Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS engines users Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: OS engines users Club

I haven't started the engine yet - I thought it might be a fruitless act due to the lack of compression. I haven't tried the feeler guage, but I have been able to feel the valves 'rock' slightly at TDC on the Compression stroke. I believe that the valves are closing securely. I did lap them a bit, about 10 strokes using a mixture of Bon-Ami and Marvel Mystery Oil to make a light paste. The mating areas appear shiny all around on the valves and the seats.

I have to make the time to start her up... maybe Friday.

Bob
Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrengineer
Holy Crap! Ebay item no. 170714722131[X(]
Yeah sometimes I am surprised about such things. There is a guy selling old beat up engines at exhorbitant prices all the time on EBAY. A engine I wouldn't pay $20 for and the guy has them priced at like $350.00. I wish him luck, maybe he'll get lucky and find a sucker.

I have a new unopened package of a ACE Littlest Stick I was going to build up one day. But now I am afraid to as I saw someone wanting $250.00 for one like that unopened.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM
I haven't started the engine yet - I thought it might be a fruitless act due to the lack of compression. I haven't tried the feeler guage, but I have been able to feel the valves 'rock' slightly at TDC on the Compression stroke. I believe that the valves are closing securely. I did lap them a bit, about 10 strokes using a mixture of Bon-Ami and Marvel Mystery Oil to make a light paste. The mating areas appear shiny all around on the valves and the seats.
I have to make the time to start her up... maybe Friday.
Bob
It sure sounds like the ring is stuck though. But maybe if you had it all torn down earlier, it just might be the ring needs reseating. If you can get it to start it ought to free up. If not you know where to look for the problem at.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 6 unopened Littlest Stick kits saved. I'm rich!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Earlwb.

Actually, I replaced the ring as part of the overhaul. The ring seat was actually pretty clean. The old ring wasn't stuck either. There was a modest improvement in compression with the new ring, but not much. It doesn't look like I will get the engine started tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, though.

I sure would like to use that engine - I have a project all spec'd out for it if I can get it to run strongly and reliably.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Bladejunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning all I've got a question;I bought a OS 300 and it's on ignition(CH Ignitions) does anyone have picture of how the three leads are hooked up?I know one goes to the sensor,and one goes to the battery,but where does the third one go?This may be off topic but I've searched everywhere I could think of,and the CH ignitions site is down.

Thanks in advance Jim.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

There should be no third lead. If it's hanging out of the switch, it's a charge lead for the battery.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Bladejunkie

Thanks gkamysz,thats what it is alright.After much thought I just hooked a battery up to it,and then hooked one of my Futaba wallwart chargers to the last lead and the red light came on until I switched the unit on.Good to go.

Thanks again Jim.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Great. Usually, CH ignitions didn't have a switch hard wired. Maybe somebody added one. I also have an FT-160 with ignition, but haven't tried it yet. Winter is upon us once again in Chicagoland, so unless I really get an itch to play with it, I'm not going to mess with it until March.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
jweeld

Anyone have a manual for an OS MAX 61 FX they could post?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
jweeld

Never mind, FINALLY found one!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Quigleywins

I was wondering if any one that has a OS 55 AX and runs a 3 blade prop could give me the size. And the type or brand. Many thanks Yours Paul T
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
billym8228

I have an os fs 40 surpass runs excellent,i want to make sure it stays this way.what i need to know is how to set the carb so its not running to lean?can anyone help or point me in the right direction.thanks Billy
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 1970 when I was in the Philippines, my sister who was an anesthesiologist intern in Albert Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia sent me a control line O.S. .09 from America's Hobby Center in New York which I had first seen from the America's Hobby Center ad in the Saturday Evening Post(remember????). I ordered the O.S. .09 through my sister stateside BECAUSE IT WAS THE CHEAPEST engine in the ad. The Cox Tee Dee .09 was just too expensive. The O.S. engines of that time were the CHEAPO engines in the hobby ads. The casting on that early O.S. was looking very crude compared to the K&B's, Cox Tee Dee, McCoy etc. that were displayed in the glass case in our local hobby shop in Manila, Philippines. Needless to say we bought bottles of Methanol and Castor Oil from the local Mercury Drugstore and mixed our own brew. We had made our own biplane made of bamboo spars, balsa pieces and thin gossamer paper that was used to make and fly kites. That little, primitive O.S. .09 ran good on control line and we had fun flights galore. Then in 1979 when I was already an immigrant here in Los Angeles, Califronia I bought from Hobby Shack(that was the name before they had to change it to Hobby People due to legal issues with another "....... Shack") the pretty looking ARF's made of blue/green ABS plastic with balsa and plywood formers and framers, that were made in Japan and the brand was called "Pilot". Those 2 ARF's were powered with an O.S. .25 and with an O.S. .35. I would fly and fly every weekend at the Sepulveda Dam Apollo Model flying field. Those cast iron cylinders and lapped piston engines were easy starting and once you richen the top RPM with a few clicks of the high speed needle...............they NEVER, EVER quit running as long as there was fuel in the tank. Those old time O.S. were extremely trouble free........you run it full throttle with the plane pointing up and adjust to richen a little before flying and they would just be utterly reliable. They would idle forever and when you are ready to fly you give it wide open throttle and there was no hesitation whatsoever......NONE. Those engines would snap to full throttle without hesitation even when idling for a long time. So when I read posts where people have engine quitting issues.............I chuckle at those old timer O.S. that are like the Eveready Rabbitt.............they just keep on running and running and running.....................I still have the .25 and .35 mounted on the "Pilot" ARF's in the garage waiting when I would have the time to bring them back to life. The antique .09 I left in the Philippines was lost in the sale of our house in the Philippines.....sad, I miss that little playmate.
P.S. Those days in 1979 I was using all Futaba radios and servos........BECAUSE THEY WERE CHEAPER than the Phil Kraft radios.........in those 1979 days the Futaba was the CHEAPIE radio and the O.S. was the CHEAPIE engine. How about that!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Ronjon

