Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

I am still an engine guy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am still an engine guy!

What can I say? I am hopelessly in love with model airplane engines, gas or glow. There is just no substitute for the noise, smoke and even the oil. There is a real sense of accomplishment when I can get an engine to run like a fine watch. I have nothing against electrics, but flying an airplane that sounds like a vacuum cleaner just doesn't do it for me!! I will give up my model engines when they pry them out of my cold dead hands!!

Steve
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: I am still an engine guy!

A lot of people that hang out in "Glow Engines" are as much engine collectors as they are R/C modelers

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

A lot of people that hang out in "Glow Engines" are as much engine collectors as they are R/C modelers

Enjoy,

Jim

---------------------

Even though I am now flying some electric models, and loving it, there is nothing like an engine to brighten my day. I have no intention of abandoning my old friends, even though I am getting deeper and deeper into electrics. To me, they are two completely different hobbies, but flown at the same field.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 AM
B.L.E.

The sense of smell is one of our most primative senses and deeply connected with our emotions. We never forget a smell! When we smell that smell, it always takes us back to when we first experienced it. The smell of a real Christmas tree, the smell of our first electric train, the movie theater, our first grade school room, and of course, the smell of castor from the exhaust of a model airplane engine.
That's why I don't get too into electrics, it's not that I hate them, they just don't smell right.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

An electric motor is fine in an electric razor, a set of clippers, or a furnace blower but never on the front an airplane, that's just wrong.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will give up my model engines when they pry them out of my cold dead hands!!
An electric motor is fine in an electric razor, a set of clippers, or a furnace blower but never on the front an airplane, that's just wrong.
Truer words never spoken, gentlemen!! [>:]
Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 PM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

If it ain't internal combustified, it can't be RC airplane justified! Glow and gas forever!!!

doubledee
Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: doubledee

If it ain't internal combustified, it can't be RC airplane justified! Glow and gas forever!!!

doubledee
thats something George W. Bush would say who is George W. Bush?....
Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen, brothers! When I was a kid I would run a cox .049 on a test stand just to watch it, hear it, smell it, and watch with amazement. I still enjoy breaking in an engine just to experience the marvel of it. I love the smell of nitro in the morning!! Electrics do not have the same lure, never will.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 AM
estradajae

Yes, gentlemen!
Even though I'm studying Electronics engineering...I like the last part of it...engines...nothin g compares the screaming of a methanol burner!! and the oily touch that you get in your skin....I love breaking in an engine...sometimes...when its difficult to fly by any reason...I just have to start an engine, you may say..to keep it alive...and I like to clean them...flip the prop, disassemble to the minimum piece and put it back together...as someone said, there are so many engines to buy, but not enough money for buying!!

AH...and what about not having to recharge batteries...just fill the tank and go...

Jorge
Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 AM
More HP
My Feedback: (2)

I'll never jump ship either....., I dabble though.

The engines are half of my interest in the hobby, and 80% of the reason why I'm broke!

Further, I tried to take a brushless motor apart to port it, polish it etc. it's just not the same....
Old 12-10-2005, 02:07 AM
AMB

Said this before, fly my little cub with an TT10 (its a diesel conversion but still an ic engine) at the electric site no batteries no chargers
just a can of fuel ,transmitter, flip and go and its quieter than some of the electrics. one on the guys there had better than $1500 in a brushless powered plane $169 lith batteries etc etc. not including the plane or reciever and servos my $75 to $200 glow and diesels do fine (the $200 one are the 4 strk glows) and yeah the smell of nitro, castor, and diesel is neat martin
Old 12-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: More HP

Further, I tried to take a brushless motor apart to port it, polish it etc. it's just not the same....
Old 12-10-2005, 02:45 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: flyathome

...but flying an airplane that sounds like a vacuum cleaner just doesn't do it for me!!
I really liked that remark, Steve.

Vacuum cleaner...

But these 'vacuum cleaner' types, at least the smaller, lighter ones, can actually be flown at home... In the living room for sure.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:04 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim

Amen, brothers! When I was a kid I would run a cox .049 on a test stand just to watch it, hear it, smell it, and watch with amazement. I still enjoy breaking in an engine just to experience the marvel of it. I love the smell of nitro in the morning!! Electrics do not have the same lure, never will.

