Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Does anyone else love Enya engines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:48 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone else love Enya engines?

Dennis thanks fpr the info who are the boys?? Modelflight down under??? I want one martin
Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
AMB

Dennis thanks for info--Who are the boys that have the 06?? I want one martin
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
AMB

Dennis I want the 06 enya who has them martin

Sorry guys impatient did not mean to do this 3 times martin
Old 12-23-2005, 01:57 PM
AMB

Dennis I do not know what I am doing wrong but cannot get on trying a gain who has the 06 enyas want one martin
Old 12-23-2005, 02:01 PM
AMB

Dennis thanks for the info I want one who are the boys?? martin
Old 02-09-2006, 07:24 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to buy Enya engines at reasonable prices in the US call Sheldons Hobby or Doug's Hobby in Maryland. You'll save at least $80.00 on a .53 four stroke or $150.00 on a 1.55 over prices from Australia. And yes, Sheldon's has them in stock or will order them if they sold out.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 PM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

If you want to buy Enya engines at reasonable prices in the US call Sheldons Hobby or Doug's Hobby in Maryland. And yes, Sheldon's has them in stock or will order them if they sold out.
I wonder where they get Enya engines from - obviously not MRC. Seriously though, MRC has to step it up - I think they have a potentially large untapped market for these great engines.

I only have 2 - a .15 IV and a 90-4C, and I can't get them to miss a beat.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:59 PM
PlaneKrazee

Mike,

They get them from MRC, I checked.

I don't know what's up with MRC. When you call them they are very nice, friendly and helpful but it seems they have given up on marketing the Enya line. I think the Enya engines are harder to market because some are not always the lightest, most powerful or the newest but Enyas do last the longest and have the best warranty.

The .53 four stroke is the strongest in it's size/weight range, stronger and lighter than the OS .52 and Saito .56. The .53 has all stainless bearings. The 1.55 makes more power than the Saito 1.50 on 10% nitro based on internet info and my own experience. Another problem is Enya engines are designed to be run on low nitro which I'm sure some people just can't do.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

Mike,

They get them from MRC, I checked.

I don't know what's up with MRC. When you call them they are very nice, friendly and helpful but it seems they have given up on marketing the Enya line. I think the Enya engines are harder to market because some are not always the lightest, most powerful or the newest but Enyas do last the longest and have the best warranty.

The .53 four stroke is the strongest in it's size/weight range, stronger and lighter than the OS .52 and Saito .56. The .53 has all stainless bearings. The 1.55 makes more power than the Saito 1.50 on 10% nitro based on internet info and my own experience. Another problem is Enya engines are designed to be run on low nitro which I'm sure some people just can't do.

---------

I would think that owning a large bore engine like the Enya 1.55 that burns low nitro fuel would be a plus.

All that is necessary to burn high nitro in the Enya is a thicker head gasket. It isn't magic, but you probably know that.

I sometimes wonder if the Enya distributorship is part of a package that MRC had to handle in order to get the rest of something that they wanted. That might explain their lack of enthusiasm for selling Enya engines.

Or could it be that Enya doesn't manufacture enough engines yearly to warrant a more aggressive sales campaign? I sure would like to know the answer.

At the moment, I have two NIB .15 R/C two-strokes, one NIB 53-4C four-stroke, one used 80-4C four-stroke, two used .45CX two-strokes and one used .50CX two-stroke. There may be an old Enya .60 floating around somewhere too. I wouldn't mind having another 80-4C, preferably in like new condition. An .11CX might be fun too.

I've been an Enya engine lover for decades.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
PlaneKrazee

Ed,

One of the reasons I like the 155 so much is the fact that it runs so well on low nitro. I like flying for over 12 minutes on a 16 oz tank at full throttle and still have nearly a third of a tank left. There are some people, heli and pattern guys that just love nitro. They would never be caught running an engine on 0-10% nitro

Two things I'd like to see Enya do is make a quieter muffler and a velocity stack for the 155. The stock muffler is way too loud and the carb spits a lot of fuel. I have fixed both issues on my engines but I think it would be great if they would do it so we don't have to.

Someone recently converted a 155 to gas with a pressure oiling system and the transatlantic r/c flight was with a enya 60 converted to gas. They flew across the atlantic on 1-1/2 gallons of gas. I would like to know how they made the oil system. With a geared pump from a 120GP? You could tap into the valve cover or cam housing and have the oil flow out the front breather, maybe.

Here's a photo of the converted engine with the generator. I think I can make out a tube and spring clip on he side of the valve cover:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61616.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	405363  
Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

Brian, it's too bad that they didn't make the muffler a little shorter or a little longer, the length it is gives the exhaust a really irritating sound. What fuel do you run in yours. I might see if Fox would mix me some 5% nitro fuel with 20% 75/25 syn/castor blend. Do you have a picture of your velocity stack? Thanks
Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 AM
PlaneKrazee

Dave,

I'll get a picture for you. Right now it's just a 5/8" brass tubeccut on a slight angle on the bottom with a brass strip sodered to it that is secured by the same bolts that hold the carb bracket to the engine. Not a real velocity stack just a big tube that directs the fuel back into the carb. I had to modify the carb bracket in order for the tube to fit. I am going to bring one of my engines to my machinist and see if he can make something better out of aluminum.

I've been running Byron 10% nitro 18% oil, 80/20 blend and have had good results. I ran the engine on 5% nitro for about the first three gallons.

