Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:53 PM
onlyfinol
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

I do not know much about engines since this is my first year in the hobby, so it woul be nice to read your opinion about this particular engine since I bought one because it promises more power than the OS .46 AX and they weigh almost the same. Also it cost me less money than the OS.
I will be glad to read your opinion.

Thanks for your time.

JFinol
Old 09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Any Opinion about K&B .48 ABC Engines

[b]A very powerful engine, but it's not for a slow flying plane. A fast sporter, an Ugly Stick type, it's great. Don't try it in a Cub.

Bill.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:22 PM
mercula
My Feedback: (1)

Its a screamer , VERY tight engine , When I first ran mine I thought it was ruined , it was unreal tight at first . Made all kinds of noise , It runs great and the piston looks as it should . If you have never had a engine like this , You should ask will rob here exactly how to break it in , Hes helped me alot in the past .
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I have two of these engines. They are great engines BUT...I advise you to buy the K&B twist .61. Is is about the same weight, has even more power with large props, and actually seems lighter. Top that with the word that they have been selling them for LESS. I have two .61 twists and three of the ABC version of their .40. All are great performers.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a couple of these...wasn't real impressed with either.

For what you are going to pay for it why not buy an Enya SS .50 Ring ($125). It takes a while to break it in with it being ringed, but once that is done you have a VERY user friendly engine with gobs of power for it's size...topping that off it is quite LIGHT for a .50 BB engine. ANY Enya engine typically lasts FAR longer than an OS, K&B, TT, Magnum, etc., in the hands of a knowledgable modeler.

It's your money...spend it how you wonna![:-]

...don't blame me down the road...I told you so
Old 09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
William Robison

[b]Mike:

My favorite K&B is the ringed 61. Second is the ringed 40. Neither is a screamer, they're just good pleasnt engines that keep going. They taught the Energizer bunny.

Gene:

I can't say your post is nonsense, because the Enyas do have the reputation of lasting a very long time. But you will not, in your lifetime, wear out a K&B ringed 61 engine. It costs less, is more powerful, and is lighter than your Enya SS 50 ringed.

Bill.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I have two of the K&B 48's and have found them to be strong running and reliable on top of that. i've never taking a tach reading but they are darn good running engines.
Dennis
Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 PM
onlyfinol

Wow, I'm satisfy with all your opinion guys, I'm glad to hear good things about it, since I already bough one, but now what I'm scare of is that the engine had already broke in and hope the former owner did it right.
How would you know if it has been broke in right? Can I broke it in againg?
The other thing I want to mentioned is that I gonna use it in my advance 40, which is a low wing plane, well you might now the plane. I have been told that it is nice second plane, and actualy my friend who used to owned loved it. He used to have a OS 46FX on this airplane so that's why I though the K&B .48 would be better since it has more power.
Thanks
JFinol

By the way I'm gonna be a dad!!!!!!!!! Is not that you might care about it, but it is hard to not say anything about it
Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 PM
onlyfinol

Do you think it will be fine in a advance 40? This one look like a stick airplane.

Thanks

JFinol
Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
William Robison

[b]JF:

The K&B 48 should do fine in that plane.

No, you can't break the engine in the second time. If you can peak the RPM and it holds without sagging, it's ready to fly. Don't fly it at peak, back the needle off until you hear the rpm fall a little bit. Then let it scream.

Bill.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:18 PM
mercula

Sure , it will be fine , Just run it , make sure everything sounds looks ok and fly !

And congrats on the baby
Old 09-17-2005, 10:19 PM
William Robison

[b]JF:

So you're going to be a dad. Enjoy your free time now, there will be a lot less afterward. But you wont miss it, a baby is a vey enjoyable experience, as well as being a lot of bother.

Bill.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:30 PM
d_bodary

I have my first k&b 48 in a Hanger nine Advance forty with a master airscrew 11-6 prop on it and it flies it excellent. normally i prefer apc props but this engine and plane combination the MA 11-6 seems about perfect. Good luck with the combination. a couple of things to be aware of.
1 the aileron hinge gaps need to be sealed.
2 the throttle and steering linkages need to be longer otherwise you will get more rudder one way than the other. i can't remember which way it's been four or five yearssince i put it together.
3 really look good at the fuel tank where the stopper goes mine was deformed and filled the plane with fuel. i used an aftermarket stopper assembly and it happened all over again. finally used a different tank. can't remember which brand though.
4 the horizontal stab bolts to the fuselage. this is going to be hard for me to explain the wood that is on the fuselage that the stab sits on for the bolts . add extra glue to this piece not to the stab but the piece on the fuselage.
5 consider building a new stab if you look through the covering where it bolts you will see two darks circles these are some really and i mean really hard wood and they aren't really glued to the balsa part of the stab. so if you cartwheel the balsa will break off and the stab will be in two pieces. wish i could post a drawing but if you look close you will see what i mean.

