saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RCV Engines

I think that there are a number of factors to consider. The size and shape of the cowl, the type of plane, sport or scale, and the type of flying would be the most likely contributors.

For me, the two biggest things the SP has for it is the narrow profile, and the large prop. These are important for a scale subject.
For a sport plane, the CD with it's low head and conventional prop size/rpm would probably be the better choice.

Scott

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you run wooden props on the SP series? Seems like I heard they need the mass of a composite prop. I'd like to be able to do WWI with near-scale props, but they would have to be wood.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
mchandrayan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had bought an RCV 58 CD, few years back direct from RCV and it was stored preserved with oil. Recently I started to run it in before mounting it on a model. The model was stored with 2stroke engine oil (as recommended by Laser Engines and flushed off before being run in). The engine starts fine.
I am using 18% all synth (Klotz) and 5% nitro fuel. Running in is on a 12x6 APC prop
Even while running in the engine at recommended 6000 RPM the bottom of the case gets very hot, so much so that you can not put your finger on it. My experience with other engines has been that if the engine is running well the case bottom remains cool where you can keep your finger (only after shutting the engine down does the case bottom temp goes up).
The question for all RCV owners/runners is this normal with RCV? I have about 45 minutes of run time on the engine now and entire running was below 6000 RPM
Appreciate any help or pointers
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have two 58CD engines, but honestly, I do not remember ever touching the bottom of the crankcase to see how hot it is.
As long as the engines ran OK, I never worried about it.  I normally don't go touching the hot engine to see how hot it is. If I do want to know I use a infrared digital thermometer.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
dasintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't comment for sure on the 58CD, however, I have been running the 91CD for about 3-4 years now, and it runs a bit on the Hot side, not as Hot as reported with the 'RCV SP Series Engines'; other than that, my engine runs well, I don't think it puts out the power that other normal 91 size 4 Strokes do such as the OS-90.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Apache06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,
on the SP series engines, due to a 2:1 gear, do I need to add more angle on right to compense the high torque ?
Thanks !
Pascal
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Rocketman612

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache06 View Post
Hello,
on the SP series engines, due to a 2:1 gear, do I need to add more angle on right to compense the high torque ?
Thanks !
Pascal
I did not add any more right thrust than what the model called for. 2deg Rt thrust on my TF 60 size Corsair.

Pete

Search this Thread