Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How does big two stroke engine sounds like ?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How does big two stroke engine sounds like ?

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does big two stroke engine sounds like ?

Hi,

I've never seen anyone who has 140 size two stroke with pitt muffler yet, and I really wonder
how it sounds like. Does it sound like a four stroke engine ?
I bet it's quite different to 40 size two stroke engine.

If it sounds good for a warbird, I'd stay with two stroke engines.
Thanks

Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How does big two stroke engine sounds like ?

They sound just like a 60 size two stroke with a pitts muffler. The engine runs just a little slower.

They do not sound like four strokes.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

A buddy just put on an OS BGX1 into a big ultrasport that was given to him, even with the stock muffler, it sounds awsome, doesnt have that high pitch whine of a small 2 stroke. Sounds more like a big gas zenoah.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 AM
B.L.E.

Even at a low rpm, two strokes engines sound like two strokes. The characteristic surging idle is still there. A characteristic lack of engine braking also causes them to rev down slowly when the throttle is closed. Also, while four stroke engines get real quiet at part throttle, two stroke engines stay loud at part throttle.
A four stroke engine that revs 20,000 rpm will not be mistaken for a two stroke engine revving 10,000 rpm by anyone who hears it.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:30 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

They sound just like a 60 size two stroke with a pitts muffler. The engine runs just a little slower.

They do not sound like four strokes.

To me, and everyone's perception is unique unto themselves, The big bore glow two-strokes have a deep, throaty sound that is quite unique and pleasing. The bass tones are louder because of the increased displacement. The high-pitched, ringy-dingy sounds of significantly smaller glow two-strokes are not as noticable. The large glow engines have a "manly" sound to me. But that is with my hearing. Your hearing most certainly will be different from mine.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-05-2005, 06:57 AM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: jrotor

Hi,

I've never seen anyone who has 140 size two stroke with pitt muffler yet, and I really wonder
how it sounds like. Does it sound like a four stroke engine ?
I bet it's quite different to 40 size two stroke engine.

If it sounds good for a warbird, I'd stay with two stroke engines.
Thanks

I wanted to put a big four-stroke on my 1/4-scale Giles but saved some money and installed an O.S. 1.60FX two-stroke and stock muffler. It sounds great! After a flight, guys at the field have asked me if I have a four-stroke in the Giles.

The big ones have a much deeper note than the small ones and sound much nicer, in my opinion.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 11-05-2005, 07:09 AM
pe reivers

By nature, two strokes and four strokes have different sounds, with the two stroke's snappy exhaust period, and lack of parts in the exhaust duct being the main reason.
The fourstroke has the piston pushing gas out of the cylinder, which is lacking in the two stroke, so no, they will never sound the same. The difference can also be well seen in a terz analisys of the sound. Level differences in adjacent tertz bands are much larger in two stroke engines, causing the typical two stroke noise.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry, but I have an OS 160 2 - stroke and several gas 2 - strokes. I also have about 10 4 - strokes and none of the 2 - strokes sound ANYTHING like a 4 - stroke. At this moment I'm building a Midwest Super Stinker and had planned on putting my OS 160 in it because it was the only viable option, but really didn't want to --------- and then along comes the Saito 220 ----------- I'm selling the OS 160.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
B.L.E.

When it comes to sounding like a full scale plane, nobody will confuse a scale model of a P-51 or a Corsair making a strafing pass for the real thing, regardless of engine type. They don't sound like chainsaws, but then they don't sound like lawn mowers either.
The real thing is a complex mixture of engine, propeller, and airframe noises. Even if a model could accurately reproduce these sounds, the doppler effect would still be off because of the models slower speed.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Walter D

My ST 2000 and 3000's sound awsome, very throaty and deep, nothing at all like the smaller two strokers, but not like a 4 stroker, they sound very close to a 4 stroke only when the throttle is positioned somewhere in the middle (they have a spot here where they can't make up their mind if to run lean or rich) and at this setting they sound more like a radial engine. I agree with Ed Cregger, seems our ears came out of the same factory, their sound is to me also very robust, throaty and very manly, a very pleasing music to these ears, and by the way, these engines can be had for very little money, and they are worth every penny.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:15 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: Don M.

Sorry, but I have an OS 160 2 - stroke and several gas 2 - strokes. I also have about 10 4 - strokes and none of the 2 - strokes sound ANYTHING like a 4 - stroke.