The plane is a really good flyer so don't dismiss building the plane just keep in mind the mods. especially the rudder and the fuel tank issues.
Dennis
Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 PM
onlyfinol

Thanks againg guys, this is a realy nice way to meet people willing to share much more than airplane topics.

D Bodary, thaks for your tips but I bough the airplane already build, but I will check if those detail have not been take care of.
Do you still have the airplane?

Thanks ![8D]
Old 09-18-2005, 05:57 AM
d_bodary

Yes i still have the plane. i don't fly it much anymore been busy flying pattern. although the advance 40 is what i flew my first pattern contest with and ended up winning sportsman with it. You will like the way the plane flies. the minor problems aside.
Dennis
Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a little late here, but..... I also have two of the 48's and as noted above they are a bit heavy and like to REV, so on the correct plane, they are awesome! I have one of mine in an old 70's pattern plane that was designed for a 60 ( Tony Bonnetti Troublemaker) and it's great.... the other WAS in, of all things, and Advance 40..... I had to add several ounces of tailweight to balance the plane and it flew "okay" with the above-noted 11-6.... overall I wasn't happy with "okay"..... one day I removed the 48 and put in an old ASP .40 which was several ounces lighter, removed the tailweight and put on an 11-5.... now it flies "great", the way it should !!!

Old 09-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Congrats on fatherhood! May you have a healthy little one!!!!!

Well add me to the "I like my 48's a LOT" list

To give you an idea of the K&B power, my K&B-Screamin'48 (Stock mufler and 5%) was within 200 RPM's of both the OS-50SX (Tower muffler and 15%) and Webra-50GT (Stock muffler and 5%) with a 12.25x 3.75 [X(]

While this engine likes to rev. I would use an 11x6APC for the Advance. I must say it liked the fun-fly prop. quite a bit on a Somethin Extra and on a Topcap profile-- Hard to explain but it screamed with the fun-fly prop. and was un-nerving I thought.... Same performance as the OS-50SX on higher nitro and I really like the SX

ALso the K&B is the quietest engine (stock muffler) I have ever ran- on a UT muffler it would be pretty ballistic!

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:27 PM
mercula

Ive got mine on a super sportster with a 10-6 Or a 10-7 I cant remember , I wouldnt want to push that little plane any faster though ,
I could hand launch If I had the balls .
Old 09-19-2005, 11:37 PM
onlyfinol

I'm still waiting for this engine, as soon as i get it and mounted in my airplane I will let you know how it goes.
By the way does any of you know what are the trow for the Advance 40?

Later !!

Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
d_bodary

There are no throws listed in the manual it was all set up using the pictured control arms and horns. now that was using a jr radio. of course you are probably using a different brand radio. or you have no instruction manual. hopefully someone will be able to measure there throws. my plane is at home and i am leaving for kentucky in a little bit. yes i know i should get my own computer and internet at my house. One other thing in an earlier post someone mentioned they had to add a couple ounces of lead to the tail, i did'nt want to answer until i checked mine. and lo and behold i have 1 3/4 ounces on mine. so i guess a couple was right in the ballpark.
Dennis
Old 09-22-2005, 02:33 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, start with the 11-6 as it is a known entity on that motor according to the first-hand advice already given.

You might then experiment with an alternative to the 11-6 by letting the motor wind up a bit more on an 11-5. Will still pull the plane at a respectable clip and the motor will be a little higher up the rpm scale where it likes to operate. Vertical certainly won't suffer, top speed might or might not noticably depending how the motor responds. It's a revver. I run my .46FX on them in many applications where pull is desired over top speed. My Ultra Stick still moves out pretty well on one.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
William Robison

[b]MJD:

While the OS 46 FX is a fairly high revving engine, the K&B 48 is still running fine at speeds where the FX is running out of breath. Practically speaking, the K&B 48 can't be turned too fast.

There is a limit of course, but it's well above that of the OS.

Bill.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
onlyfinol

MJD
I mounted the engine last nihgt, but I would like to know if there is any specific procedure to start the engine.
Because this is my second and different engine, I'm dont know when is lean or rich.[&:]

Also, I would like to know if you have any suggestion about how much throw I should set my advance 40, since the manual do not mention anything about it.[:@]

Thanks

JFinol
Old 09-24-2005, 11:02 AM
onlyfinol

WR.,
I mounted the engine last nihgt, but I would like to know if there is any specific procedure to start the engine.
Because this is my second and different engine, I'm dont know when is lean or rich.

Also, I would like to know if you have any suggestion about how much throw I should set my advance 40, since the manual do not mention anything about it.

Thanks

JFinol
Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this engine is as tight as they say it is, I high recommend heating the engine up before you start it. This will loosen the piston/cylinder fit and put less stress on the connecting rod. A heat gun or hair dryer should do the trick. I personally use a small butane torch to heat my new engines up but that is not as safe if you have fuel in the tank and line and could catch your plane on fire. Once your engine is heated up, start it and IMMEDIATELY get it up to a slightly rich full throttle setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.