Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS engines users Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Hsukaria. The 32SX is a great engine. Lots of power and very user-friendly, even piped. The heli versions seem to be a lot easier to find these days than the airplane versions. The delta is a "Screamin' Demon". The Twin Mustang is the old NitroPlanes ARF that sat in my closet for 5 or 6 years until I decided it was time to put it together. Both airplanes in the photo got their maiden flights that day. All three 32SX's ran flawlessly. The 32SX has been gone for several years now, but Tower still has parts for them. Properly tuned, they turn an APC 8-8 prop at 18000+rpm on a tuned pipe.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Today, re-engined the Goldberg Tiger 60 with an LA .65, it balances perfectly, It took the place of a Fox .60 Diesel conversion. I love to fly this plane, it flies as if on rails. It has some slight Diesel exhaust staining on the right side. Not worth recovering for just that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0630.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2098048   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0631.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2098049  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi everyone,

A friend handed me a OS FS-120 Surpass II with pump. He got it as part of a deal and overall, it looks in good condition. But there has been some damage to the pump and I think hat it's shot. I might also need a new backplate.

I could use a manual with an exploded diagram if anyone happens to have a .pdf of one that they could send me. Also, where could I go for parts? I see that TH is out of parts for this and I've had no luck on eBay.

If no commercial sources are available, does anyone have an old, used up engine (with a good pump & backplate) that they'd be willing to part with for short money?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by N1EDM
Hi everyone,

A friend handed me a OS FS-120 Surpass II with pump. He got it as part of a deal and overall, it looks in good condition. But there has been some damage to the pump and I think hat it's shot. I might also need a new backplate.

I could use a manual with an exploded diagram if anyone happens to have a .pdf of one that they could send me. Also, where could I go for parts? I see that TH is out of parts for this and I've had no luck on eBay.

If no commercial sources are available, does anyone have an old, used up engine (with a good pump & backplate) that they'd be willing to part with for short money?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Bob, do you know if the regular carb/backplate are interchangeable with the pumper engines? I know that the 72 Alpha series carb fits the 70 Surpass II. If it is possible, and you are willing to give up the pumper setup, it might open up the possibilies of repairing that engine?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:29 AM
N1EDM

I was wondering about that myself, hsukaria. I would rather get the engine back to its original status, but I will look for a backplate in parallel with this.

Also, if anyone out there knows, I presume that this works with a diaphragm. Does anyone know what the diaphragm is made of?? I.e., is it rubber, or is it like a reed valve made from metal? I haven't opened this engine up yet. Someone else had, and gave me a little info, but I'm looking for more.

Again, I'm looking for a manual, a pump, a backplate, and exploded diagrams of the engine, carb, and pump if they exist.

Thanks again everyone, and thanks for your comment, Hsukaria, that was a good point.

Bob
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Today, re-engined the Goldberg Tiger 60 with an LA .65, it balances perfectly, It took the place of a Fox .60 Diesel conversion. I love to fly this plane, it flies as if on rails. It has some slight Diesel exhaust staining on the right side. Not worth recovering for just that.
Hi Hobbsy, how do you like the 3-blade prop?
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Hobbsy

HS, I use three blade props a lot, I like them. I started using them on Diesel conversions as that's the easiest way to add 50% to the normal load.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Hobbsy

I received a nice gift in the mail today, an OS 1.20 Surpass, no muffler with it though. Is the 120 degree pipe the correct one, I may skip it and go straight to a TurboHeader, no instructions either if anyone has any I could use em. Thanks, Dave

Name:	OS 1.20FS II.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2116127  
Old 08-22-2015, 04:27 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
I received a nice gift in the mail today, an OS 1.20 Surpass, no muffler with it though. Is the 120 degree pipe the correct one, I may skip it and go straight to a TurboHeader, no instructions either if anyone has any I could use em. Thanks, Dave
If you are not into being all-stock, the Turboheader is my preference.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:58 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave,

Here are listings that should include the 120S: http://www.osengines.com/manuals/index.html
http://www.osengines.com/parts/discontinued.html

Enjoy!

Very best regards,

Dick smith
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Hobbsy

Thankyou gents, I'm still not sure which 1.20 I have, it says Surpass, I don't know how to determine whether it's a II or just plain Surpass. I'll figure it out though. I put those links into My Favorites. It has some serious compression.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-22-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou gents, I'm still not sure which 1.20 I have, it says Surpass, I don't know how to determine whether it's a II or just plain Surpass. I'll figure it out though. I put those links into My Favorites. It has some serious compression.
Im pretty sure the surpass 2 have black rocker covers . At least my 72 does not so sure with the 90 but I would think its the same . Opps see you have the 120 ! Cheers The pope
Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The O.S. FS-120 Surpass II has the C-13 carburetor with a velocity stack. The original series FS-120 Surpass has the pump with the large brass screw in the center and no velocity stack on the carb. That one has the C-12 Carburetor.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Hobbsy

I found a home for the 1.20 Surpass, an Ultra Stick Lite. Perfect match up.

