Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?

Old 01-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?

Hi RCU'ers,
i just want to know if someone of you have yet tested this engine and what are his oppinion about it?
Is this engine a reliable engine and also dependable?
And how about power?
Thank you for your time!
[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 01-29-2006, 04:01 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?

Kostas:

The FL-70 is an engine that OS has made as cheaply as possible, trying to regain market share.

If you can afford better, stay away from it.

Bill.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying one in a Great Planes Fokker DR-1 and it has been excellent. Starts easily, runs smooth, plenty of power and idles reliably. I haven't found any reason not to like this engine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have many, many flights on this engine without a single problem. Of course this is just my experience with only one engine. Perhaps Bill has owned more of these than I and can speak with more authority on the subject.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
William Robison

Ga:

I've not had any of the FL-70 engines, I'm just looking at the nickel bore, the air bleed carb, the... Also others have made remarks that have been less than flattering.

I have had other OS four strokes, and once I got a Saito I sstarted dumping the OS engines. To me the Saitos are just miles ahead of OS.

Bill.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Harry Lagman

Kostas, I helped set up the only one flying at our field. I had reservations due to the airbleed carb and the lower price point.

To my surprise, it ran quite well out of the box and took about three tanks of fuel to settle down into a reliable 2200 rpm idle. Once it settled it proved to be a very reliable engine.

It pulled a consistent 10,000 rpm with an MA 12x8 K series, so it had quite reasonable power too.

It actually had quite a bit of character - its exhaust note is quite distinctive, seeming to be a little "deeper in tone" compared to other engines its size.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:44 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Hi RCU'ers,
i just want to know if someone of you have yet tested this engine and what are his oppinion about it?
Is this engine a reliable engine and also dependable?
And how about power?
Thank you for your time!
[sm=sunsmiley.gif]

----------------

After owning (and flying) OS, Saito, YS, Enya, ASP, Magnum, HP and other brands of glow four-strokes, guess what I bought a while back? An OS FL-70. I could have bought any engine that I wanted, but I bought the FL-70.

Why?

Because it doesn't have a piston ring and it uses an airbleed carb.

Not having a piston ring means that it will be "broken-in" within a tank or two of fuel, most likely. No prolonged ringed break-in procedure to contend with. It can be flown-in in the model, although I still recommend bench running if you can afford the luxury.

Airbleed carb. I've owned and used many airbleed carbs over the years (nearly fifty). There was a time when this was the only kind of modern carb that was available. They worked perfectly well then and they work perfectly well now. Saito and others still use airbleed carbs in some of their current engines, so OS isn't alone in this regard.

I love engines and I love to try out new concepts. The OS FL-70 is one such engine. Being an OS, I can be reasonably sure that it will end up being a satisfying engine.

I still buy Saitos and old fashioned OS engines. I just received my Saito 1.25 and I have a Saito .56 on the way. I bought a couple of OS .30 four-strokes a few months ago along with an Enya .53-4C. As you can see, I'm not prejudiced.

Some folks just like what they like and there is no talking them out of it with logic, etc. But that is okay. It is their money they are spending and they have the right to insist upon buying what they want. As do I.

I have done a considerable amount of reading regarding the FL-70. While I have seen a few negative reports, the vast majority have been in favor of the engine. This is by folks that are actually using them. I was impressed with the competence level of some of the young FL-70 users whose comments I've read. They seem to have their act together. I trusted their opinions.

Now to get mine installed in my Funstar 3D and give it a try in the real world.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

This is by folks that are actually using them.
A salient point... [8D] I continue to be amazed at the folks who feel compelled to give advice despite the fact that they have zero actual experience with the product in question. I suspect these are also the people who protest when you confuse an argument with actual facts.

I'm with you Ed, I too can buy any engine on the market today and also own OS, Saito, Magnum etc. etc. I'm not blindly loyal to any particular name brand. The FL70 appears to be an excellent value for the $ invested and fills a niche in the market nicely.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Woody 51

I agree with Ed. I cannot see the problem with air bleed carby's. Once set right, they work just fine.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 AM
XJet
Banned

I'm also an admirer of the simplicity and surprisingly good performance of a well-designed air-bleed carby.

The only engine I've still got with an AB carb is my TT42GP and that thing will idle all day at just a tick-over, then give full power in an instant without loading up or hesitating -- which is more than I can say for a lot of cheap Chinese twin-needle-equipped engines.

A good twin needle carby has the potential to out-perform an airbleed unit but so many of these rotten twin-needle carbs (such as the SuperTigre, SK and some GMS units, etc) are just so poorly designed that they give inferior results.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Kostas1

So,
do you suggest this engine in comparison with an OS 61 FX?
I am looking to buy an engine for my GP Extra 300s ARF 40 size plane,that has enough power for unlimited vertical!
Also,what are the negatives this engine has?
Is this engine similar in quality as an OS 70 Surpass or a YS 63 FZ-S?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
DarZeelon

Kostas,

For just about $20-30 more, you can buy a Surpass III...

The Surpass will take a longer break-in, but is is worth the extra dough.

With all the lower cost items in the FL, it should cost only half as much as the Surpass. It doesn't.

The Surpass is a better buy, as I see it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
William Robison

All:

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees
I continue to be amazed at the folks who feel compelled to give advice despite the fact that they have zero actual experience with the product in question.
I have sampled many late OS engines, and if not disappointed by the quality, then the performance, longevity, or just the price was a nasty shock.

And the FL-70. It is not necessary to sample every menu item at your local greasy spoon to know you aren't going to be happy eating therre. I also stay away from MacDonald's, the average quiality at Burger King is much higher at the same approximate price.

