Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Moki glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:50 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moki glow plugs?

I just picked up a Moki 1.80, and was trying to research the best glow plugs for it. I have read comments that the Moki brand plug with the idle bar works great and gives a nice slow idle and lasts a long time, others like the K&B 1L, yet some use the OS F plug. OS F plugs are easy to find, but I have no idea where to find Moki plugs, and I can't find K&B plugs anywhere other than modelengine.com (pricey). OS F plugs are also pricey, and it seems they are not as long lasting as the Moki brand in this engine. Does anyone know of a place to order the Moki plugs? Is there a supplier that has the K&B 1L at a reasonable price? What is your experience in plugs for this engine? (FAI fuel)

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Moki glow plugs?

Try the Enya no 3 plug.

It will take a while to run in and expect some dead sticks if you allow it to drop to idle in the air and open it up quickly to begin with.

Follow the instructions on setting up the idle and make very small adjustements to the slow running.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OS type F burn out fast and really don't run that well IMO (detonate - ping ping ping - too hot). I have two Moki's and have found that the longest lasting and best running plug is the K&B 1L. I can get them for $2.75 each at a hobby store not too far from me.

I found this on the following web site: $3.90 is still more than I pay but may be convenient for you. It's on the following web page towards the bottom. The 1L plug is p/n 7311. The 7311 is a card of 12 which is a better deal ($2.90 each).

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=81
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, I have a Moki plug you can try.

I am going to Taiwan this December, and am going to pick up a load of OS F plugs for cheap, about $2~$3 a piece.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
pezza1011

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

Try the Enya no 3 plug.

It will take a while to run in and expect some dead sticks if you allow it to drop to idle in the air and open it up quickly to begin with.

Follow the instructions on setting up the idle and make very small adjustements to the slow running.

How did you get on in the end? I have just sent a Moki 210 back to JE as it's a total pile of crap. It wouldnt start (maybe take an hour to get running), would run backwards rather than forwards and ALWAYS ended ddeadstick after about 3 minutes.

Just interested about your experiences with Mokis. Very powerful though!

David
Old 11-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You are talking about this plug, it came in my MOKI .61 LongStroke, I replaced it with a Fox Miracle Plug with perfect results. This one was too cool in my opinion, the engine always stumbled just above idle, leaning the lowspeed needle only made it quit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67653.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	356910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47846.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	356911  
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Hobbsy,
That looks like the one provided in my 1.80. A review I saw piqued my interest in the plug, and I thought I'd try to find some extras. I read elsewhere that it took more current to get hot than most other plugs (so what, I'll dial up the adjustment on my power panel). I'm sure the K&B 1L is more abundant, but it looks like even Chiefaircraft doesn't carry the K&B any longer.

http://www.justengines.unseen.org/moki180a.htm (look for the paragraph on the plug)
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 AM
Vortec

I found the best with my 180 was a OS A5..
Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
cmassa

I'm running a YS plug in my Moki 180. I am using Byron FAI fuel and a Cline regulator. The engine runs perfectly. I haven't burned a plug yet in 4 gallons. The engine idles perfectly and reliably and has a great mid range. Throttle response is also great. We get them from Central Hobbies for a little over 5 dollars. They usually last all season in our YS engines, so far so good with the Moki. Some friends and I get a few whenever we are placing orders for other stuff.

Chris
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 AM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

pezza, The Mokis take a LOT of running in. I mean lots!! Your problems sound like its not run in yet, and is loading and getting hot. We have also found that while still tight, they can be very difficult to start hot - cold is ok (one backward flick sometimes, well wet, and a good hot glow). I would keep bench or ground running until the hot start is ok, and it will hold full throttle setting without getting too hot. There are plenty of web places that list revs you should get on various props. My 210 is not fully run in yet, but its holding setting with a Dynathrust 20x10, and I got it cheap from a guy who gave up on it.
jp
Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 AM
pezza1011

JP928,
thanks for the post. I have since read a lot of posts from US users, one of whom states that in the early stages of use it is normal to expect many deadsticks, when the throttle is pulled back to less than a 1/4 throttle. This seems to be exactly what I get, so I guess you are right - it aint run in! I'll keep persevering though.
Thanks you.

David