Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:25 PM
vlizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

ORIGINAL: William Robison

[b]JF:

So you're going to be a dad. Enjoy your free time now, there will be a lot less afterward. But you wont miss it, a baby is a vey enjoyable experience, as well as being a lot of bother.

Bill.

The hardest and the most rewarding of all jobs brother. Wait till you get to teach him or her to fly! Wait till you let them take the car by themselves for the first time. Being a Dad rocks!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, those early years seem like a lot of work, but you get so much in return. But now that mine are 10 and 13, I miss little guys that weigh 25 pounds or whatever, asking for an "uppie". I sure don't miss changing diapers though.

The strongest emotional surge I ever felt was when my first son was born. It's instinct - you can't help but love them right away as strong as a love can be. Until you have your own it is impossible to describe the sensation in terms that are understandable.

Oops, did I get sappy there? Well, so what...

One of the two is really into airplanes and says he wants to be an aero engineer. I like that!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:09 PM
MJD

I suggested an 11-5 as an alternative to the 11-6 that would let it run at a little higher up the rpm band and that would provide lots of pull and respectable top speed.

Looking at the K&B .48 instructions, they recommend an 11-7 as a genreal purpose propellor. I understand an 11-7 for an engine of this displacement, but am surprised at the comment about avoiding smaller propellers if the engine is claimed to be a "revver". I don't think an 11-5 or 10-6 is even close to being too small a load for a .46/.48/.50 unless it is less than well-made.

Anyhow, I found instructions here:

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/48/48aero.htm

Hope that is helpful at least.

Mike D.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
onlyfinol
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This last saturday I went to the store to get the prop but I was not sure what to buy, if a wood prop or the nylon one (APC only one available in 11-6) I ended up buying the APC 11-6 even though the the wood one felt lighter.
What do you think which one is better?

By the way nice words MJD, about your kids. I heard that before about the feeling of having your first baby, and afraid to not feel the same, because right now is hard to believe that I am goin to be a Dad. I guess is because I do not see it yet since my girlfriend has only 6 week pregnant. I'm scared tp tell the true, I hope I will be a good dad!![&:][sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 PM
MJD

Wood props are lighter in general, yes, but the APC props have a very efficient design and are the propellor of choice for many people and applications. Don't cut yourself on the trailing edge.. chicken sticks and electric starters are good.

On the subject of kids and then I'll shut up, here is a condensed version of some of my wife's (and some of mine) standard advice on kids:

- love 'em like crazy (the easy part)
- set rules and limits and stick to them. Kids by nature push the envelope. Draw lines, they'll respect you for it. Once crossed, it's real tough to back up. Stick to your guns.
- don't freak out when they fall and get a little hurt. They are a lot tougher than you think, and more resilient than you or I in many ways. Just deal with it calmly and shrug it off. Otherwise, they'll scream their guts out at the slightest thing. Teach them to be tough, nicely. The hard part is doing this from the outset. We weren't too bad with our first, but we did a much better job of this on our second, and very little bothers him compared to his older brother.
- in the same vein, don't leap to their aid at the slightest whine or whimper. Let them protest a bit, then calmly check out what's bothering them. Otherwise you'll train them to scream at the slightest upset instead of dealing with it a bit. They'll train you too..
- be consistent! Consistent bedtime especially.. for your own sanity.
- feed them then put them to bed awake, so they learn to go to sleep on their own.
- make your own baby food. Babies aren't a science experiment or some kind of strange alien creature. Somehow the human race survived tens of thousands of years before expensive canned baby food. My wife would steam vegetables and puree them, mix in a little formula then freeze it in ice cubes. Same for chicken, she'd simmer that then do the same thing. Presto, cheap and nutritious kid food.
- don't get into the habit of letting the kid sleep with you guys in bed. It's really hard to get them out of that dependence. You need your space too. It might seem all nice and cuddly, but wait until you put them in their own bed the next time.. we know a family who did this with all their kids, and they virtually never slept alone for years and ended up in divorce.
- try not to make decisions on convenience.
- go with your instincts. Parenting may seem hard, and it is, but we have natural instincts that serve us well as parents. Use 'em!
- listen to advice from people whose kids are somewhat well behaved and polite and seem happy. There's a reason they got to be that way..
- don't listen to advice on dealing with kids from non-parents, even "professionals".
- share their wonder and excitement about the simplest things. Be impressed when they bring you a picture drawn on a scrap of paper torn from the corner of a newspaper.
AND PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT:
- introduce them to airplanes early!

Wanna hear a warm fuzzy? About two weeks ago my 13 year old came to me and said "you know Dad, you're just about my best friend in the whole world." Talk about racking up the ol' Brownie points..

Just some thoughts. Feel free to ignore any and all! I probably will think of several more after I'm done but as a favor to everyone I'll stop now. Who am I, Ann Landers? Besides, someone will disagree with me on much of this so best to duck out of the way while I can!