Why are you apologizing for having an O.S. 1.60 and gas two-strokes?

I also have six four-strokes from .56 to 1.50. I never said I thought the 1.60 sounded like a four stroke; I said guys at the field have asked me if it's a four after hearing it run. I, too, prefer the sound of my Saitos, but I also like the sound of the big two-stroke. I think the O.S. 1.60 with the stock muffler sounds quite nice!

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best sounding engine I own (and that includes OS and Saito 4-strokes from .52 to 1.80 displacement) is the MOKI 2.1 two-stroker.

Like Ed Cregger said above, it has a deep bass, real throaty sound, which to my ear is very pleasing - more so that the sound of my big Saitos which actually have quite a bark IMO.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:57 PM
w8ye

Ruuuunn nunga nunga nunga

Some times its run flutter then nunga nunga if it's set a little rich.

That's about the best I can do.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Ruuuunn nunga nunga nunga Sume times its run flutter then nunga nunga

That's about the best I can do.

Wow! I can just about smell the burning castor oil....

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 08-22-2010, 01:14 PM
sumairsajid
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

HI

Can i put 4 stroke muffler on dle3occ engine..I am doing this only for horrible dle engine noise .
I tried it and found a very good result..
Questions

1.. will it effect on my engine (still doing breakin)?
2..any performance issue.(putting on piper cub where i dont beed more power)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: NM2K
[The high-pitched, ringy-dingy sounds of significantly smaller glow two-strokes are not as noticable.

Ed Cregger

Ed, that is a term I haven't heard in a while. Back when two strokes were loosing their rule of the motorcycle world, everyone would say 'ring ding ding ding' to describe them. Those of us who had two stroke pocket rockets laughed at how four strokes just loafed around.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: NM2K
[The high-pitched, ringy-dingy sounds of significantly smaller glow two-strokes are not as noticable.

Ed Cregger

Ed, that is a term I haven't heard in a while. Back when two strokes were loosing their rule of the motorcycle world, everyone would say 'ring ding ding ding' to describe them. Those of us who had two stroke pocket rockets laughed at how four strokes just loafed around.

I owned my last ring-ding in the early seventies. It was a 68 Yamaha 350cc two-stroke twin powered bike. It would surely skat and it wasn't a lightweight either. Then my best friend decided to cross a bridge that wasn't there and ended up plowing himself and my bike into a dirt bank on the other side of the stream that he was trying to cross. He lived, the bike did not. All of my motorcycles since then have been four-strokes. I still miss the wheel standing Yamaha 350cc twin.

I like both two and four-stroke model engines. It just depends upon the mood that I am in at the moment.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

If yours was a RD-350, I had one too. I had a lot of mechanical problems with it. It was fast when it was running, but nearly as fast as the Kawasaki 500 triple.

I prefer 4 strokes now, but still have some 2 strokes that I like to run too.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This may be the largest two stroke @ 2.75 cu in., (glow) you can get or more correctly could get and it still sounds like a chain saw. I have two, this one is an Italian built 4500 barely broken in and I have another that I built from used parts in a new crankcase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56712.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1488861  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Mr Cox

The chain saw or trimmer and blower sound is not very pleasant. And it is usually very loud too. Don't they sound a little better with the tuned canisters instead of the tiny mufflers?

The front wheels lifts after a gear change on the RD 350 are addictive...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
w8ye

They sound faster with the tuned muffler devices
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm anxious to run the rebuilt 4500 as a Diesel, it will turn a MasterAirscrew Classic 20x10 at 7,000. It may sound pretty nice like that. I was waiting for a new piston for it but gave up and used the old one that had chewed up its original circlips, the top is pretty beat up. I cleaned out the ring groove, installed the new ring and it seals very well.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay away from 2 strokes. blah!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Deggleston

Nasty, you'll love it!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

This may be the largest two stroke @ 2.75 cu in., (glow) you can get or more correctly could get and it still sounds like a chain saw. I have two, this one is an Italian built 4500 barely broken in and I have another that I built from used parts in a new crankcase.
Hobbsy,

This engine brings back memories. Had an own design scratch built Super Stinker with a S4500. On down lines it sounded like a Vespa scooter. (For those that have never been to Italy in the 80's or earlier this won't ring a bell.)

Oh, BTW, big 2-strokes sound like, big 2-strokes.

Bliksem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.