How is the compression on your engine? I had to lap the valves.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has great compression but I broke a rocker arm setting the valves, the threads just crumbled inside the rocker arm, it may have been ham fisted farm boy syndrome. I'd sure hate to admit that though.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 AM
PlaneKrazee

I snapped one of the valve rocker screws from over tightening the locking nut [:@] but the rocker is ok.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:19 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Just bought a new in the box 120R from RCU. The last one was on my 68" stick for 14 years. It would have still been going but the bearing let go of one ball from the race and it beat the insdie of the motor like a little midget with a 2# sledge on steroids. Anyone know when the last 120 R's were made? Just curious.
John
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 PM
DeeJay

I've been trying to trying to buy an Enya four stroke (a 53 or 120) for some time from the online auction site, without much success. The 120's have been fetching rediculously high prices. I finally gave up and went to MRC's website to verify that a new 53 was available. They were removed from the website. Concerned, I e-mailed MRC who replied that they were "no longer available." I contacted Sheldon's who didn't have any 53's in stock and said the 1.55's were not to be found. They ordered a 53 from MRC for me. I frankly doubt that I will see it. In the meantime, I contacted BayHobby who was able to locate a 53 and a 1.55 for me (not from MRC apparently). They are both on the way, after much searching and struggle. It shouldn't be this hard to get one's hands on these engines.

The 53 is going in a Goldberg Tiger 2. I don't have a plane for the 1.55 yet, but planes are easy to come by, not so the motor.

Enya need a new distributor in the U.S. The Australian and UK prices are out of sight.

DennisS

Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Enya 53 4 stroke info!Not famialiar with this engine.Earlier post refers to it as being better all around than the Saito 56 that I have been looking for to use in a Royal b-25!Have the 60 and 80 4 strokes but not familair with this one.Are they still around?Was looking for used Saito 56s but do like Enyas and sounds like these are supposed to be lighter andmore powerful than the 56s.Can any one enlighten me on these engines and any idea on availability of them.Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
PlaneKrazee

Enya .53
14.6 oz w/muffler
.80hp
Prop 11X8 12X7
five year warranty, first year includes crash damage!
Stainless steel bearings

Saito .56
15.5 oz w/muffler
.93 hp
Prop 11X8-12X7 with 12X6 as benchmark
three year warranty

Although the Saito is rated at higher power, user reports on RCU have shown the Enya makes more power and can handle a 13X6! I will know first hand very soon

Sheldons should have them in stock in two weeks.

The Saito is also an excellent engine but the Enya will run stronger on low nitro fuel.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:21 PM
NM2K

I too like engines that run well on low nitro. We are just one factory fire or explosion away from being without nitro for a year. Like the last time it happened in the early nineties.

The one thing that I did not like about my R120 was the exhaust manifold mounting. I'm not saying that it wasn't robust enough. It was just that it was a fixed mounting position that you had to live with unless you applied a torch to the manifold and bent it manually.

My R120 was a sweet running engine. I loved the sound of the exhaust note. That is one of the reasons that I bought mine, after hearing one at a local flying field. Is the 1.55 muffler/exhaust significantly different than that of the R120?

There is a ton of engineering in that 60-4C that traversed the Atlantic Ocean. No doubt about that. I too would like to know how they oiled the engine without running pre-mix fuel. I understand that the fuel was akin to Coleman Fuel. Any comments?

I had a 60-4C that a friend flew for years and years. It was the first four-stroke I ever saw that had a tick over, slow idle and always responded crisply to the application of throttle, regardless of how long it had been idling. I finally took possession of that engine when it was nothing but parts in a plastic baggie. The model it was on had crashed onto asphalt, which broke the crankshaft. I replaced the crankshaft, reassembled it and it ran just as it had before. What a neat engine. My brother-in-law had a Dynajet engine that I was coveting and I ended up trading him for the Enya 60-4C. No wonder he smiled such a big grin as we completed the deal. I want my 60-4C back!!!!!! <G>
Old 02-11-2006, 06:27 PM
PlaneKrazee

Ed,

I think the 155 uses the same muffler but it's just too small for it. The tone has a very sharp bite.

I'm going to try to get in contact with the guys that set up the gas conversion. They are doing it on the 155 now and I don't know if the photo is of the 60 or the 155. I'll have to take a better look and compare to mine.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:04 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"the transatlantic r/c flight was with a enya 60 converted to gas."

Hate to break the news fellas, but it was an OS.61FS converted to Gas...not Enya. That is per the official website of the TAM-5 model used for the transatlantic flight.

Anyway....GO ENYA. Nice motor...too bad they're so &%$#!) hard to get anywhere.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 PM
PlaneKrazee

The engine in the photo is a 120.

"In August 1998, Aerosonde "Laima" flew into the record books by making the first crossing of the North Atlantic by a robotic aircraft and becoming the smallest aircraft to make the crossing."

"Laima", named after the Latvian Goddess of good fortune, was one of three Mk I Aerosondes built in Melbourne, Australia by Environmental Systems and Services (ES&S) for the University of Washington under a contract from the US Office of Naval Research.

This plane used a Enya.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
PlaneKrazee

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/...ble/755967.pdf

They used a modified Enya 120 spinning a 20" prop @ 5500 rpm.

Just found another thread on this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118737

Check page 8 of the pdf
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger
Anyone else love Enya engines?
Ed Cregger
Yes Ed. I'm a fan. They're my favourite, though locally, they are now at a price premium. Shame their range is also now so limited.

I have an AAC .45CX which is going my coffin, 'cos I doub't it'll die before me! What an engine!

Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

"the transatlantic r/c flight was with a enya 60 converted to gas."

Hate to break the news fellas, but it was an OS.61FS converted to Gas...not Enya. That is per the official website of the TAM-5 model used for the transatlantic flight.

Anyway....GO ENYA. Nice motor...too bad they're so &%$#!) hard to get anywhere.

Dang it, you are right. Isn't that the open rocker OS .60?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.