Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cone collet don't fit flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Futterama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cone collet don't fit flywheel

Hello forum,

I'm having trouble putting my flywheel straight on to my nitro engine, cause the cone collet don't match the flywheel. Or so it seems. The picture and the drawings will tell you more than my words:

[link=http://home19.inet.tele.dk/posfutte/rcfreaks/konus.jpg]Cone collet on flywheel[/link]

[link=http://home19.inet.tele.dk/posfutte/rcfreaks/collet1.jpg]Drawing showing the bad fit[/link]

[link=http://home19.inet.tele.dk/posfutte/rcfreaks/collet2.jpg]The flywheel will easily come on in a bad position[/link]

People tell me that the parts should fit like this, but it doesn't make sense to me that only the front part of the cone collet should make contact to the flywheel.

Hope to get some response on this. Thanks.

Regards,
Futterama
Old 11-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cone collet don't fit flywheel

Perhaps one of the pieces wasn't machined correctly. []

FBD.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering...if you have tried the collet on the shaft? Does the flywheel rock when you put it up against the collet when it's on the shaft?
It might be o.k. when you tighten the nut down, and wedge things together, but who knows for sure?

It looks like you might have to get a different collet (or flywheel ) because you have 2 different angles.

I have experienced this a couple of times before, but not quite that much mis-match.

If it were me, I'd snug things down and see if the flywheel bore taper opens up some. Each part might just "give" enough so they end up o.k.? At worst you'll need another collet and or flywheel, and you just might need them anyway, so give 'em a shot.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Futterama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the replies,

ORIGINAL: proptop

Does the flywheel rock when you put it up against the collet when it's on the shaft?
Yes, it can rock. I have tried to fit the collet and the flywheel on the shaft, and I tightened the nut, and the flywheel came on crooked. I tried it again, but the flywheel wouldn't come on straight.

I'd snug things down and see if the flywheel bore taper opens up some
I'm not sure what you mean with this sentence. I'm not familiar with the expression "bore taper".

The shop where I bought the engine and flywheel, has sent me two other collets and another flywheel to find a matching pair, one of the collets were even used on an engine, so this should fit. But I can see on the used collet, that only the front part of it have been in contact with the flywheel, like it's my case here.

At worst you'll need another collet and or flywheel
The flywheel came with the car I bought, the collet came with the engine. The shop from where I bought the stuff, only has one type of collet, and they obviously use it with these flywheels.

I was just wondering if it was normal practice that the collet should fit the flywheel this way (like on my drawings), or they should have the excact same angle (this would make sence).

But you would suggest that I got the wrong collet for this flywheel, so I'm not mistaken when I say they don't fit.

The shop will have to take the collets back, and find me some that fit the flywheel.

Regards,
Futterama