4-Stroke fuel for a 2-stroke?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Lumpy454
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Stroke fuel for a 2-stroke?

Hello,
Is it OK to use 4-stroke 15% Omega fuel in 2-stroke? The only difference is a little extra oil isn't it? Thanks.....Lumpy
Old 10-02-2005, 06:09 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: 4-Stroke fuel for a 2-stroke?

If I am correct, the old 4 stoke stuff had less oil. The new 4 stoke Cool Power blend that I have seen has the same total amount of oil in it with bit of Castor -- less than Omega.

[sm=thumbup.gif] for 2 stokes also.

A bit more protection, but a little more clean up and some discoloration on the motor.

http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm

Just looked at the C.P. web site and it looks like there are a number of C.P. 4 stoke blends out there. The stuff I have has some castor in it and it is green and says C.P. with castor
Old 10-02-2005, 06:09 PM
wildthing7037

Should be fine. Generally the only difference about 4 stroke fuel is that most, if not all the oil is synthetic. This is because the 4 strokes have problems with gumming up of the valves by using caster etc...Provided your engine is suitable to run on synthetic oil, then go ahead.
The proportion of oil in 4 stroke mixes are similiar to 2 strokes. About 17-20%.

Stefan
Old 10-02-2005, 06:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Omega 15% all the time in all my engines. I have Magnum, OS and Saito four strokes. Seems to run fine in all of them.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 10-02-2005, 06:12 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use powermaster YS 20/20 in all mine...2 and 4
Old 10-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Lumpy454

Thanks guys,
Actually it is tower power 15% 4 stroke fuel. I think I read tower fuel is actually morgan omega fuel. Is this true? Thanks...Lumpy
Old 10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
w8ye

Morgan makes some of their fuel. The name Tower Power rymes with Cool Power which is another Morgan product with no caster in the fuel.

What color is it?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 10-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Lumpy454

It is Pink. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJC60&P=7
Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
w8ye

If Tower Power claims to have a little caster in it, then it's probably Omega? Other wise it's probably Cool Power.

Some people around here run Cool Power also but most throw a little caster oil in the fuel.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:41 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]Since most four stroke engines accumulate oil in the crank case and don't blow it right through the engine as a two stroke does, some people decided a lower total oil percentage would be fine. Thus was born "Four stroke fuel." Oil percentages of 15%, 12%, even as low as 10% in some cases were packaged. I don't know of any major engine manufacturers who have approved fuels of less than 18%.

Even though "Four stroke fuel" still appears in some maker's lines, actually finding it in your LHS is a rare event. Stick with the standard fuels, get one with a castor blend and at least 18% oil content and you'll be OK. If you want more oil you can add it, get a "Heli" blend that's higher oil, or go to the "YS 20/20" fuel.

The four stroke exception is the YS, with its construction using the crank case as a scavenge pump/supercharger, it does blow all the oil right through as do the two strokes. And Yamada wants their engines run with 20% oil. Further, since most YS seem happiest at 20% nitro, we have "YS 20/20" fuel just for them. But it runs in other engines just as well.

As I said earlier, I don't know of any major engine manufacturers who have approved fuels of less than 18%. Major is defined as an engine you might see on any particular day at the field. Technopower specifies no more than 12% after break-in, Seidel says 10%, and Kavan says use only 1% oil in the fuel. These are not common engines, don't try this at home.

Also please note - gas engines are a different world entirely, we're talking glow.

Bill.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:57 PM
3dbob37n

The concept of 4 stroke fuel against 2 stroke fuel never was anything more that a sales gimmick, a Madison Avenue thing and all fuels will run in either 4 or 2 stroke engines just fine.
However, unless the brand I get, which varies from time to time, shows that castor has been added, I always add about 2 ounces of castor to all my fuels.
It gives you that added protection should you somehow take off with a lean engine since castor burns at a considerably higher temperature than synthetic oil.
I use a minimum of 20% oil regardless.

3dbob
Old 10-02-2005, 11:30 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, the Kavan motor from the 80's was a wet-sump motor, and this is why they could get away with 1 or 2% oil in the fuel. It probably served as a top cylinder lube only.

As long as I'm paying for my motors? They get castor, and a healthy amount at that.

Long live the bean!

Old 10-02-2005, 11:42 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]Race:

I wondered if anyone would catch that on the Kavan. Yes, it was a wet sump and the 1% was "Top" oil.

Bill.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 AM
B.L.E.

Some fuel makers actually put more oil in the four stroke fuel. Anyway, my OS .26 runs just fine on 10% Cool Power and during break in, I ran 10% ducted fan fuel (24% oil) in it. I switched to all synthetic mostly because this plane, a Great Planes Cub .20 sometimes does not get flown for a few months at a time and with castor oil, I would often find the throttle so gummed up the the throttle servo couldn't open it.