Cheers, MJD

p.s. just what does this have to do with K&B .48's?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
onlyfinol

What glow plug would you used for the K&B 48 abc engine besides the its original?

Thanks

JFinol
Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
onlyfinol

MJD
Thanks for your recommendation about kids, I really appreciated it.
I know this does not have anything to do with the motor but this is the great thing about this web site and its forum. We get to know people that are willing to give you any kind of advice.

JFinol
Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]JF:

I've stayed with the K&B 1L plugs, Still have a dozen or so from my last purchase.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:35 PM
onlyfinol

where do you get them from? Would you sell some to me?
JFinol
Old 09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
William Robison

[b]JF:

From MECoA. See them [link=https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=81]here[/link].

The 1L plug is catalog number 7311, $3.90 each in unit quantities, a little less for a dozen at a time.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:04 PM
onlyfinol

WR
Thanks,
But do you think i can use the OS 3A in the meanwhile?
You know I was trying to start the engine today for the first time since I got it ( The engine have been used) but I wont fire up, what could be wrong?
[&:]
Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 PM
William Robison

[b]OF:

The A3 plug should work fine so long as you have the battery hooked up, I think the OS #8 plug would probably run better overall.

A non-start diagnosis over the web approaches being impossible, but some things to check:

Fresh fuel and a hot glow battery are the most important. Other things may give a running problem, but without these two it will not start at all.

Are you using an electric starter? Many hard starting problems are very hard to find when hand flipping, you just don't get it to turn fast enough. After you get it dialed in hand starting is a lot easier.

Pull the carb and back plate. Smear a little RTV on the back plate sealing face and on the carb spigot where it goes into seat. An air leak at either place can cause hard starting and running problems as well.

How does the engine feel when you turn it? Good compression? Does it tend to "Leak through" when you turn it slowly? You can check for a head gasket leak as well as a worn piston by holding the engine with the cylinder down and putting a slug of oil in the cylinder. Then with a prop on it, still with the cylinder down, try to turn it through compression. A head gasket leak will give you an oily hand when it runs out the joint, a worn piston will turn through and put all the oil in the crank case.

Let me know if this has been any help, or come back and we'll try some more. Possibly someone else will chime in too.

Bill.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:20 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

"Looking at the K&B .48 instructions, they recommend an 11-7 as a genreal purpose propellor. I understand an 11-7 for an engine of this displacement, but am surprised at the comment about avoiding smaller propellers if the engine is claimed to be a "revver". I don't think an 11-5 or 10-6 is even close to being too small a load for a .46/.48/.50 unless it is less than well-made."

put it in context..... "general purpose".... 11-5 and 10-6 would be better for high-speed aircraft, not general-purpose, as in sport aircraft.... this engine is NOT in the same class as an OS .46.... it's stronger, will last longer, and capable of much higher RPM.... now, if you wanna see it crank, try a 9.5x7.25 pylon prop....

[:-]
Old 09-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet
this engine is NOT in the same class as an OS .46.... it's stronger, will last longer, and capable of much higher RPM.... now, if you wanna see it crank, try a 9.5x7.25 pylon prop....

[:-]
So, what does it do with this prop? And what does an OS .46 do with the same prop? Inquiring minds need to know...

I assume you've compared them back to back. Have you?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When the .48 first came out all the hype was that it would turn "big lumber" I think that was the buzz word that was applied. How did it go from that to turning toothpicks, I wonder.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:50 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Sorry for being late but finally checked the throws
Elevator 1/2"up 1/2"down
rudder 1 3/4" left 1 3/4"right
Aileron 3/8"up 3/8"down
Make sure the aileron gap is sealed this plane really benefits from it.
As far as a glow plug i use a fox long plug with idle bar. will it work with something different probably. i just never tried anything else. as far as a prop goes. in a couple of earlier posts it was mentioned it needs tailweight. will probably need less tailweight with a wood prop then an APC. I think you will be happy with the 11x6 APC.Generally the k&b 48 uses a o-ring seal at the back plate instead of a gasket and my experience is they generally seal up good there. could be a different story if it has been apart before though. the rest of that was all good advice. i would check just to make sure the fuel lines are hooked up correctly. which has been known to happen.
Good Luck
Dennis
Old 10-01-2005, 11:02 PM
onlyfinol

Hi guys,
I really appreciate every comment and reconmendation from you. I went to the field today to fire up the engine but it was getting too dark to fly,but any ways that engine has its power. I had some trouble with it three days ago but it has been resolved, nothing serious. By the way, thanks WR for your help to respect on this issue. Thank you guys for everything else.
d bodary, thanks for gime the throws measurements. What do you mean aileron gap that need to be sealed. Could you tell me how can I do this?

Well, I will let you know the rest when my bird flys!

Later!!!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:12 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I used hair set tape from the drugstore. it comes on a roll like a scotch tape dispensor. real easy to put on from the bottom. just flex the aileron upward and run it inside the gap. or you could use ultracote or monocoat and fold it into the gap and iron it in.
Dennis