----------------

In the dead of winter, as a kid, I used to grab an .049, prime it up while holding it in my hand, add glow heat and let her rip for a few seconds. As others have pointed out, just to smell that glorious smell.

I've even been known to sniff the smoke that wafts off of hot glow plugs when I knew I wouldn't get away with running the engine on a shot of prime in my hand. <G>
Old 12-10-2005, 03:09 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

Said this before, fly my little cub with an TT10 (its a diesel conversion but still an ic engine) at the electric site no batteries no chargers
just a can of fuel ,transmitter, flip and go and its quieter than some of the electrics. one on the guys there had better than $1500 in a brushless powered plane $169 lith batteries etc etc. not including the plane or reciever and servos my $75 to $200 glow and diesels do fine (the $200 one are the 4 strk glows) and yeah the smell of nitro, castor, and diesel is neat martin

-----------------------

I have to agree with you on including the Diesels too.

I'm doing some electric stuff (you guys are making me feel guilty for doing so) because of my interest in electronics, low penalty 3D aerobatics, easily available flying areas, etc. But my real love is internal combustion engines.

As someone else said, engines are at least 50% of their hobby interest. I would have to say that it is considerably more for me. Airplanes are merely engine holders.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ed, I'll have to admit to making an awful mess of my mothers pride and joy living room when I was 14 years old. (1956) I got a McCoy .36 for Christmas, which I still have, I cut a notch in a board and mounted it, I decided to fire it up in the living room and when I did it sucked ashes out of the fireplace and blew them all over the living room. Needless to say I didn't live that one down for a long time.

I also still have the McCoy .35 and SpitFire .049 I bought for myself that same year.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM
AMB

I do have a couple of small electrics I can fly in the street in front of the house, but thats as far as it goes. the diesel cub did a short flight too but only once not really a good idea if something goes amiss sort of a spruce goose flight, just a fast taxi and up it went
chopped the throttle landed turned and brought it back long straight street martin
Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 AM
wcmorrison

I guess that's why engines have to do with heat and combustion and electrics are motors. I perfer engines. Yeah, who ever heard of an electric engine? All my airplanes have engines!

I love the smell of castor.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
DarZeelon

Chip,

....Yet, there are rocket motors...

I also use the term 'engine' for all internal combustion devices and don't think 'motor' is the right term for them.
But a rocket does have its combustion, yet it is unanimously called a motor.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:39 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Model rocket motor,
or
Model rocket engine?

The latter sounds right. However, I know what you are saying. In the "real world" with 1/1, they are referred to as motors.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 AM
canadagoose

The engines are half of my interest in the hobby, and 80% of the reason why I'm broke!
Sounds like you could be my long lost twin.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
jessiej

I expect that those without this love of engines and the ones with no love of building constitute the majority of those who have difficulties getting their engine to run properly.

jess
Old 12-10-2005, 01:52 PM
estradajae

YES Jess

I think that one of the things that I love is to tune, and make it run properly my engines.....its part of the illnes that is caused by the engine bug....and also...I like it too when they are not working...I have a reason to work on them, disassemble them etc etc....
Do you think that there is something compared to the sound of your plane when you get it close enough and you hear that thing screaming!!! NO WAY!
Jorge
Old 12-10-2005, 07:44 PM
AMB

As I said I have a couple of small electrics I fly in the park but the real love are engines. the electric "revolution" how ever has created a nice spin off there are now lots of built up ARFs (not foamies) that make great conversions to glow or diesels in the 061 thru 10 or 12
engine sizes I just picked up a world models cub that has a geared 400 eelctric motor full house 48"wingspan with some minor mods
it will get either my ASP 12 or Enya CX11D I will dump the gear motor and folding prop to one of th electric guys for $15 or $20
it is pretty decent BB gear box, sorry I did not get the chipmunk its a knockout and a norvel 074 would be perfect I have one in a
decathalon conversion ,Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.