Just returning from leaving the hobby in 1994 due to work. Retired now and time to play. I have several O.S. 4 strokes that I love. Put them away with Marvel Mystery oil but they're all very stiff now. I also had an o.s. 40 and a S.T. 60 that were both seized. Did the trick of cooking in antifreeze and the 2 strokes run like new. My concern is removing the o-rings in the 4 strokes. I don't know for sure where they are in the various engines. I bought a rebuild kit for an old F.S. 90 (not surpass) and I'm OK with that. Need to free up my F.S. 70 Surpass. I took the o-ring out of the carb, are there o-rings on the push rod covers? Is thre a book or a site I can see parts breakdowns for these engines? I have the manuals for all of them but no breakdowns and the o-rings don't seem to be mentioned in the manual parts list. I have 3 90/91s, 3 120s, and a 70. I just don't want to ruin the o-rings cooking them in antifreeze! Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
RonTins

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Great. Usually, CH ignitions didn't have a switch hard wired. Maybe somebody added one. I also have an FT-160 with ignition, but haven't tried it yet. Winter is upon us once again in Chicagoland, so unless I really get an itch to play with it, I'm not going to mess with it until March.
I have an OS MAX FT 160 as well however mine did not come with an ignition. Was this an add-on you got and if so can you tell me where to get more info about it?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jweeld

Anyone have a manual for an OS MAX 61 FX they could post?
You found one, and I could use one. Is it in a form you can post here? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I picked up an OS 52 Surpass 4 stroke for $80 at a swap meet in February, installed it in a Kadet LT40, and fired it up for the first time a couple weeks back. Purred like a kitten and revved up nicely. It was too windy to do much else with it, so windy the plane was moving around on it's own, and there was no wing on it. I couldnt hear the motor running with the wind. 

What I noticed is when I first got it, you really couldn't tell where the compression stroke was, but now that it has a few minutes of run time, man can you feel the compression stroke! I will need a good battery to spin up the starter for this one. 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
the pope

There a good engine for sure .That reminds me ill have to give mine a run again , I was surprised at the power of mine and wish I had a couple more . Cheers the pope
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM
N1EDM

Hi everyone,

I have a question on a 91FX carb. I noticed that my 91FX wasn't running that well - poor adjustment of the HSN. I'm looking at the Carb and RNV, and I notice that my RNV has a plastic body while my manual calls out a RNV that is cast as part of the aluminum backplate.

Can anyone shed a little light on this? Is my plastic RNV the older version or the newer version? Did the old plastic version work badly such that they had to replace it with the new backplate version?

Can anyone shed any light on this, please???

For the record, I cannot get the engine to pass the pinch test. With the needle about 3 turns out, I pinch between the RNV and the carb and get very little response. In fact, just for fun, I wound up turning the needle 6 turns out and it would still not 'lean out' when I pinched the fuel line. Flushing the lines did nothing.

Any comments or education that you can give me???

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

You have the newer version of the RNV. Originally the RNV body was cast in as part of the back plate. This caused heat transfer to the the needle valve which resulted in the fuel going through the needle valve to heat and allowed bubbles to form. The OS fix was to seperate the RNV from the backplate to lessen heat transfer.

Bruce
Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 AM
N1EDM

OK, thanks Bruce.

I think I'll get another body - this one may be shot. I'll give it one last look before I order the part.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-26-2013, 06:54 PM
wha-tah-hey

Question .10 fsr-r nva

Hi all -

A newbie here -just found your site.

I have a .10 FSR w/DDD conversion head.
I need an FSR-S NVA for it, stk # 21111006, cat # OSMG7160.
[TABLE="class: partstable"]
[TR]
[TD]Also a Venturi Insert,[/TD]
[TD] stk # 21112003, [/TD]
[TD] cat #OSMG9280[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I've been told the .15 FSR NVA will work - true?

I've had no luck searching, except to find O.S. doesn't stock for it - too old.
I'm hoping someone here can suggest a source or may have a spare to sell.

Tnx.

Terry

Last edited by wha-tah-hey; 11-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM
m-mtoys

Paul
I had the same question .People on RC Club said I should go with a MAS 12-6 or a 11-7. I have not had time to try on my plane. Carey
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 AM
dutchy50

G`Day
Am looking for old style (5 bolt head) OS FS 40 four stroke head, broke mine while trying to push out tappet rod.
Need to replace. has anyone out there have one.
dutchy50

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.