axial movement of the crankshaft is mostly disassembled. I had tried all the tricks to loosen it. In the end, I had to freeze the engine, then heat the prop driver with a torch, AND pull it out with a modified battery terminal puller. However, the crankshaft was still not passing through the main bearing, so I heated the engine and the crank and front bearing came out. However, the main bearing won't budge. I am re-heating it in a crockpot with antifreeze to see if it would come out this evening. I have never worked on an engine that was so tight. The engine was coated with castor varnish everywhere. Any tricks to removing the main bearing? I have replaced bearings on other engines before, including a Fox 74, but this 45 has been the toughest so far.

I will order the bearings today for the Fox 45. Any recommendations? I would like to have a shielded front bearing to reduce the messiness a little.

Determined in Detroit.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a bearing remover tool in desperation one day. Others are like a collet and commercially available. Maybe for a Jett or something? It was for an old crusty Supertiger .40 that was used in combat. It is shown on an OS just to see. I naturally heated up the case and gave it a good cleaning with carb spray first. It was nasty, and I should have left the motor on the garage sale table. I did get a couple other SPAD combats with good motors though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing remover 002.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2170292   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing remover 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2170293  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by aspeed
I made a bearing remover tool in desperation one day. Others are like a collet and commercially available. Maybe for a Jett or something? It was for an old crusty Supertiger .40 that was used in combat. It is shown on an OS just to see. I naturally heated up the case and gave it a good cleaning with carb spray first. It was nasty, and I should have left the motor on the garage sale table. I did get a couple other SPAD combats with good motors though.
Unfortunately, there is no way i can use a tool on the main bearing. The inner race is flush with the forward crankcase. I will have to get it somewhat loosened and slam the back of the crankcase on a piece of soft wood. I am hoping that the impact will pop it loose. If that doesn't work, I will freeze the engine with the bearing in it and then heat the crankcase. That is my next step.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Get it hot. If the oil isn't smoking, it's not hot enough. I've had some engines that were really glued in good from oil varnish. Heating it up good and hot and giving a few good whacks on a piece of wood did the trick. I've been using a heat gun capable of 1400F on he really hard ones. In rare circumstances, a propane torch may do the trick. One must use caution using a torch - getting the aluminum too hot can distort the case.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Get it hot. If the oil isn't smoking, it's not hot enough. I've had some engines that were really glued in good from oil varnish. Heating it up good and hot and giving a few good whacks on a piece of wood did the trick. I've been using a heat gun capable of 1400F on he really hard ones. In rare circumstances, a propane torch may do the trick. One must use caution using a torch - getting the aluminum too hot can distort the case.
I have been using a heat gun for heat shrink covering. But I also have a paint stripping heat gun that is a lot hotter. That could be an option if all else fails.

I just ordered the bearing set from Boca Bearings, part # ENK-037. No sense paying extra for stainless or ceramic.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:36 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I heated and banged on wood until I was blue in the face. This tool grabbed between the chamfers in the bearing and the case. It was really stuck in good in that case. The carbon hardened on the lip of the case not allowing the bearing to slide out.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:50 PM
hsukaria

I guess that is a disadvantage of using castor oil over the long run, you get all that buildup inside the engine, making it hard to disassemble.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I am looking for a throttle barrel with a 0.29 venturi (if not available, I'll take a 0.312) for a MKx carb. Would anyone happen to have a spare to sell? This is for another Fox 45 I recently purchased.
I am also looking for a tilt-down muffler for a C-case Fox 40 if anybody has one to sell.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I am also looking for a tilt-down muffler for a C-case Fox 40 if anybody has one to sell.
I think I have a brand new one..
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Smile

Originally Posted by aspeed
I heated and banged on wood until I was blue in the face. This tool grabbed between the chamfers in the bearing and the case. It was really stuck in good in that case. The carbon hardened on the lip of the case not allowing the bearing to slide out.
Well I guess you don't have to worry about forgetting to knock on wood for a while.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I think I have a brand new one..
Do you need it or are you willilng to sell it? If so, how much?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Do you need it or are you willilng to sell it? If so, how much?
I don't need it - the tilt down mufflers don't fit my test stand and I'd use a quieter muffler anyway.. Let me see if I still have it and I'll send a PM when I'm off work.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 AM
hsukaria

Ok thanks

Those mufflers are really loud but my MACS one-piece muffler with adapter plate doesn't work. It interferes with low speed needle and shakes loose if you have a not rigid enough engine mount.

Last edited by hsukaria; 06-30-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 PM
hsukaria

YAY!!! I got that 45 main bearing out finally. I had to resort to making an extraction tool similar to aspeed's. I froze it, I heated it (but not as much as others suggested because I was worried of damage), slammed the case against wood. But all it did was move a little, enough to be able to wedge this tool into the tiny gap and tap it with a mallet. Only 2 small mallet taps removed it. I am expecting the new bearings to show up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160630_230925 (1).jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2170595   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160630_231107.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2170596  

Last edited by hsukaria; 06-30-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Aaron L.

Good job! Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:52 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Aaron L.

Good job! Adapt and overcome.
Actually, that screwdriver had a damaged tip before I modified it. I did not sacrifice a good tool for this. It was already bad.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice solution.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:42 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to buy a part for a late production Fox 46 RC. The drive "washer" that touches the rear of the propeller. The inside is tapered to go over a split "collet". Thanks.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 AM
hsukaria

I received the new bearings for my Fox 45 from Boca Bearings yesterday. I knew I was getting a shielded front bearing, but the main bearing also came shielded. Is it ok to have both bearings shielded on both sides? If not, how easy is it to remove the shields on the main bearing? Also, can the front bearing be shielded on both sides? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.