Name:	OS 1.20 on Ultra Stick.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2116511  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
kenh3497

Default Os 49 fs

I picked up an OS 40FS at a auction last February. It was pretty stiff but looked like it has little to no use. A good cleaning and all new bearings had it spinning over nicely. The piston/sleeve showed little to no wear.

Mounted on the test stand I can get excellent top end and a fair idle with a decent transition.. After about 12 oz of fuel I mounted it on a small cub inverted. It absolutely refuses to idle in any way, shape or form. Tank C/L is at the C/L of the carb. It has an air bleed carb and adjusting it makes little / some difference. Yes "in" is rich Full tank or empty tank is the same, no idle. Running OS "F" plug and tried a couple of new plugs and a good proven used plug. No change.....

Any good words of advice? Take it back to the auction?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

will it idle ok when u flip the plane on to it's back and the eng. is in an up rite position? plus the fact 4stk engs. don't like to run inverted. they have all sorts of performance issues. clarance lee has written many articles on this subject.

Last edited by fujiman; 08-25-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 AM
gerryndennis

Hi Ken,

My 40 surpass also had little to no running when I got it and also wouldn't idle very well. After a fair amount of running it came right. It seemed to go from a poor idle to quite good in a dozen or so flights, I noticed that the compression was a lot better too. I guess it took a while for the ring to bed in and develop the correct seal to allow the engine to idle. It idles fine now but the compression is still improving.

Maybe yours will improve with more running?

I haven't read what Clarence Lee says about inverted four strokes but all of mine are inverted and run absolutely fine. Starting, idle, transition, and top end are all perfect. I did have one mounted at 90° and noticed no difference in the running.

Best of luck,

Dave H
Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 AM
hsukaria

I found a home for the 1.20 Surpass, an Ultra Stick Lite. Perfect match up.
I bet that would be an excellent flier. I have seen that plane fly in the past. That shiny spinner complements the chrome on your bike too.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Bax

Glow engines can all be problematic when trying to run them inverted. That's because the glow plug becomes the lowest point in the fuel system. When the throttle is closed to idle, liquid fuel can foul the plug, putting out the fire. An otherwise fine-running engine can run poorly when turned inverted. The best way to avoid inverted-running problems is to get the engine well-tuned when upright, and then use an on-board glow plug battery pack to power the plug when the throttle gets below about 1/3 or so. That will almost certainly cure the difficulty.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Bax
Glow engines can all be problematic when trying to run them inverted. That's because the glow plug becomes the lowest point in the fuel system. When the throttle is closed to idle, liquid fuel can foul the plug, putting out the fire. An otherwise fine-running engine can run poorly when turned inverted. The best way to avoid inverted-running problems is to get the engine well-tuned when upright, and then use an on-board glow plug battery pack to power the plug when the throttle gets below about 1/3 or so. That will almost certainly cure the difficulty.
Mounting the engine at such an angle that the lowest point will be the exhaust valve allows excess fuel to drain out of the engine and not flood the plug. Helps initial startup as well as running. FWIW. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-25-2015, 04:11 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

i have run 2stks inverted and they have run ok but can have a flame out more easily in the inverted position. as u all know 2stk engs. fire every rev. 4stks fire every other rev. in the compression/power stk. phase so the plug has more time to cool off via the exhaust stk., added to that problem if the eng. is inverted the incoming charge has more time to puddle and put out the glow plug. that is why 4stks. work best with a 4stk. plug and in a side mt. position and up rite position. of course an on board glow driver will work to overcome the problem.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:19 PM
hsukaria

Never had any trouble with inverted engines except 2 strokes occassionally flooding. You can use a glowplug with an idle bar, that is supposed to help, but I never had to.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 AM
N1EDM

I need an opinion from your experience.....

Last weekend I was flying my H9 Spitfire with OS-91FX and a 3-blade 14x7 prop. It just didn't have the zip I was expecting. I don't have many flights on this bird, so I don't have a feel for it yet.

The day was foggy with a little bit of mist... I'd never flown a plane in that before. I was wondering if that might have had something to do with the performance?

If any of you have experienced something like this, I'd like to hear about it before I go changing/experimenting with props etc.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Bax

A 14x7 three-blade prop is a LOT of propeller for that engine. We'd use a 14 x 7 two-blade or a 13 x 8 two blade. For a 3-blade prop, we'd use a 12 x 6 or 7. You want the engine to turn around 11,000 RPM. For the most performance, you can turn it as high as 12,000 RPM. Whatever prop flies the airplane the way you want it to fly is "correct". However, you want the engine running at its best.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
N1EDM

Treating the engine the best way that I can is Rule #1.... thanks for the comments, Bax.

We'll take your advice... What is your opinion about the weather conditions? Temps were warm but muggy with that light fog/mist. Would that be enough to, say, cool the engine down or decrease performance? I was using 10% fuel.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
EalyB (09-30-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.