The "Burger King" of model engines can be said to be the Magnum line, and OS, except for the price, is MacDonald's.

As for the price, OS is up there with the Saito engines, but OS does not have the modern design, generally lighter weight, and efficiency of the Saito line.

Another comparison. You may think the Ford cars are the ones to buy. Have you ever owned a Pinto? Even the best can make a clunker.

I do not have to buy an FL-70 to know there are much better engines for a similar price.

Bill.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So,
do you suggest this engine in comparison with an OS 61 FX?
The 61FX will have more power.

I have been playing around with a cessna and installed a magnum 65, and the FL-70. The 65 2 stroke has quite alot more power than my FL-70.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: William Robison

All:

I continue to be amazed at the folks who feel compelled to give advice despite the fact that they have zero actual experience with the product in question.
I have sampled many late OS engines, and if not disappointed by the quality, then the performance, longevity, or just the price was a nasty shock.

And the FL-70. It is not necessary to sample every menu item at your local greasy spoon to know you aren't going to be happy eating therre. I also stay away from MacDonald's, the average quiality at Burger King is much higher at the same approximate price.

The "Burger King" of model engines can be said to be the Magnum line, and OS, except for the price, is MacDonald's.

As for the price, OS is up there with the Saito engines, but OS does not have the modern design, generally lighter weight, and efficiency of the Saito line.

Another comparison. You may think the Ford cars are the ones to buy. Have you ever owned a Pinto? Even the best can make a clunker.

I do not have to buy an FL-70 to know there are much better engines for a similar price.

Bill.

------------------

I owned/drove a used, worn-out, Pinto wagon for four years. It performed admirably. Never made me walk, always started in the cold weather up North when others wouldn't, and didn't cost me hardly anything to keep it running. I guess it depends upon what you expect from a product. That's why they make both Fords and Chevys.

Personally, I enjoy eating at McDonalds, rather than a restaurant. It's just food. Fill the crevace and go on to do other things. Eating is not recreation for me.

My point is that we all have different values and expectations. I wouldn't condemn an engine without using it and finding it to be lacking first. Yes, you can extrapolate with a fair amount of accuracy when knowledgable, but you miss a lot of surprises in life when you do. Some are very pleasant surprises too.

The FL-70 appears to be pointed to the younger 3D crowd. As such, being low priced while containing useful features for this type of flying is a good thing. Thought most folks wouldn't admit to it, being expendable is a good thing when flying 3D. <G>

Yes, it should carry a lower selling price, I do agree with that point. Maybe it will, eventually, but when you think of the few shortcuts that were taken, I doubt that it will come down much.

Saito started this light contest. Now they have the inklings of some competition. The battle that ensues should be interesting to observe.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
JimmyCP

what do you think about an O.S. FL-70 on a magic extra that a got???
Old 03-07-2006, 05:26 PM
William Robison

Jimmy:

what do you think about an O.S. FL-70 on a magic extra that a got???
If you insist on using an OS engine the 46 AX is a much better choice.

Bill.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:07 PM
JimmyCP

if i want this plane for 3D you think the 2 stroke is better than the 4 stroke because some of my friend are telling me to go or the 4 strokes but i don't want to spend to much
Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
William Robison

Jimmy:

One of my very few OS engines in service is in a Modeltech Magic, it is a 46 FX, I couldn't ask for any better performance in the plane. The Magic Extra is similar enough that I think its performance should be identical.

Another consideration is that if you are just learning 3D you are going to have some unplanned landings. Not only is the AX less expensive than the FL to put on the plane at the starts, it's cheaper when you have to buy another.

Bill.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
JimmyCP

thank you for your tips
Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: William Robison

All:

Bill.

In other words, don't confuse this discussion with facts. Instead of offering advice based upon any actual experience with the product in question just make broad generalizations based on - of all things - fast food. Unbelievable.

With all due respect, do you have any actual data to offer to support your statements at all? Which OS engines, specifically, have you sampled? What was the problem with the quality? Be specific. How do the performance specs differ from your Saitos? Where are the numbers? In terms of longevity again where is the data? How much longer does your "Burger King" brand last? Prices? That should be the easiest one of all. Again, numbers please.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Kostas1

Yes you are CORRECT about R.W.
He is always blaming OS because he likes only some cheap trush engines.
That's all.
He doesn't have any experience with OS,or too little in his first steps in RC[:-]!!!!!!!
So,
W.R. go with a trush engine (you know exactly what i mean),{i've seen numerous posts of OS QUALITY....},

AND leave the others to keep buying OS so as to have great quality,longevity,great machining and after market support!!
Kostas
Greece
Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kostas1
You should talk about other people, (in many other instances) you post on threads totally unrelated to OS engines and then allways seem to throw a pitch in that if it ain't an OS it is trash.[:@]
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ford is far from the best. My worst reliable car was a Mazda, the next an AMC Pacer (actually my wife's), the next a Pinto. So that is two in the bottom list. I also owned a Ford Taurus and it just missed the worst list. The best were a Toyota Corrola, and Dodge Caravan, followed so far (crossed fingers) by a Jeep Cherokee). My next vehicle will probably be a Dodge Ram truck.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Kostas1

Speak with facts and don't post thoughts that came out of your mind,ok?
[X(][X(][X(][X(]
And also stay at the topic!!!!!LOOOL
Old 03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Kostas, I happen to agree with Motorman, if you don't like Saitos don't buy them, if other folks don't like OSs, don't try to force them. I have two OS LAs and 13 Saitos and I like them all, it doesn't heve to be either, or.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.